Charles Fischer

FishDuck Article: "Will Oregon Hoops Ever Beat Curse of the Buffaloes?"

The No. 17 Oregon Ducks men’s basketball team didn’t play bad on the road on Thursday afternoon against the Colorado Buffaloes (12-2, 1-0 Pac-12). In fact, the Ducks (8-2, 3-1) had pretty decent performances from the usual suspects — Chris Duarte led with 27 points, six rebounds, four steals and two blocks; Eugene Omoruyi scored 18 points and grabbed six ...

Read the full article here...

Mr. FishDuck

With a 0-10 record in mile high Colorado, the only thing I can say is the Ducks just aren't UP to it there. 

Sesame Street Television GIF

It's very strange. The Final 4 team couldn't beat the Buffs in Colorado. Duarte did end up with a great stat line, better than he averaged when he was named Player of the Week, for his performance against Cal & Stanford last week. Yet, Duarte and his teammates were ineffective again, unable to play their game.

Oregon always looks tired when they play in Colorado. The offense isn't crisp, too much standing around. On defense, the pressure was effective at times. But too often, Buffaloes found clear paths to the basket. The streak is now at 10. Two more and it will match what the football team did to the Huskies. 

Altitude in Eugene, 420 feet. Altitude in Boulder, 5,328 feet. That could be a reason the Ducks struggle there.

Certainly, as Annie said, altitude is surely a contributor to the Duck foibles in CO.  What bugs me is the almost singular use of the weave in the half court offense.  When, apparently, the screeners become tired, they no longer dive to the basket, nor will the bigs do a decent job of posting up at the free throw line in that offense...depending on the defense used.  The result looks like a hot mess with players completely disconnected, wings running around the perimeter until the shot clock runs down and a panicked shot/drive is launched.  How do you spell discombobulated?  🤔

The success achieved last year with this offense I believe was solely due to the fantastic ability of Payton Pritchard.  Many teams use the weave...but I know of none that rely on it so exclusively...hoping for drives to the basket if/when a defender gets lost in the 'chaos'.  It, in my mind is a really passive offense...waiting for a defensive mistake.

At least that's my quite uneducated view of Altman's strategy.  I may be mistaken in my views and, if so, would love some experienced clarity on the offense.

Edited by Mudslide

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Altitude in Eugene, 420 feet. Altitude in Boulder, 5,328 feet. That could be a reason the Ducks struggle there.

Yep, totally agree. It's just to high up for the sea level Ducks. 

50 minutes ago, Mudslide said:

It, in my mind is a really passive offense...waiting for a defensive mistake.

At least that's my quite uneducated view of Altman's strategy. 

You actually nailed it, and what is missing. Not only is Pritchard gone, Richardson isn't there either. Duarte, and Omoruyi are putting up points, but those are not coming through the offense as they would with the experienced point guard, that neither Terry or Hardy are, running it.

1 hour ago, Annie said:

That could be a reason the Ducks struggle there.

Colorado is good at home. Since they joined the conference in 2011-12, the Buffaloes are 65-19 at home, in conference games, 77.4%, not bad. However, not as good as the Ducks have been in that time, 70-13, 84.3%.

I don't subscribe to the altitude of Eugene vs Boulder theory.

Corvallis, Or = 235 feet altitude.

Since 2010/11;

Oregon State record in Boulder = 3 wins vs 5 losses.

Tad Boyle just seems to have Dana's number in Boulder.

In Eugene is another story as the Ducks have won all but one game against the Buffs in that time frame.

We need to put the 0 for 10 record in Boulder to rest.

Per the GoDucks website, Oregon has only played 8 games in Boulder since 2010/11, with all being losses. Officially 0 for 8 in that time frame. https://goducks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2019-20

Edited by ICamel