30Duck

Justin leads Chargers to a Thrilling Come From Behind Win!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 2

man it's a little painful watching how Herbert is lighting up things in the NFL, the ducks didn't come close to helping him reach his potential... i know he has better targets now but still

• Thumbs Up 3

Herbert so smart, so accurate, so quick to release the ball, and a rocket for an arm!  Love this Duck alum!  Go Chargers!

• Thumbs Up 1

Justin needed 119 yards for the record. He has 170 at halftime.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 2

Justin's night:

30-41 382 yards, 3 TD's

6 carries 93 yards

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN?

That was a sterling effort throwing and running the ball.

UNDERUTILIZED. Such a shame and such a waste of talent at Oregon.

Let's take the best QB in CFB and put him under wraps so he doesn't screw up. 

Fed up!

• Thumbs Up 3

Me, too. Fortunately NFL scouts recognized Herbert’s ability even if Cristobal didn’t.

• Thumbs Up 1

He was legendary at Oregon, and what a hometown story.

What is amazing is seeing NFL receivers drop his passes, just too quick, too hard. He also just kills the DB's because they still can't believe he is going to make the passes he does.

I am not going to go down the Cristobal didn't use Herbert right. He held him back, kept him healthy, and won a lot of games. 

Most are right, if he had the receivers we have on the bench now when he was a freshman, they could have created an amazing passing game. He had one receiver who he could count on, one. 

Fortunately we have the receivers and qb's developing to create what we all want. All we need is the patience, but that isn't easy.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 12:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

He was legendary at Oregon, and what a hometown story.

What is amazing is seeing NFL receivers drop his passes, just too quick, too hard. He also just kills the DB's because they still can't believe he is going to make the passes he does.

I am not going to go down the Cristobal didn't use Herbert right. He held him back, kept him healthy, and won a lot of games. 

Most are right, if he had the receivers we have on the bench now when he was a freshman, they could have created an amazing passing game. He had one receiver who he could count on, one. 

Fortunately we have the receivers and qb's developing to create what we all want. All we need is the patience, but that isn't easy.

It's year 4. I have no patience left. QB's developing? Where? On the bench? WRs developing? As blockers?

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching Justin become Rookie of the Year last year was the beginning of the end for me on Cristobal and gang. I know there are a lot of excuses out there for why he wasn't more successful here but .... COME ON! 

If the HC or OC or both couldn't recognize and develop his talent at Oregon do we really need to worry if any of them leave now? Maybe we haven't seen the young QB's get time because they just don't know what to do with the young players. Maybe they like going with AB because he's older, more experienced and they supposedly don't need to coach him up much. In other words, maybe as coaches they just don't want to work that hard for their millions.

There have been many good comments today. The team wasn't ready to play yesterday, that's for sure. I think the real measure of MC for the season and his long term trajectory in Eugene will be how he gets the team ready for the Beavs. We'll know in the first quarter.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can't believe that Herbert is so brilliant that he deliberately undersold himself to the NFL just in order to get drafted low enough to play for his childhood heroes, the Chargers. Man, what incredible foresight and strategy.

Edited by toketeeman

Note: at least THREE of his passes were outright DROPS last night. That would have made his completion rate skyrocket to over 80%.

MC: the transfer portal's answer for a supply chain.

• Like 1

I felt all along that Herbert was being protected by his coaches by limiting what he could do.....primarily because they had no one behind him to really take over the QB helm.  He rarely ran until the last two games of his Oregon career.  Was that a wise decision on the part of the staff???  Well, he never got seriously injured more than once and he's still physically OK to do the things we enjoy watching him do in the NFL.  It certainly is heartwarming to see him doing so well for the Chargers......and now having an improved O line in front of him.  It's the only team I care to watch on Sunday (or hopefully Monday evening). 

On 11/22/2021 at 2:50 PM, FG Lumber said:

It's the only team I care to watch on Sunday (or hopefully Monday evening). 

Same here.

Not to defend the coaching disappointments most of us feel, but here are some facts to consider before making comparisons.

1. Most College coaches are NOT as good as NFL coaches

2. NFL players are all best college players

3. Kids grow up to be men and become better players over time

Sometimes things are just how they are... To expect too much only makes us grumpy.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2021 at 12:23 AM, DimpleDucks said:

In other words, maybe as coaches they just don't want to work that hard for their millions.

I think the real measure of MC for the season and his long term trajectory in Eugene will be how he gets the team ready for the Beavs. We'll know in the first quarter.

Ouch - that first statement sounds a bit accusatory and egregious?  Do you really feel MC, JM and DeR don’t work hard?  Really?!

No doubt we got our azz handed to us last week on all sides of the ball. There are so many complexities to that “why” that I can’t answer. 

Your second point I will agree with completely. Next game will prove the depth of coaching prowess (oh I almost can’t believe I said that!) and rallying around next man up. 

GO DUCKS!

On 11/22/2021 at 9:11 PM, DurangoJim said:

Ouch - that first statement sounds a bit accusatory and egregious?  Do you really feel MC, JM and DeR don’t work hard?  Really?!

No doubt we got our azz handed to us last week on all sides of the ball. There are so many complexities to that “why” that I can’t answer. 

Your second point I will agree with completely. Next game will prove the depth of coaching prowess (oh I almost can’t believe I said that!) and rallying around next man up. 

GO DUCKS!

You have cherry picked one sentence and took it out of context, leaving the meaning it was attached to dangling in the breeze!

If you look back, you'll see that I was referring to coaches during Herbert's final two years. This article by Steven Ruiz for the site theringer.com provides a lot of insight as to why he only truly started to blossom in the pros: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/10/11/22716557/justin-herbert-chargers-leap-2021-browns-win

A quote by John Beck, a former NFL QB, quarterback trainer and Herbert's private quarterback coach, stands out: 

"Beck says the Ducks coaching staff was more concerned with their young quarterback playing with a clear head rather than overcoaching his mechanics. Ideal footwork was seen as a luxury rather than a necessity, and getting Herbert prepared for Sundays wasn’t their biggest priority. They were trying to win games—and having their ultra-talented quarterback play loose was the best way to do it.

And this: “[Oregon] had footwork that they had set up within their system, but it was more of a frame of reference,” Beck said. “There weren’t nailed-down specifics … the coaches knew how talented he was, and they didn’t want him to get hung up on those throws. It was always, ‘Just let it go, Justin. Go get the next one. It’ll be fine.’ But he had a desire to know why he wasn’t making those throws.”

They knew how talented his was, but they didn't want to dig for the answer for off target catches, which Beck says was a timing issue and not "an overly complicated fix".

Do I think "JM and DeR" are working hard enough? Don't know, and DeR is the DC--this is where context matters. 🙂  How much is Moorhead working with the QB's? Hard to say, especially since they don't seem ready to play. I was referring to the 2018, 2019 seasons and Arroyo was the OC/QB coach. The only constant is MC and I don't think he's earning his keep so far.

His concern about burning a redshirt(s) if they had put in one of the backups at Utah during the most important game leading to a potential CFP berth, strikes me as backward. That means they've gone all season planning for ONE QB and have apparently not planned for injury. That's playing it safe to the max--maybe a leftover artifact from MC's training as a Secret Service agent. And we should note that AB did hurt his wrist during the WSU game as well as tweaking it at Utah. A redshirt may yet get burned.

Forum-ites comment often that players we recruit are star players who are hoping to go pro. Are coaches concerned about that? I think only if the talent is immediate and doesn't need much work.

In Herbert's case, they weren't concerned about it even though they recognized his incredible talent! I would think there should have been some focus from on high (MC) to get a good QB coach who could have worked with Herbert so that he could have performed here as he does in the pros now. If recruits are being sold any notion of "come here and we'll help develop you for the pros" then they might be hugely disappointed. Hence, my comment that maybe coaches don't want to work that hard.

So....things are too complex in the college game to add learning mechanics to it, but he can learn them AND the much higher complexities of the NFL?

Not throwing shade at you, but it does raise questions about QB coaching.

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah, I was going to mention something about those "complexities" for the loss at Utah that DurangoJim brought up. They could be boiled down to out coached and out executed. 🙂

• Haha 1