Grandpa Duck

Fire the Coach?

Dissatisfaction after the disaster in Salt Lake, Saturday, has our message-board critics carping at Mario Cristobol.

In the thread: “MC over-valued”, below, Cockroach says: “MC never will have higher ranking for the Ducks, Our only Hope is their another UNLV out there you will rescue us. The transfer portal will be many leaving the team. Who would want to be a receiver with the ducks?  Hire Mike Leach.” 

Now, if Jonathan would all of a sudden think he would look better in green and yellow than Halloween colors, that would be great.” chips in Haywarduck.

“Progressing? What difference did you see in last night's No Show vs the 2019 No Show at ASU? In 2019 and last night, I saw 2 Ducks teams totally unprepared to compete and defeat inferior foes.” contributes Jon Joseph, before offering: “I'd take Kiffin in a heart beat. But why would he come?”

“I think MC would make a fine O line coach.”  suggests 1Ducker1.  And on and on.

The first rule of replacing a highly paid employee who has a multiple-year contract is to look where you’re going to land before you leap.

So in the modern era, defined by my actual recollection of Duck head football coach transition, what is our history of finding that landing place after a head football coach departed?  There was great excitement in our household when my Dad participated in the interview process for Len Casanova, 1951-1966.  

At Oregon, Cas had a winning record, (82-73-8).  The “8” represents ties, an ancient outcome of some football games.  Cas came to us from Santa Clara.  That school discontinued football in 1992. 

Cas retired, and in the ten ensuing seasons, Oregon fired three “unsuccessful” head football coaches in succession:

Jerry Frei, 1967-71 (22-29-2)

Dick Enright, 1972-73 (6-16)

Don Read, 1974-76 (9-24)

If you think things are bad now, as a law student and then a season ticket holder during that decade, being a Duck fan could be very embarrassing.  

Then, the horror of all possible outcomes, in a so-called national search, we hired a Beaver.

Rich Brooks, 1977-1994 (91-109-4}

Rich did us a huge favor when he hired Mike Bellotti away from Chico State as OC, and followed Mike’s recommendation to hire his friend and former team mate at Cal Davis, Nick Allioti.

When Rich retired in 1994, we hired his OC, Bellotti, from within. 

When Mike retired in 2008, we hired his OC, Chip Kelly, from within.

When Kelly retired we hired his OC, Mark Helfrich, from within.  (There’s a pattern here).

We fired Mark, and in the first real head football coaching search since 1977, the Ducks found Willie Taggart.  The best thing Willie did in his less than a year at Oregon was hire Mario Cristobal as his Offensive Line Coach and co-offensive coordinator.

So in 2017, our only real coaching search since finding Brooks 40 years earlier in 1977, we produced Willie Taggart from South Florida. 

Just what are the primary responsibilities of a head football coach at a major program?

Here’s my take:

1.  Set the tone for a program that keeps the donors and majority of fans happy.

2.  Hire and monitor the coaching staff.

3.  Recruit, and in that respect, be a person who can go into a prospect’s home and gain the trust of his parents to shepherd their child safely through the extremely difficult experience of being a major college football player.  After that, recruit,  and then recruit some more.

Head football coaches determine what the offensive style will be only when they hire the OC, who bases that style on the skills of the available players.  Oregon runs the ball now because the QB who gives us the best chance to win is not a great passer, but is a far better than average QB running the ball.  The OC, not the head coach, decides what the offensive style will be.

Bellotti changed the direction of Oregon football as OC.  Kelly changed the direction Oregon football as OC.  Whether Joe Morehead changes the direction of Oregon football remains to be seen.  Next year, probably with Ty Thompson as QB, maybe even this week, our offensive style could be very different.

In four years Mario Cristobal is 34-11 (.755).  Of all the Duck coaches named above, only Chip Kelly did better.  Kelly was a rare “find” in New Hampshire when Bellotti picked him to become his successor.  Some would argue that his skill as a tactician does not transfer to running a program.  His major deficiency being garnering that trust from parents of players.

Which one from the following list of schools where some of our head coaches have been employed jumps out at you?  Santa Clara, Chico State, New Hampshire, South Florida, Alabama.

Does anyone really think there is someone out there, someone willing to live in the Pacific Northwest and put their career into the PAC-12, who will do better than Mario?  This is not a time for a leap into the unknown

My great fear is that Mario’s wife Jessica and their two sons, Mario Mateo and Rocco will grow weary of the rain and cold in Eugene and they will all encourage our coach to move on to some place with a fairer climate, like where he grew up, in the SEC.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 5

This is my quote, "Cristobal and all his weaknesses is our coach, end of story." and that is about as negative as I got.

I never said Now, if Jonathan would all of a sudden think he would look better in green and yellow than Halloween colors, that would be great.” chips in Haywarduck.

Agree with what you are saying, but we have to get the quotes correct.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 6:39 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

My great fear is that Mario’s wife Jessica and their two sons, Mario Mateo and Rocco will grow weary of the rain and cold in Eugene and they will all encourage our coach to move on to some place with a fairer climate, like where he grew up, in the SEC.

My great fear is Mario's wife Jessica and their two sons, will tire of the fair weather fans. The weather is the least of my worries. How a person can live in the south, humidity and heat, is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 5

Now, if Jonathan would all of a sudden think he would look better in green and yellow than Halloween colors, that would be great.” chips in Haywarduck.

That was mine, and if JS was suddenly the Ducks Head Coach, I'd feel good about the future. He definitely has the Beavers headed in the right direction. They haven't broken through in recruiting yet, but are attracting good players via the portal. They are playing better at home than on the road, we'll see about that on Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

If we were back 30 or more years ago when the $$ was short and the program was not trying to become a Nationally dominant football team I would have been very happy to have MC as our head coach and EMBRACE everything about him.

Things have changed since then, expectations are much much higher, Way Way more $$ is thrown into the program-more than just about any other PAC school and a few yrs back #12 nationally--Thats the BIG Stage. So today things are different.

Edited by 1Ducker1

The first rule of replacing a highly paid employee who has a multiple-year contract is to look where you’re going to land before you leap.

An outstanding post, and what also is not addressed by many are all the openings for coaches, and how few good ones are available.  We would be experimenting with another assistant and could do a lot worse...

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

A very injured and very young team drops to 9-2 and some want Mario's head. Give me a break! He's a great person, a great recruiter, and is doing a great job as a coach. Lighten up. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 5

On 11/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, Duck 68 said:

A very injured and very young team drops to 9-2 and some want Mario's head. Give me a break! He's a great person, a great recruiter, and is doing a great job as a coach. Lighten up. 

We got through one gauntlet of injuries only to face a whole new set this year. This year's team is horribly snake bitten.

Also... we weren't going to win a National Championship with Brown leading this offense so lets not kid ourselves there either. Thompson has played in 3 games, so he has one more game left before he burns his redshirt. As fans we would have burned it ages ago but we don't make the calls and we are obsessed with the star-rating beside his name.

I think the coaching staff learned a lesson last year with Shough. He was the starter going into last season, he didn't have a full spring or fall camp and he performed, ok actually, but Brown started taking over because Shough was struggling to stay calm and make the right reads. Pulling Shough and replacing him with Brown is probably the reason he transferred. If we had a full off season in 2020 and a full season maybe Shough would have been prepared enough to keep the job and would be our QB this year... he throws the ball better than Brown. So I think the coaching staff is cautious with Thompson right now, let him develop on his own time to make a real run next year.

A Pac-12 Championship and a Rose Bowl are still in play this year which for a team composed of 50% Freshman is still a big deal. If Oregon wants to be Clemson of the West (well not this year's Clemson... but typical Clemson) then we have to own the west first and then go for the Playoff.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

No chance the coach will be fired, so even though some might mumble it or think it it's not going to happen.

The bigger fear is the last statement coupled with the big payout and the chance for Mario to really recruit big at a school like Florida, LSU, Miami etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Saturday didn't present anything we haven't already seen all year long. Of course we hadn't seen it all in ONE game before.

They're young, inexperienced, injured, bad in spots (due to injury), and 19 years old.

The sky isn't falling, it's right where it's always been.

Beat the Beavs, win the Civil War!

All Hail the King of the North

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, Charles Fischer said:

An outstanding post, and what also is not addressed by many are all the openings for coaches, and how few good ones are available.  We would be experimenting with another assistant and could do a lot worse...

Looking at it through the lens of a business owner, why would you possibly want to jump into the coach search at this time?

So many coaches fired, so I assume you won’t want any of them, which in turn opens up the same many positions to fill. Supply and demand - the price goes up, decisions revolve around said pricing via competition and the opportunity to make a bad decision rises. No way can this be a good time to make a coaching change.

Given the state of the program, the end of season potential ahead of us, injuries, relatively new OC and DC, and a big QB change next year, the opportunity presents itself for the team to morph in it’s play style.

If I was King, come end of January, I would clearly lay out expectations for end of 2022/3 season and set the tone. Then spring of 2024, given all the above and how that all evolves (or not), a coaching change may be the right call. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What is Mario's Mendoza Line?

How many years should Mario be given to reach the Playoff? How many years of losing to inferior teams on the road and scrapping by inferior teams at home will be acceptable? In how many big games will rushing for less than 70 yards and allowing 240 yards rushing be acceptable? How long will playing at altitude, injuries and the team's youth keep Mario off of the hook? How long will the team's retrogressing during the course of the season be acceptable? 

What you see today with Mario is what you will continue to see. A very good man. A very good recruiter. A baffling failure of the roster not playing up to its potential. An antiquated offense that will not win titles. A coach who has won around 60% of his games as a head coach.

I asked if anyone saw 'progress' from the 2019 PO game failure at ASU, to the debacle we witnessed on Saturday night? A debacle that confirmed beyond doubt the 'experts' view of Oregon and the Pac-12. A blowout loss at the hands of a team that was 7-3, ranked 23 with losses vs BYU, Oregon State and San Diego State. Ls to teams ranked 14 and 19 and to a NR team. Oregon came in ranked 3 with a win on the road at the #4 ranked team in the country. A win against a team that earlier in the day blew out the #7 team. 

Fire him? With Mario's buyout does Oregon if it wanted to, have the money to fire him and pay the buyout of a replacement coach? So no, I would not fire Mario. But at the same time I would not give him a bump in pay and a contract extension before he earns it.

Many seem to be perfectly satisfied with a division championship over multi-loss teams, a conference championship over a multi-loss team, a non-PO Rose Bowl or other NY6 bowl appearance; or, playing in the Alamo Bowl? Satisfied with the conference making the PO 2 out of out 8 years. Satisfied with the conference falling farther behind the B1G, SEC and based on today's rankings and records, the 'New B12.' conferences. Satisfied with the status quo but for an extra P5 OOC game vs a B1G or ACC team.

If the above defines 'success,' then Mario is the guy. And I say this will all due respect to those who are happy with Mario and his performance to date. Not all aspire to be national champions, which is fine.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/22/2021 at 10:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

What you see today with Mario is what you will continue to see. A very good man. A very good recruiter. A baffling failure of the roster not playing up to its potential. An antiquated offense that will not win titles. A coach who has won around 60% of his games as a head coach.

Jon, we got it.  You have told us your view three times....today.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

Since I saw my first Duck football game, 52 years ago I/ve wanted them to win the championship. Remember when The Ducks beat the Beavers and Jerry Allen could barely get out, "The Ducks are going to play for the National Championship!"

That was a big deal, and then they did it again, and Jerry didn't have as much trouble spreading the news. 

This season, after it was proven that 1-time out of 10, Oregon will beat Ohio State, The talent discrepancy between the Buckeyes and the Ducks is greater than between Oregon and the other Pac-12 teams.

Oregon was in contention for the CFP,  but then they got blitzed by Utah, while Ohio State bulldozed over No. 7 Michigan State.

Next time the Ducks play in the Championship Game, it again will be a Big Deal.

IMHO if we lose MC we are going to be in a world of hurt, and most Greybeards know why.  

Pop Tv Hope GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I look forward to seeing how Mario does next year so I hope he sticks around... that said I just saw this picture and thought it felt very timely after this weekend.

Created by https://twitter.com/nathanwpyle

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

deschutesduck....that is awesome!  Painful, funny and true.

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/22/2021 at 1:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"Painful..."  

"In Particular Hats"

Cat Hat GIF

• Haha 4

Thank you gpa duck. Well said.

After watching that debacle in Utah, it's understandable we would have some negative reactions by some of us. But with the rising of the sun, a new day brings a bit more of a calmer resolve.

We should all hope that MC is still our guy come January. Florida, Miami, LSU is a lot of interest to ignore. There are many reasons a young family would want dad to move, being close to relatives would be a big one.

The real problem is expectations. Like everything, we want it all and we want it now.

Our team is young. We had lots of injuries. It is also the first full year for both coordinators.

To me, that's a lot of newness.

My real concern is the next game.

How will this team respond, that will say tons about our coaching staff.

• Like 1

Thank you, very well written.  I've been watching almost that long also.

Do I like our offensive system, not really.

Do I remember Justin Herbert not being allowed to throw either, yes.

Do I remember that the last time we looked for a HC, all we came up with was Slick Willie, yes.

Am I aware that there are multiple high end programs looking for a coach now, yes

Would I hire Lane Kiffin, yes in a second.

Is this the time to look for an new coach with a 9-2 record and chance at Rose Bowl, I'd say NO

Over expectations of a deluded fanbase, probably.

Curious as to what took place with Micah Pittman, yes.

Does Mario win, yes..............................

On 11/22/2021 at 9:19 AM, Duck 68 said:

Utah lost their entire secondary, several lineman, and their starting QB.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, Jemangi said:

Thank you, very well written.  I've been watching almost that long also.

Do I like our offensive system, not really.

Do I remember Justin Herbert not being allowed to throw either, yes.

Do I remember that the last time we looked for a HC, all we came up with was Slick Willie, yes.

Am I aware that there are multiple high end programs looking for a coach now, yes

Would I hire Lane Kiffin, yes in a second.

Is this the time to look for an new coach with a 9-2 record and chance at Rose Bowl, I'd say NO

Over expectations of a deluded fanbase, probably.

Curious as to what took place with Micah Pittman, yes.

Does Mario win, yes..............................

Didn’t look like it Saturday when we played a team with half the talent and a back up QB.   Mario wins because the ducks have ten times the talent.  

Yes, talent is a huge factor.  Mario gets it here.  Kelly won with Bellotti's players.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, Duck 68 said:

It's the Duck fans favorite pass time.  Everybody that watched this team week in week out knows they were not a #3 team. It was just a matter of time before it was revealed. Beat beavus and get another crack at Utah. I think the Ducks can beat the Utes and am looking forward to a rematch.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

One of the only good things about getting old is that - at least theoretically - it gives you a little perspective.

So, when some commenters, who are sounding a little entitled to me (is that okay, Charles?), claim that the grass is always greener on the other side, the backup quarterback is always better than the starter, and some other coach would really turn things around, I say be careful what you wish for. Snap decisions are rarely good decisions.

The Ducks are ahead of most predictions, ranked in the top 15, with a chance at the PAC championship and the Rose Bowl. Most of the other 130-odd teams in D1 wish they could say the same thing. Under Mario's reign, they've done pretty darn well.

How is it that we know better than the coaches who have devoted their careers to the game, who see the players every day in practice, who have their jobs on the line every game?

And, the team's success or failure has nothing to do with the fans attitude. Being "demanding" as a fan has nothing to do with anything, other than maybe making yourself more upset at a loss and a pain in the neck at home. An attitude that anything less than a natty is "unacceptable" means nothing, unless I guess if you're a booster and want to donate hundreds of thousands to the program to make a natty happen. What we fans accept or don't accept is irrelevant.

So, kick the Beavers to the curb, and then beat Utah. I know I'll be watching.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 12:59 PM, Confused said:

Didn’t look like it Saturday when we played a team with half the talent and a back up QB.   Mario wins because the ducks have ten times the talent.  

Yes you are correct, Mario wins because he has more talent, not because he his great on gameday or scheming. 

But he is the reason we have all this talent.  (remember Scott Frost saying you can't get great players to Eugene.)  

Mario supporters like myself will argue this point, but Mario detractors like yourself will make valid points about player development and clock management.  

It's kind of like debating what came first the chicken or the egg.  

Lets just hope AB has a good game against the Beavs, if not no PAC championship this year.

Looking back at the coaching changes the year Mario was elevated to head coach illustrates how difficult getting the right fit can be.  I think half of the following list have already been fired and I'm not sure anyone has done a better job than our own MC.  A couple "home run" hires are still employed but have very warm seats.  Who would you choose given the opportunity?

Arizona                    Rich Rodriguez     Kevin Sumlin

Arizona State         Todd Graham        Herm Edwards

Arkansas                 Bret Bielema       Chad Morris

Florida                     Jim McElwain       Dan Mullen

Florida State          Jimbo Fisher       Willie Taggart

Georgia Southern  Tyson Summers      Chad Lunsford

Kent State               Paul Haynes        Sean Lewis

Louisiana-Lafayette  Mark Hudspeth  Billy Napier

Mississippi State  Dan Mullen        Joe Moorhead

Nebraska                Mike Riley        Scott Frost

Ole Miss                 Matt Luke (I)     Matt Luke

Oregon                   Willie Taggart    Mario Cristobal

Oregon State        Gary Andersen     Jonathan Smith

Rice                        David Bailiff     Mike Bloomgren

SMU                       Chad Morris       Sonny Dykes

South Alabama    Joey Jones        Steve Campbell

Tennessee             Butch Jones       Jeremy Pruitt

Texas A&M            Kevin Sumlin      Jimbo Fisher

UCF                         Scott Frost       Josh Heupel

UCLA                     Jim Mora          Chip Kelly

UTEP                     Sean Kugler       Dana Dimel

• Thumbs Up 2

I just don't know of a coach that Oregon would get if Mario wasn't here anymore, that fans would think, "Yeah, this is the Guy who will get us to the Playoffs every year". How many of them are there now, not named Nick Saban?

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the U of O is a quality sports university. Ill just let the powers that be hire the coaches. 

The season record will speak for its self.

• Thanks 2

On 11/22/2021 at 4:48 PM, McDuck said:

Looking back at the coaching changes the year Mario was elevated to head coach illustrates how difficult getting the right fit can be. 

McDuck....that is an outstanding post with tons of research done.  For a first post?  You really helped the community, so I welcome you and thank you!

Mr. FishDuck

Here is the problem Oregon’s offense slid from scoring 34.85 ppg in 2018 to 32.73 in 2021. Oregon’s defense slightly improved from allowing 25.38 ppg to 24 in 2021.  

This stagnation would be a problem if we had the same level of talent we did in 2018.  We don’t, our talent is far superior and the metrics are the same or worse. that is no bueno because the recruits will stop flowing and the metrics will fall off.  

Do I want him fired? No, not at all.  

What I want is these metrics to improve.  But you can’t improve your metrics when every victory is “a validation of the system” and every loss is an excuse.  Mr.Cristobal system cost the conference 6 million and our players the chance to showcase their talent at the playoffs 

On 11/22/2021 at 5:23 PM, Pocketchange said:

every loss is an excuse.

Just honestly curious as to what you would like Mario to say after a loss. Every coach is fluent in coach-speak, and that's what we get from them all, except for maybe Mike Leach who I think is a psycho.

• Haha 1

Here is the problem Oregon’s offense slid from scoring 34.85 ppg in 2018 to 32.73 in 2021. Oregon’s defense slightly improved from allowing 25.38 ppg to 24 in 2021.  

This stagnation would be a problem if we had the same level of talent we did in 2018.  We don’t, our talent is far superior and the metrics are the same or worse. that is no bueno because the recruits will stop flowing and the metrics will fall off.  

Do I want him fired? No, not at all.  

What I want is these metrics to improve.  But you can’t improve your metrics when every victory is “a validation of the system” and every loss is an excuse.  Mr.Cristobal system cost the conference 6 million and our players the chance to showcase their talent at the playoffs 

I agree with your stats but Im not sure we have better ability on the field then we did then.

Ive never put a lot of faith in the star rankings, its just like putting faith in the pre season team rankings. 

Its all about the playing field.

My fav Oregon team {2009} wasnt perfect by any means and I doubt if there were even 2 3* recruits.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr.Cristobal system cost the conference 6 million and our players the chance to showcase their talent at the playoffs 

Or to put it another way, “Mr. Cristobal’s system came far closer to gaining the conference 6 million and getting his team into the playoffs than did any other coach in the conference.”

• Thumbs Up 6

OK folks, for arguments sake let’s say Mario has to go — I completely disagree, by the way, but what the heck…

Let’s check the market and look at some of the head coaches who are suddenly available right now, and their 2021 records:

Dan Mullen — someone mentioned him earlier: 5-6 at time of firing. Awesome. Especially that come-from-behind shootout against Samford.

Ed Orgeron — hey, he was on TV with The Rock so that counts for something — 5-6 after winning a championship two years ago.  Guess he needs to recruit better.

Gary Patterson — remember him from the Helfrich Alamo Bowl Collapse? 5-6 this year.  I’m a fan of the Horny Frogs, but the 2011 Rose Bowl was as good as it got for them.

I hear Jimmy Lake and Rolo are looking for work, too.  Both had problems with shots, though — Rolo would take shots downfield, but not in his arm; Lake wouldn’t take shots at opposing defenses, but did take them at his own players. 

Chris Patterson is available — he’s not coaching — but he really left Washington in great shape, didn’t he? And he lost to Mario twice.

Lane Kiffin is technically still employed by Mississippi — but seriously, who would want to hire him?  Anybody from Tennessee in the room?  And boy, what a job he did with USC, hey? Good enough to get kicked off the team plane on the way home.  He was left standing on the tarmac like the end of Casablanca.

Someone mentioned Mike Leach — also not available.  The Pirate captained WSU to mediocrity over 8 seasons — punctuated by a loss in the Cheez-It bowl on his way out the door.  Then he went to Mississippi State, and so far he has his Bulldogs on an 11-11 rampage.  Shiver me timbers.

So, who are you going to call first, once you’ve fired your 9-2 coach?

Your 9-2 coach, who has lifted the program from the stagnation of the Helfrich era, extinguished the Taggart dumpster-fire, and has made solid assistant coach hires.  Anyone care to recall how many assistants Taggart lost before his 7-5 season even began? And how about that strength coach he took with him to Florida?

And because the ghost of Chip hangs over this board, let’s go there and talk about Chip.  Let’s talk about 17-25 over 4 years at UCLA.  Then let’s talk about Mario and 34-12 over those same four years — and that’s counting the Las Vegas Bowl loss, which should really count against Taggart.  Really, people?

Be careful what you ask for folks — you just might get it!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mario IS NOT GOING AWAY. 

I believe it will take a few more years to build his power football team. 

The real question is will Duck fans like it?

On 11/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, jrw said:

Just honestly curious as to what you would like Mario to say after a loss. Every coach is fluent in coach-speak, and that's what we get from them all, except for maybe Mike Leach who I think is a psycho.

Yes it’s the coach speak but I don’t see any realization from mr Cristobal that we need to change in order to achieve his goals.

On 11/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Mario IS NOT GOING AWAY. 

I believe it will take a few more years to build his power football team. 

The real question is will Duck fans like it?

Answer — no they will not like it!  Mario could win the Natty and someone will be whining about the “good old days with Chip”.

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, Duck in HuskyLand said:

Answer — no they will not like it!  Mario could win the Natty and someone will be whining about the “good old days with Chip”.

Yep, they complained about Chip constantly. He's not nice, he won't talk to the media, he won't talk to the fans. Rich Brooks, blah blah blah

Guy will win more championships than anyone, and they'll still want him gone 

All of us love our Ducks.  All of us get frustrated at times when we watch a game and mistakes, bad decisions, and goofs happen.

I know I have posted several criticisms of the coaches and game action.  I even wrote an article calling on our team to play "smarter" AND "physical". 

I remember my worst losses and the mistakes I made during my career.  But I also know that I improved as a coach after time.  I think I'm smarter and would be a better coach now.  But, alas, I'm too old!

I have to remind myself that I am no longer an active coach.  I'm just a "couch" coach!  I tell myself that I am not in the locker room anymore.  I'm not on the field during practices or in the weight room lifting beside the players.  I really don't know what's going on out of the public view.

So, I love to share my opinions, but after self reflection (and the help of my wife), I get ready for the next game and move on.  

I have been pleasantly surprised by the growth and improvement during the season!  Too many good things to share in this post.  Another article maybe.

Never say Dye!  The best is yet to come!

I have faith we have the best head coach possible now and in the years to come. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, Duck in HuskyLand said:

Well true but I was thinking is smashmouth football popular with the average Oregon football fan? Like scores of 12 to 6 or 7 to 3 etc etc. Will that be entertaining enough to keep people in the stands?

I personally dont think so, but I have been wrong before. Even Nick Saban has moved from that. This is not meant to be a put down it just is his brand of good football. Mario has even stated that this team is not where he wants it to be and I dont think he was talking about 48 to 42 scores.--

On 11/22/2021 at 5:08 PM, 30Duck said:

I just don't know of a coach that Oregon would get if Mario wasn't here anymore, that fans would think, "Yeah, this is the Guy who will get us to the Playoffs every year". How many of them are there now, not named Nick Saban?

How many times have we been in the playoffs under Cristobal? Am I missing something here?

[Post deleted ‘cuz I was wrong!]

Edited by Duck in HuskyLand
I was wrong!

I like MC and hope he sticks around long enough to build the type of team he says he wants. (Run first)

I'm less sure about JoMo. He seems to pass on first down a lot. Travis Dye had 29 yds. on 6 carries against Utah.

Travis Dye gets only 6 carries???!!!

I think that works out to nearly 5 yds. per carry, right? What happened to using the running game to open up the passing game?

Why is the QB one of the top running backs?

I saw a quick clip on Tom Brady saying the difference between winning and losing was between his thumb and index finger, and they were close. Often times we aren't in the weight room, locker room or huddle and don't know what little change is needed. The truth is few do, but from my experience it comes from compounded knowledge and effort.

The problem with trying to gain compound knowledge and effort is change disrupts that process. The difference between winning and losing is something gained over time. It is a process where the ability is built, not just ordained.

There are certainly leaders who can make a team better. LSU had that with their qb, and the team got behind him. Many teams have that when magic happens, a qb who everyone believes in, but we don't have that, it almost seemed like it could happen, but no. 

The other winning difference is the Saban difference, but that takes lots of money and luck. The Oregon way is to build that compound knowledge with coaches and then support like no other. Part of that, in my opinion, is the fanbase.

A fanbase which helps is a critical fanbase. We have to ponder what could, would and should be better. Compound knowledge doesn't develop in a vacuum. Knowledge and effort do happen in a supportive environment. I hope Autzen, is again, the most supportive environment west of the Mississippi, because we need to beat the beavs.

Just some thoughts about why Oregon is a special place to coach, and play, and maybe how to keep it that way.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:42 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

How many times have we been in the playoffs under Cristobal? Am I missing something here?

0 times, just like more than 90% of the teams, and Saban might not get there this season, it's incredibly hard to do.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:27 AM, 30Duck said:

0 times, just like more than 90% of the teams, and Saban might not get there this season, it's incredibly hard to do.

you dont think that I know that? I thought I might have missed something.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:46 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

you dont think that I know that?

I don't know what you know. But it appears we're good here. 

• Thumbs Up 1