FishDuck Article

10 Takes on “The Assault in Salt Lake”

Like most Duck fans, my mind was incoherently zooming around after watching the Ducks get utterly outclassed by the Utah Utes on Saturday evening, not quite sure what we had just witnessed. No doubt, it was a butt-kicking, but how did it get to this? We try to make sense of it all, but it eludes us. I’ve had a ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article, but I don't even remember what happened last week!

5v8kid.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Some great Takes, Darren, I too am happy to be free to root against Ohio State, amidst the world coming down around me after the Utah game, the weight of "wanting" the Buckeyes to win was lifted. Now I am free to root, as usual, for Michigan. As for Cincy, just go away Bearcats! What is a Bearcat anyway?

Yes, the absurdity of the variant properties of the OSU's and the reverberations of Oregon's action/reaction from contact will set the trajectory of the team.

I think what has been set up from this season's strange circumstances is an unforeseen serendipitous COACHING TEST for MC: is he a REAL coach or not? We will find out a lot more NOW when the Ducks play the Beavers, this time after a crushing disaster.

• Thumbs Up 2

"It would be nice to enter next year with the same two coordinators, as this has yet to happen during Cristobal’s tenure."

It would be nice!

On 11/23/2021 at 6:57 AM, Haywarduck said:

Great article, but I don't even remember what happened last week!

5v8kid.jpg

That's a good strategy. 

On 11/23/2021 at 7:47 AM, 30Duck said:

. As for Cincy, just go away Bearcats! What is a Bearcat anyway?

And what the heck is a Buckeye?

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, toketeeman said:

I think what has been set up from this season's strange circumstances is an unforeseen serendipitous COACHING TEST for MC: is he a REAL coach or not? We will find out a lot more NOW when the Ducks play the Beavers, this time after a crushing disaster.

Have to beat the Beavers, 110%. 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:08 AM, Annie said:

"It would be nice to enter next year with the same two coordinators, as this has yet to happen during Cristobal’s tenure."

It would be nice!

We don't need Thompson needing to learn a new system, enough of that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a Bear-Cat:

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, toketeeman said:

MC: is he a REAL coach or not? 

He's a real coach. Expectations are extremely high, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Darren your #10 10) Speaking of rematches, perhaps I should root for Ohio State to win out and make the CFP instead of risking Oregon having to play them again in the Rose Bowl and possibly getting soundly beaten. That would have the feeling of erasing away the best win of the 2021 college football season. 

I for one want tOSU to win it all and finish 14 -1 , their only blemish a beatdown by the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, Steven A said:

I for one want tOSU to win it all and finish 14 -1 , their only blemish a beatdown by the Ducks.

Right, and it would be great see tOSU's O shred UGA's D.

That was a 'perfect storm' in SLC. Reminded me of when the Ducks played WAZZU the Saturday Gameday finally visited flag waving Pullman.

I want a re-match in Las Vegas. Utah is clearly not 31 points better than the Ducks. 

Your comment about Thompson is a good one. Both Bryce Young at Bama and CJ Stroud at Ohio State sat on the bench last season. In fairness, they did sit behind 2 guys now starting in the NFL.

If Moorhead stays it will be interesting to see if McSorley made Moorhead or vice versa?

• Thumbs Up 2

Great post Darren. As for Thompson (or Butterfield et al), I continue to think it has been a mistake not to have given him more meaningful snaps. Beyond the Utah game, Brown has had several off games. I don't blame Brown for our loss, but in baseball when the ace doesn't have his good stuff, the reliever comes in. Why not in football? Are their egos that fragile?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Darren for the interesting post. This is the first post I have read since the Utah game. I avoided reading anything as I was not in the mood to be negative. My buddy (also Oregon) and I floated the Rogue River around Shady Cove for two days fly fishing for the wily steelhead and had two great days. No time to review the downer game. Now on to the Beavers which will definitely not be an easy game but a chance for our DUCKS to redeem themselves a bit. GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2

Darren your #10 10) Speaking of rematches, perhaps I should root for Ohio State to win out and make the CFP instead of risking Oregon having to play them again in the Rose Bowl and possibly getting soundly beaten. That would have the feeling of erasing away the best win of the 2021 college football season. 

That does make sense. 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:22 AM, Jon Joseph said:

That was a 'perfect storm' in SLC. Reminded me of when the Ducks played WAZZU the Saturday Gameday finally visited flag waving Pullman.

I want a re-match in Las Vegas. Utah is clearly not 31 points better than the Ducks. 

Your comment about Thompson is a good one. Both Bryce Young at Bama and CJ Stroud at Ohio State sat on the bench last season. In fairness, they did sit behind 2 guys now starting in the NFL.

If Moorhead stays it will be interesting to see if McSorley made Moorhead or vice versa?

Yeah, I don't see us gettig swamped 38-7 again, it was just one of those nights, but if the Ducks can pull it off it would be a nail-biter.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, Duck 68 said:

Great post Darren. As for Thompson (or Butterfield et al), I continue to think it has been a mistake not to have given him more meaningful snaps. Beyond the Utah game, Brown has had several off games. I don't blame Brown for our loss, but in baseball when the ace doesn't have his good stuff, the reliever comes in. Why not in football? Are their egos that fragile?

I would refer to Charles' article yesterday about how the Ohio State game set the tone for the season for Brown. The Ducks did beat possibly the best team in the country in their place, so you know what the top-end for the Ducks is, and it would be understandable that MC wants to continue to try to capture that magic. 

On 11/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Yeah, I don't see us gettig swamped 38-7 again, it was just one of those nights, but if the Ducks can pull it off it would be a nail-biter.

CHEER ON OHIO STATE. If Ohio State wins out, the Ducks defeat OR ST and lose a close game to Utah in Las Vegas, the ONLY shot a 10-3 Oregon would have to go to the Fiesta Bowl is if Ohio State finishes 12-1 and wins the B1G championship.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, Duck 68 said:

.... in baseball when the ace doesn't have his good stuff, the reliever comes in. Why not in football? Are their egos that fragile?

On the one hand, I get what you're saying. On the other hand, there are a lot more baseball games in a season, so maybe more room for experimentation and "error?"

My impression from what MC has been saying is that he thinks AB gives the Ducks the best chance of winning. As per another discussion, maybe if the Ducks had lost to Ohio State and not immediately (if perhaps prematurely) been thrown into the playoffs discussions, MC would have been more willing to slip the other QBs into a game once in a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

And the fact that the Ducks beat them will be spouted endlessly.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:57 AM, Haywarduck said:

5v8kid.jpg

Yes It Is GIF

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I remain skeptical of Mario Cristobal's coaching.  Without a doubt he is a great recruiter.  BUT why weren't the Ducks ready to play the Utes?  That's the coaches' job.  Why aren't all these highly regarded recruits playing up to their potential?  Again, that's coaching.  Are we becoming the Texas of the Northwest?  Great talent, but not the corresponding performances?

Without spending hours doing research cause thats not in my wheelhouse I wonder how teams stack up against each other when you have

injuries' and multiple players starting at one position and rotating in and out of other positions as far as player rankings goes. (4*-5*) Lots of poster are ranting about all this elite

talent on the team and can't figure out why a FR can't just enter the game and be great since they were either 4* or 5*. Let say that that 4-5*

FR has only played on the scout team up until the UT game. Now they're put in the game expecting to replace a 9 game starter or even

backup the backup because the starter went out 2 games prior. Now we have a 3rd string 4-5* FR trying to make plays when he previously

was watching the scout team or getting a few reps with the scout team. 

Take all the inexperienced 4-5* players that have had to fill in, sometimes in different positions and ask them to play against a 2-3 year 3-4*

player. My guess is that the 3-4* player will be better against the 4-5+ player at their position simply because they've had several years

playing that position. Point I'm getting at is players aren't elite until they become elite. Last I saw the Ducks were 9-2 and could be 12-2 after

a bowl game. If that's not coaching up a team I'm not sure what is.

My takeaway from the mistake by the great salt lake was it was more shooting ourselves in the foot than it was Utah being such a better team.

How many drives did we kill because of dumb false start penalties, or the QB rolling and tripping over his own feet. How many points, and more important how much momentum, did we squander with all these errors. Dropped passes, bad throws, penalties, pocket collapsing sacks....the list could go on.

Then you add in the poor coaching decisions with managing the clock.

I think we have the team to beat them in a rematch, but I just don't see us improving on the fundamentals of the game. We have continually made these bonehead mistakes all season long. I hope that is just a sign of a young team.

Edited by C J

On 11/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, C J said:

My takeaway from the mistake by the great salt lake was it was more shooting ourselves in the foot than it was Utah being such a better team.

How many drives did we kill because of dumb false start penalties, or the QB rolling and tripping over his own feet. How many points, and more important how much momentum, did we squander with all these errors. Dropped passes, bad throws, penalties, pocket collapsing sacks....the list could go on.

Then you add in the poor coaching decisions with managing the clock.

I think we have the team to beat them in a rematch, but I just don't see us improving on the fundamentals of the game. We have continually made these bonehead mistakes all season long. I hope that is just a sign of a young team.

Thats a sign of poor discipline AND the lack of reps, one might even say the lack of mental AND physical training. In the Utah game I think we looked worn out.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Thats a sign of poor discipline AND the lack of reps, one might even say the lack of mental AND physical training. In the Utah game I think we looked worn out.

Check, check, check and check. I agree with all those statements. 

The worn out look led many to wonder about elevation. Elevation changes as drastic as those between Eugene and Salt Lake City are an issue, but it was more than just that.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:29 PM, C J said:

Check, check, check and check. I agree with all those statements. 

The worn out look led many to wonder about elevation. Elevation changes as drastic as those between Eugene and Salt Lake City are an issue, but it was more than just that.

That def could have been a big part. Bellotti would go to those places 1 to 2 days early to acclimate. Im thinking at this time of the season too hard at practices too???

The injuries worrisome too.

Edited by 1Ducker1