Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomer

Future of Program?

I'd like to hear what Peoples thoughts are about the future of the Oregon Football Program ?

I Might have a clearer picture Saturday after say 3:30 PM.

While everybody has their opinions on MC -good and bad, my concern is more about the players. 

I personally thought they looked defeated after the first Utah TD.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:35 AM, Boomer said:

I'd like to hear what Peoples thoughts are about the future of the Oregon Football Program ?

I think there are two paths. One we go the route of looking for our Messiah, and fire Cristobal. This will lead to continual turnover, preseason hope, and then the calls for another coaches head.

The other we continue to support Cristobal through his learning curve, and all its pitfalls, along with the high points. This is what we have done in the past, but it may not happen. I believe this is the path to a potential title, not the other, some may differ. But remember....

5v8opz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:52 AM, Haywarduck said:

One we go the route of looking for our Messiah, and fire Cristobal.

Firing Cristobal doesn't seem possible to me, it would set a terrible precedent for any coach considering the job.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, 30Duck said:

Firing Cristobal doesn't seem possible to me, it would set a terrible precedent for any coach considering the job.

Agree there are plenty of programs which are the picture of this. Much like many systems (not going to bring politics into this) out there which are always looking for the quick answer, and there isn't one. Sometimes there is the lucky answer, like winning the lottery, but that is fools gold.

Look into those who win the lottery, it isn't pretty. The winner is the one who works hard, and keeps their goal in front of themselves. They persevere through failure and criticism. This is what I feel we have now, and what I know works. This weekend will be just one data point.

That is what I feel, believe works, but others can have feeling and beliefs which they consider. There is no one answer, just feelings, and actions based on those feelings. I will stop there, but I respect all opinions.

• Like 1

It's tough for me to want to guess too far ahead.

I think seeing how fast something like Covid could rock the world so quickly causes me to live in the moment more.

Win The Day is one of the best life mottos I've heard. In football, it should be Win The Play.

Today, I'm very pleased to be looking at a possible North Division title with a chance at redemption against the Utes and a guaranteed bowl game.

The Ducks are David and winning out is Goliath.  I'm okay with that.

I'm not happy at all with the play last Saturday.  But I'm thrilled the Ducks are 9-2 knowing the adversity they have faced all year.  

Here's a list off the top of my head of formerly dominate or elite programs that I consider are dumpster fires now or have been for some time.

I'm extremely grateful Oregon is not having the issues these teams are having or had. 

USC

UCLA

WASHINGTON

TEXAS

FLORIDA

FLORIDA STATE

NEBRASKA

LSU

College football will produce different mixes of top teams due to the nature of the player pool constantly changing. I like that aspect, although I'm not a fan of players bailing on their team.

Expecting any school to win the Natty every year is far from realistic.  Clemson took a dive. Alabama is not perfect. All it takes is one chink in the armor to be knocked out of contention.

The Ducks have experienced unprecedented "damage" and yet they have won 9 games.

I haven't noticed ONE comment about Verdell being knocked out. Losing him is like losing a major aircraft carrier. Yet, the Ducks showed guts and grit and kept looking forward.

There is a lot of work to do. Win every play and you will win the day.

Today, I am thankful for having 9 wins this season.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

In order to see where we should go, we need to be conscious of where we have been.  Len Casanova brought Oregon a pass-oriented offense that was fun to watch, but never had the players in the trenches for championship caliber play.

Some may remember Bob Berry, the QB with amazing passing touch and ability to run.  Berry was really the first of many versatile QB’s to follow.  He brought excitement and got butts in the seats at Hayward Field.  From Wikipedia:

"Born and raised in San Jose, California, Berry played football at Willow Glen High School, where his father was a longtime head coach.[1][2] He graduated in 1960 and played college football at Oregon,[3] where he was a three-year letter winner under head coach Len Casanova. At Oregon, Berry teamed with future Pro Football Hall of Famers Mel Renfro and Dave Wilcox and led the Ducks to three consecutive winning seasons. In his junior year in 1963, Oregon's last as an independent, the Ducks beat SMU 21–14 in the Sun Bowl on New Year's Eve.[4] (The Pacific-8 conference did not allow a second bowl team until 1975)."

That success contributed to aspirations of greatness that are rooted in AD Leo Harris’ decision to abandon a campus located football field and raise the money to build Autzen Stadium.  

Mostly, Oregon’s football fortunes have followed the play of their quarterbacks.  There was a bubble of excitement in the Dan Fouts years of the early 70’s, and again at the turn of that decade with Reggie Ogburn.  Chris Miller and Bill Musgrave had substantial success in the 1980’s, but the Ducks always lacked the big guys in the trenches to make it to the top.

Joey Harrington had some great years.  As I fan, I will always relish the years of Marcus Mariota and Justin Herbert.  Who wouldn’t?  They had the linemen to allow full display of their talents.  

Now the Ducks have the crucial element of great play and depth in the lines on both sides of the ball.  I believe that a former O-lineman for a coach like Mario Cristobal can continue to recruit guys like him.  Without those fast-thinking, quick-footed big guys we’re nowhere.

For the future we also have to have the great QB.  As fans, going clear back to Casanova, we are attuned to the exciting play that only a strong passing attack provides.  

Here’s the roster for next year:

Robby Ashford

QB

Fr.

6-4

Hoover, Ala. / Hoover HS

Jay Butterfield

QB

Fr.

6-6

Brentwood, Calif. / Liberty HS

A.J. Abbott

QB

Fr.

6-2

Houston, Texas / Stratford HS

Bradley Yaffe

QB

So.

6-3

Atherton, Calif. / Sacred Heart Prep

Ty Thompson

QB

Fr.

6-4

Gilbert, Ariz. / Mesquite HS

• Thumbs Up 4

The future?

The Future Is Now! Defeat a good Oregon State team. Win the re-match vs Utah. Defeat Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Finish 12-2 and ranked in the final AP top 5 to 7. Cement the 2022 recruiting class and set things up for a big haul in 2023.

And get some HELP from the conference. Stop playing 4 cross over in-conference games. There was no reason for Oregon to play at Utah on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 11/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

There was no reason for Oregon to play at Utah on Saturday.

The Utah game should be the impetus of getting rid of divisions and playing an 8 game schedule. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The future?

The Future Is Now! Defeat a good Oregon State team. Win the re-match vs Utah. Defeat Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Finish 12-2 and ranked in the final AP top 5 to 7. Cement the 2022 recruiting class and set things up for a big haul in 2023.

And get some HELP from the conference. Stop playing 4 cross over in-conference games. There was no reason for Oregon to play at Utah on Saturday.

Bring on New Mexico State!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:21 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

Mostly, Oregon’s football fortunes have followed the play of their quarterbacks.  

Grandpa Duck....you are a most welcome new addition to this community.  You provide really superb posts for us to learn from and ponder.  My thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, Haywarduck said:

Agree there are plenty of programs which are the picture of this. Much like many systems (not going to bring politics into this) out there which are always looking for the quick answer, and there isn't one. Sometimes there is the lucky answer, like winning the lottery, but that is fools gold.

The panicky impatiences that gets created by moments like we’re experiencing makes me return to the Rich Brooks experiment. No one is going to give it to you. You earn what you get. 

Which out come do you prefer? A Mike Bellotti or a Willie Taggart?

Edited by Washington Waddler
Run together

I think it comes down to recognition. AB had a couple of good games throwing, but 7 really bad ones. Out of those they lost twice. In my opinion, starting a new QB in the system and have them go through growing pains would have helped. I also think Oregon scheduling really tough opponents like Ohio State and Georgia next year, the first one or two games is not helping them at all.

I also think they need to really figure out a way to keep coordinators in place. There has not been a cohesive team of coaches at Oregon in 4 years. That needs to change. This should help with player development. New Coordinators every year with new systems. I think Oregon has done a good job overall just need better QB play and consistency on the coordinators. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the futures bright. Stuff happens every year that you can't foresee. There was a thread on here a while back about what you think the

final record for Oregon would be. I said 9-4. So for me they've exceeded my expectations. Plenty of talent on the team, just need to keep

injuries down to a minimum and the sky's the limit. I'm willing to sit back and see where the team's at in 3-4 years before throwing in the

towel. 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:35 AM, Boomer said:

2022 - OOC is a witch - 'at' Georgia, E Washington and vs BYU. That's some heavy lifting.

AWAY: AZ, CAL, CU, WA ST and at the Beavs. In the 5 game on-the-road rota, this is not a bad line up.

But for goodness sakes drop the 9th regularly scheduled conference game and while your at it, get rid of divisions and get rid of the CA scheduling agreement.

No team that played 9 regularly scheduled conference games has won the playoff. The 9th game should be Championship Week: 1 vs 2, then 12 at 3. 11 at 4, etc.

The game Saturday could and should have been against Cup Cake State in Autzen. Maybe the Ducks would have dropped from 3 to 4 but would still be ranked in the top 4.

Compare 2022 OOC to 2023: Portland State, at Texas Tech, Hawaii. 4 instead of 5 conference road games. THIS is a PO friendly schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/23/2021 at 1:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Compare 2022 OOC to 2023: Portland State, at Texas Tech, Hawaii. 4 instead of 5 conference road games. THIS is a PO friendly schedule.

This goes back to expanding to 12, how has adding Colorado & Utah helped? 

It created the Divisions and the California rule. 

Oregon and USC should hook up with the Big 12 or, go back to the original Pac-8.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, 30Duck said:

This goes back to expanding to 12, how has adding Colorado & Utah helped? 

It created the Divisions and the California rule. 

Oregon and USC should hook up with the Big 12 or, go back to the original Pac-8.

It was a face saving move by Larry Scott after TX prevented the raid of the B12 big boys. 

What have CU and Utah added to the bottom line? Not much.

I firmly believe the best for Oregon football is yet to come!  Next year, the Ducks will have 4 straight years of the top ranked recruiting class in the PAC 12, and nationally, the 10th (so far), 6th, 11th, and 7th rated classes.

The talent is there.  MC is learning and getting better each year when you look at the body of work.  I know it is not fast enough for some, but he is getting better.  I like his attitude if toughness, his one game at a time philosophy, and his recruiting prowess.

The offense is getting more dynamic and when the young guns come of age, I think they will light it up.  The defense is also improving overall (the Utah game was an outlier). Every team has a game where nothing goes right, and every team has a game where the opponent plays above their norms, we just hit both in the same game.

I think we Duck fans are in for an unprecedented run of success, and I believe we will make the playoffs routinely going forward.

• Thumbs Up 2

Grandpa, I agree with your long post above—except all those QBs will not likely be on the roster next year.  Who will leave? Haven’t a clue.  But whoever stays need poise, the mental and physical ability to run the offense.  For me the key is to be accurate passer and a good enough runner to extend plays and keep the defense honest. 

On 11/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, PittDuck said:

I firmly believe the best for Oregon football is yet to come!  Next year, the Ducks will have 4 straight years of the top ranked recruiting class in the PAC 12, and nationally, the 10th (so far), 6th, 11th, and 7th rated classes.

The talent is there.  MC is learning and getting better each year when you look at the body of work.  I know it is not fast enough for some, but he is getting better.  I like his attitude if toughness, his one game at a time philosophy, and his recruiting prowess.

The offense is getting more dynamic and when the young guns come of age, I think they will light it up.  The defense is also improving overall (the Utah game was an outlier). Every team has a game where nothing goes right, and every team has a game where the opponent plays above their norms, we just hit both in the same game.

I think we Duck fans are in for an unprecedented run of success, and I believe we will make the playoffs routinely going forward.

One thing a lot of fans are failing to remember is how much all of the injuries have hurt this year, especially to JFlowe, who I think, if he can stay healthy, will become one of the greatest linebackers we have ever had!

• Thumbs Up 2