81DuckAlum

Perfect Take on "Spoiled Fans"

On 11/23/2021 at 3:24 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

These guys express my feelings better than I could.  I'm really tired of the "Mario Cristobal can't coach".  

Thanks for the share...

...my thoughts exactly!

Now, just beat those Beavs!!!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 6:32 PM, DanLduck said:

Now, just beat those Beavs!!!

fail angry beavers GIFangry beavers nicksplat GIF

I did not have time to listen to the Podcast, but regardless of your views--we do not "Throw Group-Shade" upon those who disagree with us.  This is pretty mild, but it inhibits people from posting nonetheless.

See No. 2a and No. 2b of our rules.

The objective of this forum is to see all the opinions of the very savvy group assembled here.  That can only happen if everyone feels safe to post, and thus behaviors that discourage or inhibit posting of a viewpoint different from yours are prohibited.  State your opinion, they state theirs and we all view them and decide for ourselves.  We do not cast aspersions upon those who disagree with us, and "Throwing Group-Shade" is one of the more subtle methods of making people reluctant to post.

If the other sites allow it?  That is your first clue that we don't here.

This really is not directed so much at the good people in this thread that made a mistake, but to use it as a way of educating people on what our objectives here are and how we achieve them.

Email me for more information and do read what I referred to above.  charles@fishduck.com  Some would say this is over-the-top, but that is what it takes to create and retain an extraordinary place to gather and safely discuss Our Beloved Ducks.

Fans Say FP2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

If this team is truly as bad as Fentress described then my hats off to Cristobal. 

• Haha 1

Here's another interesting take on Mario's tenure, for those Oregon fans who are critical of his coaching.

Your record is what you are as coach.

Mario's record at Oregon has been fine. Not great, fine. His recruiting has been excellent. Not very good, excellent.

Scheduling matters. An 8 game conference schedule and the Ducks play Utah in Las Vegas and not SLC.

And in 2022, Mullens has given Mario an opening game 'at' Georgia and a home game vs BYU, plus 9 conference games. This is silly PO scheduling.

It's not like UGA and Bama continually battle and roll over top 25 teams. Check the latest rankings to see how many top 25 teams these 2 have defeated. UGA gets a bump because Clemson is is in the top 25. Any number of teams with Clemson's record could be in the top 25, including Fresno State.

Dabo is in happier recruiting hunting grounds than is Mario. Dabo plays 8 conference games and not 9. Top to bottom the Pac-12 is as good as the ACC.

As long as Uncle Phil supports him, I love my Mario.

• Like 1

Let’s just respond from our loss to Utah how tOSU did from their loss to us and beat the Beavers!

• Thumbs Up 3

Coaching college football is not easy. Although college coaches are well compensated for the work they do; for most, it's 70+ hours a week for 9 months out the year where you neglect your family and everything else. Chip Kelly literally lived at the U of O football complex during football season and never went home.

The job is done in a fishbowl where everyone and their mother watches what you do and expresses an opinion about the quality of your work on any number of public platforms available to the public these days; and you are only as good as your last win, and even that might not have been good enough.

I agree with Fentress' views in the podcast. This isn't even close to the best team we've seen at Oregon in the 21st century. This year's Ducks are loaded with talent, but they are riddled with key injuries and they are one of the youngest teams in Power 5 football. What they have managed to accomplish this year has been pretty amazing when you consider what they have had to overcome.

I don't always agree with the decisions made by Cristobal and his coaching staff, but my hat is off to them. Getting this team to 9 wins, and beating Ohio State is a spectacular accomplishment. Anyone who calls Oregon's win over tOSU a fluke needs to find the game on Youtube and rewatch it. It was, in every sense, a thing of pure beauty.

IMHO, talk of firing Mario is pure insanity. Mario is a very good coach. If he can find a way to inspire and fire up his team to play at the top of their ability against a motivated Beaver team after that devastating loss to Utah, I will say that he is a great coach. However, I know that if he doesn't, it won't be from lack of effort on his part.

Blowing their chance at the CFP was big, but, as Harrington passionately pointed out, there are still HUGE things on the table for any Duck with green and yellow coursing through our veins. A chance to beat the Beavers after last year's humiliating loss to them should be incentive enough. If WSU beats Washington on Friday evening, what is already The War will be for the Northern Division Pac 12 Crown. Come on Mario and our Ducks; let's get 'er done!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 11/24/2021 at 10:49 AM, latracey said:

I agree with Fentress' views in the podcast. This isn't even close to the best team we've seen at Oregon in the 21st century. This year's Ducks are loaded with talent, but they are riddled with key injuries and they are one of the youngest teams in Power 5 football. What they have managed to accomplish this year has been pretty amazing when you consider what they have had to overcome.

Fentress is right that many former Oregon teams would boat-race this one.  And I've enjoyed many of his takes in the past, but when he tells me as a Duck fan to "Chill-out," and calls me "Spoiled?"  That comes off as a condescending jerk.

(And yes...the rule No. 26 refers to Oregon players and coaches.  Say what you want about other teams, their fans, their coaches and members of the media.)

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Fentress has really never been a Duck fan, I pointed that out to him on the Oregonian message board several years ago and he had me banned LOL

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

come to think of it I might have used some questionable words too--and IM still BANNED.

• Haha 1

No one could disagree that MC is a quality individual and an excellent representative of the U of O.

Its just a game, albeit with lots of $$$ floating around, but what better example of how to conduct yourself as a human than MC.

For me that's almost as valuable as the win/loss record. I know you've gotta win, but come on, he's light years better than the guy he replaced,

and even Chip left here under a little cloud of allegations if I recall correctly.

The Chip Kelly era was so much fun, but I think he benefitted from being in the right place at the right time at a certain level.

MC seems intent on building something more lasting here, and if we have to live with 10-2 or even 9-3 sometimes (the horror!) we should probably feel blessed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Fentress has really never been a Duck fan, I pointed that out to him on the Oregonian message board several years ago and he had me banned LOL

Sportswriters, at least reputable ones, are not supposed to be fans.

I think some of the younger fans may have a different view of the Ducks football “prominence “. They weren’t born when the Ducks football team struggled in the early years of the Rich Brooks era. Those years made me appreciate where we are today.

I understand that 2 losses are a tragedy when you have your sights set on a National Championship. Try 2 wins for an entire season a few times….ughhh

However, most fans know that we have been very close to winning a championship, and being grumpy about a loss that knocks you out of championship contention is part of being a football fan. I am far from being a spoiled fan 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:34 AM, DUCKED said:

Sportswriters, at least reputable ones, are not supposed to be fans.

True but he was very very down on the Ducks and coaches during some of their best years--

Now all of a sudden hes down on disappointed fans--- I dont get it.

• Like 1

I understand that we all take fandom differently, But to me a fan is whatever that fan makes of it.

At least we are not Stanford. Take a look at their stadium during their home games--sad.

I'm not even really a Saban fan but i liked this

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, deschutesduck said:

I'm not even really a Saban fan but i liked this

Excellent share DD! This video could be just as easily applied to the Mario and Reality!  thread as well...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/24/2021 at 8:29 PM, duckonline said:

Excellent share DD! This video could be just as easily applied to the Mario and Reality!  thread as well...

ahh good point, that one might have been more appropriate

I wonder what Saban would think if the Bama fans stopped supporting him? and his $$

Why are we taking out our anger against fans? They buy the tickets and all the apparel.

THE FANS DONT PLAY THE GAME--lol, Its entertainment folks.

Coaches are worse than the prima dona players these days. 

College ball is big $$ these days.

You need tough skin to be in the entertainment business -or get out of it

Yup I used a lot of these days LOL.

I don't worry about Saban. He has Aflac.

• Haha 2

On 11/24/2021 at 11:40 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I wonder what Saban would think if the Bama fans stopped supporting him? and his $$

He will never know because the way he recruits and then coaches guys up the fans have no reason to turn on Saban. Alabama's enrollment has increased 50% since Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa. Most of the increase is made up of out-of-ste students who pay full tuition. 

Nick Saban at $9M is a bargain for Bama. Especially when considering that Mel Tucker and James Franklin will now be making close to what Saban makes.

On 11/23/2021 at 6:24 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

These guys express my feelings better than I could.  I'm really tired of the "Mario Cristobal can't coach".  

Spoiled? Why shouldn't fans of a team that played for a BCS and a Playoff championship not be spoiled? Why shouldn't the fans based on the recruiting rankings be disappointed when the team struggles against inferior competition and no shows on the road in important games?

Your record is what you are. Mario has a good but not what could have been a great, record. The Ducks should have been in the PO in 2019 and in 2021.

• Thumbs Up 1

The first game I attended at Autzen was the 1983 "Civil War", so for me, 9 or 10 wins  and a bowl game feels pretty friggin' good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, Wood Duck said:

The first game I attended at Autzen was the 1983 "Civil War", so for me, 9 or 10 wins  and a bowl game feels pretty friggin' good.

Good take and of course your expectations are completely valid.. But the Pac-12 to put it bluntly, stinks. BYU is about to go 5-0 vs the Pac-12. BYU has a W vs the S division champ, Utah. As does San Diego State. Yes BYU is ranked 13 in the country but BYU also lost at home vs Boise.

2 big OOC wins by Oregon and UCLA were set off by bad Ls, including UCLA being defeated at home by Fresno. UW was missing in action in Ann Arbor. OR ST lost to Purdue. TCU beat CAL. ND thumped SC and will blow out Stanford on Saturday.

With its roster superiority Oregon should win 9 games in its sleep.

But if you are a happy fan, it's all good. What I think matters not a whit.

On 11/25/2021 at 10:52 AM, Wood Duck said:

First game for me was 1975 and 2 wins was pretty friggin’ good.

I suppose it’s easy to be a “new” fan from the Chipster days and have a higher floor. And while I want the Ducks to win a Natty as much as anyone, I’ll take every win as a blessing and not an entitlement. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Duck fans have been on a wild ride, back in the 70's with Dick Enright and Don Read in charge, and Norv Turner at QB, Autzen was a great place to go if you wanted to get away from people and noise. Then we were thrilled when Musgrave and the Ducks went to the Independence Bowl!

So close to the Championship. Sabrina and the Lady Ducks were robbed of a chance to win the Championship, and I'm as certain about them winning it all as I am that the Football team would have had a Heisman winner to go with the Championship in 2007.

Of course, "Dyer was Down!" and what if Stanford and Nelson hadn't had major drops against OH. ST.?

So many times the ring has just been out of reach.