30Duck

Oregon has a Third Down Problem

If you're an Oregon football fan you know the last words you want to hear are, "Third down and any yards" when the other team has the ball.

Tim DeRuyter Addresses Oregon's Defensive Struggles on Third Down

Ducks Digest  Max Torres

Honestly I think our lines are just plain worn out. Maybe they practice too hard?

Playing behind the sticks is a near impossible task when your QB can’t make accurate throws. 

On 11/24/2021 at 8:44 AM, Just Ducky said:

Playing behind the sticks is a near impossible task when your QB can’t make accurate throws. 

Oregon has a QB problem too.

among other things .

A two deep safety zone scheme has to look tantalizing to an opposing offensive coordinator.  Especially on third down.

I hope we have healthy enough players for a different D scheme against the Beavs.

Oregon has done well and not so well. Oregon has a consistency problem. We led all of college football in turnover margin, and are still looking good in our 3rd down conversion margin (5th nationally, OSU is 4th).

The question on Saturday is which way we push those statistics. We need to do better, and I think a critical moment is going to be the first couple of series.

The problem I see with the Ducks is they aren't dominant. We have come back and beaten a few bad teams. We didn't come back against Utah and wouldn't have against tosu. The good teams, OSU is a good team, you need to make sure, early on, they don't think they can win.

If we don't dominate early then I'm worried. An underdog is dangerous when they believe. We can't let them believe, or let thier belief grow. Wouldn't it be nice if Oregon just came and beat the beavs from the start, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

AB’s completion % goes up the shorter the distance is between him and his target. When we can’t keep him within his comfort zone on 3rd down, the opposing D knows it and loads the box which usually ends with a stuffed run or rushed throw.  

Any chance at consistency against the Beavs may rely upon putting AB consistently in a high % 3rd down situation which means well designed 1st and 2nd down plays loom large.

Whenever I hear "third and long" with the Ducks on defense I think - oh no, they've got us right where they want us!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Our D is good but I never expect them to hold up against an onslaught for three quarters. The Offense needs to do a better job at letting them get some breathing time. If not, the offense needs to score on more possessions.

The best thing about CK's teams were they scored a lot of times on offense which made the other team one dimensional. The D was on the field a lot but there was only one focus--stop the pass.

I still can't figure out the identity of this team.

• Thumbs Up 1