30Duck

If Florida Offers Will Mario Turn Them Down?

Can the Ducks match a $7M to $9M+ per year salary? And there is no state income tax in Florida. COL and housing prices are lower than in Eugene. UF is a top rated university and Gainesville, unlike much of Florida, has good public schools. Close to his Mom and brother, a member of the Miami police force. Florida is a recruiting gold mine. Florida has recently improved its football facilities and renovated The Swamp. Close to 100,000 fans at every game. The chance to 'prove it' in the Big Boy Conference.

And there 8 conference games and a game vs a struggling FSU and 3 OOC games vs cupcakes, if UF wants to schedule OOC in this manner.

Interestingly, UF does have a 2nd P5 OOC game next season. In addition to FSU, the Gators play Utah in the Swamp. The first game of a H+H series.

Mario just signed an extension with Oregon, but it wasn't anywhere close to what Michigan State did to keep Tucker, or what Penn. State did to keep James Franklin. Michigan State's was financed by a pair of donors. Is Oregon's donor going to finance a deal to keep Mario?

On 11/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, 30Duck said:

Mario just signed an extension with Oregon, but it wasn't anywhere close to what Michigan State did to keep Tucker, or what Penn. State did to keep James Franklin. Michigan State's was financed by a pair of donors. Is Oregon's donor going to finance a deal to keep Mario?

Can they? UF's offer is likely to double Mario's existing salary. The $9M buy out is peanuts to Florida. Does it make sense in the Pac-12 to pay any coach $7M+ a year? And think what Mario could do recruiting in Florida. He will not lose many FL kids to Bama or UGA.

If we see them re-do his contract, rest assured someone came calling.

It would be nice to go back to the good ole days of the original contract law where a contract was a contract.

Oh well, I like to say it's been all downhill since Ike (and I don't mean Tina's ex)(hopefully the statute of limitations has run on 1950's political posts).

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best to start coming to terms with it now. There is a very high probability that Mario is gone after this season. 

There is just too much for him TO like about the offer that Florida is going to make. All the things Jon eluded to in his earlier post above. And the fact he was booed in Autzen is a tipping point I am afraid.

I sure hope we can bring in a great offensive mind to replace him. Someone who is willing to take some big risks and sling the ball around the field. Perhaps Joe Moorhead?????????????

Edited by C J
  • Like 1

Unless Oregon refuses to re negotiate and UF is the only 7+/year offer, I cannot see that happening. Expect Miami to make a strong offer that will be difficult to refuse unless UO goes big in my opinion. 

Edited by WCCIDT

On 11/24/2021 at 1:55 PM, C J said:

Best to start coming to terms with it now. There is a very high probability that Mario is gone after this season. 

There is just too much for him TO like about the offer that Florida is going to make. All the things Jon eluded to in his earlier post above. And the fact he was booed in Autzen is a tipping point I am afraid.

I sure hope we can bring in a great offensive mind to replace him. Someone who is willing to take some big risks and sling the ball around the field. Perhaps Joe Moorhead?????????????

I wouldn't be disappointed in that if it happened. I do think that he has done a great job of turning things around and will continue the growth we all have witnessed.  However should he move on then more power to him... the ducks will overcome, adapt and improvise their way to the top.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:01 PM, BigDog said:

I wouldn't be disappointed in that if it happened. I do think that he has done a great job of turning things around and will continue the growth we all have witnessed.  However should he move on then more power to him... the ducks will overcome, adapt and improvise their way to the top.

We as fans have no control over what he choses to do so we have to hope for as good or better. The U of O is no slouch either and it seems committed to being quality football program. However if he goes to Miami or especially FLA they are going to expect results and soon. thats a lot of pressure.

I dont think Fla is going to offer Mario a job. He's not offensively minded enough. Miami maybe.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:04 PM, Graziani93 said:

MC is a great recruiter but a terrible coach.  Go to Florida,  

If Mario is offered the Florida job, he is smart and will take it.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I dont think Fla is going to offer Mario a job. He's not offensively minded enough. Miami maybe.

I don't think there is any maybe about it. There is a ton of support for Mario amongst the donors/some of the BOT members. When an AD is hired (outside firm to conduct this) and if (when) a coaching change occurs, Mario will almost certainly be the first name on the list.

With the financial restructuring anticipated in the Miami athletic department the expectation should be that the offer is going to exceed the current salary  in Eugene comfortably.

Oregon is a great job however, better in all aspects beside local talent, and the draw to home and a big city so it should not be assumed that Mario will leave even if that offer comes. 

On 11/24/2021 at 1:55 PM, C J said:

Joe Moorhead is like Helfrich; great offensive mind, but an introvert.  He would NOT do well recruiting, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

We as fans have no control over what he choses to do so we have to hope for as good or better. The U of O is no slouch either and it seems committed to being quality football program. However if he goes to Miami or especially FLA they are going to expect results and soon. thats a lot of pressure.

Oregon is committed. But the other Pac-12 program" Every administration in the SEC including Vandy, is committed to and spends $ on its football program.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Every administration in the SEC including Vandy, is committed to and spends $ on its football program.

Yep, UCLA is a basketball school, Stanford is as involved with its Water Polo team as it is with the football team, and Cal is Inertia U,

On 11/24/2021 at 3:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Joe Moorhead is like Helfrich; great offensive mind, but an introvert.  He would NOT do well recruiting, IMHO.

Yeah, I suspect the same. 

Well it's all speculation here for a while so I guess we just wait and see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

I noticed 'loyalty' mentioned above and I am a big believer in loyalty.

But Mario's first loyalty has to be to his family.  Florida if it so desires can come with the buyout $ and with an annual salary the Ducks cannot match.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aside from ego how does a couple million more each year impact your lifestyle?  Even if MC has to worst attorney and financial advisor in the world and hasn't structured his contract to help minimize taxes he still nets over $6,000 plus incentives every day of the year, year in and year out.  His weekly deposit is more than the average annual paycheck.  I couldn't spend that much if I tried and a few thousand $ more each day wouldn't make any difference.

On 11/25/2021 at 10:52 AM, McDuck said:

Aside from ego how does a couple million more each year impact your lifestyle?  Even if MC has to worst attorney and financial advisor in the world and hasn't structured his contract to help minimize taxes he still nets over $6,000 plus incentives every day of the year, year in and year out.  His weekly deposit is more than the average annual paycheck.  I couldn't spend that much if I tried and a few thousand $ more each day wouldn't make any difference.

I think it is more of a question regarding your grand kids and great grand kids life styles?

• Thumbs Up 1

LA-LA's Billy Napier appears to be UF's #1 candidate.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I think it is more of a question regarding your grand kids and great grand kids life styles?

I'm certain Charles could accomplish that on MC's current salary.

The big question is why have the last 3 coaches failed so badly? What is going on at Florida that has caused it to become a black hole for football coaches? It could be a bad administration, meddling boosters or both. Maybe they were just all and coaches.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

What if Moorhead surrounds himself with a team of recruiters like the Snake did?

What if Moorhead is a better CEO, especially after his lesson in Mississippi?

It may be better to part ways with MC while we're ahead. If Morehead isn't the answer, perhaps there are others.  

We need a combo of someone like Chip that can take the talent MC has assembled and convert the players into champs, while maintaining the recruiting prowess the Snake started.

In any event, we've seen the best MC can offer at present.  And while MC brought the level of talent to playoff caliber, we still have difficulty snagging the kind of physical defensive talent that can handle MC's demolition of the brand Chip elevated Oregon to.

Trying not to write too much, but Bellotti advanced what  Brooks built.   Oregon's brand went stratosphere when Chip transformed football for good.  The missing piece is bringing a title to track town.  There should be a coach out there with the chops  capable of recognizing where we've been and what we ultimately want.

Believe it or not, I think Chris Petersen is that guy.  It is my belief UW pushed him out because he "peaked" too soon.  He no longer has to follow Chip, and the guy develops tough players.  Mullens seems smart enough to convince Petersen to come out of retirement.

Petersen is a West coast guy that recognizes the vital aspect recruiting is to winning, and the guy could use a Moorhead type OC to restore the Oregon brand to its iconic place in the college football world.  

What do you think?  If MC moves on, would Petersen (or someone like him) be the answer?

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:07 PM, Mike West said:

What if Moorhead surrounds himself with a team of recruiters like the Snake did?

What if Moorhead is a better CEO, especially after his lesson in Mississippi?

It may be better to part ways with MC while we're ahead. If Morehead isn't the answer, perhaps there are others.  

We need a combo of someone like Chip that can take the talent MC has assembled and convert the players into champs, while maintaining the recruiting prowess the Snake started.

In any event, we've seen the best MC can offer at present.  And while MC brought the level of talent to playoff caliber, we still have difficulty snagging the kind of physical defensive talent that can handle MC's demolition of the brand Chip elevated Oregon to.

Trying not to write too much, but Bellotti advanced what  Brooks built.   Oregon's brand went stratosphere when Chip transformed football for good.  The missing piece is bringing a title to track town.  There should be a coach out there with the chops  capable of recognizing where we've been and what we ultimately want.

Believe it or not, I think Chris Peterson is that guy.  It is my belief UW pushed him out because he "peaked" too soon.  He no longer has to follow Chip, and the guy develops tough players.  Mullens seems smart enough to convince Peterson to come out of retirement.

Peterson is a West coast guy that recognizes the vital aspect recruiting is to winning, and the guy could use a Moorhead type OC to restore the Oregon brand to its iconic place in the college football world.  

What do you think?  If MC moves on, would Peterson (or someone like him) be the answer?

Great take Mike + Happy Thanksgiving. I'm not sure that Pete has the recruiting chops? OKGs will only take you so far; you need 4* and 5* recruits.

On 11/25/2021 at 10:07 AM, Mike West said:

Believe it or not, I think Chris Petersen is that guy.

I think it is brilliant, and the best candidate out there.  He has a history with Oregon!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Chris Petersen is 0 for 2 against Mario. I know who I prefer.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2021 at 5:59 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Chris Petersen is 0 for 2 against Mario. I know who I prefer.

I don't think this was a question of choosing between the two, but among all the other candidates out there...who would you want if Cristobal left to go back to Florida?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think, if offered, he will take.  Nothing like going home and Eugene and Florida are direct opposites, I think he goes.  We had another coach that left for the Florida sunshine, how soon we forget.   Move Morehead into HC to keep him from going to Udub.   If Beavs beat Ducks,  Smith will probably go to Udub.  Chris Petersen is still at Udub in the administrative office, that same guy we could have hired.

I would like the Cincinnati coach.

On 11/25/2021 at 10:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't think this was a question of choosing between the two, but among all the other candidates out there...who would you want if Cristobal left to go back to Florida?

I guess I could handle getting Peterson if Mario were to leave. However, we must be ready for Jimmy Lake to come with him.

Guest KingT

The only job Mario will take is Miami. Full stop.

On 11/26/2021 at 12:00 AM, DiscoDuck said:

I would like the Cincinnati coach.

I would definitely take Fickell over Moorhead. Not even close.