MaiTaiDuck

Mario and Reality!

I'm in a turmoil right now and today was the first day I was able to get on line and make any comments because I want a Championship and why wouldn't I. There is absolutely " NO EXCUSE " for Mario right now. If AB gives us the best chance to win and he still believes this then this is as good as he will ever be as a HC. I'm done with the AB gives us the best chance to win. If those 3 QBs are not good enough to beat him out, then they have not done a good enough job of recruiting this position. I mean AB should not be starting against the Beavers at all. He's just not good enough so I'd rather lose with one of the others behind center than lose to little brother with him at the helm. Honestly I think Mario Cristobal should be coaching for his job right now.

He's an O Line coach right, well lets just say his prize possession didn't show up for this game. QB no matter what is your best position and most important position but the way Mario coach's and talks about AB being the best then he has " NO VISION AT ALL " and he's not gonna last here long. Look what he had in Hebert and he had no clue about that. All's I know is I've seen enough of this S--- SHOW so now put a real QB in and quit trying to make us believe he gives us the best chance at winning because I don't believe it one iota. Oh yeah how about that non existent Defense with the alleged First pick in the draft who I'll also say he's getting paid (NIL) and he's not even in the NFL. He didn't show up for his ranking and he has no excuse.

Who is the coaching that is supposed to be coaching your most important position QB? I mean is Joe to scared to tell Mario to stay where he belongs and that's the O Line because I'd have to say he needs to start all over with how his PRIZE the O Line played. Honestly this whole thing is starting to look a little inept and this is on him. This kind of loss shouldn't be happening. I'm not just bagging on Mario because this team needs to MAN up as this is CF not junior high. I just want this team ran into the ground because they just embarrassed themselves, the fans and most importantly the Oregon Ducks. We have lost 4 recruits and Banks looks like the next guy our highest ranked guy because if he was all bought in he wouldn't be taking visits.

Sorry everybody but I know for a fact there are others out there that are as pissed off as I am. Oh yeah Mario and what ever gave him the right to ask Oregon fans not to boo. Really your making hand over fist money wise and your product sucks and I hope to GOD that if AB plays like he did in any of the losses and we lose well I hope he gets booed out of the stadium and deservedly so. The real tough questions will be asked if little brother beats us at home with he gives us the best chance to win. If he actually believes that then he won't be here much longer because he doesn't get it. Go ahead and go back to Miami because it doesn't matter if you get top 4 classes every year because you can't figure out offenses.

Also please stop taking games that no other teams do because they want to make the playoff's like the SEC for instance as they keep getting away with 8 games in their conference and then they also get away with HS teams at the end of the season so when has our competition went down not up towards Bowl season. He has a huge game and he's gonna stick with his insanity, so that's ok because we will soon find out if your the right coach for Oregon. I'm starting to think the opposite. You can recruit great players but if you can't coach them up then what good are you as the head man? To me this season is already a colossal waste and please stop taking games against the best in the country when you can't even beat the worst in the conference.

Sorry I apologize for my talk here but to me this is a huge 3 steps back for the program. Also everyone of these privileged players need their rear-ends handed to them this week and jobs need to be open and this includes QB and Thib's needs to be called out for making Dollars for what a 3 star game played. No excuses for him either. 

Well, that was a 5 star that, and you made some good points.

But taking personal shots at Anthony Brown, calling him a clown,  was completely uncalled for and out of line. His play has been sketchy, no question, but he has shown himself to be a class individual.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 4

That's what I'm talking about...

It's called hard work!

Call the shot's and next man up if you didn't do a good job!

M2

First of all, I’m glad you’re not the AD. Second, Utah was the better team on Saturday and still is. They are better than Oregon at every position but DE. Just because they had 3 losses doesn’t mean they stink. They only have one loss since Rising took over and that was in Corvallis which is where teams go to die (thank goodness we’re playing in Autzen this weekend). It would be a safe bet to put your money on Utah to represent the PAC in the Rose Bowl. Saban couldn’t have coached Oregon to a win on Saturday night. They only have like 7 Seniors and they’re down 11 starters overall. 9 wins is a good showing for this team. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:49 PM, DUCKED said:

But taking personal shots at Anthony Brown, calling him a clown,  was completely uncalled for and out of line. His play has been sketchy, no question, but he has shown himself to be a class individual.

I apologize, as I have been detained doing other things the last couple of hours and missed this.  Yes, taking a personal shot at player or coaches is not allowed on the forum (Rule No. 26) although being critical of player performance and coaching decisions is fine, as that is what a forum is for.  We just have to keep it from getting personal.

MaiTai is a good guy who I know, and he is a great fan and has strong feelings (look who is talking!) as we all do.  He forgot momentarily as we all might on occasion, and I went in and edited his post.  Thank you DUCKED for pointing it out as I do want all opinions, but we cannot engage in personal attacks, or attach denigrating labels to people.  Anthony Brown is just like all of us at times,....great at some things, not so at others.

In the future?  Everybody...you can "report" a post for us to look at for moderation and it is easily done in a few clicks.  Directions are right here!    In fact, directions for posting and doing anything are right here, and at the top of the forum below the logo.  It just takes a few minutes to learn something and seconds to actually do it!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Proactive or reactive? You decide...

If Oregon has such great recruiting then why is Oregon looking outside the gate for a QB? I realize Tyler S. Left a hole but other teams just pump another QB in . That's just good coaching

M2

MM2....you are new and it is nice to see you share your thoughts a couple of times.  Do post often and WELCOME!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I can also put myself in the position of our fine Duck boosters. 

Boosters going to the away games and getting that product on  the field . Seeing that product in the field ..in person. Taking the time to fly to the game.. hotel , flying your Duck colors..hostile territory.. then ...

Getting kicked in the stomach. 

Seeing the No.3 team in country do a meltdown... your team. , Your Ducks... I want some butts!

(Top gun)

M2

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 3:42 PM, MM2 said:

Seeing the No.3 team in country do a meltdown... your team. , Your Ducks... I want some butts!

(Top gun)

M2

The Ducks were not the 3rd best team in the FBS.

I believe the CFP committee put them there because of the win in Columbus and they only had 1 loss. 

Even Vegas knew better than to favor the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/24/2021 at 4:23 PM, nw777b said:

I believe the CFP committee put them there because of the win in Columbus and they only had 1 loss. 

I agree. The Committee was being pragmatic putting Oregon where it did, a very tenuous No. 3.

I think the frustration with most Duck fans is that we are barely a top 25 team on the field with 3 years of darn good recruiting, top 10 or better.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I watched KT being double and triple teamed against Utah, (when he wasn't dropping back in coverage -what the ????) which should be expected.

I also expected someone else to be able to get pressure under that circumstance.

I like Mario a lot, but I'm not sold yet on Moorhead or DeRuyter.

My knock on Mario in the Utah game is the team did not appear to play with any energy or emotion, sense of urgency.

That's on the head coach. His team didn't look ready to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, Wood Duck said:

I watched KT being double and triple teamed against Utah, (when he wasn't dropping back in coverage -what the ????) which should be expected.

KT was definitely double and triple teamed against Utah, which indeed should be expected and has happened most games. What shouldn't be expected to the degree that he is frequently held. Game in and game out when watching the replays, KT is being held, and Utah was no exception.

I don't blame blockers for holding him, but why is it hardly ever called? I would expect that Cristobal and DeRuyter must also see what I'm seeing in film review, if not in the game itself. If I were MC, I would make sure to appraise the officiating crews of the fact that KT is held a lot. As long as blockers get away with holding KT, they will continue to do so.

As far as Mario's reality, this is a young team that has been riddled at key positions by injuries. It is amazing that they have gotten 9 wins this season including a road win vs tOSU this season which amounts to nothing short of one of the best wins by any team in the nation. Love him or hate him, AB was instrumental in the tOSU win, as well as all of the others. Love him, or hate him, Mario has done a fabulous job with this team this year.

It's also true that AB played poorly in Oregon's 2 losses, but neither of the losses can be blamed solely on him. Most of the rest of the team played poorly against Utah, and the coaching was sub par in that game.

Before passing judgement, however, let's see how the Ducks do against an Oregon State team that beat Utah. In fact, let's see how the rest of the season plays out. This season and this team's story is not over yet. 

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 3:28 PM, MM2 said:

Proactive or reactive? You decide...

If Oregon has such great recruiting then why is Oregon looking outside the gate for a QB? I realize Tyler S. Left a hole but other teams just pump another QB in . That's just good coaching

M2

The coaching staff saw a gap at QB---Shough didn't pan out---he apparently was a dynamo in practice based teammates statements.  However, Shough didn't have IT in games.  Coaches saw that an brought in Brown, who hasn't been as good as hopes.  Yes, having a high level QB is part of coaching but not having IT happens.  Given all the injuries, the youth etc, Cristobal has done a good job this year.  For fans to say he should be coaching FOR his job; well I don't get it.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 6:07 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

First of all, I’m glad you’re not the AD. Second, Utah was the better team on Saturday and still is. They are better than Oregon at every position but DE. Just because they had 3 losses doesn’t mean they stink. They only have one loss since Rising took over and that was in Corvallis which is where teams go to die (thank goodness we’re playing in Autzen this weekend). It would be a safe bet to put your money on Utah to represent the PAC in the Rose Bowl. Saban couldn’t have coached Oregon to a win on Saturday night. They only have like 7 Seniors and they’re down 11 starters overall. 9 wins is a good showing for this team. 

Good take Doc but Utah is not better at every position. Check out the draft boards.

A Nick Saban coached team would not have lost the game by 31 points. Saban is 100-1 in his last 101 games vs unranked opponents and the team Bama lost to by a FG on the road, A+M, is now ranked No. 15.

9 wins is the floor for this team and not the ceiling. This team defeated the No. 2 ranked team in Columbus with 2 key guys injured and the same # of seniors who were on the roster vs Utah.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2021 at 7:20 PM, DuckHeart said:

The coaching staff saw a gap at QB---Shough didn't pan out---he apparently was a dynamo in practice based teammates statements.  However, Shough didn't have IT in games.  Coaches saw that an brought in Brown, who hasn't been as good as hopes.  Yes, having a high level QB is part of coaching but not having IT happens.  Given all the injuries, the youth etc, Cristobal has done a good job this year.  For fans to say he should be coaching FOR his job; well I don't get it.  

I’m pretty sure we would have been better this year with Shough at quarterback. The Ducks’ passing game would have been much improved, able to stretch the field, which would have made the receiving corps more productive, and the running game, the team’s offensive strength, would have been even better.

The way Cristobal handled Shough at the end of last season undermined his confidence and drove him away. Who’s to say that he wouldn’t have come back strong this season. Players who are adequately coached tend to improve. Had he stayed the Ducks, at the very least, would have had a reliable backup - Shough or Brown - to step in when the offense stalled. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2021 at 11:00 AM, DUCKED said:

The way Cristobal handled Shough at the end of last season undermined his confidence and drove him away. Who’s to say that he wouldn’t have come back strong this season. Players who are adequately coached tend to improve. Had he stayed the Ducks, at the very least, would have had a reliable backup - 

Shough started the year well, but melted down in the Cal game and his confidence never returned. He looked worse each game after. That’s why MC pulled him, and I think that was the right call.

I’m sure he transferred because he knew he lost the starting job and saw equal or better talent coming up. Maybe he would have been better than AB this year?  We’ll never know. But I lost respect for him when he transferred - you don’t pick up the ball and go home, you get back on the horse and fight for the starting job.

That is, unless you don’t have self-confidence, which would underline his meltdown. No way would he have been rocky steady in the gun at fOSU. Nor in the comeback at UCLA nor the gale/downpour at UW.

His transfer stats are average, then he got hurt, so his true performance grade is hard to judge in his new home.

But despite his limitations, I feel AB was a better leader for us this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, DUCKED said:

I’m pretty sure we would have been better this year with Shough at quarterback. The Ducks’ passing game would have been much improved, able to stretch the field, which would have made the receiving corps more productive, and the running game, the team’s offensive strength, would have been even better.

The way Cristobal handled Shough at the end of last season undermined his confidence and drove him away. Who’s to say that he wouldn’t have come back strong this season. Players who are adequately coached tend to improve. Had he stayed the Ducks, at the very least, would have had a reliable backup - Shough or Brown - to step in when the offense stalled. 

I felt the same way. Coaches seemed quick to replace Shough, but seem to refuse to switch it up when Brown struggles.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:37 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

I'm in a turmoil right now and today was the first day I was able to get on line and make any comments because I want a Championship and why wouldn't I. There is absolutely " NO EXCUSE " for Mario right now. If AB gives us the best chance to win and he still believes this then this is as good as he will ever be as a HC. I'm done with the AB gives us the best chance to win. If those 3 QBs are not good enough to beat him out, then they have not done a good enough job of recruiting this position. I mean AB should not be starting against the Beavers at all. He's just not good enough so I'd rather lose with one of the others behind center than lose to little brother with him at the helm. Honestly I think Mario Cristobal should be coaching for his job right now.

He's an O Line coach right, well lets just say his prize possession didn't show up for this game. QB no matter what is your best position and most important position but the way Mario coach's and talks about AB being the best then he has " NO VISION AT ALL " and he's not gonna last here long. Look what he had in Hebert and he had no clue about that. All's I know is I've seen enough of this S--- SHOW so now put a real QB in and quit trying to make us believe he gives us the best chance at winning because I don't believe it one iota. Oh yeah how about that non existent Defense with the alleged First pick in the draft who I'll also say he's getting paid (NIL) and he's not even in the NFL. He didn't show up for his ranking and he has no excuse.

Who is the coaching that is supposed to be coaching your most important position QB? I mean is Joe to scared to tell Mario to stay where he belongs and that's the O Line because I'd have to say he needs to start all over with how his PRIZE the O Line played. Honestly this whole thing is starting to look a little inept and this is on him. This kind of loss shouldn't be happening. I'm not just bagging on Mario because this team needs to MAN up as this is CF not junior high. I just want this team ran into the ground because they just embarrassed themselves, the fans and most importantly the Oregon Ducks. We have lost 4 recruits and Banks looks like the next guy our highest ranked guy because if he was all bought in he wouldn't be taking visits.

Sorry everybody but I know for a fact there are others out there that are as pissed off as I am. Oh yeah Mario and what ever gave him the right to ask Oregon fans not to boo. Really your making hand over fist money wise and your product sucks and I hope to GOD that if AB plays like he did in any of the losses and we lose well I hope he gets booed out of the stadium and deservedly so. The real tough questions will be asked if little brother beats us at home with he gives us the best chance to win. If he actually believes that then he won't be here much longer because he doesn't get it. Go ahead and go back to Miami because it doesn't matter if you get top 4 classes every year because you can't figure out offenses.

Also please stop taking games that no other teams do because they want to make the playoff's like the SEC for instance as they keep getting away with 8 games in their conference and then they also get away with HS teams at the end of the season so when has our competition went down not up towards Bowl season. He has a huge game and he's gonna stick with his insanity, so that's ok because we will soon find out if your the right coach for Oregon. I'm starting to think the opposite. You can recruit great players but if you can't coach them up then what good are you as the head man? To me this season is already a colossal waste and please stop taking games against the best in the country when you can't even beat the worst in the conference.

Sorry I apologize for my talk here but to me this is a huge 3 steps back for the program. Also everyone of these privileged players need their rear-ends handed to them this week and jobs need to be open and this includes QB and Thib's needs to be called out for making Dollars for what a 3 star game played. No excuses for him either. 

My dear MaiTai,

Good to see you back.  I feel the Stanford game was by far the tip of the spear when it comes to rage.  

So allow me to present some pondering thoughts for all:

Haven seen the backup QBs last spring, and last year, are there ANY you feel would have garnered a 9-2 record so far ( my take is definitely not)?

Did you believe AB would defeat tOSU?  Who in America believed that?  Which backup would have defeated the Buckeyes in your opinion, THEN continued the momentum and stayed undefeated?

Not to defend Brown whatsoever.  From what I've seen,  the talent behind him isn't wise enough to lead this team to said record.  They just aren't ready.  

As to Utah, the Ducks are absolutely more talented.  MC, Morehead and DeRuyter aren't excellent "in game" adjusters.  They practically live and die by their scripted plan for each opponent (this is too common in college).  

Utah pulled a "on David Shaw on Chip Kelly" move.  Utah is not able to block the defense one on one.  So they went numbers advantage.  DeRuyter didn't counter that scheme.  

Brown wouldn't throw downfield.  Morehead couldn't find an answer.  Brown hasn't demonstrated he can't shake off an ineffective start.  From what I've seen of the backups, they can't either (this is a mental process as much as anything else, but far too few coaches teach the mental aspect of breaking momentum, not to mention imposing it).

Another aspect of this is too many coaches rely on physical ability.  That won't fly against equal player talent. Or coaches "in your league" or above.

Cristobal is no different than any above average coach.  And frankly, two, maybe three coaches could handle the dynamics Oregon walked into last Saturday. 

Even David Shaw can't handle a David Shaw.  Whittingham is probably the best coach in the conference.  He had the perfect storm going his way.  His players are peaking, he was at home, and he had nothing to lose.  

Cristobal, like most doesn't fully evaluate his capabilities.  From my perspective, these guys (college coaches in general ) get paid too much because they show little ability to adjust immediately to "conditions on the ground".  

I've mentioned the one coach I feel is capable of replacing MC.  Chris Petersen.  I'm not sure he'd come back to coaching.  But even Petersen has weaknesses.  I need to evaluate more prospects, but I'm not Mullens.  

MC is a work in progress, and shows signs of being a Rich Brooks guy over the long term.  He will get there.  It's best he stays ( cause he will get drop kicked in Florida with any of those three marquee programs).  I think he's way smarter than the Snake.  

Yes, I'm peeved.  The Big picture isn't as bad as it seems.  We will always contend for a conference title with MC.  And I believe he would develop sooner if he was challenged by two or three high caliber coaches (because he to has an ego, and he won't accept being outdone).  

Find us a real prospect (one that would take Oregon seriously), and maybe I'd change my mind.  I want a title, but it is going to take time at this point.  No matter who is at the helm. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, cartm25 said:

I couldn’t agree more with the comment about this regime’s ability to extract the least possible production from the QB position. The contrast between UO Herbert and NFL Herbert should be embarrassing to MC and company.

I disagree.  Maybe Herbert is thriving now because ….. he is thriving now. Does it have to be someone’s fault?!

“After playing college football at Michigan, Brady was selected 199th overall by the Patriots in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft, later earning him a reputation as the NFL's biggest draft steal.”

The GOAT …. 199th pick. Hmm, you think Michigan fans were giving their program sh3t for Brady not being coached up in his college days?!

Edited by Smith72
Too critical of other posters. Their opinions aren't valid.
  • Thumbs Up 2

It is fascinating to hear we can't develop talent, and almost in the same sentence we need to start the freshman. Developing talent means you wait a year or more before you see them play. This is especially true at qb, maybe you watched the freshman 5* dawg qb throw 5 picks tonight.

We have talent, we are developing talent and we are doing as much as possible with AB. AB is doing as much as possible, at great risk to his health, for this program. 

I think we will benefit greatly from having saved our backups for next season. Now seeing them start in Atlanta against Georgia, that won't be pretty, I can agree with that. But maybe just maybe, who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It is interesting to see all the comments on how poor a coach MC is and how we should roll over everyone in our wake. If MC does move on to Oklahoma, Miami or wherever, we will then be faced with coming up with a coach that can recruit on par with Lincoln Riley at USC.  Who is that coach that is willing to come to Oregon?  Duck fans are like most fans in that they are delusional.  MC  took a very young team with a boatload of injuries and got them to a current 10-2 record. 

He did it with a good, not great QB, who is limited in his throwing skills, but is a great leader and has the trust of his team.  There are certain aspects of this team we all would like to see improved and given another coaching cycle with these young men it could happen.  Wanting to jump ship on MC at this time would undoubtedly put us in a much worse position initially and probably going forward, unless we can find another Lincoln Riley willing to come to Eugene.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:57 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think the frustration with most Duck fans is that we are barely a top 25 team on the field with 3 years of darn good recruiting, top 10 or better.

I think Oregon may be ranked as high as 8 Tuesday night?

• Thumbs Up 2