30Duck

Can Altman and the Ducks Turn the Season Around?

The Ducks were picked to finish right behind UCLA in the standings, No. 12 in the Poll. But then BYU happened.

Ducks Wire  Zachary Neel

Even Dana Altman is surprised by the Ducks regression in the past few games.

image.jpeg.96bbc75fd2715b7138957362ca7be7bf.jpeg

I thought this was one of the best collections of talent Altman's staff had ever recruited...and shooting woes is not something I expected!

Mr. FishDuck

IF Altman can turn this group around into a winning b-ball team, he would, indeed, be a Miracle Worker.  I’d love to see it!

This picture says it all, at present, though:

image.thumb.png.2462bb59089c6814e7e4e62a27d31cc1.pngimage.thumb.png.2462bb59089c6814e7e4e62a27d31cc1.png

• Thumbs Up 1

In Altman I have trusted since 2010.  He seems to always get his players to peak by March.  I am more than content to let him coach this team up.

I think Dana can and will turn this group around in time for a tourney run in March.  

I also believe in Altman, Graves, and Cristobal.  All three put a respectable team in the game.  They may not win every game, but what coach does?  They alway finish at or near the top of the PAC.

I personally cannot recall a three-year period where 3 different Duck teams ended their seasons ranked as high as MFB, MBB, and WBB have been in the last 3 years.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 9:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I thought this was one of the best collections of talent Altman's staff had ever recruited...and shooting woes is not something I expected!

On paper I thought the same thing.

But there is one BIG problem. There is not a natural point guard on the team as Tony Stubblefield took Jalen Terry with him to Depaul. Richardson is a classic 2 guard along with Jacob Young and De'vion Harmon. This has created a chemistry problem.

The most natural point guard I have seen play so far is Gabe Reichle, who I believe is a walk on from Wilsonville HS. 

If it were me I would start Reichle, Richardson, Williams, Guerrier and Dante for a few games and see how it goes. Bring Kepnang, Harmon and Young off the bench. Sub in Bittle for Guerrier periodically as well.

Without a floor general you end up with the kind of numbers we have been seeing. Very few assists due to poor ball movement. Those stats translate to very difficult looks at the hoop. Difficult looks at the hoop translate to poor shooting percentages and subsequent 50 point averages per game.

Edited by C J

Here is my take...which Oregon MBB coach, in Oregon history, has had 20+ win seasons in every one of his years as a head coach? Give up? Dana Altman.

From his first year to this year he makes every team a contender with current players and transfer portal players. In Dana I trust.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

He will have things turned around before midway through the season.