30Duck

It Looks Like Aranda and Fickell are Fine Where They are

This is awesome.  Getting down to leaving only B listers to fill spots.  

Not great at all

not a peep about Mario wanting to stay at Oregon 

Pretty sure if he was staying we would have heard details on a contract extension by now.

Also we have had 3 de commits in the last month on the recruiting trail.

A week or two from now, we could be trying to keep our recruiting class from falling apart and looking for a B list coach.

If he does leave it’s Chris Peterson or bust!

On the bright side if Mario does stay he is here for the long haul, I can’t imagine another off season with as many premium coaching positions available until Saban retires.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:23 PM, Southwest Duck said:

Not great at all

not a peep about Mario wanting to stay at Oregon 

Pretty sure if he was staying we would have heard details on a contract extension by now.

Also we have had 3 de commits in the last month on the recruiting trail.

Mario did sign a one year extension. Could still get bought out but it ups the ante.

Commits seem to sign then drive (away) more often these days. Extra pressure to sign early, then legit second thoughts. All schools have them and we have an equal chance to sign one from another school. I’m not overly worried about de-commits. 

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point in time my bet would be that MC stays at Oregon. He is still relatively young, if he puts the Ducks in the playoffs in the next few years the sky is the limit.

Andrew Nemec just had a podcast that addresses the 3 decommits and after hearing all the evidence I agree with him that it's nothing to worry about. 

Moorhead is an incredible prospect to take over Oregon HC job or go to Udub, maybe even USC.  Chris Petersen could also take the Udub job.

I do wonder how much MC's marketability may have been compromised by what we all have seen directly from the Oregon football team this year. Fantastic recruiting following by mediocre coaching and game management that is often embarrassing to witness. He might HAVE TO STAY at Oregon for a while now because the big football schools to which he might have been tempted to jump have now taken a SECOND LOOK at this guy, especially after the Utah debacle.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 1

What I find interesting is the two dynamics I think coming into play here. One the money is getting a bit silly, and may not matter as much as it use to. The other is programs are getting desperate and that desperation is scaring coaches into staying right where they are. 

First the money, just how much is enough? I think the $3+ million a year is enough for most people to feel extremely comfortable, not that I know by experience. Coaches aren't as attracted by an extra million as they were by making the leap to the multi million dollar contract. I think we are seeing coaches balk at changing just because programs are throwing silly money around.

The other dynamic is programs who fire coaches mid season, and after a short period are becoming unattractive, even though they look good on the surface. Why would a coach, Aranda and Fickell are perfect examples, want to leave a comfortable job where they are making bank. They see coaches getting fired in ugly ways, way too early and can picture themselves and their families experiencing the same. 

I think we are seeing a shift, certainly not a sea change, but a shift in how coaches are just willing to jump from one job to the next. The money just isn't the driver like it use to be, and the jobs which use to be attractive aren't as pretty as they use to be.

5vmwze.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think we are seeing a shift, certainly not a sea change, but a shift in how coaches are just willing to jump from one job to the next. The money just isn't the driver like it use to be, and the jobs which use to be attractive aren't as pretty as they use to be.

The Slick Willie Effect?