FishDuck Article

Oregon/OSU GameDay Thread: What is Oregon’s Identity? What Should it Be?

I am still trying to figure out what Mario Cristobal is actually building at Oregon between what he says and what we as fans see on the field. But first–let’s use this article as the GameDay thread over on the OBD forum, and let’s discuss aspects of the contest before the game, during the game and after the game right ...

Read the full article here...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I couldn't have said it any better!

"...the emphasis should be focused on points; preventing them on defense and scoring boatloads of them on offense."

Without Mental Toughness, You panic and/or shoot yourself in the foot with penalties.

Thanks Charles!

• Thumbs Up 1

The identity is still an exciting team who wins games, to rest of college football. The reality is becoming a plodding team which can't score points or pass well. 

I think the true identity is a conservative team that does what it takes to win, most of the time. We were conservative with Justin and we are conservative with Anthony.  Most think we are being conservative with our backup qb's. On the extreme, when was the last time we ran a trick play, case closed.

The identity of Cristobal is he cares. He is like the lawnmower parent who wants to make sure his kids never trip, always have a clear path, even though they think they are raising a tough, resilient child. When we do throw or do something a little off, you can see the anxiety in Cristobal from a mile away. He would be the worst poker player to ever sit at a table. 

In defense of Cristobal he does try and win while using his players to their conservative best. When our talent level rises at receiver and qb there is hope he will allow for the wide open pass downfield to happen. I think he will need Feld holding him back the whole time the pass is in the air, 'so much could go wrong!'

So the hope with the identity of this team is we can meet the still alive thinking on who we are, before who we really are becomes set in stone. Next year and the following year give us the best chance with an ability level at passing and catching we haven't seen in many years. We actually have some of those receivers on the field today. Maybe, just maybe, AB will get the ball in their hands, exciting to think about, and there is still hope, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Another item, game day at Autzen couldn't be a more beautiful day for football! It never rains at Autzen and may 'Shout' be sung with the game in the bag, and the beavs looking toward another day, defeated, but hopeful, as they always are.

5vq0uz.jpg

• Like 2

The Beavs can't win the N, but ruining it for the Ducks will be more than enough motivation to have them fired up. The Ducks have to treat this OSU the same way they did to the OSU they beat in the 2nd week of the season, get on top at the start and stay there.  The big difference is that there may have been a feeling of "Nothing to lose" going through the Ducks in the 'Shoe, there's everything to lose today in Autzen.

I have noticed that the D comes out firing, but as the O struggles repeatedly to score, their enthusiasm wanes dramatically. 

They NEED the O to start fast and build momentum. 

Maybe the players are like us fans, wondering who will show up, and waiting for the shoe to drop. 

Hoping for the best,

Go Ducks 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks are just a good team in a weak conference. Guessing they'd be 7-5 or 8-4  in the SEC and BIG1. They have not learned how to walk

the talk. It's easy to say physicality, it's another thing to be it. One thing I will note though is in many of the games the D has held their

opponents to very few points in the 2nd half. That IMO has kept the team in the game allowing the Sloth of an offense to score. I'm hoping

they come out fired up as for some it's their last game in Autzen. 

OT a little but why so many injuries? Do they need a different trainer?

This Duck team has made every opponent look like a very good football team. I get they are young and riddled with injury, at some point the coaching staff needs to take responsibility.  Fix your side of the street coach or the deep pool of Jimmy's and Joe's will dry up. At this point there is no identity other than one dimensional offense and out of position defense.  None of it will change until Mario Cristobal takes an honest look within. That said... Go Ducks!

• Like 1

I am very satisfied with Mario, not completely, but very satisfied.

I think we are seeing him evolve and getting out of his own way.

Yes, Hebert was somewhat wasted.  And that could have been due to "saving" him for the pros by not using him during his career as he was in his last two games, Utah Pac 12 CShip and Rose Bowl.

This year with only a serviceable QB and a whole lot of injuries to what would have been a much better D, where we are is great.  Make us earn the North and battle back for a Pac 12 CShip.

After all, that was the goal of most of the fans at the beginning of the year and now on Nov 27 it is still doable.

I think we all knew being #3 was pyrite.  It was nice why it lasted.

This is his 4th year (although 2020 shouldn't be considered a full year with what the Pac 12 had to go thru), his recruits now, and hopefully an intact coaching staff going ONWARD AND UPWARD. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It's Senior Day. I counted seven Seniors on the roster, 3 are out with season ending injury and one is playing with a club on his hand. I'm going to sit in the rain and hope for the best against the Beavers. Go Ducks.

I’m ok with tough but only if you score lots of points. Until MC puts a Qb in his lineup that can make the correct decision and also come within 2 yards of his target on 86% of his passes then they will struggle to win any game.

• Thumbs Up 3

It sure was fun watching Chip's Ducks regularly putting up 40, 50, 60+ points per game, but I'd be happy with a "ground and pound" running identity, so long as it results in W's.

I think Chip himself once said something like "I don't care how many points we score, as long as at the end of the game we have one more point than they do."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:57 AM, Just Ducky said:

I’m ok with tough but only if you score lots of points. Until MC puts a Qb in his lineup that can make the correct decision and also come within 2 yards of his target on 86% of his passes then they will struggle to win any game.

Another day, another conversation, but it does raise the question on the, what seems to be, focus on the qb with the biggest arm, perfect size. We need a qb who can make all the throws, and more importantly make all the right decisions.

With the coaches and pundits seeming to focus on how strong a qb's arm is are we missing the next great Bill Musgrave or smaller sized kid with 'it?'

That seemed to be what we were facing last year against Iowa State. We lost to a qb who wasn't as highly rated at Shough, but head to head, Shough never beat the kid, 0-3 I think. He was undersized, but game smart and made all the throws. Watching Brock Purdy play made me think about the qb's we use to have. That game, QB comparison, made me really ponder what Oregon's identity was and is becoming?

Are we beginning to be the perfect team, the team that looks perfect on paper, but not the team who knows how to win, as least scrap for a win in all situations? That is a question we will again get feedback on in a few hours. Rise up Ducks, show us what you can do, not just look like you can do, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2021 at 6:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

The identity of Cristobal is he cares. He is like the lawnmower parent who wants to make sure his kids never trip, always have a clear path, even though they think they are raising a tough, resilient child.

Nice insight HD — and great article FD.  MC’s coaching outlook has been influenced by his playing career in the trenches.  And, priority one for a lineman is to protect.  A child’s identity (ie, his/her self confidence ) won’t emerge until the parent takes off the training wheels and gives him a shove down the drive way.

The trouble with toughness is not in being that, but in how it is focused.  If that focus is primarily on the defensive, protective, then your not risking enough to succeed, to find your confidence — your identity. It takes that to score points.

We saw that with Herbert.  After all, it is the reflex of a lineman to protect his QB.  That said, MC appears to get that, and has freed up AB (maybe because he’s had no other choice) to move about the cabin.

I still feel Mario is a work in progress, and worthy of our support because he learns from his mistakes.  Will he ever be able to take the training wheels off? Only time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 9:41 AM, Haywarduck said:

Another day, another conversation, but it does raise the question on the, what seems to be, focus on the qb with the biggest arm, perfect size. We need a qb who can make all the throws, and more importantly make all the right decisions.

With the coaches and pundits seeming to focus on how strong a qb's arm is are we missing the next great Bill Musgrave or smaller sized kid with 'it?'

That seemed to be what we were facing last year against Iowa State. We lost to a qb who wasn't as highly rated at Shough, but head to head, Shough never beat the kid, 0-3 I think. He was undersized, but game smart and made all the throws. Watching Brock Purdy play made me think about the qb's we use to have. That game, QB comparison, made me really ponder what Oregon's identity was and is becoming?

Are we beginning to be the perfect team, the team that looks perfect on paper, but not the team who knows how to win, as least scrap for a win in all situations? That is a question we will again get feedback on in a few hours. Rise up Ducks, show us what you can do, not just look like you can do, Go Ducks!

Watching WSU's de Laura last night made me go Hmmm. He seemed more accurate and had better down field passing than AB. Both are gamers but de Laura seemed to have a better grasp of the game. Maybe WA helped IDK.

Totally agree with the article.

Two huge factors:

1. We are too conservative and predictable to consistently fool other teams and stay competitive. This is the foundational coaching issue we have and is what leads to the plodding. Notice how our receivers are rarely wide open.

2. The mental toughness aspect is paramount. How many times have we shot ourselves in the foot this year? Penalties and lots of just weird bonehead plays. Hopefully this is because we have a very high percentage of freshman and sophomores.....although in reality they are more like sophomores and juniors if it weren't for the covid season. Notice how penalties are having such a huge factor in this Michigan vs. tOSU game.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 1

here we go again with ESPN -maybe we will see the beginning of the 2nd

On 11/27/2021 at 12:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

here we go again with ESPN -maybe we will see the beginning of the 2nd

It's on ESPN2 right now

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 12:39 PM, deschutesduck said:

It's on ESPN2 right now

Thanks!!

And here we go with our first special teams mistake kicking it out of bounds!!!

The sheer amount of mistakes we make on special teams is unreal.

Best pass of the year for Anthony Brown!!! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On the run, that was some throw!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

well i did not expect that pass 😮

• Like 1

GO Ducks!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

AB threw that pass? Am I dreaming? That was beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/27/2021 at 12:58 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

AB threw that pass? Am I dreaming? That was beautiful.

He does a few more of those and I owe a big apology to him

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Ducks clobbering the Beavs with a balanced attack.

On 11/27/2021 at 1:00 PM, DuckIt said:

Ducks clobbering the Beavs with a balanced attack.

I guarantee the Beavers will not go away in this one. They can score bunches of points in a hurry. Jonathan Smith is the best coach in the Pac12 in my opinion. He will adjust.

Gotta put our foot on their throat on the defensive side. Gotta get stops on 3rd down......our achilles heel.

• Thumbs Up 1

All the more reason, the Ducks need to keep this lead. They have nice rhythm to their offense right now.

Good catch by Williams!  That ball was low.

• Thumbs Up 1

AB back to missing every pass again. Is there something really wrong with his technique or what?

AB had better options that were wide open than Hudson.

Edited by DuckIt

Ducks looking good so far!!

He had a bunch of late throws.  Thorton might have had his second TD.

Kind of a typical end to that drive with the botched screen play, a few bad passes and then the penalty from the offensive line.

That was the exact recipe that got our butts kicked by 31 points last week.

The only difference.........Lewis drilled the field goal this time so at least there is that.

On 11/27/2021 at 1:27 PM, C J said:

The only difference

Well, that and the Ducks are ahead 17-3 and dominating the game.

On 11/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, jrw said:

Well, that and the Ducks are ahead 17-3 and dominating the game.

I really hope the team does not have this mindset.

Edited by C J

even though AB almost threw a pass to the fans I think taking a few deep shots here and there will help keep OSU's defense on it's toes.  I think they're looking pretty good so far... i was definitely worried they were going to start flat but they came ready to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, C J said:

I really hope the team does not have this mindset.

The attitudes of players and fans could not be more different.

After last week's train wreck, I don't think any of us expected the Ducks to put on this type of beating on the Beavs.

Smith has adjusted. The run game is not working here in the last two drives.

On 11/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, jrw said:

The attitudes of players and fans could not be more different.

Yeah, you can tell by how so many of our games have unfolded this year.

If AB could throw that then Franklin would have a TD. Ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a little more arc (air under the ball) and that's a touchdown!

• Thumbs Up 1

What an effort by AB!

• Thumbs Up 3

AB looks a little banged up.  He was slow getting up on number of runs on that last drive.  Ducks need to attack the edges more.  I want to see some option play.

No matter what you say about Brown you can't say he doesn't put in a lot of effort. What a great run for that TD.

This is exactly how you would dream the first half would go.

The defense has been the most surprising. I assumed the Beav's would score quite a few points. Mckinley has shown up in a big way again. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Even as a kid I knew who was the better Oregon team. DuckBeaver.jpg.a0082610c926f07207941a8d559e6d9a.jpg

• Haha 1

It took them two efforts, but OBD FINALLY are putting a team in the grave early.

Let's see if they finish the job in the second half ( and end this in the third quarter).