Charles Fischer

Miami Boosters Serious about Acquiring Cristobal

Several confirmed their pursuit of Cristobal in the last day?

Miami Boosters Want Team to Pry Away Prominent Pac-12 Coach? by Darryn Albert of Larry Brown Sports

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It does raise the question on what Oregon is after Cristobal. Will it be a program in disarray like when he took over, or the program Chip took over?

I do wonder if Cristobal is building something a coach will be able to just take over and win, or will there be mass exodus and no real successor? I hope we don't have to find out anytime soon.

I also trust, at this point, Cristobal is a man of character, and wouldn't leave the program until he has built what he came to build. I see a Chip type takeover, not the panic slick hire, I hope!

• Like 1

This one is frightening. What if Miami offers serious big money? Like double Mario's current salary, plus a return to his home plus no state taxes. They could make it too good to pass up.

• Thumbs Up 1

When it gets down to real, these thing usually come down to who offers the most money.  

So,  If Miami offers and our donors want to keep him,  it is probably within their control.  Deep pockets are largely what

runs college football now.  These new financial arrangements for athletes are a new paradigm.  We shall see what happens soon.

Oregon will not disappear should Mario leave.  I hope he stays personally and we pay what is necessary, but it is not like losing Chip Kelly ay the time.

We have not been a real playoff threat since.  I think he stays, but lol, I don't even know the man.

So Phil, what do you want to do?

Go Ducks!  Win the Rose Bowl, the grandaddy of them all.

Cristobal will receive $4.75 annually in his new contract extension.

Give him the same as Tucker's $9.5 million annual contract at Mich. St.

Donald Duck Money GIF

On 11/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

Cristobal will receive $4.75 annually in his new contract extension.

Give him the same as Tucker's $9.5 million annual contract at Mich. St.

Donald Duck Money GIF

Michigan State got blown out after that stupid contract and may lose again this weekend. Keep supporting Cristobal and making the job at Oregon as attractive as possible, but, I say, don't do anything foolish.

• Thumbs Up 1

The key is to be prepared.

As long as Mullens is proactive, and reaches out to candidates, I'm fine with what happens.

I like Cristobal.  He is a Rich Brooks in the making ( and is on that type of arc developmentally).  

I'm talking to Chris Petersen if I'm in that position, with a mandate to hire a Chip Kelly type OC, and Dave Aranda type DC.  Peterson will be able to take care of the rest. 

It's about the right "management at the top".  Cristobal laid the foundation, but he won't complete the mission anytime soon.  He has much to learn. I'd rather have Miami make that mistake and pay us for it.  

But I can be patient as long as I see enough development from MC.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2021 at 4:03 PM, Mike West said:

I can be patient as long as I see enough development from MC.

Agreed.  He has a ways to go, but if he will continue to grow...

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I do wonder how much the 2020 season messed up the trajectory of the program. Yes... We did win the Pac-12 but with all the opt outs, it does raise the question of how much mentorship was lost because we started having to press freshman into service earlier than we would have otherwise. 

Starting to see some very good things out of the youth... Right now we are just hampered by injuries so bad it's difficult to see the growth. 

“The U” needs much deeper pockets if they want to match Uncle Phil. That is, if PK wants to keep MC around. I’ve heard he’s willing to do what it takes to keep him. Miami is probably looking for the alumni discount.

• Haha 1

I don't think Mario would do too well in Miami.  Not the recruiting, but because of the fact that he doesn't seem to know how to keep his team together. Miami is a place where, let's just say, people can get into trouble. 

Just my opinion. 

Well, one could look at it this way. We ALWAYS knew the LOYALTY TEST was coming sooner or later. Best that it is sooner. IS MC a REAL DUCK or just another imposter? Is he willing to listen to the criticisms instead of deflecting them, admit his mistakes, learn, improve, and work harder to be a better coach for our team - or not? So let's find out NOW and not waste any more time.

Edited by toketeeman

On 11/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, toketeeman said:

IS MC a REAL DUCK or just another imposter?

I can really only think of one coach I would call an "Imposter". Taggart was disingenuous from the moment he stood on the stage with his arms wide open, about how sincerely he was happy to be in Oregon.  Should Mario leave tomorrow, I'll believe he was Green and Yellow every second he was here. 

• Thumbs Up 2

And to add intrigue into the situation, Mario took off for Florida to visit his mother who is not feeling well immediately after his press conference tonight. Will Miami talk to him while he is there visiting his mother? Count on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/27/2021 at 6:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I wish his mother well. Tough to be coaching while your mother is not well.

I don't like the idea he is flying 'home' that one doesn't make sense. Home should be Eugene, if he is all green and yellow, right?

With that comment I would check the hospitals, itinerary make sure he isn't headed to Gainesville?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Miami has the money to pay Mario's $9M buy out, Diaz' buy out and come with a whole lot more $ than Mario is making?

On 11/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, Haywarduck said:

I don't like the idea he is flying 'home' that one doesn't make sense. Home should be Eugene, if he is all green and yellow, right?

I called the last house i lived in with my parents home till they sold it (well after i had moved out)... their home/voip phone number is still listed as home in my cell phone

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2021 at 6:01 PM, 30Duck said:

I can really only think of one coach I would call an "Imposter". Taggart was disingenuous from the moment he stood on the stage with his arms wide open, about how sincerely he was happy to be in Oregon.  

Definitely agree on Taggart. Frankly, as soon as he opened his mouth at his first press interview, I knew Oregon had hired a dud, and wondered how he had ever gotten through the interview . . .

Edited by toketeeman

Guest KingT

I don't think Mario would say his Mother is ill if she wasn't - that would be bad karma and its not consistent with his honest approach to things. If Miami wanted to talk to him this time of year, they would certainly come see him under the radar.

I also don't think Mario would go visit Miami during a short playoff week. First, Miami needs an AD, then they can pursue Mario and other coaches. No doubt Mario is high on their list. However, they haven't fired their coach yet either, so there's that important issue yet to be resolved.

Duck Nation. If Miami offers, Mario will leave. It's his home. It will happen, unfortunately for us.But he's put this program on a  great track and it will be fine should he leave. Miami is gonna have to raise some serious money (est $6-7M) to get Mario, so let's see. Such is life in the College Football Arms ( I mean coaches) race these days.

Finally, I stand here, hand over heart and apologize for picking against the Ducks today. The wounds of last week were deep and traumatic. Go Ducks.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't think Miami has the money to pay Mario's $9M buy out, Diaz' buy out and come with a whole lot more $ than Mario is making?

Come on Jon! Of course Miami has the 9 million to pay Mario's buy out, Diaz's buy out, and pay Mario at least twice what he's making at Oregon. This is 2021 my friend and billionaires aren't that rare anymore. Trust me when I tell you that there are some extremely wealthy Miami football donors who want to see their team back in the discussion.

If Michigan State can figure out a way to come up with a 10 year 95 million dollar deal to keep their coach, then Miami, we are talking The U here, can easily find a way to come up with a deal for Mario that is as sweet or sweeter. If it just comes down to a matter of money, then that isn't going to be a problem for Miami.

On 11/27/2021 at 5:36 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

“The U” needs much deeper pockets if they want to match Uncle Phil. That is, if PK wants to keep MC around. I’ve heard he’s willing to do what it takes to keep him. Miami is probably looking for the alumni discount.

Miami is not without billionaires in their booster ranks. And there has never been a time like now that a desire to change course has been shared amongst the president, a large contingent of the BOT, and the alumni/boosters.

It has not been a matter of having money, it has been a matter of willingness to spend it.  Mario is not unhappy in Eugene, but in order to stay it should be expected that he will have a significantly better contract. He will be the number one candidate at Miami when the AD is in place, and they are not going to assume he will take a pay cut relative to his value to come home.

(From the Oregon Press Release I just received as credentialed media)

Mario Cristobal: "I have to very quickly hop on a plane and see my mom. Keep her in your prayers - she got pretty sick pretty quickly, and I gotta go see her. But I should touch back here by 4 p.m. tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure I got out there. So, that’ll be a touch and go for me, while I work, of course, the entire time. And the staff is already finishing up grading this one so we can hop on the next one." 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/27/2021 at 9:50 PM, latracey said:

Come on Jon! Of course Miami has the 9 million to pay Mario's buy out, Diaz's buy out, and pay Mario at least twice what he's making at Oregon. This is 2021 my friend and billionaires aren't that rare anymore. Trust me when I tell you that there are some extremely wealthy Miami football donors who want to see their team back in the discussion.

If Michigan State can figure out a way to come up with a 10 year 95 million dollar deal to keep their coach, then Miami, we are talking The U here, can easily find a way to come up with a deal for Mario that is as sweet or sweeter. If it just comes down to a matter of money, then that isn't going to be a problem for Miami.

Check the MI ST alumni base vs the Miami alumni base. Check the will of administrations in the B1G to spend big on football vs the ACC. If Miami was serious about football they would be talking about renovating the orange bowl. 

Doesn't mean Mario wouldn't trip to Miami? But Canes boosters are not coming with a $96M deal we just saw for Tucker or the similar deal for Franklin at Penn State.

Miami does not have the $ B1G and SEC teams have. The ACC last season distributed less per team than did the Pac-12.

Florida on the other hand?

On 11/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, toketeeman said:

Well, one could look at it this way. We ALWAYS knew the LOYALTY TEST was coming sooner or later. Best that it is sooner. IS MC a REAL DUCK or just another imposter? Is he willing to listen to the criticisms instead of deflecting them, admit his mistakes, learn, improve, and work harder to be a better coach for our team - or not? So let's find out NOW and not waste any more time.

I can appreciate what you are saying here completely. But who is the test of loyalty really to if the other party is your home town, your family, your community, and your alma mater?

I think if removed from the situation, the perspective on this could be that it isn’t a slight on UO.

On 11/27/2021 at 9:57 PM, WCCIDT said:

Miami is not without billionaires in their booster ranks. And there has never been a time like now that a desire to change course has been shared amongst the president, a large contingent of the BOT, and the alumni/boosters.

It has not been a matter of having money, it has been a matter of willingness to spend it.  Mario is not unhappy in Eugene, but in order to stay it should be expected that he will have a significantly better contract. He will be the number one candidate at Miami when the AD is in place, and they are not going to assume he will take a pay cut relative to his value to come home.

They had better be willing to spend it on a stadium on campus. They also better be willing to lower their entrance scores for student athletes. As of now, athletes are held to the same standards as other students. This isn’t the 80’s and 90’s anymore. And don’t bring up 2001. That was solely due to Butch Davis’ loose interpretation of NCAA rules. Just look at his record at UNC.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:07 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They had better be willing to spend it on a stadium on campus. They also better be willing to lower their entrance scores for student athletes. As of now, athletes are held to the same standards as other students. This isn’t the 80’s and 90’s anymore. And don’t bring up 2001. That was solely due to Butch Davis’ loose interpretation of NCAA rules. Just look at his record at UNC.

They won’t, never have (the orange bowl was not on campus) and never will. There isn’t space and Coral Gables wouldn’t allow it if there was. 

It is a small private school, students wouldn’t fill it up on campus because there aren’t many students.

Attendance issues have everything to do with team performance and competition for attention in the city of Miami. It isn’t a college town, you have to earn money and time with the on-field product on a Saturday when your attendance isn’t alumni  driven and you aren’t the only show in town, or the region for that matter.

Interesting MC flew to Miami after the OSU game to see his mother. Just hope it’s not another Taggart move???????

Interesting MC flew to Florida after OSU game to see his mother. Hope it’s not another Willie move????

On 11/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, Haywarduck said:

I wish his mother well. Tough to be coaching while your mother is not well.

With that comment I would check the hospitals, itinerary make sure he isn't headed to Gainesville?

C’mon Haywarduck…….Miami is “home.” 

Eugene is not home, certainly not yet anyway.

That’s just the way it works.