Charles Fischer

Cristobal: The Bounce-Back and Game Thoughts

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question: Your thoughts about the Game?

CRISTOBAL: "Really proud and excited for our guys. It’s an excited locker room because coming into this game we had to earn every single play. We had to earn the victory against a good football team with a lot of good football players after a rough week. We had to regroup quickly and get right to work and start fast and do a good job up front and control the line of scrimmage. We jumped out strong. Credit to them, obviously, they fought and played really well. They made some plays and made it a little tighter in the second half but all in all I’m just proud of our guys for taking control of the game in the most critical moments and earning the opportunity to play a 13th game."

Question: What were your thoughts on the team’s resolve this week?

CRISTOBAL: "Well it was a rough plane ride back last week. We talked about it earlier in the week. When you go through something like that, you have to look in the mirror and you have to dig deep and regroup quickly. Our team leadership did a good job with that. I thought the coaching staff did a great job with that as well. The scheme was good. The adjustments were good. Guys played at a high level.

They made the decision to have 11 guys play as one, played with great effort, executed at a high level and finished knowing that you’re going to have to earn it knowing that these rivalry games are - you’re never out of it. Whether you’re leading or behind you’re never out of it and you see it. You see it all over the country and you saw it on our field today. Really good job by the football team and a lot to build off of, the momentum to build off of that.

We have a couple injuries. I don’t think there is anything too bad, nothing too serious. I think all the guys checked out fairly well in the initial check that I did. But certainly I’ll get any extra information on that to you ASAP."

Question:  What did you learn about your team today?

CRISTOBAL: "Well, we always knew that this means a lot to them, and it always has to mean more to you. It always does. It has to show in the way you play, because just being upset or being angry at a performance - a poor performance - what does that do? Nothing. You have got to take that energy and pour it into betterment, into your teammates, into challenging and confronting and demanding and holding each other accountable.

I mean, that is what football and life is all about. We did that. It was hard, it was a hard deal. And just like we earned this one, we earned our situation last week as an organization. But, we put that behind us, got to work right away, and it paid off - it paid off in a big-time way. I am really proud of these guys and I am looking forward to getting back to work right away. It is a short week with an opportunity next Friday."

Mario Cristobal_Kevin Cline.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guest KingT

AB's best game of the year. Needed it. Also nice to see Hutson and Williams play big roles. Solid game.