Charles Fischer

Coach Cristobal Covers Quarterback, Wide Receiver and Offensive Line Performance

(Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question: What did you think of Anthony’s performance today and this week?

CRISTOBAL: "Well, I mean, I think it speaks for itself. He ran the ball 14 times for 83 yards and a touchdown, 23-for-28 throwing with 275 yards, 2 touchdowns. Showed tremendous command, tremendous leadership, resolve, resiliency. He had a strong week of practice. The game-plan was pretty extensive because [Oregon State] is pretty complicated on defense with what they do with their stunts, their blitzes, their stems - which we were told when they stem like that they were going to call a penalty, they didn’t - but anyway with all the stuff they do we made sure we gave Anthony our very best. We were 10-for-13 on third downs if I’m not mistaken. Just a great performance by a great team leader."

Question:  How would you assess the play of Devon Williams and Kris Hutson, especially with the loss of other receivers this season?

CRISTOBAL: "Yeah, they stepped up big time. They were targeted 16 times today, and I think 13 times they came up with it. Devon with a monster play early in the game. On a play that was a little improvised there with Anthony [Brown] getting out of the pocket, finding him, then launching it down the field. Some big plays by Kris, on critical third downs, particularly that last one that put us up by three scores.

I think it was a third and eight or something of that nature, and still getting better and still having room for improvement, but they are just hungry. Coach [Bryan McClendon] has done a great job with those guys, they get after it. They are diligent, they are hungry, they are driven and they see so much room for improvement. The fact that this offense can keep getting better and better it was a really good performance today by those guys, and a lot to build off of."

Q. What allowed you to get in rhythm on the offensive line this week?

CRISTOBAL: "Well, it starts with getting your feet in the ground and fitting and moving your feet, and playing with a flat back. We did a much better job this week than we did last week. I have got to give credit to the outfit that we played last week. They were really good, really good up front. The guys this week, too. I believe that the last two games Oregon State had held their opponents to 10 points and 14 points. Arizona State has had a great rushing attack, and they really shut theirs down. So, it really was a challenge.

When you face a team that moves from four down to the off-front, that brings all of that stuff - it is like Star Wars, man it comes from everywhere - and you have got to make sure that your identifications are good, your tracks are good and then you have got to react. You have got to react, you have got to move your feet and fit it the right way so. Credit to the guys up front on the offense. Credit to the front seven on defense as well.

They did a nice job at forcing some very short drives by them and allowing us to get up 24-3, because that changed what they had to do. They had to play out of character to a certain extent - and they were good at it. They threw the ball all over the yard today. So, certainly, that combination led to us getting in a position where we could control the game."

Anthony Brown_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck