Charles Fischer

Cristobal Discusses the Game-Plan, Explosion Plays and Offensive Efficiency

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question: What was the game-plan to limit Oregon State on the ground and how were you able to execute?

CRISTOBAL: "Well, you had to stop the run, I mean they had been running through people relentlessly. They coach and execute the wide zone better than anybody in the country, in my opinion, they really do. And when they get it rolling, they’re hard to stop, their play action passes, boots and wags, your shots off of that, you know, they do the old Peyton Manning roll pass and whatnot, and throw scissors, and throw thumb, and all those things are difficult to stop because you overplay the run and you’re off by half the step.

You know, their two tight ends, both Teagan (Quitoriano) and Luke (Musgrave), those guys can roll. And they get behind you, you compliment them with some really fast and explosive wide receivers, they can— if you’re on your heels, it’s a problem. So we had to do a really good job on offense, control the ball, putting together sustained drives. And then, playing well at the line of scrimmage. You know, third down was a problem last week.

Primarily because first and second down were a problem, and that’s always the case, right? Third and manageable, third and short, numbers are always higher for the opponent, as we look at it from a defensive standpoint. Those are some things to take into account. But, you guys saw, you guys know your stuff, so that was a big part of it."

Question: How were you able to create explosive plays on the ground against a strong defense?

CRISTOBAL: "We finished better, we called a really good game. We created angles, created leverage, and created seams about running our feet through contact. Because sometimes when it’s muddy like that and there’s big piles, just keep moving your feet sometimes those guys open up a little bit wider and it's harder to fit for a linebacker that is scraping. You have a box and fits rules on defense depending on what type of coverage you're playing behind it and when you move your feet as an offensive line to fit it, you move guys, it makes a harder fit. And that's where those creases opened up and gave us a chance."

Question: On being efficient and productive offensively...

CRISTOBAL: "I think they're a really good operation and they've, especially the last two weeks, played really, really well and we needed to play well on offense. We had put together prior to last week, in the previous four weeks, we put together some good football. So we need to bounce back and put that together and I think we did. And I think our guys in there - talking to them - they realize we need to get back to work right away. And we’re on in. The coaches, they're finished grading in about half an hour or so."

Dye Time_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles……

• Thanks 1