30Duck

Sometimes the Officiating Helps Oregon

Not often enough!

But luck can come quickly!
giphy.gif

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Was the beav defenseless? That's one factor.

• Thumbs Up 1

It appeared to me that McKinley had eyes on the ball and expected an interception until he noticed the receiver coming, then he went into a defensive posture resulting in a bad collision.  

The receiver played the ball the entire time, as trained.  Neither player avoided the collision.  

The refs made the right call if they saw two players collide while attempting a catch.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can the Pac 12 still review it? I think in the past, the league office has reversed some targeting calls allowing the offending player to play the next week.

Looked like targeting to me.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:49 AM, 30Duck said:

I feel he and that second OSU player should be tossed for the whole next game. (Ripping the helmet off and the swipe in the back of the head).  Both were egregious acts of anger and should not be tolerated. This was not targeting nor an emotional tackle, which is during the act of game play. This was a bar room brawl with intent to do harm after a play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Do we really care if Beaver players are punished after the game?

I wish them well.

Completely disagree with statement “if in doubt it’s a foul”. Watch the SEC…50/50 calls almost always (90% of the time) go to the higher ranked team. There is so much money on the line. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 10:49 AM, Duck1984 said:

It appeared to me that McKinley had eyes on the ball and expected an interception until he noticed the receiver coming, then he went into a defensive posture resulting in a bad collision.  

The receiver played the ball the entire time, as trained.  Neither player avoided the collision.  

The refs made the right call if they saw two players collide while attempting a catch.

The refs did make the right call. They called targeting because McKinley had every chance to not lead with his head but he did. That play is always ruled targeting and there was no hesitation, they threw the flag even Mario pointed Mckinley to the replay screen when he cried that he didnt mean to.

The reasons for overturning the call were never explained, which is convenient. Its nice to see at least some duck fans admitting the obvious: it was targetting.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, Blowcheese said:

Its nice to see at least some duck fans admitting the obvious: it was targetting.

We call it as we see it here, either way, respectfully.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't believe the targeting foul is anything but smelly. I think intentionally launching should be the only factor.

On 11/28/2021 at 5:08 PM, Blowcheese said:

The refs did make the right call. They called targeting because McKinley had every chance to not lead with his head but he did. That play is always ruled targeting and there was no hesitation, they threw the flag even Mario pointed Mckinley to the replay screen when he cried that he didnt mean to.

The reasons for overturning the call were never explained, which is convenient. Its nice to see at least some duck fans admitting the obvious: it was targetting.

Not even close. That’s why the refs came back so quick with their decision. He hit the receiver in the shoulder. He didn’t use the crown of his helmet nor did he make forcible contact to the head or neck of a defenseless player. Watch the replay again.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Like 1

That didn't look like targeting to me. I understand trying to limit helmet to helmet contact, but it will never be eliminated entirely (unless you eliminate helmets)

Looked to me like his facemask mostly hit shoulder pad. I sure didn't see him launch head first into the receiver.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:00 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Not even close. That’s why the refs came back so quick with their decision. He hit the receiver in the shoulder. He didn’t use the crown of his helmet nor did he make forcible contact to the head or neck of a defenseless player. Watch the replay again.

The shoulder was hit first if you watch in slow mo.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, Blowcheese said:

It was targeting.

You are incorrect about it always being called. I don't have a specific example, so that's weak sauce, but the calls on the field, after a review, and remotely by the Pac12 are horribly inconsistent. 

What is not in dispute is a haymaker thrown at a defenseless player from behind during a dead ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:33 PM, nw777b said:

he calls on the field, after a review, and remotely by the Pac12 are horribly inconsistent. 

I feel like the Targeting Rule is ill conceived from the start. The intent is player safety, and that's fine. But the penalty is too severe when it comes down to a judgment call. Intent should be the rule, and should not be open to interpretation on a legitimate infraction.

Or hurts us like at Stanford!

On 11/28/2021 at 6:11 PM, SpecialK said:

Or hurts us like at Stanford!

SpecialK...great to see you post as a new member.  Share your thoughts often and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

Never thought it was targeting.  Didn't launch, not crown of helmet.  Just watched it again.  View from end zone camera showed it to be facemask to shoulder pad.

I have no idea what Targeting, holding, pass interference, roughing the QB are any more. All of these are not called consistently. Drives me nuts.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2021 at 6:42 PM, DuckHeart said:

Never thought it was targeting.  Didn't launch, not crown of helmet.  Just watched it again.  View from end zone camera showed it to be facemask to shoulder pad.

FFQsOBiVkAEddJK?format=png&name=900x900

facemask to shoulder pad?  huh? 

Receiver had time to brace for impact after not catching the ball. He was defenseless.

Vernon had time to change posture and lower head after the ball whizzed by, as well. Contact was made above the shoulders.  It doesn't even have to be the helmet, but it was.

Both players heads were forcibly bounced to the point their bodies were thrown apart from each other.

Vernon's feet were leaving the turf prior to impact. Looks like launching to me.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, Blowcheese said:

FFQsOBiVkAEddJK?format=png&name=900x900

facemask to shoulder pad?  huh? 

Yup. And his eyes were up, so no crown of the helmet. On your screen shot he was still a foot or so away from the WR.

3183629F-4FF3-4BEE-A164-67E4B050365A.png

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1