Charles Fischer

Is THIS Where We Should Be?

OK....even with all the good feelings today--ask yourself honesty....are Oregon's numbers below what you want?  

Mr. FishDuck

Interesting how close OSU and OR yet the Ducks manhandled them yesterday. Seems that points per game is not a direct barometer to

success. OR has the best overall W/L record in the P12. 

Well...I think Oregon should be averaging at least 40 points per game, and should not be giving up more than 20 points per game, IMHO.

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/28/2021 at 10:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Well...I think Oregon should be averaging at least 40 points per game, and should not be giving up more than 20 points per game, IMHO.

This would be a good formula for a championship caliber team.  

Not sure we are there yet, but hope we get there next year!

Charles, if you are nothing else you are definitely consistent. You presented the same opinion before the season and continued it after the season. This makes you a good man. I wish the professional pundits would do the same.

A few thoughts to consider:

1) A one point victory is all you need no matter who you play. Probably requires a top 10 defense. 
2) Mario is so focused on out muscling opponents he will never care about 40 points. 
3) The final touch has not been added to Mario’s rebuild. A QB who can consistently make the right reads and take what the offense makes available.

4) Injuries and player departures are a bigger issue than we think. 

I am a proponent of 3. I also would like the Ducks to hire a dedicated QB coach. 

The way I look at Mario is he is progressing through Saban’s approach and the explosiveness in offense is the final piece of the puzzle. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Oregon should be averaging at least 40 points per game

Agreed.  However, in the future I am fine with a yesterday's type performance and a QB that can duplicate the way AB played, which should be quite doable.  If not, big trouble.

This year, only Georgia and Coastal Carolina are averaging 40.0 and giving up 20.0

Scoring Offense  Scoring Defense

On 11/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, Steven A said:

Agreed.  However, in the future I am fine with a yesterday's type performance and a QB that can duplicate the way AB played, which should be quite doable.  If not, big trouble.

And I agree with you my FD Friend....with the talent we have emerging on offense--if we could have a QB perform like Brown on Saturday--we could seriously challenge for the Playoff.

But the defense sure gave it up in the second half...we will grow there too I hope.

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Interesting how close OSU and OR yet the Ducks manhandled them yesterday. Seems that points per game is not a direct barometer to

success. OR has the best overall W/L record in the P12. 

CFB stats should always be qualified by the level of the opposition played. On the defensive side of the ball,  the Ducks played in Columbus; ASU played at Baylor.

But great topic Charles. My answer is 'No', not in the least satisfied when it comes to the numbers on O but the numbers are the product of the system run on O. 

It's quite possible that barring the injuries the Ducks had that they could've come close to those wishes of 40-O, 20-D.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 11:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

But the defense sure gave it up in the second half...we will grow there too I hope.

Of course, part of that is not needing the same D as the first half, OSU surprising with a lot more run than expected, and playing prevent.

Why were our "hands team" playing back 15 yds when an onsides was/should have been expected.  Cheap lesson to learn from.  And hopefully, we will see more onsides by the other teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, especially since our ppg has been regressing since Mr. Cristobal took over.

I would like to see more points, more preparedness, and a focus away from toughness. 

The Ducks players and coaches have amazing potential for the future, I’m talking cfb champions, but not with ppg and ppg allowed trends that are occurring now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 12:08 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

It's quite possible that barring the injuries the Ducks had that they could've come close to those wishes of 40-O, 20-D.

I agree. I know all teams have injuries but we are down 9 starters from start of season