latracey

Lincoln Riley to USC ??!!

Dependable rumor has it that Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley is going to be the next coach at USC. Now THAT would be a hire that hits it out of the park. To all of those people who wanted USC to get back to being great, be careful what you wish for. If this is true, then the recruiting in LA just got A LOT tougher.

• Like 1

I think it’s great news! And it’s being reported as a done deal by the folks over at FootballScoop, who are very reliable. I think it’s awesome for the conference as a whole. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It's gone from rumor to fact... just like that. And just yesterday at his post game interview, Riley made it clear that he was NOT going to be LSU's next coach. The implication was clearly that he was staying at Oklahoma. Not so fast...

Lest we forget, college football is a business, and every coach has his price.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, latracey said:

It's gone from rumor to fact... just like that. And just yesterday at his post game interview, Riley made it clear that he was NOT going to be LSU's next coach. The implication was clearly that he was staying at Oklahoma. Not so fast...

Lest we forget, college football is a business, and every coach has his price.

Well he didn’t lie anyway lol 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

A CFP for Oregon just got tougher.

• Thumbs Up 2

We're really going to have to ramp up our scoring now... to win and to actually be able to recruit west coast qb's and wr's.  Should bring more national interest to the Pac-12 though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:02 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

It definitely did, but a strong, nationally respected Pac 12 is a good thing for all of its teams. A CFP for Oregon, even if they had managed to beat Utah, wasn't a shoe in because of the impression by national pundits that the Pac 12 is a weak conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

USC has gotten serious it seems.  Game on!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, I’m sure some Ducks fans are going to say this makes it tougher to get into the playoff now, but I actually think it helps. I don’t fear Lincoln Riley going to USC, I embrace it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/28/2021 at 1:16 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I don’t fear Lincoln Riley going to USC, I embrace it. 

This is what the Conference needed, and it helps both divisions, it should be USC @ Oregon next season, and it won't be on, "Pac-12 After Dark"

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Now we need a great his for the Fuskies.

I know people will hate me for saying it, but we need at least three power teams. If Herm and Chip won't develop them, brand name will suffice.

This now opens Oklahoma up. Their first season in the SEC, come in after Riley, what coach wants that?

On 11/28/2021 at 1:34 PM, 30Duck said:

This now opens Oklahoma up. Their first season in the SEC, come in after Riley, what coach wants that?

Oklahoma is going to regret joining the SEC

• Thumbs Up 1

I bet he flips some good recruits that were planning to sign elsewhere during the early signing period, pulls in a few transfers and wins the south next year.  Especially if Whittingham retires.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 4:34 PM, 30Duck said:

Kentucky had better lock Mark Stoops down.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:50 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Mark Stoops down.

Gets it back in the Stoops family, would definitely ease the transition.

So I guess Riley saw hand writing on the wall with OU going to SEC.

Can you imagine the pressure  that will be on Sark after this year AND going to the SEC in the near(?) future?

Gut feeling that Mycah Pittman might have just been delaying his decision for a home-run hire like this.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him now surface as a Trojan commit...

• Thumbs Up 4

Sounds like Billy Napier is going to The Gators.

So we have Miami and LSU and the only potential landing spots for MC.

If he stays through this hiring cycle, he will be here long term.

🤞 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, Steven A said:

Can you imagine the pressure  that will be on Sark after this year

It was losing to Kansas historically bad for Sark this year, and Texas kept him. It's Bizarre times in Texas Football.

Kiffin II. Can't wait to kick his donkey.

• Haha 1

Whether the Riley hire makes you nervous or not,  it’s a great move and will be a big factor in west coast recruiting, but not the only factor.  Location and vision play a big part as well in the eyes of recruits.

The disadvantages of being in the LA basin as compared to more inviting and livable environs like Eugene, plus our new indoor training complex that will specifically target warming trends that affect air quality are equally important, especially to parents. 

We’ve got our advantages too, and MC knows that.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is definitely good news for Oregon. What's the point of dominating the Pac-12 every year when you're dominating PATZIES?! NONE.

Oregon has the recruits, next to come is elevating the coaching, and finally . . . the CREDS.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:58 PM, jonnydanger11 said:

Gut feeling that Mycah Pittman might have just been delaying his decision for a home-run hire like this.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him now surface as a Trojan commit...

Probably will end up at USC... I was thinking he would end up there no matter who they hired. They got his older brother into the NFL and that's all that Mycah wants. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 2:37 PM, David Marsh said:

that's all that Mycah wants. 

And a million followers on Tik Tok?

• Haha 2

Any chance this means USC is planning to leave the Pac12 for SEC?

Why would Riley leave OU now? He had to be in agreement or why would the school leave the Big12.

Riley likes being the top guy in his conference. He would be middle-of-the-road if he went with OU into the SEC.

Geat news for the Pac12. Not such great news for the Ducks. If Riley can bring his freshman quarterback with him, he's set. That kid can play. 

On 11/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Whether the Riley hire makes you nervous or not,  it’s a great move and will be a big factor in west coast recruiting, but not the only factor.  Location and vision play a big part as well in the eyes of recruits.

The disadvantages of being in the LA basin as compared to more inviting and livable environs like Eugene, plus our new indoor training complex that will specifically target warming trends that affect air quality are equally important, especially to parents. 

We’ve got our advantages too, and MC knows that.

Inviting and livable is subjective. Not everyone prefers a small college city feel.

Edited by WCCIDT

It will take LR at least 2 years to make USC good.

On 11/28/2021 at 3:27 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

It will take LR at least 2 years to make USC good.

They might get to "Good" faster than that. But Helton had talent, just never seemed to connect with the team or the fans, and SC fans are frontrunners. Helton wasn't a Name when USC hired him, Riley is a star. Snoop Dogg will be at practices again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am shocked! Never believed this hire could or would happen?

SC over the SEC? At last the conference gets it right. How long has it been since the conference hired a successful, currently employed coach from the P5?

An off the charts hire for the Pac-12. How many guys will follow him from OK? And talk about a QB whisperer with Dart at QB?

This may not be good news for Oregon but it is great news for the Pac-12.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

Not convinced Riley did much at OU with all his talent. He's kind of a hype hire. He saw the SEC coming and said no thanks. He's in year 5, so as usual with coaches, you might be lucky to keep them 5 years before they write a big check for themselves and start the cycle over. I thought Riley underwhelmed with the deep talent pool they've had since Stoops. 

On 11/28/2021 at 1:02 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

...or easier. The tougher the PAC 12, the easier for a one loss team to get in.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:21 PM, KingT said:

Not convinced Riley did much at OU with all his talent. He's kind of a hype hire. He saw the SEC coming and said no thanks. He's in year 5, so as usual with coaches, you might be lucky to keep them 5 years before they write a big check for themselves and start the cycle over. I thought Riley underwhelmed with the deep talent pool they've had since Stoops. 

In the PO every year since he has been a HC? What more do you want?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:30 PM, Mike West said:

Now we need a great his for the Fuskies.

I know people will hate me for saying it, but we need at least three power teams. If Herm and Chip won't develop them, brand name will suffice.

Nah... UW doesn't have to be relevant with a great coach. Jonathan Smith and the Beavers can take UW's place in the hierarchy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, DanLduck said:

Why would Riley leave OU now? He had to be in agreement or why would the school leave the Big12.

Oklahoma has been a big fish in a rather small pond... Oklahoma has been the Clemson of the big-12. 

Going to the sec would make his job a lot harder for the same expectations. Going to USC means he just has to contend with a rising Oregon which isn't as intimidating as Bama, TAMU, or Georgia... Or whoever takes over at LSU.

• Thumbs Up 2

On Saturday night, Lincoln Riley confirmed his commitment to working towards making the Oklahoma football program “Better!”

“All of us are trying to make this place better, make this program better, and so you don't do that without working together and conversing with each other.

So of course we're gonna continue to do that. We work well together, and we're going to keep working well together."

On Sunday, Lincoln Riley provided his solution to how he intends to “Work together” to make Oklahoma “Better!”.....

bye.gif.3adceb75d54610a65083d390b3c9af38.gif

• Haha 2

On 11/28/2021 at 4:46 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

On Saturday night, Lincoln Riley confirmed his commitment to working towards making the Oklahoma football program “Better!”

“All of us are trying to make this place better, make this program better, and so you don't do that without working together and conversing with each other.

So of course we're gonna continue to do that. We work well together, and we're going to keep working well together."

On Sunday, Lincoln Riley provided his solution to how he intends to “Work together” to make Oklahoma “Better!”.....

He should have pulled a reverse USC leaving Lane on the tarmac move and on the ride back to Norman asked them to drop him off at the airport.

He will flip some recruits, we will see.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:26 PM, Jon Joseph said:

In the PO every year since he has been a HC? What more do you want?

maybe a Championship?

MC needs a QB guru now, and better grow as a coach, quick.  My couch saw that onside kick coming yesterday, that's poor coaching.  We can't close teams out, all year.  I hope we beat Utah of course, but recruiting CA just got harder, and what WR wants to go to Oregon?  It's good for the Pac, just hope the playoff goes thru the north not the south.  That is, if we can not LOSE 1 or 2 gimme games a year.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:52 PM, 30Duck said:

Does USC even understand what the Trojan horse was? I mean honestly... The Trojan horse is something you DON'T want... Is this implying that Riley will destroy the USC program by brining it completely to the ground? 

In my Latin class at UO we did discuss how USC's classics department wasn't brought in to consult with their athletics. So I suppose the trend will continue. 

On 11/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, JDuck said:

My couch saw that onside kick coming yesterday,

It looked Oregon was pretty ready for it but that ball bounced PERFECTLY. An Oregon player should have been more aggressive jumping towards the ball but most onsides kicks don't have a bounce quite that beautiful. 

However, I will agree the coaching should have had the whole team ready to more aggressively attack the football. 

On 11/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, Just Ducky said:

He will flip some recruits, we will see.

A lot of his own recruits for starters... Then it will be a real battle with Oregon and MC after he fights his current program. 

Napier officially at UF.

Riley to SC is big. First time in many a moon that the Pac-12 has hired a successful, on the job, P5 Coach.

Hats off to Bohn and the SC administration. At least 1 team besides Oregon is willing to spend the money needed to be a big time competitor.

• Thumbs Up 1