geoquack

Departing Coaches, Transfer Portal and Immediate Eligibility

"Houston, we have a problem." 

With Riley leaving OK for USC, what's to keep him from poaching OK's top players and taking them to SC where they would be immediately eligible?  Perhaps players following their coach should have to sit out a year and lose that year of eligibility.

I don't see any reason to punish a player that likes his coach, if the coach can go the player should be able to as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/28/2021 at 7:32 PM, geoquack said:

With Riley leaving OK for USC, what's to keep him from poaching OK's top players and taking them to SC where they would be immediately eligible? 

Nothing of his players want to join him. 

I don't think many would follow him as established players. However, I think he will probably pull more of his recruits over to USC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It is what it is. The relationship between players and coaches is one of the reasons these boys turn into men. Isn't that the point of sports?

He has already 'poached' OK commits and undoubtedly a # of OK players will portal to SC. 

He needs guys on both LOS.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:39 PM, deschutesduck said:

I don't see any reason to punish a player that likes his coach, if the coach can go the player should be able to as well.

I'm not saying he can't go.  He just has to sit out a year.  Like the good old days.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:06 AM, geoquack said:

I'm not saying he can't go.  He just has to sit out a year.  Like the good old days.

I know a lot of people feel that way but telling a kid he can't play for a year just feels like punishment to me, it's basically a 1 year suspension. 

I picture a kid lured to Norman by Riley on the promise of being developed into an NFL quality player and play for national championships.  The kid likes USC better but hey... Clay Helton... OU is okay and will be fine for a few years of school.  Well now Riley is at USC...

Look at how the kids and their parents and everyone raves about Cristbol making the team feel like a family.  Sure he's selling the kids on Oregon but also on himself and the program he's running, I think it should be made easier not harder for a kid to follow his head coach if that coach leaves.  

• Thumbs Up 2