GODUCKS15

OC Replacement Candidates for Coach Moorhead?

Who would be on your list if in fact JM does leave?

Tedford?

Tedford was a QB guru, which is what Lincoln Riley is...but not sure how much the game has changed?  Riley has a history of taking either transfers or true freshmen and turning them in to Heismann winners, or contenders

Tedford is not healthy enough to take any job.

I’d accept Kellen Moore.  😁

Edited by Otis Day
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mark Helfrich.  He has a subservient personality which would mesh with Cristobal, and he was the best OC ever at Oregon, including better than Chip.  (More balance)

But the bad blood between he and Mullens makes that impossible.  (And yes, everyone--I know he was not a leader, but neither is Joe Moorhead)

Helfrich beating Washington_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Mark Helfrich.  He has a subservient personality which would mesh with Cristobal, and he was the best OC ever at Oregon, including better than Chip.  (More balance)

But the bad blood between he and Mullens makes that impossible.  (And yes, everyone--I know he was not a leader, but neither is Joe Moorhead)

Helfrich beating Washington_Craig Strobeck.jpg

No

He has been banished 

Not living in the past

Somebody that will mesh with our young OB's

On 11/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Mark Helfrich.

I'd take Helfrich in a heartbeat. He was Marcus Mariota's QB coach for 2011 (redshirt year) and 2012 (first year starting). Even though Frost took over QB coaching duties, I always got a sense he had a very strong relationship with his quarterbacks. Also... Helfrich was Darron Thomas' QB coach and he did well at Oregon. 

Helfrich has a fantastic offensive mind and can certainly be trained to be a better recruiter though at the same time he knows what he wants in a quarterback. Again... Mariota and Herbert are two of his big hits. Yes, there were some misses.. though some of that can be blamed on Frost as well and Helfrich's failure to step in as the head coach is certainly a mark against him... but he wouldn't be the head coach only the OC.

Though as stated is there too much bad blood with Mullens and the firing? Maybe... but who knows. One thing is for certain ... the Helfrich offense is still a GOOD offense. The offense was never a problem under Helfrich.. the defense absolutely yes and the recruiting was up and down but there were a few too many misses in recruiting (most of his classes were ranked in the teens if I recall).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Coach Boles is working on an article that will be published tomorrow morning about some great candidates to replace Moorhead--should he actually leave.  Stay tuned!

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/29/2021 at 11:42 AM, David Marsh said:

Though as stated is there too much bad blood with Mullens and the firing? Maybe... but who knows.

There might be, but some time has gone by and should Mullens offer Helfrich the job, he might take it, and I'm in the group that would be thrilled. MH failed miserably as the head coach, but he was just as good as the OC,

• Thumbs Up 2

I’m not sold that it will really matter.  What brilliant offensive mind wants to come to Oregon where you will call “run it up the middle” 90% of the time in game and focus primarily on recruiting out of the game.  Instead of looking for a great in-game caller, he should look to a great salesperson.

OPEN JOBS -

OKLAHOMA/ LSU/ UW/ LA TECH/  TEMPLE/ AKRON/ TCU

Miami OC Lashlee has taken the SMU job. Not certain what, if anything, this tells us about Manny Diaz?  Sonny Dykes was a lock at TCU but with the Oklahoma job now open?

Bob Stoops is the interim HC at OK. Will he encourage AD, Castilogne, to bring his younger brother Mark to OK from Kentucky?

Dave Aranda has yet to sign the extension at Baylor. Word is that Coach Pete really wants Aranda at UW? 

On 11/29/2021 at 12:15 PM, Pocketchange said:

where you will call “run it up the middle” 90% of the time

Please see today's analysis article about how that has become quite successful now.  And the play selection of perimeter attacks and passing versus Oregon State was superb.  The fans were happy watching THAT offense...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, Otis Day said:

I’d accept Kellen Moore.  😁

Not gonna happen. He’ll be a HC in the NFL next year.

I missed the first drive in the live TV cast, Saturday, but watched it last night on PAC 12 sixty minute replay.    I was surprised by how many plays were "up the middle" runs in the nine-play, 75 yard drive.

1.  Brown run for 12 yds.

2.  Pass for 5 yds.

3.  Pass for 13 yds.

4.  Dye run for 9 yds.

5.  Dye run for 6 yds.

6.  Pass, incomplete.

7.  Brown run for 7 yds.

8.  Dye run for 3 yds.

9.  Dye run for 19 yard TD!

All the runs were between the tackles, but the O linemen have so much lateral movement, sometimes it's hard to tell just where they created the hole after the back hits it.

Some may not enjoy that kind of play calling.  For one, I found it very pleasing.  I suspect Jonathan Smith did not.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

All the runs were between the tackles

The first touchdown was also between the tackles, but with a new twist in blocking--an analysis in the making in the off-season!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am partial to Helfrich.

I've stated before the way he was treated toward the end of his last season was Bush league.

As far as I know he was the only coach to play in Herbert's invitational in Eugene. I could be wrong. But him being there says a lot about his relationship with Justin.

He has short comings, but he served Oregon very well.

He tried to be Kelly 2.0 and got kicked in the walnuts. 

Enjoy your millions and your family, Mark! 

Edited by nw777b
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, nw777b said:

I've stated before the way he was treated toward the end of his last season was Bush league.

Completely agree.....and he is below with Marcus before the Pac-12 Championship in 2014.

Mariota and Helfrich before Pac-12 Championships_Kevin Cline.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Doubt any coach would go from OC to HC and was fired, would come back to be the OC again.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:41 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Doubt any coach would go from OC to HC and was fired, would come back to be the OC again.

Depends on how bad the blood is between the AD and the former coach. 

Helf has a very personal connection to Oregon and he hasn't pursued another head coaching job since he left Oregon. If the situation was right, I could see him coming back. I don't think he really wants to be a HC at this point, there have been plenty of job openings that he would have been hired for, again he has a WINNING record from his time at Oregon by a significant margin, but he hasn't taken another head coaching job. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, nw777b said:

I couldn't agree more!

• Thumbs Up 1

Strangely enough, Mark Helfrich was fired exactly 5 years ago today. 

• Haha 1

Take it to the bank.....if MC insists on this 1960's brand of football - sorry Charles, it's boring, unimaginative and the kids at the 7 on 7 camps ain't gonna sit on the bench at Oregon yawning while Lincoln's throwing the ball all over the field - he's gonna be a distant second in recruiting. In fact I'll say it right up front: if MC doesn't bring in an OC who runs a 21st century offense that's pass oriented MC will be gone in a couple of years (he may be gone by choice in the next week).....I like MC and want him to succeed but kids want to play a certain style of ball and they'll go where that style is played.....we'll see.

Count me as another who would be real happy to see Helfrich come back as the OC. Especially if he was allowed to run his scheme i.e. call his plays unabated. 

Not going to happen though I don't think. Hopefully Mark is chilling in Coos Bay or something and spending winters somewhere warm. 

I am however starting to wonder about Cristobal and his ability to get along with his high profile coordinators eg. Leavitt and Moorhead. Perhaps it would be better to bring in a younger and more eager to please guy?

I think MC will go with Mastro😒