Charles Fischer

How USC has Changed EVERYTHING for Their Fans and the Conference

It is not surprising, and I suppose most teams would be exuding over-the-top stuff like this.  Keep your Barf-Bag handy when reading this, because unfortunately much of what is written is right.  Those assistant coaches are killer...whew!

10 Ways Lincoln Riley Changes Everything for USC and the Pac-12 by Matt Zemek of Trojan Wire

USATSI_17058823.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

Always enjoy Matt's work. A statement hire by SC that shows that the administration is serious about being a true P5 contender and has opened the wallet to prove it. Will QB Caleb Williams follow Riley to SC?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 12:26 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Will QB Caleb Williams follow Riley to SC?

I would bet on it, and might that send Dart to the Portal? That was good writing by Zemeck, objective look at what USC is now, and an acknowledgement that Riley's hire was mandatory if USC wants to stop Oregon's dominance of the conference since the Carrol years. 

On 11/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, 30Duck said:

I would bet on it, and might that send Dart to the Portal? That was good writing by Zemeck, objective look at what USC is now, and an acknowledgement that Riley's hire was mandatory if USC wants to stop Oregon's dominance of the conference since the Carrol years. 

I agree. Williams comes to SC and Dart is in the portal. Williams would immediately be the best QB in the conference. A threat as a passer and a runner.

Ducks miss USC for 2022 so maybe a match in the P12 Conf game? USC at Ore in 2023. Tough road ahead for the Ducks. Tough enough

without a Riley coached USC on the agenda. If JM does leave the OC hire to replace him needs to be top notch.

USC's roster is a bit of a mess... it will take some time to straighten out. 

Also... the article seemed crown USC as "back" and the best team in the Pac-12. Riley was given a well opporating Oklahoma team (much in the way Chip was given a high flying Oregon team before he took over) and was able to run with it. USC is NOT a Championship ready team. They have some good pieces, sure, but they will take some time to rebuild. If they were truly Championship ready then Helton would still be the head coach. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, David Marsh said:

Also... the article seemed crown USC as "back" and the best team in the Pac-12.

It is a USC site, so not completely unexpected. I agree that USC has work to do, but replacing Helton with Riley is huge. Throughout his time at USC, Helton seemed to be an Interim coach. The players certainly wouldn't run through a wall for him, and recruiting suffered,

Riley creates excitement, recruiting will pick up and USC will be contending soon.

Replacing Helton with Riley was unexpected by me, that is for sure, kudos to Bohn. I did some Bohn bashing, and it looks like he may have made two good hires in a row.

The problem is Helton had built a leaky barge. Riley has some work to do to make this barge move like the sc fans will want it to. Riley may want to make the barge move nimbly, but you have to remake the whole structure to do that.

This is also the best thing that could happen to Oregon and the Pac-12. Having a competitive sc gives Oregon legitimacy when they crush the trojans. 

Lastly George's job just got a lot easier. If he can keep all the pieces together and put together some revenue for the schools then the Pac-12 might just be back. 

I fear that we are REALLY going to get out-coached by their OC and DC.  The last time Washington State beat Oregon was when Alex Grinch was the Cougar DC....

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I fear that we are REALLY going to get out-coached by their OC and DC.  The last time Washington State beat Oregon was when Alex Grinch was the Cougar DC....

I was thinking the same thing about Alex Grinch ruffling Duck feathers while a Coug coach.

Imagine what he can do with better talent?

On 11/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Lets see what this Oregon team can do next year with some experience and not having what feels like the entire team injured. I believe Oregon never started the same group of starters twice all season... that is bonkers insane for a team to be 10-2 with that much turnover. I am excited about this team next year with the youth being experienced and a reduction in injuries. 

Yes... we will be losing some key players as well but so does everyone in College Football... replacing KT is going to be tough but that's just the way it is.