David Marsh

Will Riley Change Oregon's Recruiting? Maybe...

Ok, so here are my thoughts. So far I have seen it written multiple places that with Riley USC's recruiting is going to improve, which it will, but for some reason it always seems to come at the expense of Oregon. Will Cristobal really be out recruited by Lincoln Riley? Well... probably not. 

Now if Riley was coming from a lowly P5 or G5 school then maybe I would buy this argument more but Riley is coming from OKLAHOMA. Oklahoma is already a power house program and a top recruiter in the country. Cristobal is already going head-to-head with Riley when he was at Oklahoma and winning his fair share of those recruits. Also, the 2021 recruiting cycle USC with Helton and Donte Williams did a pretty good job with their own top 10 class. Oregon still did better. 

Will recruiting change in the Pac-12 with Riley? Absolutely it will and what is probably going to happen first is that there will be fewer recruits going east and staying on the west coast. Oregon is still going to have to work the whole country and beating USC in recruiting, even when they have been bad, has never been easy and may be a little harder. But Cristobal has shown he will not be outworked on the recruiting trail. 

I expect to see things get heated but I don't expect to see Oregon simply eliminated because USC gets a better HC. Also... does Oklahoma maintain their recruiting ranking or do they fall because their new HC can't keep up with the standard Riley set? 

• Thumbs Up 2

USC needed a Riley size coach this time, Helton had eroded the program to a level that couldn't survive unless it got a big name to lead it, and USC is well aware of Oregon's presence. Columnists and former players called USC out for "Letting" Oregon take recruits from their backyard.

Rily is a coach that will have the SoCal kids enthusiastic about USC again after Helton, but Oregon isn't just going to stop recruiting there. or anywhere else because Riley is at USC now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really think Oregon will have enough talent to beat them...but it will come down to coaching, and USC now has a dream team of coordinators.  Yikes!

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Aaaarrrggghhh!

I just want to hide....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

If I was Cristobal I would be reaching out to every sc recruit and Oklahoma recruit, again.

I think the Oregon Football Program looks very good looking backward and forward as compared to sc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this gives Cristobal more motivation to push his recruiting into SoCal even harder. But here's something to think about. He is already more successful than any other coach from Oregon at recruiting east of the Mississippi. He knows this

What is also east of the Mississippi? An open LSU job and most likely Miami job; and now Oklahoma (not east of the river but east of here).

Pulling SEC level talent out of the SEC is an incredibly difficult task even on the east coast. Cristobal knows this. Would it be enough to make him start practicing "Geaux Tigahhs" in the mirror?

I think the magic of Cristobal's recruiting is finding every student athlete who dreams of being a Duck. You have to cast a large net to get all the elite talent willing to leave home, and come to Eugene.

You bring up a great point with all the open jobs, and programs in disarray, Oregon looks even better. 

One of the problems was, as To'oto'o said, the Pac-12 wasn't competitive enough for him to stay out west. We need to solve this problem while keeping kids on the west coast, and keep pulling them from the rest of the country.

I truly think sc getting a coach who might even have a competitive program will only help the Ducks in the end. I suppose it helps the Pac-12 even more, but it helps the Ducks too.

The other piece is keeping together a competitive coaching team. Players play better after a few years in a program, and coaches coach better after a few years in a program. We need to keep continuity as much as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

and USC now has a dream team of coordinators.  Yikes!

5w0dh3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

It's very likely already having an impact on some of the kids who are considering Oregon. How could it not be? It's a big deal. The Pac 12 landscape has changed. 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, OregonRich said:

It's very likely already having an impact on some of the kids who are considering Oregon. How could it not be? It's a big deal. The Pac 12 landscape has changed. 

It is having an impact on many programs, Oklahoma most impacted. I think, in the end, it will help Oregon.

Oregon has struggled against mediocre competition. With sc no longer being mediocre, Oregon will need to up its game and undoubtedly will.

I think one thing we need, all of the Pac-12 needs is to go to an 8 game conference schedule. Until then the conference will continue to suffer. George needs to get to work, and make some things happen.

It is interesting a coach who has had so much success at an elite program decides to move to the Pac-12. Definitely something we will have to digest over time.

I am definitely not talking about the Fresno State coach leaving, that isn't surprising.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed especially the 8 game league schedule.