81DuckAlum

Pay The Man

What with the amounts being paid to Kelly, Tucker, and Riley, it's my humble opinion that Oregon needs to immediately restructure Cristobal's contract upwards to at least 9 million a year.  I know.  Sounds crazy.  But not to me.

make it rain money GIF

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:23 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

What with the amounts being paid to Kelly, Tucker, and Riley, it's my humble opinion that Oregon needs to immediately restructure Cristobal's contract upwards to at least 9 million a year.  I know.  Sounds crazy.  But not to me.

make it rain money GIF

How about get to the final 4 first? Tucker has not been there granted, but Kelly and Riley have often played for a title. IMO, Tucker will turn out to be way overpaid.

$9M is a lot of dough? Are you sure Oregon can come with this amount? Are you certain based on his record to date that Mario is ELITE? This is elite-kind of money.

If salary

On 11/30/2021 at 10:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Are you sure Oregon can come with this amount? Are you certain based on his record to date that Mario is ELITE? This is elite-kind of money.

Michigan State, which has more money than does Oregon needed boosters to handle the deal with Tucker. A deal that showed a Coach's salary is not based on merit. 

The reality is that there is a level of wealth that exists these days that is beyond the comprehension of most of us "normal" people. We all know about Phil Knight's generosity and how it is the foundation of Oregon's success in all of its sports programs. The fact is that there are many other more anonymous wealthy donors just waiting in the wings to help "make it happen" for the Ducks.

I love you 30Duck, but I disagree that MSU's boosters have more money than Oregon's boosters. Phil Knight alone could easily easily easily fund a deal equal to, and even sweeter than, the deal MSU just handed to Tucker; and Phil isn't the only one-percenter who wears a Duck hat on Saturdays.

Given MC's success at Oregon and the new standard of renumeration for successful coaches that has been recently set, it would be wise for Mullins to sweeten MC's contract (even though they just did that) and increase the buy out amount. The deal that Cristobal currently has IS NOT enough to stop Miami if Mario Cristobal is a man who can be bought.

That said, as was proven with the leaked details of Lincoln Riley's USC deal, no amount of money will stop a top school that is motivated to get the coach of their dreams. 

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Riley leaves Oklahoma after playoff appearances and consecutive Heisman winners, partly because he saw a better chance of keeping that going at USC then with Oklahoma in the SEC. Meanwhile, Kelly leaves The Mecca of Football, Notre Dame, to go to the SEC. Of course, LSU won the championship under Saban, Les Miles, and Ed Orgeron. 

Winning and $$$ go with these two. Is Luke Fickell, who beat Notre Dame, going to leave Cincinnati and be the next coach? The Golden Dome has a lot more money than does Cincinnati.

Just for the record and I can understand why you believe Mario deserves a raise.

But Jim Harbuagh is being paid $4M base salary this season.

Mario makes less than Shaw but Shaw beat Mario. Stanford is not bowl eligible.

Whittingham makes more than Mario. Utah is 9-3 with an L against Oregon State and a decisive beat down of Oregon. 

6 Pac-12 teams are bowl eligible. Pathetic.  Absolutely pathetic.

The roster is young? Yes. Injuries happened? Yes. But Oregon still has a Blue Chip roster. The only other school with a Blue Chip roster, USC, fired its coach in-season.

Considering how weak the Pac-12 is in 2021, a conference championship is the floor for this Oregon team. Does any coach who lost to Stanford deserve a $4M+ bump in pay? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2021 at 11:00 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Considering how weak the Pac-12 is in 2021, a conference championship is the floor for this Oregon team. Does any coach who lost to Stanford deserve a $4M+ bump in pay? 

Does Oregon want to lose the Two Time Conference winning coach, and find somebody else who might lose to Stanford again, and not win any conference titles for a while. The salary increase wouldn't just be for this, so far 10 win season, but to maintain what has been successful moving forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, 30Duck said:

Winning and $$$ go with these two. Is Luke Fickell, who beat Notre Dame, going to leave Cincinnati and be the next coach? The Golden Dome has a lot more money than does Cincinnati.

I hope ND gets Fickell.  Seems natural since Kelly came from Cinci too.   Definitely a step up moving that direction.   I was shocked at how little Kelly is paid by ND, especially with all the $ from making the playoff twice as an independent.  They can and will have to pony up to get the next coach.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2021 at 11:12 AM, 30Duck said:

Does Oregon want to lose the Two Time Conference winning coach, and find somebody else who might lose to Stanford again, and not win any conference titles for a while. The salary increase wouldn't just be for this, so far 10 win season, but to maintain what has been successful moving forward.

Mario is definitely not at the same level in terms of coaching, comparing to Kelly and Riley.    But his recruiting compensates.   I think he is fairly paid by Oregon, but then again the market dictates the pay.   The question is if MC is interested in a move to Miami or OK.  If he is, he will probably get what he wants and there is nothing UO can do about it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

4 million is all of the sudden a small salary when you are talking about a coach that is capable of winning a power 5 conference annually with recruiting prowess and a decent coordinator up to this point. I can understand not wanting to pay him over ten like some of these new contracts, but he should probably be at around at least 8/year unless the decision makers think they can find someone who will win more games for less.

The market has decided what a high end coach is worth, it was a wild jump, but the jump happened and any school that values their staff needs to be prepared to be competitive or lose the coach. It would be foolish to expect someone to leave millions of dollars per year on the table, and I wouldn't fault them if they chose not to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just food for thought.

Michigan State stadium holds about 26,000 more fans than Autzen. With a 7 game home schedule, well that is 184,000 ticket purchases. That's 3 Duck home game numbers. 

I googled to see what MSU average ticket price is..... Ready, wait for it...... $110 per.  In a perfect world, just on attendance, those extra seats bring in $20,240,000. That doesn't count parking or concessions for those extra fans 

I doubt MSU really needed to squeeze that money out of any boosters. But a good AD knows how this game is played. (So does my wife) 

My stomach tells me that MSU has  much more money in the coffers for their Athletic Departnent than Oregon has.

As for the 1%ers. Not sure which school has more.

Either way, Mullens is aware of what's going on around the college landscape. Hoping he acts accordingly to keep MC happy.

Hoping that a handful of Duck boosters, not named Knight, step up and help Mullens keep MC and his staff in line with others.

Go Ducks.... put your big boy pants on and payback the Utes. Ohio State awaits you and the price tag for MC will go up. Be a great Christmas gift for the coaches 

1-0 this week says it all.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/30/2021 at 2:19 PM, DuckFan93 said:

The question is if MC is interested in a move to Miami or OK.  

Oklahoma isn’t even considering MC. He doesn’t have the offensive mindset they desire.

Regarding MC’s pay raise. If Oregon or PK plans on keeping him around then they will have to pay up. If not, it’s back to square one and Oregon will always be thought of as a stepping-stone school.

PK has put a lot of $$$ into the facilities. It would only make sense that he invests the same in the coaching staff. Oregon will not attract top talent at $5M/year when other places are paying twice that. If they happen to find a high performer at $5M/year then he will get poached in short order. Eight figures is the new standard.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 11/30/2021 at 2:46 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Just food for thought.

Michigan State stadium holds about 26,000 more fans than Autzen. With a 7 game home schedule, well that is 184,000 ticket purchases. That's 3 Duck home game numbers. 

I googled to see what MSU average ticket price is..... Ready, wait for it...... $110 per.  In a perfect world, just on attendance, those extra seats bring in $20,240,000. That doesn't count parking or concessions for those extra fans 

I doubt MSU really needed to squeeze that money out of any boosters. But a good AD knows how this game is played. (So does my wife) 

My stomach tells me that MSU has  much more money in the coffers for their Athletic Departnent than Oregon has.

As for the 1%ers. Not sure which school has more.

Either way, Mullens is aware of what's going on around the college landscape. Hoping he acts accordingly to keep MC happy.

Hoping that a handful of Duck boosters, not named Knight, step up and help Mullens keep MC and his staff in line with others.

Go Ducks.... put your big boy pants on and payback the Utes. Ohio State awaits you and the price tag for MC will go up. Be a great Christmas gift for the coaches 

1-0 this week says it all.

B1G teams received $20M+ more than Pac-12 teams last season. B1G schools other than NW have many more alumni than does Oregon. B1G stadiums sell out? Pac-12 stadiums? The B1G has a network with 3x+ the # of subscribers that has the Pac-12 network and the B1G network is owned and operated by FOX. B1G schools have much larger budgets for football than does the Pac-12 schools. B1G administrations are solidly behind the B1G being excellent in athletics; especially, CFB and CBB.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:12 PM, 30Duck said:

Good point. I don't see 2020, which I will discount due to COVID, as having been a moving forward season? As to this season? The Final 4 was Right There. Then came a road game face plant.

We will know Saturday if the team has stayed the course this season? Will it or will it not qualify for a NY6 Bowl? If not, that is not moving forward. I don't see the Alamo Bowl as going forward. 2nd best in this conference? Not a significant accomplishment.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:15 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I hope ND gets Fickell.  Seems natural since Kelly came from Cinci too.   Definitely a step up moving that direction.   I was shocked at how little Kelly is paid by ND, especially with all the $ from making the playoff twice as an independent.  They can and will have to pony up to get the next coach.  

If Fickell doesn't take the ND job will he ever leave Cincy?

On 11/30/2021 at 12:39 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Regarding MC’s pay raise. If Oregon or PK plans on keeping him around then they will have to pay up. If not, it’s back to square one and Oregon will always be thought of as a stepping-stone school.

This is the thing. A Stepping-stone school and perennial Playoff contender do not go together. With a Commitee perception is even more a reality, and Oregon can not have any second string labels attached to it.

Guest DUCKBILL

Have we aș a society gone crazy ? Are we the new Romans who are willing to sacrifice anything to get our enjoyment and pleasure? Cristabol and his staff members already make 2 to 40 times the income of our governor. Is our quest for the Holy Grail ,a natty, to be gained at any cost ? I hope our college presidents keep a balanced approach to college athletics. The philosophical foundation of colleges is to educate, not to be a sports organization.

Good grief, football is a game. It is to be enjoyed win or lose. We should honor the game by respecting those who beat us and be humble when we win. There seems to be too much testosterone guiding our sportsmanship, win at all costs. In the long run this expectation will destroy many college football programs. I see a split in the future. Elite colleges will go the way of the Ivy league or eliminate football all together. The big money schools will in essence be training schools for the NFL with no cost to the NFL (I believe we already have this). These will be, because of the NIL, semi-pro teams.

For me this obsession with winning a natty and paying coaches these insane (in my view) salaries is turning me off . I have already shifted much of my attention to women's basketball as the money quest seems to not be the main reason these young women play the game. 

What's Cristobal's record vs Kelly again?

CHA-CHING! Don't know if the coach deserves a raise but a guy who just made bank? The agent who represents both Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly. 

BTW - Kelly who will be paid @$9M a year, took the Irish to a BCS Champ game and 2 CFP appearances.  Lincoln Riley? 4 trips to the CFP.

Mario? 1 Rose Bowl W over a 3L team. 1 Fiesta Bowl and a not in the game loss to Iowa State.

Maybe guaranteed money is the reason only three active coaches have a title.

Structure the contract with  bonuses for achievement.  Division title, conference title, NY6 bowl appearance.  NY6 victory.  Natty appearance.  Natty.

Four Mil turns to ten, maybe eleven.  

Show me the title, I'll show you the money.  

I obviously think coaches make way to much money.  And they get "go away" money to boot.

NFL players are no better.  I don't see the will to win anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If Fickell doesn't take the ND job will he ever leave Cincy?

I guess it depends on how far Cincy goes this year.  If they win it all, then he can write his own ticket, although there isn't a better destination left right now than ND.   OK maybe but it's moving to SEC which can be a con and pro.

On the other hand, ND will have to be patient and wait till January if they want him.   So that's the X factor.

Brian Kelly to LSU -- What's next for Tigers and Fighting Irish (espn.com)

Back to the topic here, Fickell's salary is 3.4M this year.  So he is definitely a goner when it comes to $$$.

Edited by DuckFan93

On 11/30/2021 at 1:18 PM, DUCKBILL said:

I have already shifted much of my attention to women's basketball

DUCKBILL....it is great to see you posting, and yes...we all think it has become crazy.  But what can I say?  I LOVE college football and Our Beloved Ducks!

And we will be having the official Oregon press releases, article links pertaining and posts in this forum about Womens Basketball this winter and spring.

Sedona Prince_Oregon WBB Twitter (2).jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, Mike West said:

I obviously think coaches make way to much money.  And they get "go away" money to boot.

NFL players are no better.  I don't see the will to win anymore.

Oh the good old days, and they were good. I remember watching the NFL back in the 70's, and there was a much different feel to it, and baseball and basketball too. But back then, a player making $100,000 a year was big news. Yesterday Matt Scherzer signed a deal with the Mets, 130 M for 3 years!

Damian Lillard makes  about 50 M per, the Blazers are just good enough to stay out of the Lottery.

And of course money has brought about what we have in college football. The Playoff is a television production that killed off bowl games. Can't really blame a player from looking to the NFL instead of playing in the Safeway Re-useable Bag Bowl, Dec.16 at 11 in the morning on TBS.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The sad thing to me is that I agree with everyone's point of view in this discussion.  We are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

The whole "business" is all out of control.

Then there's the "Dead Money" phenomenon that is even crazier.  (And here I always thought that was just the title of my favorite Fallout New Vegas DLC).

It's insane when the President of a University has to tell an agent who told him not to talk the Coach, but to only go through the agent, that  "Listen, this person works for me. I don't have to go through you."

Sometimes I think that we Greybeards have seen too much.  It all stinks.

money GIF

FBS schools spent over $533.6 million in dead money over 10+ years

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32552130/schools-spent-5336-million-dead-money

Back in the day PK asked Bellotti what he needed to win. This was the beginning of the rise of the elite level of the Oregon Football Program. It didn't start by paying Bellotti more money.  PK is focused on winning, always has been, always will be. He also knows just throwing money at a coach doesn't create wins.

This is why he is having the new practice facility built. Student athletes come to Oregon because of the facilities, education and opportunity those facilities provide. The fact the coach makes $4-9 million never crosses their mind. The student athletes is where our focus needs to be and where PK's focus is. 

I think we also need a very good coach, but we have continually hired mediocre coaches and turned them into winners. I hope Cristobal wants to continue to be a winner at Oregon, and make a lot of money, but not stupid money. If he is focused on mindless money and outrageous expectations, then there will always be that road available. We shouldn't compete on that basis, in my opinion.

The big difference maker I see we don't have is the Heisman athlete. That athlete needs the supporting cast, we have that, but we also need somebody who has the magic. I hope that missing link is on the bench, and we see that difference maker develop over the next couple years to bring home the Naty!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 12:32 AM, 81DuckAlum said:

The sad thing to me is that I agree with everyone's point of view in this discussion.  We are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

The whole "business" is all out of control.

Then there's the "Dead Money" phenomenon that is even crazier.  (And here I always thought that was just the title of my favorite Fallout New Vegas DLC).

It's insane when the President of a University has to tell an agent who told him not to talk the Coach, but to only go through the agent, that  "Listen, this person works for me. I don't have to go through you."

Sometimes I think that we Greybeards have seen too much.  It all stinks.

money GIF

FBS schools spent over $533.6 million in dead money over 10+ years

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32552130/schools-spent-5336-million-dead-money

CFB will officially be a professional enterprise in a decade or so. A Super League with 16 to 32 teams is coming. It is inevitable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see paying Cristobal $6-7 million per year but I don't think he will get into the upper echelon with Kelly, Riley, Saban, Tucker, Smart etc. etc. 

If $6-7 is not enough for him then we should walk and find someone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, C J said:

don't think he will get into the upper echelon with Kelly, Riley, Saban, Tucker, Smart

Which one of these isn't elite?

If the Ducks lose to UT this Friday why would MC deserve a pay raise? I think it should be earned. So far MC's only equaled his best year. 

I get the pay to stay thing but except for speculation there's no indication he's on any schools short list.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

CFB will officially be a professional enterprise in a decade or so. A Super League with 16 to 32 teams is coming. It is inevitable.

And it's that aspect of the "game", that the older I became, the less interesting Pro football is for me.  From a rabid, beer swilling fan of the Saints at the Superdome in the 80's-90's while living in New Orleans,  I now can literally NOT watch any Pro football.  (Maybe because I had to stop drinking?)

As CFB trends more deeply into the "professional enterprise", (maybe when recruiting includes competing for "salaries"?)….I will no longer follow even OBD.  I can't believe I said that.

ashamed puppy GIF

Edited by 81DuckAlum

On 11/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Jon, you are always the voice of reason, and with a much more comprehensive understanding of the issues than I will ever be.  I understand that what I am proposing is a sign of how crazy I am.

Can we all agree that he should be the highest paid coach in the PAC except for the USC of course

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Can we all agree that he should be the highest paid coach in the PAC except for the USC of course

? Whittingham makes more. Utah wins Saturday and should Mario be paid more? I do believe Mario should be paid more than Shaw but Shaw has a BIG endowment behind him.

He out recuits Whit. I believe we would have had no losses in the PAC without the severity of injuries. He has no control over that therefore he should be #2. IMHO