Charles Fischer

Reports: Akron Expected to Hire Moorhead After Pac-12 Championship

A couple of articles are stating this today such as this one from The Score that seem pretty certain, and...

Oregon Expected to Lose OC Joe Moorhead After Pac-12 Title Game by Matt Zemek of Trojan Wire

Joe Moorhead at Oregon Intro_Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I am not convinced that being the head coach at Akron is an upgrade from being the OC at Oregon.

Must be a real personal decision for him I guess. Hope it's not partially due to not having a shared vision with Cristobal.

• Thumbs Up 2

CORRECTION: After Oregon wins the Pac-12 Championship Game!

• Thumbs Up 2

Moorhead's comments are the classic coach-speak answer about leaving a job. I think he's gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:38 AM, C J said:

I am not convinced that being the head coach at Akron is an upgrade from being the OC at Oregon.

Must be a real personal decision for him I guess. Hope it's not partially due to not having a shared vision with Cristobal.

Was discussing this with my buddies earlier. My thought is maybe he's looking for a little less stress after what happen with his health. Running the show might not seem like less stress, but OC at Oregon (with all the stressors of national recruiting and being in the spotlight constantly) might not be as cozy as being in charge at a school where you probably recruit a few states and bowl status would be parade-worthy. 

Of course it could also mean he hates Mario or the floor's about to be pulled out and everyone's leaving!

Of course of course, it could also mean none of these things and he just wants to be a coach. 

• Thumbs Up 2

"The three criteria I use are personal, professional, and monetary. How does this decision affect you and your family, how does it benefit them? Professionally, a chance to go somewhere and either sustain success or rebuild, and like you said, the monetary part. Everyone likes money." ~ Joe Moorhead when asked about the Akron head coaching job.

I think it's clear that Joe is most definitely gone. As far as he's is concerned, Akron beats Oregon in all three of his criteria. He is from that general neck of the woods and feels more at home there, he is familiar with the challenges of coaching at Akron, and he will make more money there. 

If he has aspirations of being a head coach at a bigger school, it's easier to get there from a head coaching position; although, given his health, he also might be happy hanging out as head coach of the Akron Zips where the money is decent and the stress level is much more manageable than at a bigger program.

It's too bad. I never really felt like he hit his stride at Oregon. His first year was the Covid season, and this season was effected with his health issues. While he may indeed be an offensive guru, I have to say that I never really saw evidence of it in Oregon's offense. Frankly, what I did see was more similar to Arroyo than different. Maybe if he'd have stayed longer and had the chance to work with a better quarterback, that would have been different.

I think, unless Akron steps up to the plate, JM makes a little more than double the current Akron HC salary as Oregon's OC.

Doesn't mean much, if his heart is in the midwest.

Sometimes, contrary to popular belief, some things are more important than "the money".

On 12/1/2021 at 9:46 AM, latracey said:

Frankly, what I did see was more similar to Arroyo than different. Maybe if he'd have stayed longer and had the chance to work with a better quarterback, that would have been different.

Could this be a product of MC not wanting the extra flare of what JM could bring to the offense coupled with a QB that really wasn't that skilled? I think JM had to pare down his offense for MC and AB.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, Matty Luau said:

Was discussing this with my buddies earlier. My thought is maybe he's looking for a little less stress after what happen with his health. Running the show might not seem like less stress, but OC at Oregon (with all the stressors of national recruiting and being in the spotlight constantly) might not be as cozy as being in charge at a school where you probably recruit a few states and bowl status would be parade-worthy. 

Cristobal is not easy to work for... he has a lot of demands in terms of recruiting and recruiting at a high level takes a whole lot more work than recruiting lower level talent. 

I also get a sense that Moorhead is really an east coast guy and though Ohio isn't exactly east coast it is a whole lot more east than Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Joe Morehead grew up in Pittsburgh, not that far from Akron.  He and his family have to be concerned about his health.  This could be as simple as Joe and his spose deciding they needed to be closer to home and extended family.

• Like 2

Would be interesting to see how much Akron will pay him...Although I don't think this move is about $.   

Sucks for the Ducks, but hopefully we replace him with someone in better health.  Also, personally I wonder if his offensive schemes are too tricky sometimes even for ourselves.   I heard from a booster who sat in with the players as they learned the schemes that apparently only AB was able to get all of his playbook.  That's why we have been stuck with him all season.   TT and Butter just couldn't grasp all of it at their young age.

Guest KingT

Good for Joe, looks like he got it. Sounds like Joe had a legit (life impacting) health scare, so good for him. As Mario has done time and again, he will improve the OC situation yet again. On every occasion of a Coach or Player leaving, Mario has upgraded their spot. Joe is well positioned with a school like Akron.

Looks like he's waiting to formally announce until after the Pac-12 Championship. Hopefully that doesn't mean he's bolting after the game and leaving Mastro to call plays in the Rose Bowl. I mean, it's not exactly like there are big fish he is needing to go after at Akron in terms of recruiting.

My bet is he does the right thing and coaches the bowl game.

Could be he wants back in coaching and this would be a great way to improve your resume'. Take a team in the dumpster and bring them

back to prominence would possibly open more doors for a better HC job.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, woundedknees said:

Sometimes, contrary to popular belief, some things are more important than "the money".

Exactly. And, actually, quite refreshing.

Bring Donte Williams back? We know he’s an excellent recruiter and It would be a good counter to USC hiring Lincoln Riley. The one thing I worry about with Lincoln Riley is the recruiting in California. 

On 12/2/2021 at 7:34 AM, Loudduck said:

Bring Donte Williams back? We know he’s an excellent recruiter and It would be a good counter to USC hiring Lincoln Riley. The one thing I worry about with Lincoln Riley is the recruiting in California. 

Bring Williams back as what?  Someone would have to be fired or reassigned. 

The rumors are that Donte burned bridges with Cristobal when he left...and the terrible negative recruiting against Oregon while at USC has not helped that situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck