Charles Fischer

FishDuck Article: "Can Ty Thompson Save Oregon Football?"

It has been just about one year since the Rose Bowl win. Justin HerbertTroy Dye and their compatriots capped off their program-building careers with a conference championship and a win in the most important game to the Pac-12. It was a high point for the back half of a decade that saw Oregon reach new heights and fall right back to ...

Read the full article here...

Mr. FishDuck

Right now we don't know if Ty Thompson can save Oregon football, but we do know that no one else has a chance of doing it. Shough and Brown both had a good shot at it and both have come up short. Others in the barn could if given a chance but so far have not impressed the coaches enough to get on the field. 

One of the things Oregon has seen over the years from its great QB's, is the ability to display that greatness from early on. MM and JH have both shined as true freshmen so for Ty Thompson we should know early on if he is going to be the chosen one. 

giphy.gif

It is too heavy to expect Ty to come in and become the savior of Oregon Football. The Ducks for sure need a star QB to lead the charge, but there were breakdowns in 2020 within all the position groups. Each one must improve for the Ducks to become champions, and Oregon's in-game coaching must improve substantially too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

Right now we don't know if Ty Thompson can save Oregon football, but we do know that no one else has a chance of doing it.

That's it exactly. Whether it be Thompson, or any of the other on the roster, the position is wide open for next season. Thompson's talent jumps out on the film, he is dynamic in ways that Shough doesn't come close to matching. 

The qb makes all the difference. I mean the qb position is cumulative, in a way no other position effects the team. It can be a multiplier and the team can be much greater than it's parts. 

The qb position can also be more than merely negative from a mistake or turnover. When a qb doesn't have confidence the team is no longer a team, just a divided group of individuals trying to do their individual best.

This is where our team was at the end of the year. We didn't have strong leadership on the field and the mistakes were multiplied by a lack of confidence at the position. So yes Ty Thompson, or somebody else can save Oregon Football by providing strong leadership and skill at the position we didn't see this season develop.

I say develop because we may again see mistakes, but how does the qb react, will be the question? We need a qb who inspires, while doing all the little things a qb needs to do. Who that will be is the most exciting question of the coming preseason.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

we may again see mistakes, but how does the qb react, will be the question?

A quarterback must have the same "no-memory" of interceptions that defensive backs have after being burned for a touchdown.  You can still come back and win the game...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The bigger question to me is will the coaches let Ty Thompson save Oregon football?  Justin Herbert was woefully underutilized and if it weren't for a stingy D in 2019, we don't win the PAC12 or the Rose Bowl.  Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson score massive points. We need to do the same if we want to go to the next level. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

The mere fact that you're asking the question is scary, Ryan. If an 18-year-old who has not played a down is seen as a potential savior, we're not in for a good season.

• Like 1

I don't deny that Thompson can be a great qb.  But expecting a young freshman to be The Savior is not usually in the cards.  And I've talked him up before.  I'm quite impressed by Robby Ashford.  He has it all...big arm, accuracy, reads defenses well, is big (6'4", 219), fast, illusive, can throw on the run, great back shoulder throws, etc.  In my opinion, he was the superior qb in the Poly Bowl, which included the 'anointed one',  DJ Uiagalelei.  Check out Ashfords' 2018 highlights ...

I think he has been under the radar because everyone expects him to go pro in (yawn) baseball.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Oregon football got punched in the face. I am not sure if Ty Thompson is the only guy that needs to save the team. The 2020 season included poor performances from the coaching staff, offense, defense, and special teams. Did I miss anybody?

It will require a total team effort to reestablish the teams identity.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Mudslide said:

Check out Ashfords' 2018 highlights

Impressive tape.  Certainly looks the part...notably patience/poise, athleticism, and arm strength.

1 hour ago, Mudslide said:

I'm quite impressed by Robby Ashford.

He seems like another Dennis Dixon who can throw and run with one exception; Dixon had the skinniest legs I've ever seen on a quarterback.  I have forearms bigger!

Dennis Dixon carved up Washington_Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

To be fair, there were problems all over the field. Sp. Teams gutted the Fiesta Bowl. That's youth and coaching right there. 5/6 total turnovers will put undue pressure on a team. Yes, that's an opportunity for teams to be tested by fire and show their true metal. Truth is/was, Oregon was the most inexperienced team in all of college football. Shough still played as the best QB in Pac12. But, missing an NFL blind side offensive lineman is a killer. Missing a hard hitting RB is a killer. Missing TE starters is a killer. And WR as well. Defense was extremely Young and inexperienced.

I'm sorry, I don't see this as a QB issue per se' as much as I see this as a maturity issue. Oregon is Not Alabama, full of top 10 recruits, headed to the NFL in droves every year. Oregon isn't there....yet. Oregon's Defense showed signs of brilliance in title game and the last half of season for that matter. I'm personally not worried as much about defense as some might be. C19 was a killer and so was inexpedience. Look at LSU. NC one year and barely bowl eligible following year.....inexperience. 

My take is this; Defense improves noticeably to 2019 levels for the 2021 season and opens eyes. We have world class players at all positions. 4/5*DB's, 5* LB's, 4/5* DE's. Yeah, the defense is coming together at the eight time. Offense needs a steady hand to be sure. The line will be more than solid IMO. RB and receivers look to return to form as a squad. A solid QB to manage the game will most likely win the PAC12 again for Oregon. Ty hasn't played one single snap so I would be hesitant to anoint the kid. But, who knows, if Ty can come in this spring and wrestle control in the QB room, then its going to create an unruly buzz Oregon hasn't had in quite some time. If this is so, then a March to the Natty playoffs is a reasonable goal for 2021 season. But, I foresee a PAC12 championship on the menu for 2021. Anything above would be euphoric for UO.

• Like 1

The only thing I expect this off season is a spirited quarterback battle.

Shough, Brown (assuming he stays), Butterfield, Ashford, Millen, and Thompson will all have opportunities to show their abilities.

I do hope Millen thinks about switching positions though, I think he is outmatched and he delivered a real hit on special teams against USC.

I think the competition will really come down to Shough, Brown, Butterfield and Thompson. Ashford is running pretty far back in the quarterback pack from this season but he could always surge to the forefront. With a rigorous off season we will know for sure we have the BEST option for quarterback.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone arguing against “throwing Ty to the wolves”...he has to learn our much too complicated and voluminous playbook. 

My two main axions are: football is not rocket science and keep it simple stupid. 

The kids spend too much time trying to learn and memorize these ridiculously huge playbooks instead of learning the fundamentals like blocking, tackling, running routes, securing the ball, covering receivers, etc. 

Tyler and Anthony are very good QB’s that have been failed by incompetent play calling.  A 6th grade Kidsports defense could anticipate the Ducks next play...run twice up the middle with an undersized back then throw.  They would load up for the runs then blitz on 3rd down! 

Play calling has been particularly weak in the red zone...ex. ISU game...2 runs up the middle followed by a slot sweep...uh? 

It’s amazing that high school kids “in the good old days” were capable of learning the plays and calling their own in the games!  Now college scholar-athletes are deemed incapable of accomplishing this feat. 

Many of these plays fail because of missed blocks, receivers running wrong routes, etc. because the players can’t possibly be proficient executing this huge number of plays!

The only good play caller I’ve seen in my 30 years watching the Ducks is Chip Kelly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Bowden said:

The only good play caller I’ve seen in my 30 years watching the Ducks is Chip Kelly.

And he still is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drake said:

Oregon football got punched in the face. I am not sure if Ty Thompson is the only guy that needs to save the team. The 2020 season included poor performances from the coaching staff, offense, defense, and special teams. Did I miss anybody?

It will require a total team effort to reestablish the teams identity.

Yah. The fans were distant or absent as well..............

Somebody will need to rise to the top, but more importantly will need the development to become elite.

Seeing Ashford sit at 5th on the depth chart makes me wonder about his development and talent level. I too was very excited about his potential and still am, but we didn't see too much happen with him as a freshman.

The question with Ashford sitting at 5th is, can a freshman take over in this program?

The good news is Jay Butterfield moved up to 3rd on the depth chart as a freshman. So maybe we look to Butterfield as the guy rising and showing he has what it takes to keep moving up?

Butterfield also shows a freshman can makes some noise. Can Thompson make enough noise to rise all the way to the top, should be fun to watch.

• Like 1

Folks are commenting on the overall depth chart of qb's...e.g. Ashford being 4th or 5th, etc.  Can someone direct me to find the official list of Duck qb's in the charts?  I have seen projected depth charts surmised by media writers before the season even started.  But nothing ever official except for the top 2 during the season.

Many thanks.

He really does look that good

30 minutes ago, Mudslide said:

Folks are commenting on the overall depth chart of qb's...e.g. Ashford being 4th or 5th, etc.  Can someone direct me to find the official list of Duck qb's in the charts?  I have seen projected depth charts surmised by media writers before the season even started.  But nothing ever official except for the top 2 during the season.

Many thanks.

16104011048082432480995936712922.jpg

Don't sleep on Butterfield.  Plus, I think Shough can be serviceable.   The issues this year were depth, experience, injuries moreso than coaching, scheme or execution.  Of course, I am just a fan so whadoIknow?

48 minutes ago, Mudslide said:

Many thanks.

One of the resources on Fishduck is ChileDuck's depth chart. Go to Fishduck's homepage, go over to the upper right corner, nine little white squares, and click on that. From there go to the 'football repository' and click on that. Then scroll down to Chileduck's updated depth chart. Or click on this https://web.nmsu.edu/~ogden/oregon/depthchart.html

There are some other valuable resources there, especially the talent evaluations, too many to name all, which are fun to read. 

I was pleasantly surprised at Shough after the first game.  He looked confident, passed and ran well.  I just can't believe it's the same guy I watched the last two games of the year.  He looked like the cat on a hot tin roof.  I hope they can do something get his confidence back.

Butterfield looked intriguing and talented, but I'm afraid he doesn't fit  what they want in a mobile quarterback.  Without the mobility threat, the  offense Oregon runs will be even more limited.  Millen won't be the answer, Brown is a short termer at best, so unless they are able to fix Shough or Butterfield is more mobile than projected, Thompson and Ashford might ultimately be the answer.