Charles Fischer

"Athletic Department Would be Stunned if Cristobal Left"

I have great respect for the subscription sites for Oregon football, (even if they let their members trash and disparage me) and I generally do not like reporting any inside reports of theirs until a day has passed so their subscribers who pay for immediate access--do get the information first.

That being said--one of the sites has reported yesterday that they are not worried in the Athletic Department about Mario leaving for Miami. Why?  Because he gets full control of the football program and gets everything he wants in funding for important projects and hires.  There are not any "sticking" points for him to demand or leverage for change because...he has what he wants.

The one exception is updating his contract to reflect the new reality of what winning coaches are being paid, and apparently that is happening RIGHT NOW, as they are working on it behind the scenes.

This is very good news, and although Miami fans bluster quite a bit--the chances of Cristobal leaving after his new Oregon contract is announced is quite low.  Rest easy my friends, as I am letting a long breath out too!

Mario Cristobal at OSU_Fox Sports Video.jpg

BTW....check out the fellow in neon behind Mario...that is legendary FishDuck Photographer Tom Corno!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you for helping all our breathing, Charles and great work, Mullens and the rest of the Athletic Department!

Thank you for sharing!

I agree very much with the reasons he has to be content, and that a contract correction to reflect the current market should be underway if that part is accurate.

That said, and this isn't exclusive to this situation, I think it should never be a stunning turn of events for someone to take an opportunity to return to their original community and coach at their alma mater.

That draw is real for a lot of people regardless of the profession. I would however be stunned if he took a job anywhere but Miami, personally.

Edited by WCCIDT

Thanks for the post. It definitely helped 

That is great news!

I was not to worried since Moorhead is shopping his services around. I do not feel he would be if he felt there was a chance of Mario leaving.

Now, who can we get as OC??? Helfrich?

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario sticking with Oregon would make moderate waves in the college football landscape,  but major positive shock waves at the University of Oregon. 

Seeing pundits with egg on their collective faces?

PRICELESS!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 11:29 AM, woundedknees said:

Seeing pundits with egg on their collective faces?

Yeah, these days all the attention goes to the so-called smart guys who have the most strident, instant, knee-jerk predictions on everything.

There's no downside to being wrong in the current media environment, as everybody forgets what you said after about 15 minutes.

So, I'm with you; I love it when the instant authoritative predictions go down the drain.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:39 AM, jrw said:

Yeah, these days all the attention goes to the so-called smart guys who have the most strident, instant, knee-jerk predictions on everything.

Exactly, the "Sources" the "Insiders" are hot button covers for really not knowing anything. I think it's always been quite more likely that Mario would stay. But none of these guys are going to get any action by saying that. They don't know anything, and care about it even less.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, 30Duck said:

Exactly, the "Sources" the "Insiders" are hot button covers for really not knowing anything. I think it's always been quite more likely that Mario would stay. But none of these guys are going to get any action by saying that. They don't know anything, and care about it even less.

So many rumors about him leaving. But he did not get an offer from Florida and Notre Dame and likely will not receive an offer from Oklahoma?

On 12/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

So many rumors about him leaving. But he did not get an offer from Florida and Notre Dame and likely will not receive an offer from Oklahoma?

And really, the only reason that Miami is interested in him is because he went there. It's "Good" that your coach is coveted by other schools, but Mario isnt coveted yet, 

• Thumbs Up 1

Having full control over the entire operation isn’t something that’s normal unless the coach has earned that right. Saban, Dabo and maybe Smart are a few who can call their own shots. I would imagine that Bohn will even keep the reigns on Riley until he fully trusts him.

I think the leadership in the Oregon athletic department is the reason why their coaches have been successful. As opposed to programs like Texas and Florida who look to coaches to be the reason they succeed. All the while not giving them the support they need or micromanaging them. 

On 12/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

He was on Florida’s short list. Oklahoma won’t hire him because they  want to run a pass-first offense. Notre Dame won’t hire somebody from “The U”. Too much bad blood.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, 30Duck said:

and care about it even less

I think not caring is a big part of it. So what if you're wrong? No big deal, there will be something else to opine on in a few minutes.

The so-called pundits are rarely held accountable for their accuracy; hits, clicks, likes, and number of followers are all that matters.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:38 PM, jrw said:

The so-called pundits are rarely held accountable for their accuracy;

I love it when my Man, Todd McSham can be brought up again, it doesn't matter if he's wrong. He has Mock Draft 1 to 32. Nobody else can possibly have a job as meaningless but pays as well as McSham does. 

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 12:46 PM, 30Duck said:

a job as meaningless

His job consists of guessing what other people are thinking. Strenuous.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Dr. Jack you absolutely friggin nailed it!  All Oregon coaches are supported in ways that few if any can match.

From the world-class and cutting edge facilities to the extraordinary student athlete support structure, most coaches simply don’t get that level  of support from the Universities.

Edited by PittDuck
Revision

On 12/2/2021 at 12:23 PM, 30Duck said:

And really, the only reason that Miami is interested in him is because he went there. It's "Good" that your coach is coveted by other schools, but Mario isnt coveted yet, 

Or is he not coveted because those schools reach out to his agent and his agent just says "not interested" and that whole process dies nice and quick so there is no reason to pursue? 

I know Cristobal has some things to work out... Namely getting that offense to average over 40 points per game for starters and making sure that defense is consistent... The defense I am not worried about at the moment...

But the next OC hire is going to be important. There is too much talent on the roster to let go to waste. Need a to get one of those qbs ready to go and have a strong vertical passing attack. 

Also notice how no one is yelling at Mastro this year since we got rid of the pistol? 

• Haha 1