Charles Fischer

GameDay Thread of Pac-12 Championship Game: the MENTAL, Not the Physical Side Will Win

"This particular game is such a mental one in my view, as opposed to what the coaches will say about it being a physical showdown. In fact I do not know if I have ever encountered such a “mental” Oregon game as this one in all my years as an Oregon fan."

GameDay Thread of Pac-12 Championship: the MENTAL, Not the Physical Side Will Win by Charles Fischer of FishDuck

Jack-Palance-in-City-Slickers-from-Video

The "One-Thing" Oregon Needs to Win...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Of all your "mental" points, I hope the mental discipline to go penalty free occurs in the game. 

Those mental lapses have killed too many drives.  Those selfish "jawing" at the opponent unsportsmanlike penalties need to be stopped.  Just walk away!

Thanks for the well thought article!

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

The last time, and only time, that Oregon lost to the eventual N Champ was 2014, to Scooby and the rest of the Wildcats. I remember this game seeming worse than the 31-24 score indicates. But Oregon set things right, mauling the 'Cats, 51-13, in the Championship Game. 

There was nothing vague about the L to the Utes and whether it will motivate or disintegrate Oregon's desire is what we'll find out.

Yogi and I agree, the game is 50% physical and 90% mental, or as Iron Mike would say, everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face.  We need to throw the first punch and keep it up.

If we can do that and let Utah know they are playing a completely different team, that will go a long way towards a W.

If not, and Utah is playing the same team, OUCH.

It would be interesting to see what NIL opportunities are available for the "Threepeat Pac 12 Champs" (Doesn't that have a nice ring to it)? 

• Thumbs Up 2

It’s pretty obvious that this team can beat anyone in the pack with the talent they have. The thing is does this group want it. 

We all hope they do.

go🦆🦆🦆s

Yes this has been an interesting year. We haven't known which team will show up, and often, for how long will that last?

The worst mental hurdle I remember is against Stanford in the 2012, 2013, and 2014 seasons. Marcus hadn't beaten them and it was in their heads. The constant blather about the media generated Stanford "brutal intelligence" was just crap. Marcus dominated with a fast start and they won.

Start fast, build momentum, and they'll be Champs!

We'll see who shows up

Go Ducks!!! 

I think Ken Woody got it right. Mental outlook is formed by what your focused on.  If it’s on yourself,  you’re on the right track. That’s why this is not a game of revenge, but a game of redemption.

Thought I saw a glimmer in AB’s play against the Beavs that suggests he’s at least slowing the game down under JM’s system. Looking for that same confidence in Las Vegas. Go Ducks!

Super article that perfectly asks the questions asked over and over again since Mario's been at the wheel? I have zero idea what kind of effort and outcome to expect tonight? 

• Thumbs Up 1

With our youth I don't know what to expect. I do know the more experience you have the easier it is to be mentally tough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like everyone else is saying the key will be to start fast. That might mean choosing to receive the kick off if we win the opening game coin toss.

Come out on the first possession and throw a deep ball to Donte Thornton or Devon Williams on the first play from scrimmage. Throw a high rainbow (not a deep conservative overthrow as we have seen many times this year) and let one of those tall physical receivers see if they can go up and make a play right out of the gates.

When it works, and I think it will, run up to the line of scrimmage and rip off another 2 running plays with blur speed. Play the rest of the quarter in 2 minute offense mode looking for open receivers in the flats underneath the Utes zone and when they move up burn them deep again.

These are the kind of things I would try if I were coaching this game tonight. You are not going to be able to run over the Utes the way we did OSU, UW and WSU the past several weeks. We will have to have a completely new game plan tonight.

Fascinating subject and thanks for bringing it up at this time. I think the mental difference is all about the finger.

Some think it is about the crossing the fingers, luck. Football is an oblong ball and you never know how it is going to bounce. The refs can ruin the game, the wind can effect a pass, and the ball can just bounce the wrong way. You go out play, and never know who is going to win, just luck.

Others think it is all about the fist. Just punch them hard enough and the other side will give up. Some propose this is Mario's default process.  This has some merit when an opponent just doesn't respond. Sometimes an opponent doesn't care how hard you try, how hard you hit them, they want it more than you. This is where we will need 4 quarters, not just a fast start.

The real difference is between the forefinger and thumb. Every play, every situation do you give it the extra effort mentally and physically it takes to win. The difference isn't really measurable, but over time it is extremely consequential. The Ducks need to ask themself did they give that little extra  needed to win, every moment?

The ball may bounce wrong, but did you give up? You may have layed out the qb, but did you come back the next play with the same intensity? The problem with that little space between the thumb and the forefinger is if it gets too close it means zero. The Ducks need to focus on the little gap, difference between winning and losing and never forget it or let it get to zero.

Last season I saw that gap become zero too many times. Missed assignments, no follow through, lack of execution on individuals parts.  This season I have seen that gap stay wide enough to win and win when we weren't suppose to. That is the mental part I want to see us win.

If the Ducks take care of that little gap, difference between winning and losing, they can then give them the finger most were thinking I was getting too.

5wj6os.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

From Darren Perkins...I moved it to here!

Grey Beard Special!!!

The Ducks must win, otherwise the Utes travelling to Pasadena would look something like this (like us in '94):

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Tonight will be the 7th time in 11 champ games that the Pac-12 will have a rematch. The team that won earlier is 5-1 in the previous 6 games. The exception to the rule? The Ducks blow out of Rich Rod and Arizona.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, Charles Fischer said:

From Darren Perkins...I moved it to here!

Grey Beard Special!!!

The Ducks must win, otherwise the Utes travelling to Pasadena would look something like this (like us in '94):

Haha, i've got too many screens and windows open, sometimes i get lost.... 

Who will be the best coach tonight? This will be the key to the game.

Edited by Santa Rosa Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Haha, I've got too many screens and windows open, sometimes i get lost.... 

Not on you--for some reason the auto-posting of FishDuck articles did not work this morning, so I put up the article manually in this thread.  Then six hours later...it posts the article!  You posted under the new one, thus I moved it to the original post.  So again--not your fault!

Mr. FishDuck

"I have not been able to predict anything this season"  

This sums it up!   This year's ducks are impossible to predict.   I have given up.  It will come down to how the coaches and teams prepare and how AB performs.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Like 1

Utah fans are winning the battle of body count at the game, by a multiple of 100 by my eyes.

Duck fans have been late starters, but there’s no catching up at this point.

I hope the players don’t feel let down.

On 12/3/2021 at 4:43 PM, Duck1984 said:

Utah fans are winning the battle of body count at the game, by a multiple of 100 by my eyes.

Duck fans have been late starters, but there’s no catching up at this point.

I hope the players don’t feel let down.

Most that I talk to think the Ducks are going to lose. I would say 3 out of 4. I actually think they could win but it will take as good of a game as Ohio St.

FAST 

HARD 

FINISH

Usually, I'm verbose.  Not tonight.  Those three words sum up our brand.  

It's not "battle in a phone booth"

Edge of the Universe Mario.  Go where no man (you) has gone before.  

That's the mental battle going on.

Edited by Mike West

PAC 12 Network folks are saying 80% Utah fans to 20% Duck fans. That is a bad sign.

Utes are playing for something deeper. Will they want it more? They have the fans behind them.....essentially a home game for them.

We shall see how our Ducks come out and respond to a mountain of variables stacking up against them.

Edited by C J

Im sure MC is looking at the crowd thinking MIAMI is looking better everyday.

On a lighter note -The Ducks fans there would be a normal crowd for Stanford.

I feel like i've seen this game already

Ummmm....

That was easy-same ole D

there was no REASON to grab the receiver, the ball was at least 1foot farther ahead

For all the talk about physical, why do you run your regular defensive front on your own two yard line?

Again a penalty changes the tone of that drive ( close call- I like the defense of that pass). 

Not digging giving them easy blocking assignments so close to the goal line.  

Edited by Mike West

Yep, I didn't see anyway we were going to keep Utah from scoring less than 30. This is going to be another long night on defense folks.

Although I have to ask myself.....once again........why in the F&*! did Mario not ask for them to look at that horrible spot on 4th down?????  That's coaching, that's a basic part of being the coach for a college team.

Rising did not get that first down and these 7 points should not be on the board right now.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Looks like MC is going after those A gaps. Phone booth battle forthcoming.

2 missed tackles and a facemask on the return... this might turn out worse than the last game

• Thumbs Up 1

We look bad-very bad.

7 minutes gone and 30 yards in penalties. Help!

I don't object, in principle, to losing. I just don't like losing while looking embarrassingly shabby.

• Thumbs Up 1

Non disciplined sloppy football.

What is it with special teams? They've been absolutely terrible the last few weeks.

Yeah 

Utah seems to want this more than we do

LB looking at the QB again...

That is an INT or sack if he covers properly.

I don't get it...

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to see sequential plays now.  

That is the key to explosion.  

And now I'm going radio silent as I have spoken my peace.

Simple corrections will turn the tide of this game.

But who am I but a SCRUB FAN. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, I wonder what else is on TV

• Haha 2

Well this games in the dumper.

AB looks lathargic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pick 6 -Brown is toast sorry to say

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario, we have a problem. A big problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Mario experiment is not doing well.

He just threw a pick-6. His ankle is taped. His team is down 14-0. Why should he not be benched?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow they got a first down!  Oh pass interference on offense... 3rd and 17...

Anyone else going to bail out on this game?

• Thumbs Up 3

OH MY. Utah just really exposes every weakness we've discussed this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1