Babyjesus615

What is Chip's buyout?

Just saying. This team is playing like it knows MC is leaving. There was never a single season under Chip Kelly where Oregon failed to atleast have a fighting chance in any game.

So if Mario is gone by the end of the weekend and Chip is near the end of his contract, who could Oregon honestly do better by going after than the guy who knows how to coach an Oregon team to score more points than current passing yards tonight?

His buyout is low and his contract would be less than the 7 ish million they are trying to put up to keep Cristobal in town. He would keep the top level receiver talent from transferring and give Ty Thompson the best chance at immediate success against a brutal Out of Conference schedule right out of the gates next season.

• Like 1

Come mid-January, Chip's buyout is $0.

No thank you.  The magic of that time with Chip cannot be duplicated because the coaches who made it happen are retired.  Chip cannot even do what Chip did...at a great place to recruit to in UCLA.

I have heard from a number of sources that they hate him down there, as he has angered key boosters in the same manner he did at Oregon.

Let's all give this some time and ponder with cooler heads...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2021 at 11:28 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Just saying. This team is playing like it knows MC is leaving. There was never a single season under Chip Kelly where Oregon failed to atleast have a fighting chance in any game.

So if Mario is gone by the end of the weekend and Chip is near the end of his contract, who could Oregon honestly do better by going after than the guy who knows how to coach an Oregon team to score more points than current passing yards tonight?

His buyout is low and his contract would be less than the 7 ish million they are trying to put up to keep Cristobal in town. He would keep the top level receiver talent from transferring and give Ty Thompson the best chance at immediate success against a brutal Out of Conference schedule right out of the gates next season.

Chip was good when the spread was new and  innovative. Now, he might as well be coaching while wearing  a powdered wig, knee-high socks and buckled shoes.

• Thumbs Up 1

No thanks…

I hope Mario stays but if not drive the brinks truck down to Carolina and get Joe Brady 

• Thumbs Up 1

How soon you forget Chip vs.Boise State.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:45 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

How soon you forget Chip vs.Boise State.

One game does not a career make. The internet often says, "Move on," and "Get over it." I don't say either very often. But, I do think it is time to get over that game against BSU.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, Duckpop22 said:

One game does not a career make. The internet often says, "Move on," and "Get over it." I don't say either very often. But, I do think it is time to get over that game against BSU.

Get over a game?  How dare you!  Dyer was down!

(Duckpop22 and I are friends!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

because the coaches who made it happen are retired.

Without a doubt. Helfrich, Frost, Greatwood, Campbell, Ratcliffe and Aliotti don't get as much credit as they deserve. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

PK is going to have to dig deep into his pockets to right this ship. Ducks will need a major overhaul. 

Wow, I was just thinking that, go after Chip.   Chip was our best coach and best decision by AD.   

Chip is not a great head coach right now. I don’t know what happened. Maybe it’s just a lack of support from the UCLA administration. Mora had great recruiting classes but could win there. I don’t know. That said, Chip needs to change his recruiting philosophy and his attitude toward boosters to be great again.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:58 AM, cartm25 said:

I'd still like the Ducks to re-adopt the best mission statement in UO history:

WIN THE DAY

I don’t recall a single game in the Chip Kelly era when the team came out as flat as what we saw last night against Utah. Maybe that has to do with teams of the past knowing games weren’t over if they fell behind because their offenses actually had a passing game.

One thing about Chip’s Oregon teams is they were never blown out. The came close against LSU but DT got a garbage time TD to make it look respectable. USC came close as well but that team fought back and almost won the game. 

Every time Chips Ducks took the field I had complete confidence in him and the team. I've never once had that with MC except for games like

Stony Brook where you knew they'd win because the opponent was so much more inferior. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You want today's Chip? Hire Jeremy Chadwell from Coastal Carolina.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/4/2021 at 7:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

You want today's Chip? Hire Jeremy Chadwell from Coastal Carolina.

I can't agree more about this! CC, along with Georgia, were the only teams to average 40 points a game on offense and allow 20 on defense. Get this guy now, he's not going to be at Coastal Carolina for long!

If we look outside football to the places other successful, long-term Duck head coaches left to come here, Altman from Creighton, Graves from Gonzaga, a smaller school like Coastal Carolina just may mane a lt of sense, 30Duck.  I know, basketball is not like coaching football.  But I well recall Pat Kilkenny flying all over the country in search of big name coaches before settling on Dana, who has stayed here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel
On 12/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, Southwest Duck said:

No thanks…

I hope Mario stays but if not drive the brinks truck down to Carolina and get Joe Brady 

I hope Mario leaves. Recruiting means nothing if you can't coach.

No to Chip. I'd take Helfrich back as HC before Chip. 

Kelly won't recruit, period. Oregon was able to recruit so well during the Kelly years because Kelly had lightning in a bottle. The offense w as s amazing, the uniforms were amazing, and the coaches that made it all possible were at the peak of their careers. Oregon landed some big time recruits because of the timing and they fell in Kelly's lap. 

A few years later using the same recruiting tactics Helfrich missed on the same high level recruits. The magic had passed. And don't say that was because Helfrich wasn't as good of a recruiter as Kelly... Helfrich did more hands on recruiting than Kelly did as an OC and HC. Kelly hates recruiting. 

Oregon needs a coach who can recruit big time players and bring them to Eugene.

Didn’t Helfrich find Marcus in Hawaii when he went there to see a different player?

On 12/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Didn’t Helfrich find Marcus in Hawaii when he went there to see a different player?

A friend of the Mariota family actually tipped off Helfrich and called on behalf of Marcus, because Oregon was his dream school.  Not too many scouts knew about MM, because he rode the bench until his senior year.  I wouldn't credit Helfrich with that find.

Chip wasn't as "bad" at recruiting as many seem to remember: DAT, Armstead, Harris, Buckner, Addison, Marshall, Long, Brown, Johnstone, Ifo, and many others. He also did better than probably predicted finding good kids in the 300-900 national ratings range (like Clay, Patterson, Keliikipi, Dargan, T. Mitchell, Hill, Grasu, Stanford, and others).

He just never quite got over the top with recruiting, finishing each recruiting season with a long list of kids putting Oregon #2 or #3, a series of "almost", still his classes were #30, #12, #12, and #14, and again seemed to hit on a larger % of lower rated kids/JC than is probably expected.

Helfrich wasn't that bad either, he got a number of kids a lot of programs were after (Tyner, Freeman, Carrington, Kaumatule, Griffin, Mitchell, Hunt, Jonsen, Ofodile, Lovette, Merritt, plus again a good amount of lower rated kids that did well: Crosby, Dye, Nelson, Jelks, Amadi, Herbert, Lemieux, Throckmorton, Hanson, and on and on). It sort of stands to reason as the glow and success started to dip, recruiting got more difficult. Maybe as opposed to Chip, he possibly had a higher "bust ratio" than would be expected with the top half of his classes (and had a few more than probably expected bad apple type situations).

I've seen it argued when Chip took over he inherited an older group of coaches who didn't especially like to get out and recruit, so his "style"/approach was popular in house. By the time MH was in it, he had a very much older staff, I've even read the suggestion by then only a couple of guys on staff would ever even leave campus to recruit (didn't get out to schools, didn't get out to camps, didn't get out and talk to people or enjoy doing in-person visits). When someone had to go out and do the leg work in person, it was only one or two guys. It might just be random chatter, but you can possibly see how it might have come to pass as well.

I doubt Chip is gonna change much in recruiting. He hasn't exactly cashed in on the perception UCLA was a place that would "recruit itself".  Maybe if success came sooner there it might have flipped more? It would (obviously) help if Chip brought in some younger staff to do more leg work/relationship building if he were to prioritize it. Hard to say.

Chip might not get there, moving forward, he now might be able to mine the portal and be just fine. It's a different game in some ways now, and to sell a kid on his second time around, may not involve as much "smothering them with attention" that the current "social media" era of recruiting seems to require.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2021 at 8:14 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Helf was also the one who found Herbert... who was mostly injured that year.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:28 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Get over a game?  How dare you!  Dyer was down!

(Duckpop22 and I are friends!)

We have to get over that one. Gene Chizik says that God wanted them to win and blinded the back judge to the fact that Dyer was down. (Charles Fischer and I are friends as long as I call him Master and Commander on the phone.)

On 12/5/2021 at 8:25 PM, DuckIt said:

A friend of the Mariota family actually tipped off Helfrich and called on behalf of Marcus, because Oregon was his dream school.  Not too many scouts knew about MM, because he rode the bench until his senior year.  I wouldn't credit Helfrich with that find.

DuckIt, you may want to check your source on those comments.  Let's look at what articles quoting the two people involved have to say about it.  It's easy, just search "Helfrich recruiting Mariota".

The Mariota recruiting to Oregon process started with Helfrich watching film of St Louis High School's starter, Jeremy Higgins:

Ted Miller  ESPN Senior Writer 

EUGENE, Ore. -- It all started in the fall of 2010 when Mark Helfrich, then Oregon's offensive coordinator, found himself curiously captivated by game film of the backup quarterback for the Saint Louis School in Honolulu. He had been scouting starter Jeremy Higgins, but it was a corner route from the skinny, nameless substitute that most arched his evaluative eyebrow.

That pass -- "A rope," Helfrich effused -- was impressive, and Helfrich liked the way the guy moved around. Reminded him of Jake Plummer. So Helfrich called then-Ducks receivers coach Scott Frost into his office and asked him to watch the small handful of plays they had of this youngster. Helfrich wanted a second opinion because junior backup quarterbacks aren't typically pursued by Oregon. Frost confirmed to Helfrich that no, he wasn't crazy. The skinny kid looked as if he could run around and hurl the rock.

So a few months later, as the 2010 recruiting season seamlessly turned into the 2011 recruiting season, Helfrich found himself standing in the shadow of Diamond Head, Hawaii's iconic volcano, watching that skinny quarterback named Marcus Mariota, a nonentity among recruiting services, in spring practices. He was the fastest guy on the field, and the ball flew from his hand in that lively way that makes QB coaches swoon.

"I remember it like yesterday," said Helfrich, savoring a favorite and often-told story that doesn't seem to get old to him. "It was like a movie ...

"I called [then-Oregon head coach Chip Kelly] 15 or 20 plays into the deal and tell him, 'This guy is unbelievable.' And Chip's response was, 'Offer him.' That was the extent of that discussion."

As for Oregon being Mariota's "dream school", not so fast:

Marcus Mariota admits he almost committed to Washington Huskies over Oregon Ducks

Zachary Neel 

August 11, 2021 9:01 am PT

In a recent podcast interview with GoDucks’ Rob Moseley on the Mighty Oregon Podcast, Mariota broke down his recruitment between the two schools, and what ultimately led him to choose Oregon. Here is a snippet of the conversation:

Mariota: Well, I had been talking with Coach [Mark] Helfrich and Coach [Steve] Greatwood for a little bit before then, and they asked me to come up. They wanted me to basically show out your talents and your gifts to the coaching staff and kind of see where that went. It was funny because I took an unofficial visit to Washington the week before. You know, they offered me, I was excited, I was leaning towards going to Washington.

Moseley: Oof.

Mariota: I know!

Moseley: Painful thought.

Mariota: I know, that would have been… Life would have been very different.

I'm not saying you were not told that a friend of the family gave a tip about Mariota to the Duck staff.  I suspect recruiters get hundreds, maybe thousands of those tips every year.  Far too many to follow up.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:54 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

As for Oregon being Mariota's "dream school", not so fast:

I'm not saying you were not told that a friend of the family gave a tip about Mariota to the Duck staff.  I suspect recruiters get hundreds, maybe thousands of those tips every year.  Far too many to follow up.

I'm not sure what you are debating, in terms of MM's dream school.  I don't believe the question was addressed in the podcast. As published in SI, "Before Mariota left for the Ducks’ camp that summer, he confided in Arceneaux that Oregon was his dream school."

There are too many conflicting stories, to know exactly how everything played out, but I'll bet that it all started with Steve Greatwood being contacted, not Helfrich.  Greatwood was the Hawaii recruiter who presented MM to Helfrich.

https://www.si.com/college/2014/12/11/marcus-mariota-oregon-ducks-hawaii-heisman-trophy

In this SI article, it claims MM personally emailed Steve Greatwood who then requested his highlights film, which he passed along to Helfrich. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2015/05/before_marcus_mariotas_stardom.html

The Oregonian has a different take and credits Greatwood's friend/former St. Louis HS coach, Delbert Tengan for tipping Greatwood off on MM, during a recruiting visit to Oahu.  This article talks extensively about Tengan and Greatwood's friendship, and how it blossomed over the years, leading to MM's discovery by Oregon.  It briefly mentions Helfrich and his role.  Why you ask?  Because the writer is crediting these two and not Helfrich for finding MM and setting him on the path to Oregon.

Tengan is the one who advised Greatwood to come check out this backup QB, named Marcus Mariota.  Greatwood would later report back to Helfrich, which prompted Helfrich to review MM's film and fly out to Hawaii.

I also read another Hawaii article which was the basis for my reply.  Unfortunately, I can't find it.  It must have been referring to Tengan, as the family's friend, trying to spread the word about MM and generate interest from colleges.

According to the podcast, Mariota was already conversing with Greatwood and Helfrich, before he was invited to the Ducks camp.  Greatwood was the one who placed the call to Helfrich that got the ball rolling for Oregon.

I would trust the Andrew Greif, before I trust Ted Miller.  I doubt that he would just made up that whole story about Delbert Tengan.  If you believe the Oregonian article to be accurate, then all the other articles completely and conveniently left out, the instrumental role that Delbert Tengan and Greatwood played, in MM being recruited to Oregon. 

Without both Tengan and Greatwood, MM might have gone unnoticed by the Ducks and Helfrich.  Prior to Oregon offering, MM started only with an one offer from Memphis and then later UW.  It was only after MM committed to Oregon, that the offers started to pour in.