FishDuck Article

This Oregon Team Has A Promising Future

Oregon failed to redeem themselves against Utah last night. It was nothing short of a disaster and it showed how Anthony Brown is not the future of this team. However, this team has a whole lot of potential moving forward into 2022. This year Oregon has been plagued with injuries that has resulted in the Ducks inability to consistently start ...

Source

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

The whole idea is NOT to be a “wait ‘til next year!” Team.  It’s the “same old, same old”, and………I, for one……am disheartedly deeply disappointed in Cristobal’s continuing failure to get us past and over this hump.  I give him credit for effort, but, so far?…….. I don’t see the ability.  Not even a hint of it.

What’s the definition of insanity(and frustration)?   Doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.  USC faced that situation with Helton.  So…..they stopped doing the “same thing over and over again”.   Sorry to say it, but Methinks it’s time for us to do the same.

I appreciate your optimism David.  There are a lot of good young players on the Oregon team.  Much to look forward to in the coming seasons!

However your article raises a question that very few have addressed.  INJURIES.  Yes football is a physical game.  Oregon has had a huge number of injuries.

Is this an excuse?  Or are the injuries unavoidable?

A lot of injuries occur in practice.  Some of those during non-contact.  Question 1 -  are Oregon practices too physical?  I think I remember Pete Carroll practices were know for less physicality.

Do Oregon players get so beat up in practice they are more susceptible to injury? Some practices need physicality; but to what degree?

Question 2 - do the strength and conditioning sessions prepare the player's bodies for football?  Or do the sessions wear out the bodies making them more injury prone?  I simply don't remember these kind of numbers of injuries when Jim Radcliff was in charge.

Does anyone know?  This facet of the program is something the head coach or Athletic Director should examine.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/4/2021 at 8:23 AM, Smith72 said:

Does anyone know?  This facet of the program is something the head coach or Athletic Director should examine.

I certainly don't know for sure but I too am very concerned by the number of injuries during non-contact in practice. It's one thing to have a handful of injuries but it's another to have a high percentage of your entire team getting hurt like this.

I definitely think a much closer look into this is warranted. My personal theory is that it's a combination of too physical of practices and mostly that the training regiment focuses too much on power and too little on flexibility and ease of movement.

• Thumbs Up 3

Another voice that wonders if there is an over emphasis on power and mass rather than flexibility.  That was a point of emphasis with Jim Radcliff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks David.  I needed a Kool Aid chaser for my coffee this am.

The system on O is antiquated and not suited for today's game. Among other spot on questions asked by Herbie last night, where is the hurry up?

In today's game you are not going to smash mouth your way to the CFP. Mario needs a top down review of the program including S+C and game preparation. Oregon being up and down this season has been the manner in which the Ducks have played under Mario. Recruiting numbers do not matter if the talent is not coached up and the numbers do not mean talent will automatically show up on the field of play.

Look at the 2022 schedule. It will be one of the more difficult in the nation. You run the predictable O we have seen vs UGA in the 2022 opener and best of luck.

• Thumbs Up 3

David is exactly right.

Come on guys, the fans ups and downs this season are worse than Micah Pittmans.

At the beginning of the year EVERYONE would have taken a 10 win season and defeating Ohio State. That's exactly what we got. Enjoy it. The growth and play of the new guys throughout the year has been incredible. Because of injuries they have starters who normally would never even see the field.

Even a 25% increase in QB play would fix all woes. Brown just isn't very good. It is what it is and has been all season. It's a miracle they did as well as they did. Someone should get some credit?

Browns gone and we should use the off season for what it's for - hope for the future! The young players are really good!

Wishing for Radcliff and Helfritch? Like Paycheck & Cash, they ain't coming back. And I for one am glad they're gone. Time seems to make reality a little fuzzy, and it will with this seasons disappointments too.

Bassa, Sewell, Flowe, Cardwell, Thornton, Franklin, Motavoa, Magee, and many others.

Throw in vets like Dye, Williams, Bennett, Mckinnley(?), Wright(?), the entire O-line...

That's what it's about! No one knew who Darrin Thomas was until they were in the Natty! 

Go Ducks