cartm25

Most Troubling Quote from MC’s Presser?

Lot of coach-speak about Miami, but none of that bothered me the way this did:

“We went in there thinking a certain game plan would give us the best chance, and that’s what we went with, so we stuck with that decision.” - MC

Acknowledging something wasn’t working but, rather than adjusting, sticking with it anyway is the most revealing - and troubling - take-away from this presser. Why? Because . . . physicality?

• Thumbs Up 5

That type of stubbornness is probably one reason why Oregon has had such terrible 3rd qtr scoring. No 1/2 time adjustments. So is 

MC stubborn or a slow learner?

• Thumbs Up 2

MC is responsible, but you have to ask yourself about whether or not our OC and DC had any suggestions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:09 AM, cartm25 said:

Totally agree! But after 3+ years of MC at head coach, we see the exact same thing with different OC/DCs. Leads me to believe it’s more on MC than the coordinators.

Yes, the one constant variable is Cristobal so this is a logical conclusion.

Six primary coordinators (offensive and defensive) in five seasons??? Houston we have a problem.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/4/2021 at 7:59 AM, C J said:

Yes, the one constant variable is Cristobal so this is a logical conclusion.

Six primary coordinators (offensive and defensive) in five seasons??? Houston we have a problem.

Hey FishDuck, 

You mentioned that conversation with Cristobal this week.  Did you gather Cristobal was this stubborn?

My opinion is that they had NO plan at all.

I wonder if Mario is familiar with the phrase--Plan B?

With that said I am no fan of Mario ball.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

SSDD. Find someone who knows his butt from his elbow when it comes to offense in the 2020s. On talent alone, if recruits do not decommit, in this conference Mario will win 9 to 10 games. But the team will never be elite and the O will be put you to sleep boring.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 12/4/2021 at 6:51 AM, cartm25 said:

“We went in there thinking a certain game plan would give us the best chance, and that’s what we went with, so we stuck with that decision.” - MC

One thing about Bellotti was that he was willing to make changes, be it a scheme or a coach.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, Annie said:

One thing about Bellotti was that he was willing to make changes, be it a scheme or a coach.

Bellotti was a smart person -others not so much

Their were no words that MC said in his press conference that bother me. Words mean nothing.......

It's what he didn't say that is troubling. He should have said:

I just signed my contract extension with Oregon. 

That's all that needed saying. He didn't  Safe to say that everything is on the table.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Safe to say that everything is on the table.

Absolutely. It's pretty simple: if he were sure he was staying in Eugene he would say so. He hasn't said so.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

That was the one thing I was very happy to not hear him say. 

@Happyduckster i could not agree more. what he didn’t say speaks much louder. 

Edited by DR Hilarius

On 12/4/2021 at 9:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

SSDD. Find someone who knows his butt from his elbow when it comes to offense in the 2020s. On talent alone, if recruits do not decommit, in this conference Mario will win 9 to 10 games. But the team will never be elite and the O will be put you to sleep boring.

While I agree overall, Brown is so Helter Skelter it is difficult to find method to get him in a groove.

That said, I believe Morehead went with what he does best and UTAH WAS VERY PREPARED FOR IT.

Four the life of me, two that work the guy and we didn't figure out twenty to thirty plays the guy can execute?

Chip bragged about having 287 plays when he was here.  Four to ten million a year? You BETTER be using those 287 plays.   That's $13,937 for each play in your playbook.  GET TO WORK 

MAN I CHOSE THE WRONG CAREER.  

THERE'S GUYS GET PAID MILLIONS FOR BEING SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN AVERAGE.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well theirs that old saying....

Be careful what you wish for!

Consider that 6 P-12 schools couldn't get bowl eligible. I for one had more fun with 10-3 this year than the 4-8 and 7-6 years. For you newbies, those 2 years were brutal and without hope.

Only a handful of schools are Invitational worthy. Oregon is currently not one of them.

Udub fell into oblivion for 20 years because of bad coaching choices. Hired CP, rebuilt with great leadership and made invitational. Sure fell off quickly, IMHO.

I would rather MC stay. Then hire assistants who can in game coach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 6:51 AM, cartm25 said:

Acknowledging something wasn’t working but, rather than adjusting, sticking with it anyway is the most revealing - and troubling - take-away from this presser.

Exacty. But let's be honest with ourselves, this is who he is. He's demonstrated it  over and over again. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I would rather MC stay. Then hire assistants who can in game coach.

And loosen the reins a bit so they can coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, Mike West said:

THERE'S GUYS GET PAID MILLIONS FOR BEING SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN AVERAGE.

True that Mike, and what makes it worse is that they are getting this ridiculous amount of $$ from “Institutes of Higher Education.”

You’d think they would know better…

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario, please, you have an excellent group of tight ends which Utah didn’t pay much attention to the whole game. If I can see these guys running free and, I was watching from my couch,  the QB not even looking their way what does that say about our game plan. Especially when the utes tight ends were being used to perfection. In 2 games. Pay attention coaches.

Remind anyone of the Stanford teams of the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

You hit the nail right on the head HappyToBeADuck. A simple statement about his ongoing commitment to being Oregon's head coach was woefully lacking in all of the coach speak blather from his interview last night. Given that connected people like Colin Cowherd and others have heard from their sources that there indeed HAS been communication between Miami and either MC, or his "people", says to me that where there is smoke, there is fire.

I get the pull of Florida and the fact that, just like in Taggart's case, Cristobal is from there and has family and close friends there, and played football for The U. I'm sure Florida is a wonderful place unless it's hurricane season. I won't be surprised if he, like the prodigal son, returns to try and make good there. I get it. Oregon is my home and, no matter how far and wide my travels take me, my heart is always in Oregon.

Although Cristobal is still learning how to be a great coach, he has been a very good coach for Oregon. He isn't like Bellotti, Kelly, or Helfrich who all had skilled offensive minds and had Aliotti backing them up with "gang green" defense, but he wins A LOT more games than he loses; 10 wins is a pretty great season that 10 other Pac 12 schools would love to have had this season. 

I really liked, no LOVED, watching Kelly's basketball on grass offenses. Even in close games, you never lost hope knowing that your offense could score in under 2 minutes. That's not and probably never will be Cristobal's thing, but Cristobal's thing could still be a good thing for Oregon. He is learning and his team is very, very young this year. 

In spite of how terrible the game was last night, I see a huge upside with MC and with what he has started to build at Oregon. I truly hope he fights the urge to go home and signs the juicy deal Oregon has laid at his feet. I hope he finds a great, innovative OC, and that he finds a way to step back and let that person make Oregon's offense truly great again. Oregon has been blessed to have MC as their head football coach, and we would be blessed to have him continue coaching the team that we love.

Edited by latracey

On 12/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, latracey said:

I hope he finds a great, innovative OC, and that he finds a way to step back and let that person make Oregon's offense truly great again

Twice already that hasn't happened. Somebody mentioned in another thread that Utah's offense was exactly what Mario says he wants, and nobody is labeling Utah as innovative. Mario doesn't even know how to get what he wants, no matter OC's leave.

• Thumbs Up 5

I rarely take what radio and TV talking heads spout off as gospel. The more outrageous the more listeners or clicks.

Colin Cowheard misses more than he hits. He was spouting from reliable sources the Veneables was going to be hired by Oklahoma. Deal would be finished last Monday.

This time, his sources have a 50/50 chance of being right.

John Canzano mentioned yesterday that a group of boosters were flying in to potentially meet with Mario and his agent in Vegas.

Mario us definitely going to see his mother asap. The outcome may depend on whose private jet he takes back to Miami. The Miami boosters or Phil Knights. 

Either way MC is going to even be richer. One choice will make him more financially secure and held in high esteem. The other choice also more financially secure but a man without honor and integrity.

Not because he takes another job. That's fine. It's okay. But because he didn't have the courage, as a man, to at least say

I am going to look at the Miami job offer, weigh my choices, talk to my family and then make a decision..

Again its not what he said..... It's what he didn't say..

Thanks for all the great comments today. Great day to be a Duck.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2021 at 11:53 AM, cartm25 said:

Oh, the good old days when TEs were part of the passing game: Dickson, Paulson, Lyerla, Mundt, etc.

TEs were open last night. Brown wouldn't/couldn't trow to him.  Some how he never learned the simple principle that TEs are a QB's best friend.  Of course, Brown can't learn it if it is not taught......

Chick or egg:  Was Oregon's offense bad because of players or coaches?

Not sure if this link has been posted.  Direct info from Mario's presser.  Did not put any rumors to bed.

PODCAST: Oregon embarrassed again, Mario Cristobal rumors, and what the hell just happened (247sports.com)

On 12/4/2021 at 11:42 AM, 30Duck said:

Somebody mentioned in another thread that Utah's offense was exactly what Mario says he wants, and nobody is labeling Utah as innovative. Mario doesn't even know how to get what he wants, no matter OC's leave.

Hammer on the nail 30.

In four years, we haven't seen that kind of performance from MC's teams at all.

That actually speaks volumes.

Edited by Mike West
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the most troubling response from MC was the comment all but confirming he is just waiting for Miami to get the offer he wants.  The 'nobody has spoken to me' is the non-denial denial that coaches make when they are in discussions with another program to leave.

He very likely is not lying.  But he is being deceptive.  Miami is talking to his agent who in turn is talking to his client, MC.  

There was a comment made earlier about not hiring coaches from FL which, while somewhat tongue in cheek, might be a good principle at a macro level.  When coaches are open about their 'dream jobs' and those jobs are the other side of the country, they are, in essence, putting out to that school that they are super ready to go if and when a call is made.  They have success at Oregon and lo and behold, that school magically targets our coach. 

I want a coach who wants to build a powerhouse and sees Oregon as the place to do it.  West coast ties really help because they aren't 'homesick' for another part of americana.  They have no sentimental pull from a part of the world that is very different than the west coast let alone the PNW.

Kiffin fits that profile, as one example.

I rarely take what radio and TV talking heads spout off as gospel. The more outrageous the more listeners or clicks.

Colin Cowheard misses more than he hits. He was spouting from reliable sources the Veneables was going to be hired by Oklahoma. Deal would be finished last Monday.

This time, his sources have a 50/50 chance of being right.

John Canzano mentioned yesterday that a group of boosters were flying in to potentially meet with Mario and his agent in Vegas.

Mario us definitely going to see his mother asap. The outcome may depend on whose private jet he takes back to Miami. The Miami boosters or Phil Knights. 

Either way MC is going to even be richer. One choice will make him more financially secure and held in high esteem. The other choice also more financially secure but a man without honor and integrity.

Not because he takes another job. That's fine. It's okay. But because he didn't have the courage, as a man, to at least say

I am going to look at the Miami job offer, weigh my choices, talk to my family and then make a decision..

Again its not what he said..... It's what he didn't say..

Thanks for all the great comments today. Great day to be a Duck.