Darren Perkins

Ducks Must Start Ty Thompson in Bowl Game or Forfeit

Could there ever be a less motivated team in a bowl game than these Ducks? Lost playoff dreams, then lost rose bowl dreams, KT will sit out and probably others. Oh, and we could be playing with an interim coach. The Ducks will look way worse than the 2017 Las Vegas Bowl.

(And remember, as of right now, due to the MC uncertainty, the Alamo is no lock. Bowls hate interim coaches.) 

The ONLY thing that will garner interest from the Oregon side is a new QB. Plus, it only makes frickin sense. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Yes, this made sense a long time ago. This IS the way.

Did Mario stick with AB hoping to win as many games as he could this year to improve his resume? Hope not, but it makes you wonder. He should of been playing for a playoff spot next year or more likely in 2023. Did he not play the long game for a reason?

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Alamo Bowl 2015

Excluding OT

With Vernon Adams: Ducks 31 - TCU 0

Without Vernon Adams: Ducks 0 - TCU 31

Same O, same D...different QB

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:56 AM, nw777b said:

Alamo Bowl 2015

Excluding OT

With Vernon Adams: Ducks 31 - TCU 0

Without Vernon Adams: Ducks 0 - TCU 31

I take it you think the Ducks should stick with Brown? I see an apples to oranges comparison. This year we have talented "the future of the program" backups, in 2015 there was nobody behind Vernon. Vernon always played well in 2015, Brown not so much this year, to where people have calling for Thompson.  

May as well get started on the future in a meaningless bowl game and have a qb get some snaps in before facing Geogia next year. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

It’s obvious MC was not planning for the future by playing AB as much as he did this season. All the freshman QBS playing for quality teams in the NCAA leads me to believe MC doesn’t think he has his guy and that the rating services are all wrong.

2 four star

1 five star

All sitting on his bench.

Is he a 1 trick pony?

• Thumbs Up 1

Anthony Brown had a QBR rating of 7.7 yesterday not 77 but 7.7.  Has Mario explained why he did not replace AB? Can anyone explain why Mario did not replace AB? With Moorhead headed out the door I doubt that he had any input to this decision.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 8:19 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Anthony Brown had a QBR rating of 7.7 yesterday not 77 but 7.7.  Has Mario explained why he did not replace AB? Can anyone explain why Mario did not replace AB? With Moorhead headed out the door I doubt that he had any input to this decision.

Or perhaps he did and just didn't care, or worse.  I haven't seen anything positive from him regarding UO or Eugene.  I saw an interview, probably pre-season, where he was asked about living in Eugene and he struggled before finally giving a lukewarm answer.  Was the performance last night a proverbial middle finger?

We know by now that Mario is not a "Think outside of the box" type guy. After the Ducks beat OH. ST. with AB at quarterback he wasn't going to take him out. As the season went on, and Oregon was still in the CFP, he wasn't going to take out his senior QB, and replace him with a freshman. 

But, I agree with Darren now, get TT some gametime, for him, the team, or talk about insanity, how many of us expect a different result from this team?

The discord between AB and the rest of the offense is as obvious as night and day. 

This team just might be a playoff team with a qb who could throw consistently over 5 yds. AB did what Cristobal wanted, the problem, everyone else expected more.

If Moorhead goes to Akron it speaks volumes. Akron is one of the worst team in college football. Has an Oregon OC ever left to go to such a poor program, he was running not walking from our offense. 

5wmjah.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 8:18 AM, Just Ducky said:

It’s obvious MC was not planning for the future by playing AB as much as he did this season. All the freshman QBS playing for quality teams in the NCAA leads me to believe MC doesn’t think he has his guy and that the rating services are all wrong.

2 four star

1 five star

Is he a 1 trick pony?

Had the same thought.  Ty has only played in 3 I've read?  Doesn't burn the redshirt to bowl with Ty.  Butterfield same.  Abd...do we contact Rattler about winter term in Eugene starting in about 4 weeks?  A lot of true freshman QBs going off accross college football...if that rating is legit at the D1 level

On 12/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, Just Ducky said:

2 four star

1 five star

Is he a 1 trick pony?

If there is a long term plan under Mario IMO it has yet to be revealed?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/4/2021 at 8:08 AM, Darren Perkins said:

I take it you think the Ducks should stick with Brown? I see an apples to oranges comparison. This year we have talented "the future of the program" backups, in 2015 there was nobody behind Vernon. Vernon always played well in 2015, Brown not so much this year, to where people have calling for Thompson.  

May as well get started on the future in a meaningless bowl game and have a qb get some snaps in before facing Geogia next year. 

I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion based on the info provided.  With a good QB, the Ducks thrived. With a bad QB, the Ducks tanked -- like last night.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 8:19 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

I saw that,  too. 

The only thing that makes sense is that the backups are spectacularly bad. It is inconceivable that they would have left AB out there if the coaching staff believed they had anyone else remotely ready to play. It’s demoralizing for the whole team, and almost cruel to just let him flounder like that. Got to imagine we’re looking at another transfer next year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We have to think about next season and continuing to develop Anthony, oh yea, he is gone next season. Why are we continuing to give AB reps?

The bigger question is, are none of the highly touted qb's better than AB? They, supposedly have been given more reps in practice than AB to keep him healthy. If none of these guys give us a better chance we are in a world of hurt next season.

The OC leaving and the continued use of AB are canaries in the coal mine indicators there is something very wrong with our offense. Charles has been blowing the warning horn about our offense for a while, and it is getting much louder in my opinion after the last few weeks.

5wmsch.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2021 at 7:56 AM, nw777b said:

we can’t forget it was a diff center as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:27 AM, DR Hilarius said:

Thank you. I did forget that and know there were most likely other player differences,  but I believe the QB play had the biggest impact in that game than any other position. 

On 12/4/2021 at 10:31 AM, nw777b said:

I believe the QB play had the biggest impact

i agree. VA was a gigantic impact in every game. if only AB were VA…

• Thumbs Up 1

Bring back Dakota Prukop!

• Haha 2

On 12/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, DR Hilarius said:

if only AB were VA…

The Ducks wouldn't have been DOA?

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:27 AM, DR Hilarius said:

Painful memory. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 8:08 AM, Darren Perkins said:

But it's almost an insult to  Brown for being who he's been all year.

I saw Oklahoma State play two QBs in the first half.  I say get the backup started be giving him a drive or two.  

In fact, is get both backups some time.  Honor Brown for his accomplishments,  display the backups so they see what they need to work on. 

I'd never be a coach because I don't think inside that box they ask seem to stay in (why u don't know).

My plan if I'm Mullens is to let MC go to Miami. Stop Moorehead from going to Akron (Akron, SERIOUSLY?! Nothing says, "GET ME OUTTA HERE" like taking the Akron job) by making him the head coach and then getting a really really good Defensive coordinator.

I know some people think DeRotorooter did a great job. I thought our defense (but not because of the players) was middling at best and less than that when KT was out.  We couldn't cover anybody.

Guest KingT

I understand the allure to put in a QB we've never seen, but the track record of 19 year old college QBs is not good. 

Oregon Offense was rated mid 50s this year and Defense low 60s, nationally. My hunch is Coaches didn't feel either Ty or Butters were ready. I suspect Butters will transfer out today or tmrw. Either way, I'm sure if Mario does stay, which I doubt, he will play Ty quite a bit in the Bowl game.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, jrw said:

Bring back Dakota Prukop!

Ha! I just read he has been a 3rd and 4th string QB in Canada. 

Mario wouldn’t want to risk TT if TT is following him to Miami.

For what it's worth:

P-12 coaching is weak. In OOC games the PAC got schooled by G5 and 1-FCS coaching staffs. Over the last few years the PAC has embarrassed itself in bowl games.

Mario simply out recruited them and the talent difference helped over come.......

OUR COACHING DEFICIENCIES..  

KW and his staff are not weak.. DS and the Stanford staff are not weak.. They game plan and adjust the plan during the game.....

And their schools stuck with them..

I won't make excuses for our selfish (looking elsewhere) coaches and their coach speak. They gave up an important life element  (self respect)  Its not entitled. As coaches you let your players, fans and yourself down.

As for the players:

Hats off and congratulations.  You thrived thru multiple injuries, key injuries and underwhelming coaching. You gave Oregon one of its greatest OOC road wins at the shoe. Very proud of you......

FYI: Utah had almost 40 players who were 4th thru 6th year players. This was an experienced team. Some of those players were return missionaries who started college at age 21. Lots of experience and maturity. Utah had men on the field.

We had mostly boys. Oregon has over 50, true freshmen, covid freshmen, redshirt and sophomore redshirt players play this season. Lots of lessons learned.

Stay at Oregon and we can all watch you grow and mature into men.

Thru my tears  I will say it's great to be a Duck.

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:08 PM, nw777b said:

Ha! I just read he has been a 3rd and 4th string QB in Canada. 

Darron Thomas and J-Mazz aren't gunna be driving that Cadillac into the Autzen parking lot any time soon .... 

On 12/4/2021 at 11:21 AM, Pocketchange said:

Mario wouldn’t want to risk TT if TT is following him to Miami.

Why on earth would TT want to follow MC anywhere? I don't think hand offs and 2 yard checkdown passes are what he has in mind for his college career.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, nw777b said:

I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion based on the info provided.  With a good QB, the Ducks thrived. With a bad QB, the Ducks tanked -- like last night.

Ah, ok, I misread the point u were making. 👍

On 12/5/2021 at 10:25 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Ah, ok, I misread the point u were making. 👍

No worries.  I often don't finish my thought to drive the point home clearly. 

Example

Me: I don't like Escargot.

Wife: What's your point?

Edited by nw777b
  • Haha 1

Considering the Ducks will probably have a new coach for the game I would think the new HC may want to see his new talent on the field. 

What if we put Nate Costa in a uniform and say he's Butterfield?

Strong possibility we are going to play Oklahoma and we are going to need scoring---