BigDucksFan

Whats the gameplay for the Fiesta Bowl ??

One of the advantages the Ducks had during the Pac-12 championship game was the many new looks presented by the offense. The actual plays were not new but the look confused USC and the Ducks took advantage of it. The one I liked was a player running around like a jack rabbit pre-snap. Not just "in motion" but like a rabbit being chased by a fox and setting down "who knows where". Great eye confusion for the defense. 🐇

Can the Ducks do even more changes in the pre-snap look of the plays for Iowa to contemplate during the upcoming bowl game ??

Against USC we did use a lot less of the pistol. Still more than I would like personally but we frequently saw the runningback line up in the shotgun and run out of the shotgun.

So personally I would like to see more of that. What I did enjoy about the pre-snap movement was that it would cross the field but the player often stopped and switched directions. It felt like the stopped and ran back the way the came more than a full motion across the field. I would like to see it mixed up a bit more just to make the opposing defense uncomfortable.

I don’t mind the Pistol if it is used properly.  As in to close out a team (“with physicality “ as our stubborn leader proclaims).

Mario Cristobal wants to wear down an opponent.  I’m fine with that as long as he wears down their minds from the annihilation they experience as the offense drops more than forty points by the end of the third quarter.  You know, like he claimed he would do in the first place.

Hopefully the game plan is to make Iowa State dizzy from confusion and a barrage of points.  Sir Joe Moorehead is the kind of guy that can unleash that type of offense.  I hope Cristobal demands it.  And gets out of the way.  I frankly never want to see a seven point victory for the rest of my life (and while I’m fantasizing here, why not add no more losses for life either...lol).

We will some new variations I'm sure. And more of the new stuff we just saw vs. USC.

But will we see any Go Go, up tempo or heavy sets? Wildcat against the Cyclones anyone?

It's a good defense for ISU, so smashmouth and guerilla tactics will be the order of the day on Jan. 2nd.

On 12/23/2020 at 6:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Seriously (?) - Iowa State is almost always in its base 3-3-5 D, that HC Campbell adopted to help against the B12 prolific passing attacks. Lots of shifting, motion and an active QB help against this D.

This D prior to the B12 champ game was 2nd in the country in red zone D at 44%, And the D basically shut the OK O down in the 2nd half of the B12 champ game. 

Cyclones QB Brock Purdy threw away his team's chances to wing this game with 3 costly interceptions.

Then let's hope Oregon can force some turnovers. Iowa State has been good but they haven't been dominant.

Oregon needs KT to get lose and force some errant throws. It is what happened against USC where Slovis began chucking the ball downfield and the results were three interceptions. 

We saw what happens in the pac-12.championship game when the whole defense is working together. If that continues and the offense steps up... This is an Oregon win. 

On 12/22/2020 at 7:38 AM, Mike West said:

I don’t mind the Pistol if it is used properly.  As in to close out a team (“with physicality “ as our stubborn leader proclaims).

Mario Cristobal wants to wear down an opponent.  I’m fine with that as long as he wears down their minds from the annihilation they experience as the offense drops more than forty points by the end of the third quarter.  You know, like he claimed he would do in the first place.

Hopefully the game plan is to make Iowa State dizzy from confusion and a barrage of points.  Sir Joe Moorehead is the kind of guy that can unleash that type of offense.  I hope Cristobal demands it.  And gets out of the way.  I frankly never want to see a seven point victory for the rest of my life (and while I’m fantasizing here, why not add no more losses for life either...lol).

Its hard to wear down your opponent when you go 3 and out as was the way it was when we use the Pistol. 

I am hoping to see more use of Sean Dollars in space. Maybe some option read type plays with Anthony Brown and Dollars? I would also like to see Moorhead get the ball to Dollars in some short pass situations.

I also hope to see the tight ends used in the flats as well as some screen plays that should take advantage of what I believe will be a very aggressive attack from ISU. 

On defense I hope Avalos (if he is still our coach) brings the house on 3rd and long and makes Purdy make accurate throws with a ton of pressure on him. I believe he will make some mistakes under this approach. I will be looking for a pick six from Lenoir in this one.

I agree with everyone else though.........less pistol plunges and more of anything else please.