Charles Fischer

Best Recruiting Assistant Coaches in Pac-12 by Rank

Ok, I am surprised at what I see below, and while they credit all the great offensive linemen to Mirabal....I think a certain head coach was much more influential?

And Mastro must be doing this at other positions other than running back?

Ken Wilson is a surprise; is it really him at the linebacker position or others in support like Mirabal that are getting the recruiting done? 

And I am not surprised at the No. 1 recruiter--he's good.

There are 96 assistant coaches in the conference, and Oregon has four in the top ten in recruiting?  Pretty impressive...

Noah Sewell_UO Athletics.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Surprised to see Jim Mastro on the list. Must be the only reason he's on the payroll. 

• Like 1

I always chuckle to myself, having grown up like many of us back in the tough days of Oregon football, because every time I see an article about a fantastic recruit wanting to come to Oregon, the back part of my brain says "wait for the NCAA recruiting sanctions to come down."

Different times, different expectations.

Given the way this group of coaches is getting top-level recruits to commit to Oregon from all over the country, and assuming they are not cheating (knock on wood) I am not surprised to see so many assistants on that list.

Remember back when Notre Dame was the main school from east of the Rockies poaching top West Coast talent? That seems like a thing in my memory anyway.

Now we are poaching other people's players!

17 minutes ago, FishIceCream said:

Now we are poaching other people's players!

Yes, and isn't it great to see ?? It certainly is about time. 

An awesome fact that I found out about Coach Mastro, from our friends at Duck Territory, is that he was the playcaller when Oregon scored 77 against Nevada last season.

12 minutes ago, Coach Eric Boles said:

An awesome fact that I found out about Coach Mastro, from our friends at Duck Territory, is that he was the playcaller when Oregon scored 77 against Nevada last season.

Awesome and surprising!  Thanks for passing that along...

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Coach Eric Boles said:

Most interesting... I think Mastro is a good coach as his previous stops have shown some pretty good runningbacks. 

Oregon needs some nice big fast backs. In real need of a Royce Freeman type. I like Cardwell as a bigger back and his speed seems good. 

Other big thing that is really worth mentioning about Oregon v USCs recruiting classes is that Oregon's is a pretty well rounded with an incredible offensive line class where USC has 2 quarterbacks, some Recievers and quite a few secondary players but it isnt well rounded. 

USC really lacks the beef on the lines. Picking up Foreman helps them in that regard but Oregon has something far more consistent. 

1 hour ago, Coach Eric Boles said:

An awesome fact that I found out about Coach Mastro, from our friends at Duck Territory, is that he was the play caller when Oregon scored 77 against Nevada last season.

...and I don't think anyone complained about MC's interference that game??

Mastro is listed as the primary recruiter for Troy Franklin and Moliki Matavao, which makes sense since Nevada and NorCal are territories he’s familiar with and those recruitments began before we had hired Moorhead or McClendon. Mastro is also listed as the primary for Seven McGee, although he’s been committed since the last ice age Mastro took over. 

The 247 recruiter rankings aren’t great. For one, they don’t list head coaches. While the assistants do the bulk of the recruiting, we know Mario does the OL and swoops in for the higher profile guys or as needed.

For Mastro, I’m as unhappy as anyone with the lack of star power at RB but we have to remember that we’ve yet to see any of his backs - Benson is the first, and he wound up with a leg injury. It has also been lean times for RB recruits west of Texas. How lean? This year Byron Cardwell is the only composite 4-star RB, I’m excluding all purpose backs/scatbacks like McGee since we’ve gotten those.

For the 2020 class by here was one 5-star and one 4-star RB, Trey Benson would have been the next highest ranked RB. It is Oregon, and we do go national in recruiting so that isn’t a perfect excuse but it does show how difficult it’s been to find those elite backs. It’s cyclical, and 2021 is looking better than the past three years. On Mastro’s coaching, both Dye and Verdell have surpassed what could be expected of them.

I’m tired of watching CJ run into the backs of linemen, but Travis was really good this year. Fun fact about Baby Dye: in his class he was the 50th ranked RB, and the last time I checked, out of the 49 ranked ahead of him only OSU’s Jermar Jefferson has rushed for more yards thus far.