palmdawg43

Which Coaches are Left if Mario Leaves?

If christobal leaves who are y’all’s thoughts on who to hire away? Been thinking about that a lot today and haven’t seen any suggestions or ideas on who that would be 

Head is spinning too much right now to even think about it.

I just know we are not going to jump into the Lake.

• Haha 1

I think the Freeman hire by Notre Dame was brilliant. He needs to have connections with assistant coaches, but I say we go with a young, brilliant, high energy guy.

Matt Erntz fits the bill, and hire a young offensive guru to run the offense. Much like we did when hiring Leavitt when the defense was a wreck. The problem too many don't seem to see the offense as the wreck it is.

If we reset that is the way I would see benefiting us the most. Defensive head coach, then turn somebody loose on the offense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Without a doubt, I would hire Lane Kiffin.  He's clearly grown as a coach since his disastrous stint at USC.  I think his time with Saban was a real growth period and what he has done with Mississippi is testament to that.

While his personality many not be for everyone, I get the sense the players love him.  Also, he knows how to develop a QB which, to date, has been a material question around MC.  There are undoubtedly mitigating reasons for this, but it is a huge unknown and a material liability if, in fact, proves to be an accurate assessment.

• Thumbs Up 2

I say they let us rotate posters from fishduck in each week as HC just to see what happens 🤔

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wilcox and Musgrave?

Kiffin?

Fickell?

Jamey Chadwell?

Whittingham?

Offer any of these guys $7 million and we have a new and in my opinion better coach then the one we currently have. Recruiting may drop off but I don't care. Not to be a broken record but I would much rather watch 3* guys give 110% and score a lot of points then continue to watch what we have seen for four seasons now.

On 12/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, deschutesduck said:

I say they let us rotate posters from fishduck in each week as HC just to see what happens 🤔

I nominate Mike West!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/4/2021 at 3:39 PM, CalBear95 said:

Without a doubt, I would hire Lane Kiffin.  He's clearly grown as a coach since his disastrous stint at USC.  I think his time with Saban was a real growth period and what he has done with Mississippi is testament to that.

While his personality many not be for everyone, I get the sense the players love him.  Also, he knows how to develop a QB which, to date, has been a material question around MC.  There are undoubtedly mitigating reasons for this, but it is a huge unknown and a material liability if, in fact, proves to be an accurate assessment.

Ducks can afford him since there is a nine figure pile of cash on the table for Mario. Just have to cater to his ego.

All of the coaches have massive egos but I will grant you Lane's is likely on the higher side.

For those who advocate Fickell as a target, have you learned nothing from the past two hires?  Same goes for Campbell.  They are midwest guys and will always have a strong desire to take good jobs 'where their heart is.'  Stop the insanity! 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:20 PM, CalBear95 said:

For those who advocate Fickell as a target, have you learned nothing from the past two hires?  Same goes for Campbell.  They are midwest guys and will always have a strong desire to take good jobs 'where their heart is.'  Stop the insanity! 🙂

Yes, a good point here. 

For that reason I think Wilcox and Musgrave are great potential hires to consider. 

On 12/4/2021 at 7:20 PM, cartm25 said:

Can someone fill me in on Musgrave the coach. I understand he’s Duck royalty, but that’s the only context I know him in. It worries me that I haven’t heard about his coaching success. Is this more a sentimental pick, or am I missing something?

He's moved around a lot. That's all I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kiffin got his new contract at Ole Miss, $7.5 million annually.

I hope we are only replacing our OC, and wouldn’t mind taking the one from Alabama for either the OC or HC position.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:20 PM, CalBear95 said:

All of the coaches have massive egos but I will grant you Lane's is likely on the higher side.

Chip Kelly had a massive ego as well. Loved how he won though!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow these are all solid posts. So many pros and cons.

I agree that the Midwest guys will stay put. Fickell for sure. May be Campbell moves because this roster is loaded for 3 solid years. Kiffin is adored and understood at Ole Miss.

West coast coaches are not impressive. Best choice of young guys may have gone to Washington?

I hope MC stays and Phil and Penny are still on board. If so, let's take advantage of the weak members in the PAC. Find the very best, innovative, young OC and pay him $3 to $4 million a year. Make a splash hire and raise the bar.

Make Oregon the desired young coaching destination. Give them a life changing money contract. And please MC, let em coach. Turn em loose.....

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill Musgrave is OC QB coach for Cal Bears.   2 years as Raiders OC. and 2 For Denver Broncos

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I read an article a couple of minutes ago that Ole Miss just renewed Lane Kiffin's contract. He is signed, sealed, delivered and off of the table. 

Hiring a new coach is such a hard thing to do at this point in the time with so many openings having already come up and been filled. I can't imagine anyone already on the Oregon's existing football staff being promoted to head coach. That said, given the rumblings about Miami, I hope he's started at least considering candidates. Especially given the news reported today by ESPN that a University of Oregon official familiar with the situation puts Cristobal staying or leaving as a 50/50 coin toss.

Canzano Tweeted that he thinks Oregon will go after Chip. To me, that would be like reconnecting with your high school girlfriend at your 20 year reunion and the only thing you have in common is a divorce. 

Chip doesn’t like to do the things that Mario does well. Recruiting and pressing the flesh with boosters isn’t his thing. However, he would no longer be shackled by just recruiting kids who could qualify academically at UCLA. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

Chris Petersen. History at Oregon, proven.  At a minimum, it would excite the fan base and bring fear to conference opponents. Especially one up north.    

• Thumbs Up 1

I think if's a foregone conclusion that Cristabol is leaving based on the way the team played in the championship game tells a story. Also for Mario not to bench Brown in the 2nd half for Ty Thompson or Butterfield if a burning Ty's redshirt was an issue is also perplexing? Either way it showed me something was off as it was a no brainer for any coach not sit Brown. My thought is to get a an Oregon guy to lead us moving forward. I would look to Petersen if he's ready for a come back or Josh Wilcox.

Those two coaches are who I would focus on. The last thing I want to point out is to me Mario Cristabol is now damaged goods for is lack of clarity and in my opinion loyalty for not giving a more convincing statement when asked the question if the rumors are true about Miami? Either way he knew Oregon was going to pay him so he can't call it a business decision. He's gone!!!

Nick Rolovich, former WSU, the Coach the State of Washington terminated for all the wrong reasons, laid the groundwork for the Cougars success in 2021. He is a principled fellow and a solid coach.   

On 12/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, Duck 68 said:

Nick Rolovich, former WSU, the Coach the State of Washington terminated for all the wrong reasons, laid the groundwork for the Cougars success in 2021. He is a principled fellow and a solid coach.   

He would get the same treatment from Oregon students that Greg Schiano got from Tennessee students. 

Joe Brady needs to be our number 1 priority should MC leave.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:03 AM, LilyDog said:

Chris Petersen. History at Oregon, proven.  At a minimum, it would excite the fan base and bring fear to conference opponents. Especially one up north.    

I think Petersen is a great coach and high integrity guy but question whether he still has the requisite fire in the belly.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:16 AM, Duck 68 said:

Seriously?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 12:39 PM, CalBear95 said:

Didn’t he just get a new contract? But I agree he would fit. 

On 12/5/2021 at 9:13 AM, Just Ducky said:

Didn’t he just get a new contract? But I agree he would fit. 

He did.  When I wrote the comment that news had yet to break.

Oregon is going to be the last school looking for a coach and only the dregs are left (I say that with the assumption Aranda won't leave Baylor).  This is what happens when another program is fixated on landing your coach, is willing to ride or die with that regardless of how long it takes and you make the title game.  In many ways, Oregon could have really benefitted to having Wazzu taking the title and letting this drama play out last week when they would have had an opportunity to at least be in the mix for other top candidates.

Now that I am on my soapbox, how about one of these days a program like Oregon starts looking for other coaches in parallel with another coach 'listening' to other offers?'  Why should the program be expected to just sit back and await the coach to decide if he is going to put them at a serious disadvantage?  In fact, I would be totally cool with the university 'accidentally' letting that kind of news leak. 

"Mr Coach, you can't publicly commit to us by signing our very generous extension - or being super coy - so why are your feelings in any way hurt when I am doing the same to you?  According to you Mr Coach, it's all a business and if you want to operate by that framing, then this is exactly how the world of business works.' 

In a situation like this where 'my heart is in Miami,' how about an exploding offer AHEAD of the championship game or even the last week of the season?  Leak that too.  At that point, you are letting Miami know they don't have to bid against someone else and you have, in essence, put the question to MC (and effectively received the answer) well before you get stuck in this game of 'are we hosed or not?'  You might say that forces MC out but it really doesn't.  If he is 'I want to wait and see what Miami comes with' then you know he is gone so why play that game?  You aren't forcing him out.  You are forcing him to stop toying with you.

That approach also has the benefit of cutting the negotiating leverage out from under MC as a wonderful parting gift.

I'm kinda fired up 🙂

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, CalBear95 said:

He did.  When I wrote the comment that news had yet to break.

Oregon is going to be the last school looking for a coach and only the dregs are left (I say that with the assumption Aranda won't leave Baylor).  This is what happens when another program is fixated on landing your coach, is willing to ride or die with that regardless of how long it takes and you make the title game.  In many ways, Oregon could have really benefitted to having Wazzu taking the title and letting this drama play out last week when they would have had an opportunity to at least be in the mix for other top candidates.

Now that I am on my soapbox, how about one of these days a program like Oregon starts looking for other coaches in parallel with another coach 'listening' to other offers?  Why should the program be expected to just sit back and await the coach to decide if he is going to put them at a serious disadvantage?  In fact, I would be totally cool with the university 'accidentally' letting that kind of news leak.  "You can't publicly commit to us by signing an extension - or being super coy - so why are your feelings in any way hurt when I am doing the same to you?  According to you Mr Coach, it's all a business and if you want to operate by that framing, then this is exactly how the world of business works.'

Bravo, sir!

On 12/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, CalBear95 said:

I'm kinda fired up

Love your posts!

Mr. FishDuck