Charles Fischer

Offensive Coordinator Replacement: Your Thoughts?

Don't forget that we had a great article this week about candidates, (below) and let's hear yours!

Seven Offensive Coordinator Candidates for Oregon by Coach Eric Boles of FishDuck

Jeff-Lebby-2.jpg

You know a good interim coach could be Coach Mike Bellotti?

Oregon's Bellotti, Aliotti don't duck praising their UCD pedigree - Davis  Enterprise

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Who is calling the plays? The OC or Mario?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:47 PM, VegasDuck said:

Who is calling the plays? The OC or Mario?

Heard Oregon put a huge contract in front of MC. Heard it's on par the other contracts signed recently. Possibly 95k-110k. Makes me think Morehead was told his services were not needed.  Why else would he leave Oregon for Akron.  And "head coaching job" reasoning is garbage.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:56 PM, cartm25 said:

MARK HELFRICH -

Cons - Well, I can imagine the pushback I’ll get, but I still like the idea 🙂

I feel Oregon burned that bridge, not Mark.

I am good with bringing Helfrich back as OC.

How about Bill Musgrave?

Whoever it is I hope they want to throw it at least 40 times per game.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 2:05 PM, nw777b said:

I feel Oregon burned that bridge, not Mark.

He is still an Oregon guy. The idea is interesting but I don't see it happening. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I seem to remember Helfrich had a hard time coaching up QBs not named Marcus Mariota.

I like the idea of Musgrave probably not Helfrich just because of the ex-coach weirdness.

If the legendary Musgrave came back home, I would be ecstatic. The guy has the experience and pride in program few would. I could see him being the next in line too.

I tend to think Mario will be gone at some point, we need an Oregon guy ready. I don't know too much about Musgrave other than he has had lots of experience and came back to the college game, get him!

5wnjuc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps Nate Costa could be considered?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think we need a coach in waiting. I tend to think, hope, Mario has a longterm plan. Win it all and then move on to Miami. 

If so Mario is 51, plenty of time to build it and win.  The main thing we need is a great OC and one who can step in when Mario leaves. We don't have this and it would be a mess if Mario left right now.

Helfrich isn't a head coach, hasn't done anything to up his game in that department. I think Musgrave is angling to get a head coaching job, CAL isn't the place to build that resume. Oregon, a revolving door from OC to head coach. That has to be a very appealing aspect of the job which is open.

• Thumbs Up 1

Warren Ruggiero - Wake Forest OC

Zach Kittley - Western Kentucky OC

Mark Whipple - Pitt OC

All 3 have top 5 scoring offenses this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Helfrich was slacking, letting too many things slide, like the players' workouts.  We don't need that type of weak mentality and discipline.  Those only lead to bad habits and bad results.

On 12/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, C J said:

How about Bill Musgrave?

This guy seems to have a loyalty deficiency considering his son who is dang good TE, plays for the rodents...

On 12/4/2021 at 3:47 PM, DuckFan93 said:

This guy seems to have a loyalty deficiency considering his son who is dang good TE, plays for the rodents...

Nephew, not recruited by Oregon. He is a very good football player, and Oregon native.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, Haywarduck said:

not recruited by Oregon.

= should have been recruited by Oregon.

Speaking of tight ends........what in the heck happened to our historic use of tight ends? They are glorified line men at this point it seems. But even under Cristobal in the past few years they were being thrown to more than at any point this season.

Edited by C J

Theres the old saying -if you can beat em join em. 

If the Ducks are willing to offer MC 7plus mil a year why not go after a true winner? ---money where mouth is ? 

There has to be another offensive guru out there somewhere.

Joey Harrington for Quarterback Coach!!!

On 12/4/2021 at 1:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

Heard Oregon put a huge contract in front of MC. Heard it's on par the other contracts signed recently. Possibly 95k-110k. Makes me think Morehead was told his services were not needed.  Why else would he leave Oregon for Akron.  And "head coaching job" reasoning is garbage.

I think the offer to MC came after it was already a done deal for Moorhead to Akron.  It was a response to Miami speculation.  MC stays, he needs sla good OC, and needs to let whoever he is have the reigns 

On 12/4/2021 at 4:51 PM, C J said:

= should have been recruited by Oregon.

Speaking of tight ends........what in the heck happened to our historic use of tight ends? They are glorified line men at this point it seems. But even under Cristobal in the past few years they were being thrown to more than at any point this season.

Gitta have a QB who can throw better...

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

Every hire Mario has made has been an upgrade. I expect to see a very good OC come in this year (provided Mario sticks).

Mark Helfrich with Frost was able to dial up winning combinations to defeat defenses, same looks different variations.  Remember FSU Rose Bowl to meet Ohio St in First CFPNCG.  This job requires letting your Coordinators, Plan and execute, making in game adjustments.

I believe, that Helfrich as OC could take Oregon Talent and find a cure for what ails us.  Adjusting, in game, to defenses posture.  Do not allow how a person was unable to perform a job, define their ability to be a good coach.  Maybe not as a Head Coach.  Not everyone can be a Chief. 

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end, Mario."  "Change, of OC, is the essential process of all existence."  And I think he may have added "Do I have to do a Vulcan Mind Meld on your ass too" - Spock to MarioI may have translated or taken liberties with some of the fictitious parts.

There was much too much consumption of alcohol as the wheels fell off.  And through my drunken stupor I may have had an out of body experience where Captain Kirk said " Our species, Ducks, can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome.  You remove those obstacles.  Without them and Aaron Feld to strengthen us, we will weaken and die."

Go Ducks, Do Not Weaken and Die, Nanu-Nanu!

Edited by EzDucksIt
researched quotes, with embellishments

Andy Ludwig from Utah. He makes $855K this year. Oregon has a bigger budget for assistant coaches. He also has worked at Oregon under Belotti, but way more experienced now.

I think what we have seen is a coordinator can't be submissive, or we will be left with zip, or he will leave for zip, as seen. We need an OC who will stand up to Mario, while doing it in a respectful way.

This may have been the reason Leavitt left. He was a strong personality, but wasn't able to get along with Mario. There has to be a happy medium.

This is why I don't think Hefrich would work at the OC. Number one he had Mario's job, and that is often a tough dance to make happen. This is even more fire for making sure Mario's will is instilled into the offense.

While Helfrich may be a dream OC in a vacuum, being OC at Oregon wouldn't be in a vacuum. He would be faced with his past and Mario's instincts. I don't think he could deal with either.

My pick is the legendary Bill Musgrave. This guy has proven he can work for many people, was even hired by Chip Kelly when he was the Eagles coach. 

Musgrave coach Michale Vick to his peak, brought along Nic Foles, and Derek Carr, and helped highlight Adrian Petersen. The guy has the resume and history to know what works and how to make it work. Wisdom and capability come from experience and talent, which equates into compound knowledge.

Musgrave has it all, or we need somebody else who can be as capable while capable of leading under, beside Mario.

Go big or go home.

If, and that's a big if, MC stays go after the best OC's around. Ones with HC possibilities galore.

Pay over the top. $3 million plus. Make Oregon a destination for young, innovative coaches.

Should know in a few days whether MC stays. MC's strength is recruiting. He loves the chase and conquest. Recruits and parents want answers. NOW.......

Guest KingT
On 12/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Andy Ludwig from Utah. He makes $855K this year. Oregon has a bigger budget for assistant coaches. He also has worked at Oregon under Belotti, but way more experienced now.

Maybe Ludwig is a HC candidate if/when Mario departs.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:50 AM, KingT said:

Maybe Ludwig is a HC candidate if/when Mario departs.

Ludwig was our OC, and wasn't a popular one. I doubt he would be brought in as a head coach when he couldn't help us run our offense well enough to keep his job.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:46 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Love the way Andy utilizes the tight ends. Reminds me a bit of Stanford in the day. MC recruits good tight ends and doesn’t use them. They seem to be running around wide open but never see the ball.