Charles Fischer

Fab Five ALONE Could have Beat Cal?

I think that if they played together as a group for a while--they could beat over half the teams in America right now!

I have wondered about platooning, and having two groups play together consistently and get that chemistry needed for set plays and defensive switches, etc.?  If there was ever a team that could platoon--this is it?

Mr. FishDuck

The rest of the teams are on notice. UCLA & Stanford needed to play their best games of the season to get wins over this Ducks team that is still learning to play together.  There will be rematches this season, and next season the Lady Ducks will be even better. 

5 hours ago, 30Duck said:

The rest of the teams are on notice. UCLA & Stanford needed to play their best games of the season to get wins over this Ducks team that is still learning to play together.  There will be rematches this season, and next season the Lady Ducks will be even better. 

I cannot help but wonder what the upside ultimately is!

Mr. FishDuck

6 hours ago, 30Duck said:

UCLA & Stanford needed to play their best games of the season

Actually, Stanford was down two of its best players. When they meet again, the lady Ducks will be better and hopefully Stanford will be back to full strength. It will be another close game.

Both UCLA and Stanford did play very good games. They need to win a couple while they still can.

Speaking of while they can... feeling a little sorry for the Beavs. Both men's and women's BB shut down.

1 minute ago, Jon Sousa said:

Actually, Stanford was down two of its best players.

Yes they were, credit to them for playing as well as they did without them. As you said, they'll have that win to look back on.

The "Fab 5" scored their 41 points in 94 minutes of the game time played. Cal scored all 41 points in the 200 minutes of game played. Nuf said!

https://goducks.com/documents/2021/1/10/11_Oregon_100_Cal_41.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

OK...I am shamed by your placing time perspective to those points; would the Fab Five doubled up Cal? Doubt it, but your point demonstrates that I did not give them enough credit.  Good catch and THANKS.

30 minutes ago, ICamel said:

The "Fab 5" scored their 41 points in 94 minutes of the game time played. Cal scored all 41 points in the 200 minutes of game played. Nuf said!

https://goducks.com/documents/2021/1/10/11_Oregon_100_Cal_41.pdf

Mr. FishDuck

9 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

I have wondered about platooning, and having two groups play together consistently and get that chemistry needed for set plays and defensive switches, etc.?  If there was ever a team that could platoon--this is it?

Kelly talked about exactly this at the 9:40 mark of this video

51 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

OK...I am shamed by your placing time perspective to those points; would the Fab Five doubled up Cal? Doubt it, but your point demonstrates that I did not give them enough credit.  Good catch and THANKS.

IF..........and it's a big IF, those 5 young women could have played the entire game, mathematically they would have scored 88 points. Of course, as one fatigues their efficiency declines.

The surprising aspect of the game stats is that if you exclude the outlier of game minutes played by Arielle Wilson(3 minutes) that Nyara Sabally and Lydia Giomi had the fewest minutes played.

I think Graves saw the opportunity as the game progressed to give the freshwomen valuable playing time.

36 minutes ago, ICamel said:

the freshwomen

I have never seen that term used before...

Mr. FishDuck

I believe that they could have beat Cal and easily.  They are that talented and just need more minutes-together and just generally on the court playing against college players.  Remember, this is the first time that any of them have been playing against other college athletes instead of being the best player on the floor in high school.  Coach is tinkering with lineups to see which freshmen mesh with each other and the experienced ladies.  I'm pretty sure we will see Dugalic in the starting lineup pretty soon.  I also think Watson will be the first big off the bench as well instead of Giomi.  Nice problem to have eh Kelly?Star Trek Ok GIF

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NogerO said:

Coach is tinkering with lineups to see which freshmen mesh with each other and the experienced ladies. 

Certainly can't disagree with Captain Kirk.