Guest KingT

Mario and Miami appear to be Close to a Deal

Let's use this to our advantage and improve our situation. Why pay Cristobal 9 million when we could pay a better x's and o's coach 6 or 7????

This has to be settled today or at latest Monday. There is a huge amount of upset in the program right now. National Signing day is Dec 15 just 10 days away. With Kirk Herbstreit suggesting and I paraphrase "The Ducks are not giving a best effort here" was about as bad as it can be. He might as well have said they have quit. 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, deschutesduck said:

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Andrew Nemec has been a dependable source of Oregon sports information. In spite of the fact that there are so many loose ends Miami needs to tie up ( like not having an AD, and not firing their current coach Manny Diaz), my gut is telling me that Mario has already, or is very close to bouncing.

Joe Brady, the just fired OC for the Carolina Panthers is an intriguing candidate. The guy is great with Xs and Os, and he has had proven success working with quarterbacks. Justin Wilcox would also be intriguing. He hasn't had major success at Cal, but Cal has made his job there very difficult. The Oregon environment and resources are a game changer.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:10 AM, KingT said:

Joe Brady fired today, ex LSU OC and widely believed to be QB whisperer for Joe Burrow. Just saying.

FryingPans.jpeg

The really cruddy thing about the timing of all of this is the proximity of it all to Early Signing Day for recruits. I'm guessing we are about to experience a cluster mess on the order that Oklahoma just experienced.

It will be interesting to see which recruits stay the course, and which ones bounce. It will also be interesting to see which players stay and which ones decide to hit the portal. 

Another interesting dynamic is the coming projected Alamo Bowl where Oregon is predicted to be playing against Oklahoma. It could be a game coached by two interim coaches and staffs.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:00 PM, latracey said:

The really cruddy thing about the timing of all of this is the proximity of it all to Early Signing Day for recruits. I'm guessing we are about to experience a cluster mess on the order that Oklahoma just experienced.

It will be interesting to see which recruits stay the course, and which ones bounce. It will also be interesting to see which players stay and which ones decide to hit the portal. 

Considering how poorly the Utah game was played MC might have already lost the locker room.  He may have lost the locker room before the championship game.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:02 PM, latracey said:

Another interesting dynamic is the coming projected Alamo Bowl where Oregon is predicted to be playing against Oklahoma. It could be a game coached by two interim coaches and staffs.

And programs with roughly identical situations.

Maybe some pre-game commiseration to help engender mutual good will and empathy for the teams would be in order. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Really, really mixed emotions.  I want stability in the program and great recruiting, but also great coaching.  I've lost a lot of faith that MC has the third of those three.  Yeah, it's a young team, but no way they should get pushed around like that by Utah - twice.  So he stays and we keep the recruiting pipelines he's built and I worry every year about underperforming, or he goes and we start over...again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:40 PM, nw777b said:

My take on Chris is all the noise fried his love of coaching. I honestly don't think he wants or needs to go back to that crap. If memory is correct he and Helf had a conversation on flight about it all right before he stepped away.

Might have been a Canzano article.

Does that ring a bell?

Yeah, I recall similar reports. I guess I'm just wondering if he's someone who might want to jump back in after a break. Sometimes coaches get tired and leave, but after a couple years, the bug kind of gets back into their system and they get back into it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:02 PM, latracey said:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:14 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Really, really mixed emotions.  I want stability in the program and great recruiting, but also great coaching.  I've lost a lot of faith that MC has the third of those three.  Yeah, it's a young team, but no way they should get pushed around like that by Utah - twice.  So he stays and we keep the recruiting pipelines he's built and I worry every year about underperforming, or he goes and we start over...again.

This is exactly where I was up until some point yesterday. However at this point I realized the x's and o's end up being more important than the jimmy's and the joe's. 

In fact what I believe are the main factors are heart, will and drive. Desire is the ingredient championships are made of. This years team has been short on this characteristic and I believe Cristobal lost his team this season. 

He is toast. Time to move on.

"Bringing it all back home"..........I sincerely hope.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT
On 12/5/2021 at 2:14 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

It appears to me departing coaches were preoccupied with their next steps and this leaked into the team preparation because no way in heck you should get beat by the same team in three weeks 75-17...that's on the coaches and poor preparation, planning, execution, in my humble opinion.

Guest KingT

Alamo Bowl with HC from Oregon and Oklahoma at 2 pm PST...can you say awkward for Oregon.

Hire Wilcox, Sirmon + Musgrave. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, KingT said:

Alamo Bowl with HC from Oregon and Oklahoma at 2 pm PST...can you say awkward for Oregon.

Over/under on the number of seconds it takes for the first and most obvious question?

On 12/5/2021 at 12:36 PM, CalBear95 said:

Over/under on the number of seconds it takes for the first and most obvious question?

DeRuyter?

On 12/5/2021 at 12:38 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

DeRuyter?

That's a fair point.  What are odds MC is even at the mic?

I think Mario was just what Oregon needed at the time, a program stabilizer: come in, put in a system, get buy-in, hire a solid coaching and support staff, and succeed on the recruiting trail.

I don't follow Miami that closely, but it sounds like it may be what they need as well.

But I'm not sure he can really coach, or at least brings much to the table beyond the baseline. He needs to win with recruiting. And people love his recruiting, but having followed it myself pretty closely (since maybe 1998), I'll just say, if he is gonna win this way, it still needs to be better, and quite a bit better: if he is gonna play this bland style offense, and trot out essentially the same "bend but don't break defense" 75% of college football is using.

The recruiting is very good, and watching guys like KT and Sewell is certainly fun, but it isn't close to being enough to win playing blah football. Oregon has been closing in on the magic 60% "blue chip" ratio, putting it firmly in the top 10-12. But the huge difference between Oregon and the very top programs is the number of top 50-60 recruits. In the current 2017-2021 group, MC has gotten 10 (in the 247 Composite): Georgia has 38, Alabama 37, Ohio State 33, Clemson 25, and LSU even 16. As much as USC has struggled, from 2017-2021, MC's "all time" success in recruiting at the UO recently, they still have brought in 17 top 60 recruits. Oregon is still in on some top kids, but currently I believe in this cycle Banks is the only top 60 kid. There aren't 2 or 3, let alone 5,6, or 7.

Unless Oregon hires a real dud, I think Oregon can still recruit well beyond MC.

The "next step" IMO is much more likely to come from better coaching, better talent evaluation, better player development, improved scheme than some future "next step" that may or may not come in recruiting (much better than we have been seeing) if it means Oregon must win with MC's current style of football, which has little to do with the current state of college football.

Shoot, MC was just schooled twice by Dulwig, a former Bellotti cast off.

• Like 2

Nary a peep about this whole subject on O-Live or CBS Sports.

Bring in Belloti to face Stoops. We all wanted to go back to how we use to play. And would be cool to give Belotti another shot at beating the Sooners in the bowl game. I think we lost in 2007 if I'm not mistaken.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:59 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Bring in Belloti to face Stoops. We all wanted to go back to how we use to play. And would be cool to give Belotti another shot at beating the Sooners in the bowl game. I think we lost in 2007 if I'm not mistaken.

image.thumb.png.932621f9de228787829742eb4f6d77eb.png

I'm going to go cut down a Christmas tree. Seems healthier and more productive than eavesdropping on Mario's drama.

On 12/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, jrw said:

I'm going to go cut down a Christmas tree. Seems healthier and more productive than eavesdropping on Mario's drama.

Lol I did the same thing this mornings. Figured by the time I got home news would hit. I was wrong.