Charles Fischer

Monday Recruiting Visits CANCELLED: Cristobal Flying Back to Eugene

Thanks to forum member, nw777b, who found this on the Bleacher Report site...it reports that Monday recruiting visits have been cancelled, and he is flying back to Eugene.

Report: Mario Cristobal, Miami Agree to Terms on Contract; Could Exceed $8M Per Year by Erin Walsh of Bleacher Report

lcuazt5ur7z8z6rbwenf.jpg

Thanks to everyone who finds articles and posts!  We're all in this together my friends!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It seems obvious that if he were staying, he would not be cancelling recruit visits. Oh well..........time to move on.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder how it weighs on Mario…..if at all……to bail on all these kids he made promises to, and enticed to join him at UO to form a team?

I know “it’s a business”, and it’s his career, but………if a kid carries out his part of the bargain, and places his success and development in my hands……and I’m making multi-millions…..I wouldn’t bail on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just read that the Miami deadline is 12:00 noon EST. So by 9:00am PST we should know what is happening.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2021 at 5:11 PM, Duckdude said:

I wonder how it weighs on Mario…..if at all……to bail on all these kids he made promises to, and enticed to join him at UO to form a team?

with zero inside knowledge I kinda get the feeling that part bothers him... that said if a coach stays to coach every player they recruit through graduation they would literally never be able to move to a new job.  I liked the fact that Mario was at least telling the recruits he was undecided on his future... also he looked like hell on that zoom call.

• Thumbs Up 4

Miami is in no position to dictate to MC. That's just classless billionaire bluster.

MC holds all the cards. Bring back the Miami offer to Mullens and PK. Oregon will counter. 

MC holds all the cards. Plus he cannot be bullied or pushed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Justin Hopkins is reporting on twitter that a recruit MC saw today was told directly by MC that he was staying at Oregon.

So many " reports"....who knows what the truth actually is? 

• Thumbs Up 3

No announcement yet. Probably no decision yet. The Sporting News says MC has until noon Monday to decide:

The Bleacher Report is a pretty legit news source so I'm sure the sources of their information check out. The question now is is Mario coming to Eugene to compare numbers with what Oregon is offering him, or is he coming to Eugene to meet with his players and staff and bid them a fond fare thee well.

If he decides to stay at Oregon (which looks highly doubtful), how much credibility does he lose with the University, his staff, his players, and his recruits over all of this? If he goes, who is on Mullen's short list of replacements. Their are some very interesting names potentially available.

It shall all be revealed by high noon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Trust me He knows the numbers.

• Thumbs Up 2

$8 million a year for a coach that doesn't know to kick the ball out of bounds on a punt at the end of the half.

Hmm, Miami is dumb.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

$7 M in eugene goes waaaaaaaay further than $8 M in miami. so there’s that. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I haven’t seen the names of Urban Meyer or Pete Carrol brought up in the OBD forum yet. Too much baggage? Can’t pry them away from the NFL? Either one would be a home run hire. You want to win big you might have to deal with the uglier side of the business….

On 12/5/2021 at 9:00 PM, DR Hilarius said:

$7 M in eugene goes waaaaaaaay further than $8 M in miami. so there’s that. 

With Oregon’s progressive tax rate, Mario would be giving $700K back to the state. No State income tax in Florida.

Although I am a proud Duck Alum, I am not an Oregonian, so I won’t be able to feel the same magnitude intense passion that my fellow Duck fans who are Oregonians do.  

In the early 60’s I had my first Café Cubano while living in St. Petersburg Beach, Florida, and attending a year of high school there.  Years later I lived for a short time in Key West with my Cuban-American girlfriend.

On October 27 this year of FishDuck I posted:

“Thing is, I really believe MC would take Miami if the price is right.  I doubt that there is no way a second-generation Cuban-American who won two NCs in his own home town would turn down going home to his roots and his family.”

Later, unfortunately for the Cristobal family, his mother in Miami has become very ill.

Videos, and screenshots of him today appear to show a man whose soul is tortured. 

Some will consider him a traitor, and be pissed off at him.  Some will think it’s only about the Benjamins.

Not me.

IMHO, going home is what is right for him, and for his family.

I am disappointed to lose such a strong recruiter, and a man who helped restore this program to national prominence.  Sure, the offense never really worked, and that was his failing. 

However, he put his heart and soul into Oregon while he was there; and he did it with integrity, moral exactitude, and was all about living every day the right way.

Oregon is not his home.  His home is where his family lives, and where he grew up to be such an incredible man. I wish him Godspeed. 

And I look forward to our Ducks growing even more awesome.

College Football Reaction GIF by Nissan USA

• Thumbs Up 10
  • Like 6

In time this works out for both him and the Ducks.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

Although I am a proud Duck Alum, I am not an Oregonian, so I won’t be able to feel the same magnitude intense passion that my fellow Duck fans who are Oregonians do.  

In the early 60’s I had my first Café Cubano while living in St. Petersburg Beach, Florida, and attending a year of high school there.  Years later I lived for a short time in Key West with my Cuban-American girlfriend.

On October 27 this year of FishDuck I posted:

“Thing is, I really believe MC would take Miami if the price is right.  I doubt that there is no way a second-generation Cuban-American who won two NCs in his own home town would turn down going home to his roots and his family.”

Later, unfortunately for the Cristobal family, his mother in Miami has become very ill.

Videos, and screenshots of him today appear to show a man whose soul is tortured. 

Some will consider him a traitor, and be pissed off at him.  Some will think it’s only about the Benjamins.

Not me.

IMHO, going home is what is right for him, and for his family.

I am disappointed to lose such a strong recruiter, and a man who helped restore this program to national prominence.  Sure, the offense never really worked, and that was his failing. 

However, he put his heart and soul into Oregon while he was there; and he did it with integrity, moral exactitude, and was all about living every day the right way.

Oregon is not his home.  His home is where his family lives, and where he grew up to be such an incredible man. I wish him Godspeed. 

And I look forward to our Ducks growing even more awesome.

College Football Reaction GIF by Nissan USA

Post of the day, and agree 100%. I admit I am confused, that confusion has led to frustration, and anger at times. I can only imagine the emotions Mario is having. He is a good man, deserves our respect and over time I hope we can better understand.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

You sir, are a much better sport and a much better man than I'll ever be.  Thank YOU for being an example and a reminder to us all...

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

I wonder how he feels as a fellow coach, much less a fellow cuban-american, to be considering a school who's administration has left a bowl bound coach (Diaz) hanging out to dry while they pursue him? If it can happen to Diaz, it can happen to their next coach. I'm sure it has occurred in the past, but I can't remember a similar situation.

Edited by Buzby
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel
On 12/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, deschutesduck said:

well said @81DuckAlum

"Sure, the offense never worked " Lol, what good is a coach like that? I have a different take. Cristobal's incompetence cost us another Rose Bowl appearance. He was an able recruiter. As a coach, he left much to be desired. He won't win an NC at Miami.

Oregon is not his home. 

Au Contraire……Oregon IS his home…..NOW.  And……what a GREAT place to live!

Edited by Duckdude
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

With Oregon’s progressive tax rate, Mario would be giving $700K back to the state. No State income tax in Florida.

But it's Florida.

When you make $8 million, it’s worth the tax to live in Oregon.

Edited by Duckdude
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

uhhhh, have you looked at zillow? that $700k would just be going to the local S FL real estate investor instead of statewide social services. and it would be waaaaaaaay more than 700k more for the equivalent in eugene. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for all the kind remarks regarding my post on MC to all my fellow Duck buddies.

While I am not a native Oregonian, I have had the privilege and honor of having good friends who are.  And you have all made me a better man.

If this from Mat Kearney sends chills down my spine based upon the incredible time I lived in beautiful Oregon, what must it do to you? 

You True Men and Women of Oregon!

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

A progressive tax rate versus bugs the size of zeppelins. Tax me, my friend!

beebes-pest-and-termite-control-palmetto-bug.jpeg

On 12/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, Duckdude said:

I know “it’s a business”, and it’s his career, but………if a kid carries out his part of the bargain, and places his success and development in my hands……and I’m making multi-millions…..I wouldn’t bail on him.

Well, but wouldn't that mean no coach could ever leave his job?  Even to retire?  There will always be a new class of recruits placing their success and development in your hands, and keeping you in place for the next 4 - 5 years.  And position coaches would be in the same place - as an O-lineman, you probably rely more on your O-line coach than on the head coach - so if the O-line coach or the offensive coordinator get a HC offer, don't they have to stay for the kids they recruited?

And what about the coach on the hot seat who recruits a great class, only to see them enter the transfer portal or flip at the last second?  Ugly as it may be, it's a business.  Coaches, players, and the administration all have the right to move on.  Throughout my career, I've had bosses and clients who really depended on me - but at various times, I've taken better positions (at least, better for me), even if it hurt my previous employer and/or clients.  

Guest KingT

We all have to remember it not just about Mario. It's about his wife, his Mom, his kids and his extended family. My guess is they all want him in South Florida. No one could blame him for just wanting to serve all those interests. To me, this has always been the only option Mario would take and, unfortunately, just like Willie, it came up sooner than later. It's his time.