deschutesduck

Wow, Cristobal's Oregon Contract was "Pulled Off the Table"

I didn't want to start a new topic but wasn't sure where to add this...

Canzano: Mario Cristobal’s Slow Play with Oregon-Miami Jobs May Have Alienated the only Booster He’s Ever Needed by John Canzano of OregonLive

"Last week, per a source, Knight signed off on a 10-year, $85 million extension that was offered by the University of Oregon to football coach Mario Cristobal. Year No. 1 would double Cristobal’s base salary and put it in excess of $7 million a year. It escalated from there and was easily the most lucrative deal ever offered to a football coach in Eugene."

"Cristobal didn’t sign the contract extension on Friday before the title game. He instead made plans to talk with his agent the following day. Then, his team got blown off the field by the Utes: 38-10. The Ducks’ coach took the loss hard."

"That 10-year contract extension still good?

'It was pulled off the table when Mario didn’t sign it and got on the plane,' said a source close to the situation."

• Thumbs Up 3

No sweat.  I was just about to add it, as THIS is news that certainly deserves its own thread.  Thanks for bringing this article to the community, and I hope you don't mind my tweaks.

True...dat...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

So basically he is kinda fugged?

Wow indeed. That pulled offer will show somebody out there that the UO IS a destination school and Uncle Phil ain't playing around.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 9:27 PM, deschutesduck said:

not at all @Charles Fischer your edits made it look much better

Thanks.  Part of what I am trying to do on this forum is add my knowledge of publishing...to a forum.  It has never been done before, and it is working well.  Since 75% of those here are not posting, but simply here to be reading the content of news and posts--my rules and protocol are meant to make it easier and more enjoyable for them.  Again...not a priority at other forums, but it is here!

Mr. FishDuck

I can't say as I blame Uncle Phil for being upset by Mario playing the Ducks especially with how massive and long that contract is.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2021 at 9:32 PM, Warrenton said:

I can't say as I blame Uncle Phil for being upset by Mario playing the Ducks especially with how massive and long that contract is.

And how badly we got our butts-kicked that night...

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I can't blame Mario for leaving, but I don't think he's handled it well. Particularly for a guy who fancied himself to be such a straight shooter.

It's so simple. Mario got offered the contract of his "dreams" . . . and he walked away because his REAL dreams don't include Oregon. Knight cleverly gave him the Loyalty Test, and Cristobal got an "F". Bye-bye. We can all "sleep in" tomorrow, because there's nothing more to see.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

We stay calm, as we know precisely how to handle these negotiations...

200.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

It didn't make sense a guy like PK would wait and let Cristobal do that little dance. Good for PK, I applaud the move, well done. Cristobal just burned a big bridge, and maybe learned a lesson.

My other bet is PK is going to make sure we end up better than what we saw under Cristobal. He is on it now and probably before Cristobal pulled the little move he made. That is the way that level of business is done, Go Ducks! The New Oregon Football Program is on its way!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

If MC is "playing" Oregon and Phil Knight then I hope he leaves tomorrow.

However, when I read Canzano's article I don't see an absolute confirmation that the contract was indeed actually "pulled":

"Athletic department officials at Oregon and Cristobal’s representatives would not confirm that detail. It may be a matter of semantics (did he turn it down or was it pulled when he didn’t sign it?) Knight isn’t speaking, either."

In fact, Canzano later goes on to say that MC could still be considering both offers, making it sound like the Oregon offer is still on the table:

"It may be entirely possible that Oregon’s coach is agonizing over two contract offers -- similar dollars and years but in different zip codes." 

But Canzano is absolutely right about this being a "Soap Opera" and it has gone on too long  and I am now at the Rhett Butler stage at the end of Gone With The Wind with this whole ugly mess:

Scarlett:  "Oh Rhett, but what will I do?  Where will I go?"

Rhett:  "FRANKLY MY DEAR, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN."

gone with the wind GIF

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

At least it's consistent. Mario negotiates as well as he coaches.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

In recruiting, when a player chooses another school, many fans react with a "we didn't want him anyway" attitude.  While I have no doubt Phil Knight may be rightfully miffed I question if the contract offer was actually pulled.  If true why hasn't Mario accepted the Miami offer already?  He doesn't gain anything by waiting until the morning. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 10:03 PM, toketeeman said:

At least it's consistent. Mario negotiates as well as he coaches.

*Phil Knight walks into Mario's office*

Phil:  "hey I just wanted to"

Mario "time out"

Phil: : "what?"

Mario: "what?"

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2021 at 10:04 PM, McDuck said:

In recruiting, when a player chooses another school, many fans react with a "we didn't want him anyway" attitude.  While I have no doubt Phil Knight may be rightfully miffed I question if the contract offer was actually pulled.  If true why hasn't Mario accepted the Miami offer already?  He doesn't gain anything by waiting until the morning. 

He is still under contract, and Miami is still on the hook for pay the payoff. PK isn't stupid, he knew what he was doing, what he was offering, and then where it was going. Cristobal, like Toketee said, is usually a step behind, sadly.

• Thumbs Up 1

If all this is true then I would also suspect that team PK has given the UO a list of replacement candidates Friday evening. Things may start moving at warp speed on Monday.

Uncle Phil can make or break any coach, player, or recruit that represents his beloved O.

Gotta love his unconditional love for the O.

Go Ducks!

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I just read Shoe Dog a couple weeks ago.  Yeah, I can see Phil Knight pulling the offer.  

On 12/5/2021 at 10:12 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If all this is true then I would also suspect that team PK has given the UO a list of replacement candidates Friday evening. Things may start moving at warp speed on Monday.

In this day and age I wouldn't be surprised if someone at or connected to Oregon has already done some potential interest calls. They definitely have the list together and I am sure Phil has gone through it and ordered the candidates he would want.

Starting to see the benefits of firing a coach half way through the season to get a jump-start on the coaching hire... granted we weren't looking to get rid of MC so it doesn't count for us.

Guest KingT

I have no doubt whatsoever that when Phil agreed to the offer it was valid for a time certain. Typically within 24 hours or by 5 pm of X date. If it wasn't signed, it is more than likely no longer valid. I'm highly confident that that offer is no longer valid or said differently, has expired.

Edited by KingT

WHO wants the guy to stick around? He is either going to Miami or thought he could play PK with the idea that he is going to Miami.

How about hire someone who will put the fun back into football? Someone who isn't stubborn as a goat, understands the modern game and is capable of delegating and not micro-managing?

• Thumbs Up 2

If I were Miami I'd lower my offer.

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2021 at 9:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No sweat.  I was just about to add it, as THIS is news that certainly deserves its own thread.  Thanks for bringing this article to the community, and I hope you don't mind my tweaks.

True...dat...

As usual, those that talk, don't know.  Those that know, don't talk.

Hey Mario, PLEASEEEEEE make up your mind well before 5 pm when my moderating shift starts.

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:21 AM, Steven A said:

Hey Mario, PLEASEEEEEE make up your mind well before 5 pm when my moderating shift starts.

Not sure that is going to help too much, but I too hope for clarity and soon! 

It is like Christmas and we have a secret Santa game going on with high stakes!

49ahtMh7_bigger.jpg

As I tweeted at 1:44 a.m., there is an Oregon Ducks team meeting this morning. It's going down at 7:45 am.
Quote Tweet

49ahtMh7_mini.jpg

Aaron J. Fentress

@AaronJFentress
· 5h
A little birdie just told me that Oregon football will hold a team meeting Monday morning. We shall see.

Well they certainly owe the players some answers.

Forgot in all this business side of football are the players.

They have hopes and dreams, too. They have questions that require answers.

They have to make plans. Stay, transfer portal, whatever.......

But these things will come up in their lives, many times.

Just part of their education.

Go Ducks. 

Definitely part of their education. My wife will often comment about how nice a salesperson is and that she likes them. Several of these salespeople have been trying to rip us off with either bad deals or unneeded repairs. I remind her of course they are nice they are selling you stuff! I have been around salespeople all of my working life and know that many will say whatever it takes to get you to say yes. These kids have learned that Mario is no different than most salespeople and he got what he wanted so time to move on down the road. Sad but reality.

Edited by LADuck

On 12/5/2021 at 10:07 PM, deschutesduck said:

*Phil Knight walks into Mario's office*

Phil:  "hey I just wanted to"

Mario "time out"

Phil: : "what?"

Mario: "what?"

Thank you deshutesduck.  This made me laugh out loud on a rainy Monday.

• Like 1