FishDuck Article

Five Candidates and Two Firecrackers to Replace Cristobal and Get Oregon Back to a ‘Natty

Congratulate Mario Cristobal on his way out the door. He’s getting a shot at his dream job, to coach where he used to play. Miami is home and we get it. Thank you for Mario for spurning LSU and others when they came calling. This is your perfect fit. You’re going to have The Rock come in to fire up ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I personally think Kiffin would be your guy.

High flying offense? Check

Tempo? Check

Cool slogans and connects with today's kids? Check

Learned under Saban? Check

Can do more with less? Check

We all deserve "second chances" and after he learned on the sidelines at Bama, maybe in his aging years he can settle down and bring Oregon to the promise land (or even just the playoffs).

Cheers. 

• Haha 3

Guest KingT

Good piece. Out of the group you reference, Chip makes the most sense, but I don't think he's interested. I believe SC tried to get Peterson and he likely said no to them, so my hunch is he's not interested either.  I think Campbell is a good fit or someone like him, perhaps Joe Brady or Andy Ludwig. This operation can recruit itself well enough that it really needs a robust on field coach with better than average recruiting. We don't need top 5 recruiting to win but we do need top 5 coaching, ask Utah.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:34 AM, Quackanadian said:

High flying offense? Check

Tempo? Check

Cool slogans and connects with today's kids? Check

Learned under Saban? Check

Can do more with less? Check

We all deserve "second chances" and after he learned on the sidelines at Bama, maybe in his aging years he can settle down and bring Oregon to the promise land (or even just the playoffs).

Cheers. 

I agree on Kiffin but he is close to signing a big extension at Ole Miss. Honestly, if you have a job in the SEC today and you are not Lincoln Riley headed to a blue blood, do you want to come and coach in the Pac-12? Apparently Kiffin is losing his OC who is following Brent Venables to Oklahoma. Oklahoma is the Ducks Alamo Bowl opponent with the game broadcast at the friendly viewer time of 9:15 ET. 

A big extension for Aranda is on the table and he feels a great deal of loyalty to Baylor. He is taking Baylor to the Sugar Bowl. Why would he want to leave Baylor for Oregon?

Fickell is now coaching in the Power 5, in the B12. The 'new' B12 has 3 teams, 4. Cincinnati, 7 Baylor and 9 OK ST in NY6 Bowl games. Why leave the B12 for an inferior football conference? Why leave Cincinnati that he and his wife and family love for Eugene?

Chip Kelly has a losing record at UCLA and he hates recruiting. 

Coach Pete, IMO, has no interest in getting back into the grind of coaching? He is being paid by both FOX, and by UW as an advisor to the AD. If he wanted back in he would have returned to UW.

With the state of the conference, the fate of a new media deal unknown and the fate of a functionally insolvent network unknown, what's the draw to the Pac-12? Riley was drawn by LA, the money and the chance to reinvigorate blue blood USC. SC is the plum job in the conference. I doubt that Riley would have tripped to Eugene and whether Oregon could come up with $9M+?

Chip bolted. Willie bolted. Looks like Mario is bolting and the way this all went down with Miami, who wants the guy to stay? Goodbye to you and your antiquated offense.

I know Charles does not like the idea, but I would hire Justin Wilcox, Peter Sirmon and OC Musgrave. All who played for the Ducks. Wilcox never got a fair shake at CAL. Wilcox defeated Mario in 2020 and battled into the 4th Q against Oregon in 2021. It will not take $9M to hire Wilcox and he will be loyal to Oregon.

Alabama OC Bill O'Brien is another guy I'd look at. The problem? He's tied up through the Playoff and assuming Bama beats Cincy, that means he's tied up through 1/10/22.

Flyer candidate? If you want to watch up-tempo. high-flying O, bring in Jeremy Chadwell from Coastal Carolina.

Thanks for the take. The next HC hire CANNOT be a stepping stone job. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

On 12/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, KingT said:

Good piece. Out of the group you reference, Chip makes the most sense, but I don't think he's interested. I believe SC tried to get Peterson and he likely said no to them, so my hunch is he's not interested either.  I think Campbell is a good fit or someone like him, perhaps Joe Brady or Andy Ludwig. This operation can recruit itself well enough that it really needs a robust on field coach with better than average recruiting. We don't need top 5 recruiting to win but we do need top 5 coaching, ask Utah.

Joe Brady was just fired by the Panthers and has never been a HC.

Wasn't Utah senior top heavy this year. I believe that it was. Experience is the equalizer of talent. Put both together and you have a great chance at winning.

Look at the LSU championship from 2019. 15/0 senior ladden. Huge amount of draft picks. Next year Not so good.

Look at our win at tOSU this year. We were still healthy missing only JT and JF and experienced. Fast forward to end of the season and we are missing 10 starters and having to play true Fr and walk ons. 

FB is complicated with many moving parts.

• Thumbs Up 1

No thank you for any of the coaches in the article!

I personally would like to have an Oregon group of coaches - Wilcox, Musgrave, and Sirmon!  With all the resources available at Oregon  these over achievers would soar!

Kelly, Taggart, and Cristobal were all relatively unknown before coming to Oregon.  Oregon made them known nationally.

These 3 Duck alums are experienced coaches who know football.  They know how to coach up their players and be competitive.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

All I can say is you knock on doors and ask. It is the same for Bohn at sc and Cristobal at Oregon, you just never know who is going to say yes. The secret sauce may be saying PK is interested in you coaching at Oregon, but it will take knocking on multiple doors like the Altman search.

The difference with the football coaching hire is if we don't hire soon, Cristobal's departure will impact the Ducks more like sanctions than just a coach leaving.

Without a coach the portal will be more active. Opposing players will reaching out to our elite talent telling them to come to their school, it happens. Our 4* and 5* talent will be gutted, and we will be left with a core of hardcore Ducks, but the talent will be more like the 80's.

Then there is recruiting, what elite recruit isn't on the fence with multiple schools on the edge pulling them in? Without Cristobal this recruiting class will fall apart. We will be a school without a recruiting class, and this will hurt us for years to come.

This is why we hired from within the last time somebody from Florida left us in a similar situation. Time is of the essence, the Alamo Bowl isn't what I am worried about it. It is the toilet bowl we would be headed for after the impact of this slick 2 act.

I think PK understands this and is on it so I won't ponder too much, but Aranda is A1 for me. The main item to remember about Aranda was this was his first year as a head coach, ever. He was a DC and had all the attributes we see now. That is where we may have to look too, who is going to be the next Aranda type coach, and it will happen at Oregon.

All of this listing coaches may not come to fruition, it may just be another Dave Aranda, Chip Kelly type character nobody is sure about, but has the it factor. I hope we find that type of guy, soon, because the guys on our lists having been hit up multiple times and the Pac-12 isn't too attractive right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

2021 was Aranda's 2nd season as the Baylor HC. Won 2 games in 2020. Sugar Bowl and B12 champ in 2021.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Kalani Sitake

I know he's probably a long timer at BYU and a long shot but he did knock off UT and 4 other P12 schools. 

Next choice would be Dave Aranda. I think he'd bring back the excitement to Oregon football that MC couldn't.

Last would be the three amigos Wilcox, Sirmon and Musgrave. I'm not a big fan of alumni ex-players being head coaches because if they

falter  then it's emotionally hard to ask them to leave.

• Like 1

Chris Peterson

Dave Aranda

Joe Brady

in that order, 

Wilcox would be a disaster, Oregon would be settling for the safe boring pick.  Our talent would jump ship in a hurry. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

Time is of the essence...

THIS!

Jimmy Fallon Comedy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:00 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Chris Peterson

Dave Aranda

Joe Brady

in that order, 

Wilcox would be a disaster, Oregon would be settling for the safe boring pick.  Our talent would jump ship in a hurry. 

Joe Brady was just fired as OC of the Panthers and has never been a HC?

Thank you Mike Ostrom and Mike Whitmire for this great article.

What a way to finish it with the "Firecrackers",  a much welcomed touch of hilarity!

• Haha 1

I have to say I trust those in charge of negotiating with Cristobal, great move pulling the contract, and now picking the next guy if needed. I think much like on Christmas morning, we are going to be left to ask.......

And then we say how much we love the present, and some will just shrug.

5wtvyl.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 7:08 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Joe Brady was just fired as OC of the Panthers and has never been a HC?

Joe Brady would be taking a risk and swinging for a home run no doubt.

Wilcox is a swinging bunt, just trying to get on base. 

I spent too much time this morning thinking on this... There is one name I don't want but we may actually need if MC leaves today. 

Lane Kiffin 

I'm not thrilled with the idea because he has proven to be just a gun for hire but he could save the recruiting class and keep it as a top 15 and keep recruiting at a high level. He would also bring a solid offense with him and the roster will stay more intact. 

I'm not a Kiffin fan but that's the only name that comes up that is big enough and can get the job done... And for the right price can actually be brought to Oregon. 

Campbell and Aranda both are good but I don't know if they can be brought to Oregon, let alone fast enough. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:32 AM, David Marsh said:

I spent too much time this morning thinking on this... There is one name I don't want but we may actually need if MC leaves today. 

Lane Kiffin 

I'm not thrilled with the idea because he has proven to be just a gun for hire but he could save the recruiting class and keep it as a top 15 and keep recruiting at a high level. He would also bring a solid offense with him and the roster will stay more intact. 

I'm not a Kiffin fan but that's the only name that comes up that is big enough and can get the job done... And for the right price can actually be brought to Oregon. 

Campbell and Aranda both are good but I don't know if they can be brought to Oregon, let alone fast enough. 

I will agree with that one, pretty sure Kiffin keeps most of his stuff in a moving van!

• Haha 1

Does DeRuyter leave if not considered for HC?  

Or would he stay for a Wilcox reunion?

On 12/6/2021 at 7:35 AM, Haywarduck said:

I will agree with that one, pretty sure Kiffin keeps most of his stuff in a moving van!

But boy do I not like the prospect of turning to Kiffin.... Lol 

Because if it is Kiffin then there is always a great risk of him running. Which only perpetuates the problem. 

Great article. Thanks......

Glad I don't have to make any of these difficult decisions .

All the noise sense the butt kicking we got from the Utes (Congrats Utes) came from Miami and the sports industry talking heads.

It was all quiet from Mullens and Oregon. They did their talking with the largest, longest term offer in Duck history. Telling MC, thank you, job well done, we believe in you.

Then media silence.....

The moment MC didn't sign and said he and his agent were meeting Saturday:

Pretty certain the search was underway. All of the names mentioned have more Pros than Cons......

For the most part, many coaches will want the Oregon HC position. Only a handful are really set at their destination.

Oregon is a top 10 destination.....

Hopefully that and the money will garner a top 10 coach.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:32 AM, David Marsh said:

Lane Kiffin 

Would he leave Ole Miss for Oregon? maybe I dunno.

Honestly I have a feeling we will go after some OC or DC from the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

It would set up a pretty interesting sc game, Kiffin would love to stick it to the spoiled children. This would undoubtedly play into his decision, and add some fun to the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:01 AM, 30Duck said:

1 and 2.

Loyalty won't win championships. Better to have a coach for 4 years and win a championship vs 8 years and never have the opportunity. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

For the right price absolutely he would. That's why I say Kiffin is the guy to take a swing at because he has shown time and time again he wants to coach on a big stage (Ole Miss is going to be stuck behind Bama) and he is always interested in a pay increase. So I think Oregon can get Kiffin... but can they hold onto him is a bigger question. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There's another name that should be stricken from this list, Chip Kelly.  Do people not know that Chip got Oregon into probation and himself suspended from the NCAA for two years because of improper payment of a scout!  He left Oregon because he had to leave Oregon.  Having a head coach who does not like to recuit is a nonstarter.

• Thumbs Up 4

Aranda, Fickell or Chip....Peterson's been a Dawg which automatically disqualifies him and Matt Campbell's offense looks like MC's....no, no, no to these two.

• Haha 1

If Oregon wants to be a national player, it needs to go big with the coaching hire. The Wilcox-Musgrave thing would be like acknowledging that you can't compete with the big boys and you're instead settling for your comfort blanket. Chip was lightning in a bottle. That moment can't be recaptured; plus he's kind of a jerk and hates recruiting.

Fickell, Campbell, Aranda, or (I can't believe I'm saying this) Kiffen would be at the top of the list.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally I don't think any of the names in the article are viable. Mostly because I don't think any of them will want the job, but also because none of those coaches have a personal connection to UofO.

It's time to make a move similar to what Miami is making. Pay a local guy to get the job done and get it done right. 

I know Charles wrote a tough article on Wilcox nine years ago showing some suspect things his players were doing. The question I have about that is whether or not there is proof that Wilcox was coaching his players to play dirty or not? Sounded like the article doesn't clarify that but does clarify that he didn't clearly chastise those players for that type of play though and that is concerning. 

I personally have never seen Wilcox play dirty. As I have stated many times on FishDuck I played high school sports against Wilcox for three years in the early 90's and he never played dirty, but he was really tough to guard on the basketball court and he smashed us pretty hard on the football field.

So to answer Fentress' tweet questions I suppose there is only one overarching priority for me and that is loyalty at this point. We have to stop the coaching carousel as there is nothing more destructive to a program than what we have seen for the past several years now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 8:53 AM, C J said:

We have to stop the coaching carousel as there is nothing more destructive to a program than what we have seen for the past several years now. 

That would be perfect, but in college football, not just at Oregon. Coaches come and go. Look around, how many coaches have been at the same school for more than 5 years? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:01 AM, 30Duck said:

Those three things are all big and important... sadly I think Oregon can only get two of those. Numbers 1 and 2 are more important in the short term... if they succeed at Oregon and they are able to get massive money to keep them then that will solve number 3. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Loyalty and trust are the foundation of any good relationship. I believe these could be the foundation of the Ducks winning a championship as well.

Keep up with what we have seen for the past 5 or so years and we will not only lose the team......but we will lose the fans as well (including myself).

I have no idea why folks are so down on Wilcox and Musgraves but they have been making lemonade for many years now. What about all these other new names people are throwing around makes them better?

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just some random thoughts.

Oregon needs a coach that has a sense of loyalty, at least to his own 'system' and what he proclaims to want to build and not to a coach who's dream job resides in another state or school. MC had all the tools necessary to build his brand and get to the CFP and he coug-ed it. When real adversity struck, he ran away. Good riddance!

Canzano's article today had some great points. Notice that he mentions Phil and the contract extension but never mentions AD Mullens in the article.

Mullens is the administrator but the coach hires are the domain of the money guys. THOSE are the guys responsible for the hires since Kelly and once again Oregon will be saddled with their thinking, good or bad. Hopefully they'll make a wise choice this time and not get played again.

Recruiting was MC's high characteristic but I suggest that recruiting as we've known it has really lessened in the level of importance due to the the transfer portal. If players can skip around from school to school, it's incumbent on the program/school to have some greater importance than facilities and star players. Coaching skills, determination, energy, flexible thinking/strategizing and focus in an HC are more important. 

Oregon needs a coach that will "bleed green" and not some high flyer from outside the flock. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we are able to bring in Dave Aranda AND his OC Jeff Grimes. Although I think if we hire Aranda, Grimes would be a strong candidate to take over the Baylor HC position. If not that duo, Lane Kiffin would be a 1B candidate for me. I'd take a shot at Josh Heupel next, then Matt Campbell and Chip Kelly. I'd be satisfied with any of these hires. I don't want Wilcox personally. I think our ceiling decreases significantly with him at the helm.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, 30Duck said:

That would be perfect, but in college football, not just at Oregon. Coaches come and go. Look around, how many coaches have been at the same school for more than 5 years? 

Right, not many, but we have the opportunity right now to make a decision that addresses this issue. Let's take advantage of it and get off of the carousel. It's making me dizzy and I feel like I might puke.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:13 AM, Joshua Whitted said:

I think our ceiling decreases significantly with him at the helm.

Why? Any specific reasons for this? Has he not made lemonade at Cal? He has never had a QB who could win a lot of games. 

Dave Aranda is not going to be leaving Baylor. He has already made that perfectly clear. Why not bring someone in who wants to live in Oregon, who knows Oregon, who enjoys the weather and doesn't mind the fickle fans.

Edited by C J

On 12/6/2021 at 7:34 AM, Quackanadian said:

Love Kiffin's Xs and Os, not so much his loyalty.  What do you think the over/under would be on his stay in Eugene, . . . 2 years?

Edited by M Ostrom
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:08 AM, C J said:

Loyalty and trust are the foundation of any good relationship

CJ, I totally agree, but big-time college football is the wrong place to look for good relationships. Like they say about politics in D.C. "if you want a friend, get a dog".

College football has become a toxic, money-dominated circus that, I think, is heading for some sort of implosion. The current trends are just not sustainable. Too few schools can compete, schools have much bigger worries than the football team, fans have more choices, etc.

Everyone in the game, from the players to the ADs seem to be in it strictly for themselves. Self-interest is normal and fine, up to a point. Unlimited self-interest is destructive.

If Oregon wants to compete in that environment, it's going to have to play by the new rules, and rent a coach from among the small pool who can also play be these rules.

It all makes me want to pay less attention to college football. Yet, here I am.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 9:15 AM, C J said:

Why? Any specific reasons for this? Has he not made lemonade at Cal? He has never had a QB who could win a lot of games.

I’d take Wilcox too with a solid OC (Helfrich?). Cal is not a football powerhouse by design of the school and they still win some good games. He’d do better at Oregon. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Joe Brady was just fired by the Panthers and has never been a HC.

really like Joe Brady as OC.  We talked about that, but didn't include it in the article.  agree with you.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:19 AM, jrw said:

CJ, I totally agree, but big-time college football is the wrong place to look for good relationships. Like they say about politics in D.C. "if you want a friend, get a dog".

College football has become a toxic, money-dominated circus that, I think, is heading for some sort of implosion. The current trends are just not sustainable. Too few schools can compete, schools have much bigger worries than the football team, fans have more choices, etc.

Everyone in the game, from the players to the ADs seem to be in it strictly for themselves. Self-interest is normal and fine, up to a point. Unlimited self-interest is destructive.

If Oregon wants to compete in that environment, it's going to have to play by the new rules, and rent a coach from among the small pool who can also play be these rules.

It all makes me want to pay less attention to college football.

Yes, that last sentence kind of sums up this situation. 

Oregon has always been one to buck the system. So at this point I say we thumb our nose at the big ugly monster that college football has become (and that slick and Cristobal have so clearly articulated through their actions) and now we shift to a more loyalty based culture.

Bringing it All Back Home

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:40 AM, Smith72 said:

Wilcox, Musgrave, and Sirmon!

They would likely be loyal to Oregon, but can they recruit at a high level or win at a high level?  They have inconsistent pasts, but who knows.  Look what Ed O. did at LSU

On 12/6/2021 at 11:14 AM, David Marsh said:

For the right price absolutely he would. That's why I say Kiffin is the guy to take a swing at because he has shown time and time again he wants to coach on a big stage (Ole Miss is going to be stuck behind Bama) and he is always interested in a pay increase. So I think Oregon can get Kiffin... but can they hold onto him is a bigger question. 

David, in his 2nd season Kiffin has Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl. Any offer made by Oregon will be matched by Ole Miss. However, the rumor is that Lane's OC is going to Oklahoma with Brent Veneables? 

Maybe he'd come west for a chance to beat down SC under Riley? But today he is far better recruiting  territory and especially after the victory over A+M, he has Ole Miss at 2nd place in the SEC W.

Also, he gets play games when people are awake and to covered year round by the SEC network and Paul Finebaum. 

I of course believe that Oregon is a very good job but not an elite job.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:31 PM, M Ostrom said:

They would likely be loyal to Oregon, but can they recruit at a high level or win at a high level?  They have inconsistent pasts, but who knows.  Look what Ed O. did at LSU

Very good question. Wilcox would have a far larger recruiting budget at Oregon and the full support of the administration. He was handcuffed at CAL in so many ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

David, in his 2nd season Kiffin has Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl. Any offer made by Oregon will be matched by Ole Miss. However, the rumor is that Lane's OC is going to Oklahoma with Brent Veneables? 

Maybe he'd come west for a chance to beat down SC under Riley? But today he is far better recruiting  territory and especially after the victory over A+M, he has Ole Miss at 2nd place in the SEC W.

Also, he gets play games when people are awake and to covered year round by the SEC network and Paul Finebaum. 

I of course believe that Oregon is a very good job but not an elite job.

I don't know how likely Oregon could grab him... but I do think it is worth a shot. Oregon does also have the pull to generally play games when most of the country is mostly awake.... a couple after dark late start games but this last year was on the whole a lot better than previous years.. at least for just Oregon. 

And again... I can't believe I am saying the things I am about wanting Oregon to pursue Lane Kiffin. 

On 12/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, David Marsh said:

I can't believe I am saying the things I am about wanting Oregon to pursue Lane Kiffin

I'm totally with you on that.  Never thought I would advocate for hiring that guy.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, David Marsh said:

And again... I can't believe I am saying the things I am about wanting Oregon to pursue Lane Kiffin. 

David, no.  Just say no.  No.

• Haha 1