FishDuck Article

Five Candidates and Two Firecrackers to Replace Cristobal and Get Oregon Back to a ‘Natty

On 12/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, David Marsh said:

And again... I can't believe I am saying the things I am about wanting Oregon to pursue Lane Kiffin. 

Me neither. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. 

Doesn't matter though, he won't accept the offer. He doesn't want to coach at Oregon or in the Pac 12.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:43 AM, Duck1984 said:

David, no.  Just say no.  No.

But in truth I don't know who else would be a solid hire. 

I think Aranda is my first choice but I don't think Oregon can pull him out of Baylor...but then again maybe Oregon can offer him more than what Baylor has. 

I don't like Matt Campbell from Iowa State... I don't think he would give the fans the offense we want to see and I think whoever Oregon hires they need to bring back the big time offense. 

Chip Kelly... no... Kelly might be good with offensive x's and o's still and the defense at UCLA right now is ok... but Kelly is in the middle of southern California and isn't bringing in big time recruiting classes, he isn't going to bring in big time recruiting classes at Oregon.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:34 AM, Quackanadian said:

I personally think Kiffin would be your guy.

High flying offense? Check

Tempo? Check

Cool slogans and connects with today's kids? Check

Learned under Saban? Check

Can do more with less? Check

We all deserve "second chances" and after he learned on the sidelines at Bama, maybe in his aging years he can settle down and bring Oregon to the promise land (or even just the playoffs).

Cheers. 

Not leaving the SEC, more money and more opportunity for talent. Mario was our talent pull.

I’d rather see Phil Knight rent Pete Carroll for a couple years to groom an OC to become the next long term coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

Me neither too. I get queasy just at the thought of seeing Kiffin's face on the Oregon sideline. Ugh.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 12/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, 30Duck said:

That would be perfect, but in college football, not just at Oregon. Coaches come and go. Look around, how many coaches have been at the same school for more than 5 years? 

Great question, every one of the coaches in the playoffs this year. It takes time to create what Mario was creating and will try to create.

He was going to get the time at Oregon, not sure the alumni will be that patient in Miami, history isn't his friend, and just because he is their friend means nothing, right Manny?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 8:01 AM, 30Duck said:

1.Culture

2.Practices and game prep (pre game management)

3.x and o’s ( in game management)

4.recruiter (HR management)

5. loyalty 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, jrw said:

CJ, I totally agree, but big-time college football is the wrong place to look for good relationships. Like they say about politics in D.C. "if you want a friend, get a dog".

College football has become a toxic, money-dominated circus that, I think, is heading for some sort of implosion. The current trends are just not sustainable. Too few schools can compete, schools have much bigger worries than the football team, fans have more choices, etc.

Everyone in the game, from the players to the ADs seem to be in it strictly for themselves. Self-interest is normal and fine, up to a point. Unlimited self-interest is destructive.

If Oregon wants to compete in that environment, it's going to have to play by the new rules, and rent a coach from among the small pool who can also play be these rules.

It all makes me want to pay less attention to college football. Yet, here I am.

IF OREGON WANTS TO COMPETE for a national championship, you just nailed it.

As I mentioned in another comment, college football today is "Not your father's Oldsmobile."

On 12/6/2021 at 1:04 PM, Pocketchange said:

1.Culture

2.Practices and game prep (pre game management)

3.x and o’s ( in game management)

4.recruiter (HR management)

5. loyalty 

In large part, the Clemson rise was based on loyalty.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:31 AM, M Ostrom said:

They would likely be loyal to Oregon, but can they recruit at a high level or win at a high level?

We don't know unless we let them try. 

What is it that makes someone a good recruiter?

On 12/6/2021 at 9:14 AM, David Marsh said:

For the right price absolutely he would. That's why I say Kiffin is the guy to take a swing at because he has shown time and time again he wants to coach on a big stage (Ole Miss is going to be stuck behind Bama) and he is always interested in a pay increase. So I think Oregon can get Kiffin... but can they hold onto him is a bigger question. 

Nobody is going to "hold onto" Lane Kiffin. But he might be able to do something exciting within 3 years. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/6/2021 at 9:50 AM, jrw said:

If Oregon wants to be a national player, it needs to go big with the coaching hire. The Wilcox-Musgrave thing would be like acknowledging that you can't compete with the big boys and you're instead settling for your comfort blanket. Chip was lightning in a bottle. That moment can't be recaptured; plus he's kind of a jerk and hates recruiting.

Fickell, Campbell, Aranda, or (I can't believe I'm saying this) Kiffen would be at the top of 

As Jesus pointed out: “No prophet (or head coach) is accepted in his hometown." Luke 4:24 DDT (Desert Duck Translation) 

As much as I like Wilcox & Musgrave, I'm a hard pass on them for Oregon HC.

Edited by Desert Duck

How about coach O, he is free now and has done a great job of rebuilding after his last natty 2 years ago . He also did well when filling in at USC for the short term

On 12/6/2021 at 11:19 AM, BigDog said:

How about coach O, he is free now and has done a great job of rebuilding after his last natty 2 years ago . He also did well when filling in at USC for the short term

No.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, BigDog said:

No, no, and no. And  no.  Read this if you think you want Orgeron.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, C J said:

What is it that makes someone a good recruiter?

I'd say the biggest thing is simple interest and desire to do it. Kelly didn't have those, and of course neither did Frost. Cristobal didn't discover a secret formula to bring in recruits.

Oregon should go all out in for Aranda. He’s a defensive guy and our roster is set up to win with defense thanks to MC’s recruiting (Hopefully they stay). I like Chris Peterson as a plan B because he would bring much needed experience to Eugene. The issue has been the offense which can be fixed with the right hire and I think that position should be filled with Sac States

Troy Taylor who just lead the Hornets to their second consecutive winning record and a place in the big sky championship game (they lost to South Dakota state). He has experience as OC of the Utes in 2017-2018 and that is his strength, play calling. The hornets finished 9th in total offense this past year. Taylor has ties in Nor Cal and Washington which would also help with Recruiting. 

One stray thought . read Urban Meyer has already worn out his welcome in Jacksonville ………………..

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:13 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we are able to bring in Dave Aranda AND his OC Jeff Grimes. Although I think if we hire Aranda, Grimes would be a strong candidate to take over the Baylor HC position. If not that duo, Lane Kiffin would be a 1B candidate for me. I'd take a shot at Josh Heupel next, then Matt Campbell and Chip Kelly. I'd be satisfied with any of these hires. I don't want Wilcox personally. I think our ceiling decreases significantly with him at the helm.

I’m glad you said Josh Heupel. I’m really surprised that a fan base that craves uptempo offense as much as this one hasn’t mentioned his name more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 6:58 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Kalani Sitake

best idea i’ve heard yet

On 12/6/2021 at 10:46 AM, Cane Duck said:

read Urban Meyer has already worn out his welcome in Jacksonville

can you imagine how fast that would wear out in eugene?? he could pull a David Reaves and be dismissed before fall camp even started. 

On 12/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, David Marsh said:

Lane Kiffin 

Lane Kiffin's max time at Oregon would be 2 years.  Either Oregon would fire him, or he would have found a prettier girlfriend.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, Wood Duck said:

I get queasy just at the thought of seeing Kiffin's face on the Oregon sideline.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, Wood Duck said:

I get queasy just at the thought of seeing Kiffin's face on the Oregon sideline.

Amen.  What's next?  Pete Carroll in the green and gold.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, C J said:

Why? Any specific reasons for this? Has he not made lemonade at Cal? He has never had a QB who could win a lot of games. 

Dave Aranda is not going to be leaving Baylor. He has already made that perfectly clear. Why not bring someone in who wants to live in Oregon, who knows Oregon, who enjoys the weather and doesn't mind the fickle fans.

I am VERY skeptical of his ability to be an elite recruiter. 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:27 AM, jrw said:

No, no, and no. And  no.  Read this if you think you want Orgeron.

Thank you for sharing this. I agree on taking a hard pass