30Duck

Mario to Miami: The Plan Started in November

Have a nice trip Mario. Bye Bye.

I am sure there is truth to this. The idea this all came about in a short period is naive. 

This was an alumni power grab, and the craziness of it speaks to this scenario. Too bad Mario decided to be part of it. I get wanting to go to Miami, it is his home, but this looks bad in the short term, longterm not set, but also doesn't look good.

There is a couple patterns set in Miami, and Mario will have to fight them both. Best of luck with that.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, Haywarduck said:

I am sure there is truth to this. The idea this all came about in a short period is naive. 

This was an alumni power grab, and the craziness of it speaks to this scenario. Too bad Mario decided to be part of it. I get wanting to go to Miami, it is his home, but this looks bad in the short term, longterm not set, but also doesn't look good.

There is a couple patterns set in Miami, and Mario will have to fight them both. Best of luck with that.

Yes.  You said it even more succinctly earlier when you talked about everyone looking out for their own self interests.  You said that we all do it, but it is the way a person actually does it that matters. 

Edited by 81DuckAlum

The amount of $$$$ that gets wasted bringing the next “program savior” into town seems kind of shameful. Contract buyouts, bonuses, etc…….

I love college football, but the money side of the football entertainment industry pushes me one step closer to turning it off. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Yes, there is no way that a deal like this gets done without conversations going on for quite a while.

Cristobal taking a big risk on this move. Once he falters at Miami (and I do believe he will) he will end up in a spot like slick within about 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I assumed his visit to his mother was a pretext to visit Miami officials.

• Like 1

“Mario is no longer a part of our program.  We wish him well.  We don’t judge.”

Good enough for Pittman, good enough for Cristobal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder how he will deal with corrupt Miami boosters giving everything from cash to hookers to his recruits and players.

• Like 1

No reason to doubt the timeline.  I assume he informed Mullens and PK since they started working on a revamped contract.  With a two to three week lead time Oregon had time to update the list of potential replacements plus time to work on the budget.  Certainly inquiries have been made to the top potential targets so finding a replacement may be quicker than I expected.  Interest that California native Dave Aranda reportedly hasn't signed the contract extension offered in late November.  Grist for the rumor mill?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

I wonder how he will deal with corrupt Miami boosters giving everything from cash to hookers to his recruits and players.

As long as it's placed under the NIL umbrella,  it's all 👍 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In November...before the first unprepared Utah spanking? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, Utki said:

I assumed his visit to his mother was a pretext to visit Miami officials.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there, but it's just added incentive

The fog which was over the program is clearing.

There was a reason we didn't adjust for the second game against Utah, and didn't execute well, the program was falling apart internally.

There is a reason Moorhead was in negotiations with Akron and left for zip, Mario was leaving.

Kudos to the fans and players for the beavs game, the coaches weren't fully there, but they won anyway.

I fully expect a lot more drama with transfers, coaching changes, and recruit movement over the next weeks, months.

I don't think I even want to be 2,000 miles away from San Antonio watching the game against Oklahoma. The program is in a mess, much bigger than I imagined hours, and days ago. Mullens might want to step away from the game, at least consider it.

I have a hard time really understanding Mario's part in this, don't judge I suppose is the mantra, but sadly it isn't a pretty picture he leaves with, if so.....

• Thumbs Up 4

Oregon made Mario not the other way around. You are what your record says u are  62-60.

Why don't we hire an ex SEC guy like Dan Mullen? His Gator record is 34-15 

If he keeps a lot of this staff, Miami will go 10-3 at best, even though he will load up on high 4 star and 5 star Florida talent.  You gotta coach them up.  Hasn't happened in 4 years at Oregon.  Game management helps too.  He'll be at FIU in 4 years

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, JDuck said:

If he keeps a lot of this staff, Miami will go 10-3 at best, even though he will load up on high 4 star and 5 star Florida talent.  You gotta coach them up.  Hasn't happened in 4 years at Oregon.  Game management helps too.  He'll be at FIU in 4 years

Yep, Mario really was the Clay Helton of the North. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"there is no way that a deal like this gets done without conversations going on for quite a while."

It seems like some people are referencing mid-November as if it were months ago... but it's only been about 20 days. Unfortunately, these kind of negotiations do not typically open-and-close overnight.

And as clean & tidy as I'm sure Mario would have liked this to have gone, rarely does it work like that. Would any of us be surprised if Miami "quietly" leaked that Mario was in negotiations with the Canes in order to put heavy pressure on him, and poison the well for him with Oregon? 

At least Mario didn't set our program back as our two previous HC's did. If we get the right replacement, as in Dave Aranda (but I don't think he'd leave Baylor for Oregon), we will continue to improve. Obviously, recruiting will take a hit this year, but I think Aranda would be able to hang onto most of our current players, and next year we would be very competitive in the recruiting world.

I wish Mario all the best. Those who are a bit but hurt over this, need to recognize that this is no longer your "Father's Oldsmobile" -- and hasn't been for at least a couple decades. 

“I haven’t talked to anybody, so let’s not create narratives, OK, as we sit here in this press conference,” Cristobal said Friday.

From after the 2nd Utah game.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 9:44 AM, Desert Duck said:

I wish Mario all the best.

Desert Duck....you are new and have been posting good thoughts for us to ponder.  Keep posting and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, jrw said:

“I haven’t talked to anybody, so let’s not create narratives, OK, as we sit here in this press conference,” Cristobal said Friday.

Pretty sure what he said was absolutely true. He hadn’t talked with anyone…..but his agent sure did. Semantics.

I wish him well.

But I also look forward to our next coach, someone who will return the excitement to Autzen Stadium.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Desert Duck....you are new and have been posting good thoughts for us to ponder.  Keep posting and WELCOME!

Thank you and very kind of you as well. It's fun to join the crew here. 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:49 AM, jrw said:

Mario might be attempting to be creative here with the truth... as in simply being misleading. He very possibly might not have directly engaged himself in conversations with Miami -- and deliberately so. This is another reason most high-profile head coaches have an agent.

• Thumbs Up 1

30Duck....thanks so much for posting this!  I do want to encourage everyone to post links and help provide the news here about Oregon Sports.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, JDuck said:

Yep!  Mario is a good recruiter, period.  That's where his skills end.   Good luck in Miami.   Hope they expect less from him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, DuckUp1 said:

Oregon made Mario not the other way around. You are what your record says u are  62-60.

Why don't we hire an ex SEC guy like Dan Mullen? His Gator record is 34-15 

No more Florida guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

University of Miami just formally announced the hiring of Mario Christobal as Head Coach

On 12/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, jrw said:

As I have said in several threads now, I completely understand the draw of going home Mario feels. On top of that, he has an ailing mother and family he wants to be close to, and Miami is his alma mater. In spite of what he said last Friday night, it is now coming out that he has been in negotiations with Miami since at least mid-November, or right about the time Moorhead started looking around to escape the sinking ship.

That all said, I can't respect a man who feels a need to be dishonest to further himself and his personal aspirations.  I'm sure many will pass it off as just the way business is done these days by coaches, but Cristobal talks about how important it is to him to be a leader of men and to have a real relationship with his players. This move reveals that he is just another huckster who, first and foremost, is looking out for number one.

Although Mario is in his 50s, he still has many lessons to learn. Perhaps the biggest one is that before you can ever hope to have a "real relationship" with another person, you have to have a real relationship with the Truth. 

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1