30Duck

Fentress: Wilcox is who Oregon Needs

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Fentress has his haters but I've always felt like he tells it like he sees it, and is right about weaknesses much of the time. 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:21 AM, FanGirlDuck said:

Fentress has his haters but I've always felt like he tells it like he sees it

I agree. He calls it as he sees it. He will ask tough questions and take a stand on something where other media types won't. He also can handle if something he says comes back and bites him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Do we value loyalty and get nine win seasons, or do we want MORE and attempt to return to the 'Natty?  I do not believe Wilcox has the recruiting chops to take us there, and his Cal roster proves it.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

As a wise poster here said in another thread, "If Wilcox were not an Oregon alum, would anybody be looking at him?".

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 10:47 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Do we value loyalty and get nine win seasons, or do we want MORE and attempt to return to the 'Natty?  I do not believe Wilcox has the recruiting chops to take us there, and his Cal roster proves it.

I'm gonna disagree.  

We need a lifer.

Cal is a tough sell with VERY sub U of O facilities.

Surround himself with good coaches who can recruit.  We were willing to go 7+ mil per year.  Justin will come cheaper and use the excess for assistants.

I want more, but average 9 and an occasional playoff, Ok.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Wilcox would need a MUCH better staff than what he has at Cal. His Cal staff is fairly underwhelming but I assume a part of that is due to a lack of resources. 

I'm not sure I want Wilcox though mostly because the Cal offense has been super underwhelming. 

I was willing to back Cristobal because he had a long term vision for the program and with the Moorhead hire I trusted the offense would improve.. and it sorta did. But the offense on the whole was really boring and boarder-line unwatchable. 

The next hire needs to bring an offense that makes Oregon fans feel like well... Oregon fans. POINTS people I'm talking about POINTS! 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 1:53 PM, jrw said:

As a wise poster here said in another thread, "If Wilcox were not an Oregon alum, would anybody be looking at him?".

This tells the story right here.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Wilcox has proven that he can do more with less, can we expect that he can do more with more?

Edited by Duck1984

Fentress defended the Anthony Brown mess.....and Wilcox will bring mediocrity to the team. If you're gonna be a big-boy program you gotta get a big-boy coach. MC recruited all over the country and that has to be the standard.....there's no reason to settle for less unless.

This will come as a shock to some on this site but being a big Oregon Duck fan and being a big "state of Oregon fan" aren't the same thing.....left years ago and never regretted it....there are better places....much better places. That said I hope the Ducks find a coach that can elevate the program and move it forward. 

Guest DUCKBILL

For once Jon Joseph and I agree on a football matter. Hire Wilcox. Have him bring Steve Greatwood with him for the offensive line coach. Then hire an offensive guru. (Helfrich would be my pick). The players are here for the making of a great team. We have the receivers and we have the long ball QBs. This is what we were missing this year.

My 2 cents to Mullens. Two criteria. The first are they a good coach? Second and of equal importance do they want  to live and raise a family in Eugene? If they are nomads, ambitious to get the most money or are they looking to make it to the NFL do not hire them. If they are from the South or the Midwest , they may not fit the West Coast culture.  This seems to matter. Please do not get in a bidding war for the latest coaching "stars". Look for a football Altman. I am looking for the long haul. Someone who will be in Eugene for 10-15 years. I am not obsessed for a Natty. Be competitive, go to the Rose Bowl regularly. Put the joy back into a GAME. Keep a perspective of being part of an educational institution and not a football factory.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:09 PM, DUCKBILL said:

Look for a football Altman.

DUCKBILL....you are writing some great posts.  Do so often please!

Mr. FishDuck

I am looking for the long haul. Someone who will be in Eugene for 10-15 years. I am not obsessed for a Natty. Be competitive, go to the Rose Bowl regularly. Put the joy back into a GAME. Keep a perspective of being part of an educational institution and not a football factory.

My 2 cents agrees with your 2 cents. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

am not obsessed for a Natty. Be competitive, go to the Rose Bowl regularly. Put the joy back into a GAME. Keep a perspective of being part of an educational institution and not a football factory.

Absolutely! Put joy and excitement  back in the game!  I don’t want to be Bama, I want us to be Oregon fast and win the day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Guest KingT

I would say negative things about Fentress but it would be impolite. Suffice to say, I don't believe he's among the more intelligent journalists out there. That said, Oregon is a big time national brand and program. It certainly has adequate draw of a big and/or accomplished names. Wilcox has never really performed at a level that Oregon commands. You need a 60/40 Recruiter/Coach mix at Oregon. A relentless recruiter who can connect with kids but is skilled in X/Os. 

Some Interesting names: Mullens, Chip, Harrell, Bohl, Brohm, Fleck, Ludwig...

I keep thinking about how much Mario let everyone down with his obvious loss of focus in the last three weeks. Getting beat by virtually the same score by the same team using virtually the same plan is unforeseen at this level. As much as I understand and support his move, I think his last three weeks were a real let down to those kids and to the program.

I have no doubt a quality Coach will be on site within 10 days.

On 12/6/2021 at 1:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If you compare his recruiting budget at CAL , admissions restrictions and NO support from the administration he didn't have a decent recruiting platform.

Any 'smooth talker' you bring in from outside the Oregon family is much more likely to bolt? Look at Clemson. Dabo kept the same staff as he slowly built up the program.

What you need as Dabo found out, is a QB like Watson or Lawrence. Or coaching up a guy like Thompson? I think Musgrave would do fine as an OC and I wasn't all that impressed by DeRuyter.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 12:28 PM, Pocketchange said:

Absolutely! Put joy and excitement  back in the game!  I don’t want to be Bama, I want us to be Oregon fast and win the day.

Have you seen Alabama this year? They ARE Oregon fast and may win the Natty.

• Thumbs Up 1

I typically don’t watch Alabama football and the last guy who told us that we were going to be the Alabama of the west implemented a slow offense.

My initial point is I want an Oregon brand that is Oregon.  We should bring in an innovator instead of copying.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

For once Jon Joseph and I agree on a football matter. Hire Wilcox. Have him bring Steve Greatwood with him for the offensive line coach. Then hire an offensive guru. (Helfrich would be my pick). The players are here for the making of a great team. We have the receivers and we have the long ball QBs. This is what we were missing this year.

My 2 cents to Mullens. Two criteria. The first are they a good coach? Second and of equal importance do they want  to live and raise a family in Eugene? If they are nomads, ambitious to get the most money or are they looking to make it to the NFL do not hire them. If they are from the South or the Midwest , they may not fit the West Coast culture.  This seems to matter. Please do not get in a bidding war for the latest coaching "stars". Look for a football Altman. I am looking for the long haul. Someone who will be in Eugene for 10-15 years. I am not obsessed for a Natty. Be competitive, go to the Rose Bowl regularly. Put the joy back into a GAME. Keep a perspective of being part of an educational institution and not a football factory.

And for probably the only time, beginning with when we both posted on eDuck over 20 years ago, I agree with Duckbill.  There was a long hiatus where I not only lurked and did not post, but also did not even view Duck sites.  Just too busy doing other things.  In addition to those staff named above, add Peter Sirmon.

It's long past time the Duck people who make the big decisions, Phil, Penny, Pat K and Malitus (sp?), probably a few others, considered who we are and who they are.  Northwest people are different from most of the rest of the country.  I will be far more comfortable with a staff made up of people from our area of the country.  Oregon played some great football under Bellotti and Helfrich.  We can do that again with people who have the full confidence of their staff and players.  Obvious to me that was not the case over the past two Utah contests.

• Like 1

THIS. 

I get it folks, I really do.  Twice burned.  I would be shocked if there weren't a strong pull to have a guarantee (as much as that is possible in this business) you won't be again.  And indulging that instinct will get you killed (metaphorically speaking).  It is panicked overreation.

After 2 years of the 'he'll never leave us' saftey blanket soothes the pain of today, the 'why are we stuck in mediocrity when...' voices will kick back in.  As they should.

There is a reason Wilcox was never in consideration for an open role this time around and it isn't because he's a 'diamond in the rough' all of these foolish programs can't see.  He isn't Russell Wilson with a third round pick.  He's Garder Minshew: a feel good story with some flashes of talent but who will never likely be more than a valuable back up.

I know you all love the man for what he did for you back in the Gang Green days but let those memories stay where they belong.  In the fond and rose colored storied yarn of Oregon's ascent from also-ran in this great conference of ours.

Edited by CalBear95

#1  Sitake out of BYU if they can get him. He's at his alma mater but maybe the challenge would be enough. 

#2 Areanda out of Baylor west coast guy.

#3 J Tedford is healthy and wants to coach again

If they don't work get me J Wilcox. I want someone who wants to be here for the long haul.

I have to disagree. It is extremely difficult to recruit top level players to Berkeley. On a good day the stadium may be half full, the facilities pale in comparison to most Pac-12 schools…..and certainly don’t remotely come close to those at Oregon.  Given what Oregon has to offer, I can’t help but believe Wilcox can recruit a helluva lot better than he did at Cal.

My main concern is what type of offense will Wilcox, a defensive coach, put on the field. Hopefully, something productive and exciting that will give the fans what they have been missing these last few years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, David Marsh said:

Wilcox would need a MUCH better staff than what he has at Cal. His Cal staff is fairly underwhelming but I assume a part of that is due to a lack of resources. 

I'm not sure I want Wilcox though mostly because the Cal offense has been super underwhelming. 

I was willing to back Cristobal because he had a long term vision for the program and with the Moorhead hire I trusted the offense would improve.. and it sorta did. But the offense on the whole was really boring and boarder-line unwatchable. 

The next hire needs to bring an offense that makes Oregon fans feel like well... Oregon fans. POINTS people I'm talking about POINTS! 

IMHO, Cal football is an unmitigated disaster and has been for quite some time. Given the conditions there (including political), I don't think anyone could turn that program into a consistent winner.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest DUCKBILL

Grandpa Duck. I think you have me confused with another Duckbill. I have only written on Charles' site for one or two years. You are not the first to have me confused with another writer. In any case I am honored to have your reply as I think you have written many intelligent posts. Thank you.

Cal, like UCLA recruits students like NASA recruits astronauts.  Not many astronauts win national titles.  

I like that Fentress will ask tough questions.  But he's even more arrogant than I am.  And I don't agree with much he has to say. 

There are some good Coordinators on both sides of the ball Phil can recruit and incentivize to 8 million.  

I'm no sports world negotiator, but that's my angle.  I saw some damn good coaching this weekend.  Somebody in that group of Coordinators is wise enough to duplicate what the Snake did- hire a  good ensemble of coaches (but this time more effective at developing players and game time coaching) and recruit like the best.

The coaching talent is out there.  A Coordinators that has been preparing himself has paid attention the past five years.  Let's hope that man is ready to eventually surpass the fine job we've experienced the past twelve years.

Rest of your life coach?  I don't see that happening anywhere.  The college football world has changed forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brandon Staley, do you have a brother?

• Thumbs Up 1

Slick said I love it here, Mario said he would never want to leave, the next guy is going to say, who cares, what can you do for us! That is the bottomline of any negotiation.

What are you going to do for us, and you evaluate what we are going to do for you, end of story. WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE STORIES!

5wvpgo.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 1:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I agree with Charles on this.  Wilcox is not the answer as far as I am concern.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 1:46 PM, Mike West said:

Cal, like UCLA recruits students like NASA recruits astronauts.  Not many astronauts win national titles.  

I like that Fentress will ask tough questions.  But he's even more arrogant than I am.  And I don't agree with much he has to say. 

There are some good Coordinators on both sides of the ball Phil can recruit and incentivize to 8 million.  

I'm no sports world negotiator, but that's my angle.  I saw some damn good coaching this weekend.  Somebody in that group of Coordinators is wise enough to duplicate what the Snake did- hire a  good ensemble of coaches (but this time more effective at developing players and game time coaching) and recruit like the best.

The coaching talent is out there.  A Coordinators that has been preparing himself has paid attention the past five years.  Let's hope that man is ready to eventually surpass the fine job we've experienced the past twelve years.

Rest of your life coach?  I don't see that happening anywhere.  The college football world has changed forever.

The coaching carousel is here to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never trust Fentress he has some "issue" with the Ducks and especially the fans.

The Natty is what the players aspire to. If you aren't talking Natty, players aren't signing letters of intent.