30Duck

Mullens: "My Phone is Blowing up"

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a BIG help for the coaching search was the deal that was released by Canzano yesterday about how much money Oregon and Phil were willing to pay for a head coach. I think that would bring a lot of interest because it shows Oregon is serious. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Twice burned, need a lifer, not rental, Wilcox +

I'm sure Mullens sent a thank you note to FSU and they have been on his Xmas list for 4 years now.

Miami next. 

From the sounds of what recruits said this weekend in regard to MC's visits, it was still up in the air.

I think MC did it with more class, didn't use "company plane and resources" for his ditch.  But that is like calling Moe the smart stooge.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

There ia no such thing as a lifer if you want  9 or 10 wins a season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

"My phone is blowing up."

Maybe he just has one of those old Samsung Galaxy Note 7s.

Edited by jrw
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2021 at 1:48 PM, David Marsh said:

I think a BIG help for the coaching search was the deal that was released by Canzano yesterday about how much money Oregon and Phil were willing to pay for a head coach. I think that would bring a lot of interest because it shows Oregon is serious. 

LOL!!! Yes. Those kind of numbers will get a lot of folks crawling out of the woodwork. 

“Hi, Mr. Mullens. This is Billie Swaggart down here in Florida. I hear there’s an opening out there in Ory-gone. Is it still paying $8M a year”?

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, Steven A said:

Twice burned, need a lifer, not rental,

I wouldn't say Cristobal burned him. MC didn't accept an extension and left after four years. Kelly left after four years as well for the NFL. 

I was shocked to hear MC was leaving but I'm not actually angry with him leaving. I know some fans are angry and feel betrayed but this is also football. 

I would like a lifer... but Oregon has had only two "lifers" in the past 20 years. Mike Bellotti and Mark Helfrich... Bellotti retired and Helfrich was fired. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

In this day and age unless you are Alabama/Clemson or a guy by the name of Kirby Smart, coaches will usually bolt after they even get to the playoffs a few times or even 1 time NC. Then its off the the next place for more $$$.----And who could blame them?

Edited by 1Ducker1

Other Oregon lifers might include Rich Brooks, Nick Aliotti, Neal Zoumboukos, Steve Greatwood, Jimmy Radcliffe, Don Pelham, and Gary Campbell.  

Edited by Duck1984

On 12/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, jrw said:

I’ve got it on good authority he still uses rotary dial.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, Washington Waddler said:

I’ve got it on good authority he still uses rotary dial.

image.jpeg.8c8bd6380084000f94255bce98bf3878.jpeg

• Haha 1

My main concern, losing recruits and or existing players to the transfer portal.  How many of the coaching staff will be going with him?

• Thumbs Up 1

I really want to thank Coach Cristobal for everything he did for the Oregon program. I know that’s a tough decision when the other choice is home and the fact that his mom is having health concerns. It’s tough, and I wish him and his family the best. 

As far as who I would like to see contacted, it’s Lane Kiffin or Josh Heupel. Kiffin is a name that I think can really keep a recruiting class together and Heupel has such a strong record of explosive offenses. 

I have to be mad today. I'll think about replacements tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:43 AM, 30Duck said:

My phone is blowing up means agents are calling to see if they can get some of the stupid money offered Cristobal.

What I want to know is, is Mullens busy on the phone finalizing qualified candidates. I highly doubt Riley called sc, or Kelley called LSU, that is not how it works. You have to do the work Rob, I hope you are doing the work now!

Who are you getting on the plane to Eugene, now!

5wtvyl.jpg

• Haha 1

An agent wouldn’t be worth squat if they were not on the phone asking questions regarding this position. They all try to use the “interest from another University” as leverage. 

Sure would be interesting to hear the conversations of “Oregon’s Braintrust” regarding the possible candidates. 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, 30Duck said:

Mullen hired by Mullens? Another New Hampshire boy, as is Mullen, did a pretty good job at Oregon?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, David Marsh said:

I wouldn't say Cristobal burned him. MC didn't accept an extension and left after four years. Kelly left after four years as well for the NFL. 

I was shocked to hear MC was leaving but I'm not actually angry with him leaving. I know some fans are angry and feel betrayed but this is also football. 

I would like a lifer... but Oregon has had only two "lifers" in the past 20 years. Mike Bellotti and Mark Helfrich... Bellotti retired and Helfrich was fired. 

I for one am very happy he is leaving. Recruit like a CFP contender? Yes. Coach like a CFP contender? NO!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

JON WILNER:

Wilcox

Harsin

Kelly

Coach Pete

Sitake

Tedford.

Wilner stresses that someone has to be hired who gives a whip about Oregon.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:46 PM, Jon Joseph said:

JON WILNER:

Wilcox

Harsin

Kelly

Coach Pete

Sitake

Tedford.

And... I don't like this list at all. 

I don't think any of these names get us to the promised land. I think Oregon would be a good team but only ever play for a Rose Bowl. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, David Marsh said:

I know some fans are angry and feel betrayed but this is also football. 

I'm happy he's gone. I hated his offense, lack of coaching skills, and his unshakable determination not to learn from his mistakes.

I'm unhappy with the way he played everyone, pretending nothing was going on when it obviously was. At best you could term his post-game press conference as disingenuous. I'd call it something worse.

Let's remember that he made these comments after he'd been presented with PK's offer and let it sit idle all day. Reporters had asked him legitimate questions, and he was "dickish" in his responses until finally settling on this:

"Let's not create narratives as we sit here in this press conference." said Cristobal, whose Ducks lost to Utah twice in three weeks by a combined final of 76-17.

"Oregon is working on some stuff for me, that's what I have right now, and that's the extent of that conversation.

"If I had any plans, if I had a decision to make or if I had something to report, I would. If there is anything to report, I'd report it. I always have?'

For a guy who presented himself as "Mr. Sincerity," he was anything but.

I suspect that has a lot to do with some fans feeling angry and betrayed. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recruits he visited on Saturday feel the same way

• Thumbs Up 1

Like I said before, we learned Mario is a very good salesman, and that is still true. There were players who followed slick to the FSU killing fields and there will be those who follow Mario, they believe him, no matter what.

I do think some will start to question his sincerity, and should. The Oregon Football Program is rock solid, same program as before, they just lost their salesman. We will be hiring a new coach who will be doing more than sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, David Marsh said:

I don't think any of these names get us to the promised land. I think Oregon would be a good team but only ever play for a Rose Bowl. 

I’m with you. There’s nothing real exciting about that list.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would prefer we pass on Kiffin. he was a disaster and embarrassment at usc. i don’t care how much he’s “improved” as a coach, oregon deserves better than sc’s sloppy seconds. in fact, if OR is targeting ANY former or current pac12 coaches, it would be a major disappointment. 

imho, we need a young, nfl assistant 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:48 AM, Steven A said:

Twice burned, need a lifer, not rental, Wilcox +

I'm sure Mullens sent a thank you note to FSU and they have been on his Xmas list for 4 years now.

Miami next. 

From the sounds of what recruits said this weekend in regard to MC's visits, it was still up in the air.

I think MC did it with more class, didn't use "company plane and resources" for his ditch.  But that is like calling Moe the smart stooge.

So good!

Yes, say all you want about the values of legacy and family and all that is certainly true . . . but for me it has been clearly revealed that after Cristobal lucked out being in the shadow of Herbert who he literally handcuffed while he was here and being a super-recruiting-salesman that he is truly - as a game and development coach - an absolute DUMMY.  

I am greatly relieved he is leaving. His coaching was a travesty, and the players knew it far sooner than the rest of us did.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, DR Hilarius said:

please everyone stop w the Kiffin talk. he was a disaster and embarrassment at usc. i don’t care how much he’s “improved” as a coach, oregon deserves better than sc’s sloppy seconds. in fact, if OR is targeting ANY former or current pac12 coaches, it would be a major disappointment. 

imho, we need a young, nfl assistant 

And after 2-3 years they'll go back to the NFL as an HC. The only coach that will stay long term is one thats older and who is looking at

Oregon as a last hurrah or a home grown alumn. In between those are splashy hires that'll say they're super excited to be here and want to

make Oregon the face of college football on the west coast and plan to be here forever, but just like Tag and MC or even Chip when the

dream job comes calling they're gone. 

On 12/6/2021 at 2:18 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

when the

dream job comes calling they're gone. 

And we get to enjoy those dreams becoming nightmares.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, David Marsh said:

I respect your take. But was Mario ever going beyond the RB when it is an exhibition game. You need a top drawer QB to make the CFP. Mario buried Herbert's talent. You need to keep a staff together as did Dabo during Clemson's lean years.

And when you recruit a QB like Watson or Lawrence, he must be utilized.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, jrw said:

"My phone is blowing up."

🤣

Why not bring in some folks who's dream job IS Oregon?

Imagine the joy of winning it all with home state guys at the helm. 

Think about the pride and joy you have when thinking about Herbert killing it for the Ducks and then taking it to another level in the NFL. 

Wilcox is hands down a better coach than Mario will ever be. Perhaps (with Phil at his side) he will become just as good a recruiter as well. Let's face it, Nike is the best recruiter the UofO has. Without it Mario would not have had near the success he did on the recruiting trail.

We also need to recognize that recruiting does not equate to scores in games. If we haven't learned that from the past two games against Utah then I don't know what else to say.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

You need to keep a staff together as did Dabo during Clemson's lean years.

But will anyone on that list actually retain the current staff? Will the current staff just look at leaving? 

Mirabal is going to Miami... hasn't said it yet but he and MC are from the Miami area and it is only a matter of time until MC brings his best friend with him to Miami. 

Everyone on the list with potential Duck connections had connections to an old staff that is mostly retired at this point. Whoever they bring in they will have to recruit and maintain as much of the class as possible and THEN bring in their new staff most likely. 

It would be nice not to have as much staff turnover from year to year but unless they hire from within, this staff probably won't stick around. 

By the way, after 13 weeks of NFL football, guess which quarterback RIGHT NOW has the HIGHEST QBR in the entire NFL?

Justin Herbert.

And Cristobal had nothing to do with it.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, Jon Joseph and David Marsh,

Who do you 2 guys think would be a good fit for the Ducks?  For not just the head coach, but the OC and DC?