Duck1984

Miami’s Big Gamble

From CBS Sports:

Cristobal is just 11-6 over his last 17 games at Oregon, and his offenses aren't exactly the most fan-friendly to watch. Cristobal's tenure ended with a 38-10 blowout loss to Utah in the 2021 Pac-12 Championship Game just two weeks after the Ducks were similarly dismantled by the Utes, 38-7 in Salt Lake City.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was anxiety ridden thinking Oregon was going to give a huge long term contrac to a clearly inferior coach that was also highly inflexible.  Nice for him that he gets to go home but WHEWWW!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Yeah, if the past is the best predictor of the future (not always a good bet), Miami may be in for some rough times. Mario's won/lost record is not great.

I'm curious what people think of his prospects for success. Or, maybe it's time to stop thinking about Mario completely.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, jrw said:

I'm curious what people think of his prospects for success. Or, maybe it's time to stop thinking about Mario completely.

I might think about it for a few minutes longer, but am almost ready to wipe and flush the Cristobal.

Cristobal will be getting the money, but not the support he got at Oregon. The facilities and the many items most don't notice which go into making a program successful.

A gamble is definitely when you take something away from what made it successful and expect that to continue. That is what Miami is doing. I wouldn't put my money on that one. My money is on the program which has won and keeps winning with each coach it hires.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:15 PM, Utki said:

I was anxiety ridden thinking Oregon was going to give a huge long term contrac to a clearly inferior coach that was also highly inflexible.  Nice for him that he gets to go home but WHEWWW!

Totally agree, great recruiter, poor game manager and couldn’t seem to motivate, WHICH is Everything IMHO

On 12/6/2021 at 12:28 PM, Duck1984 said:

I might think about it for a few minutes longer, but am almost ready to wipe and flush the Cristobal.

I'd suggest getting the flushing out of your system, because the MC is gone. Even if he wanted to come back, he is now a tainted product... at best. That contract they put in front of him on Saturday is now long gone.

I wish MC all the best, but like Cortez, he has destroyed his ships -- along with any dream of a possible return ticket. Even the Panama Canal is now officially closed to Mario.

Next coach up! And fast -- as in like within 1 week.

If Cristobal wins a conference title, he's done his job.  

The ACC has been Clemson and everybody else.  Mario has a shot.  Like it or not.  

Natty? Don't see it unless he REALLY CHANGES. 

He won't get the head start he got here, so he better start changing pronto.  

I think Miami hired a Face/Image for the team. I doubt if he will run the offense.

The other real problem with the Cristobal hire is Miami already has the number 11 recruit class in the nation. It is the number 2 class behind Clemson in the ACC, but the Miami problem isn't the recruiting.

Miami just hired a salesman to get better output out of their top notch recruits, again a gamble I don't put money on. The main problem is the salesman thinks he is the engineer, that never ends well. Fortunately he isn't in charge of accounting too.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1