30Duck

Canzano: "Oregon's Choices"

My vote (opinion) is for long term stability.

Wilcox and Oregon alums are Ducks, and they know their x's and o's.  Given the resources - facilities and support - that Oregon has I believe they will be a major improvement for Oregon football!

Splashy will continue this cycle of drama and harm every 2 to 3 years!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I think the money only wants to be spent on a chance to win it all. 

I find it interesting Canzano seems to think it is local or splashy, Altman wasn't either. We need another Altman if the splashy doesn't get up out of their seat at the idea of coaching at Oregon.

There are other options other than local or splashy, and I think that is where we will end up, hopefully sooner than later.

I will be happy with whatever is the choice because I trust the choice will be like Altman, maybe a little underwhelming, but that is how Oregon rolls. We make great coaches, and the idea we won't look at some candidates is absurd. We need to look at everyone with an eye for who will fit best even if it isn't flashy. We have had enough flash!

Cristobal was very lucky, and better hope that lucks lasts. Bottomline Cristobal is a great salesman, that is what we learned most about him,  just one aspect of being a great coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hate to agree with Canzano, but I think he has nailed it. 

Ducks hire a slimeball like Urban Meyer & I'll become an NFL junkie. Something like that does not fit our University culture.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:31 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

Ducks hire a slimeball like Urban Meyer & I'll become an NFL junkie. Something like that does not fit our University culture.

I really hope this hire is one under the radar, which blows us away longterm. I don't want to see one of the win at all costs types, but we may end up having to digest something we don't like, we will see.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Many thanks again to 30Duck for his posting of articles and news!

Mr. FishDuck

I am just going to throw it out there, cause I have been right but wrong then right again, I got nothing to lose.  And the alcohol is a great, "Dude, what was I thinking", excuse.  I believe it is Chipserendipity, Chip is coming to the end of his contract at UCLA.  Helf has been in coaching retirement, since the Bears Boot.  And last but certainly least, Scott Frost, has a one year, reduced pay, all the pressure you can eat tenure at Nebraska.  So bring in the Three Amigo's and build Duck's Dynasty 2.0.  And with all that they have learned from being away, for so long, ROBO Duck could be a THING!

College Football Reaction GIF by Nissan USA

Guest Axel
On 12/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, Haywarduck said:

I think the money only wants to be spent on a chance to win it all. 

I find it interesting Canzano seems to think it is local or splashy, Altman wasn't either. We need another Altman if the splashy doesn't get up out of their seat at the idea of coaching at Oregon.

There are other options other than local or splashy, and I think that is where we will end up, hopefully sooner than later.

I will be happy with whatever is the choice because I trust the choice will be like Altman, maybe a little underwhelming, but that is how Oregon rolls. We make great coaches, and the idea we won't look at some candidates is absurd. We need to look at everyone with an eye for who will fit best even if it isn't flashy. We have had enough flash!

Cristobal was very lucky, and better hope that lucks lasts. Bottomline Cristobal is a great salesman, that is what we learned most about him,  just one aspect of being a great coach.

Your bottom-line assessment is spot on: Mario Cristobal is a great salesman. We all bought into his spiel for a while, but gradually more and more of us saw through him, including his players. Miami has done Oregon a huge favor by luring him away. Watch and see. 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, EzDucksIt said:

And last but certainly least, Scott Frost, has a one year, reduced pay, all the pressure you can eat tenure at Nebraska.  So bring in the Three Amigo's and build Duck's Dynasty 2.0.

But who is going to recruit? 

Probably Helfrich as he was the best recruiter of those three... 

I can say it only so many times and maybe that should be a clue to myself.

This 'blast from the past,' 'get the band back together,' 'hire local hero from days or yore' thinking is flawed in my view.  

Lest any of you think I am advocating hiring a mercenary or someone who clashes with Oregon's culture I am not.  My grandparents lived in Woodburn and my aunt (thier daughter) lived in Eugene on Nixon street.  I spent many a summer going to the 5th Street Market and Prince Pucklers.  In my early 20's I was a lost soul and spent the summer working and staying at my aunt's house.  I hit up the Xenon cafe.  Caught Emerald games.  Haunted the High Street pub.  I try and go the game when Cal comes to Autzen (and I never wear a rain coat because, well, you know). 

I have nothing but fond memories of my times spent there and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

While I am not an alum and in no way can make the claim to any level of bond that only that type of relationship can forge, I have a love affair with Eugene.  What makes the city and school special is something I would hate to see thrown on the bonfire of ambition for football dominance.

So take this with how it is intended (tough love): you are better than this and I hope for the team's sake, the administration rises up and acts with its head and not some whacked out opium induced dream of how we need to 'get back to our roots.'  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

^^^^^^Bingo!!!

On 12/6/2021 at 1:29 PM, 30Duck said:

I'm guessing MC is going to share the least greatest kept secret since about time began.

• Haha 1

Mr FishDuck: Many thanks for the freindly edits to what is probably my need to mediate and come back in a bit. 🙂

Yes, the sentimentality is something that needs to be resigned to wistful moments with a glass of brandy when looking at a snowy winter evening. It's a nice memory but it's gone. 

What is needed is a good coach who knows the golden opportunity that's being handed to them here and doesn't need to be in their hometown to make magic happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In today's College football, the Coach who stays at a school for longer than 5 or 6 years is there because no other school wanted him, or he's Nick Saban. Short of Alabama, every school is a stepping stone. Notre Dame doesn't have coaches leave, until Kelly did. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the intangible things that matter most in life. Not splashy, not fancy not gaudy. Especially in the greater state of Oregon (i.e. not just Eugene and campus). Kindness, loyalty, can do attitudes, will and heart define our great state. Those are characteristics that I would like to see prioritized.

I wonder how much of the divergence in who people want here on FishDuck is correlated with where people are from. Is it just the Oregonians who are in favor of bringing it all back home? Probably not all, but my guess is there may be a fairly strong correlation with this desire.

Chris Peterson all the way, as long as he is no longer burnt out.   The other local guys like Wilcox or Chip don't have the winning records or currently relevant skills to take us back to CFP.

The splashy guys are going to be short-timers for sure.  Not sure that's best for Oregon.  But again, we live in a different time and have to move with it too.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Chris Peterson all the way, as long as he is no longer burnt out.

He hated modern day recruiting

I hear you David, not the strength of that bunch but you can not argue with the records.  But with Mario having done it for three years straight, there is NO Denying it can be done.  But what you have not said is that both Chip and Helf got Oregon to the NCG with coached up talent and the occasional high four and five star players.  Had Oregon played in 2020, a Covid Free year, would Mario have been lucky enough to even be the PAC-12 Champ.  I think it would have shown, nothing changed with Arroyo moving on and MC needed to change.

My point was, three guys who could put together an offense that operates at warp speed.  With tempo, can make on the fly adjustment to take advantage of teams with less depth.  Defenses have come a long way to meeting the speed of the Blur but not the options those guys implemented.  Nick Saban, has the weapons to make that system effective with his coaching hires of Kiffen and Sark who have both moved on to HC at good schools.  But the one thing that has been clear, as far as I see, is that often his talent is depleted to the Draft every couple years.

If I look at how Shough played in his first several games in 2020, there are issues right away.  One being a new OC and system.  Two Shough does not look comfortable making the reads pre snap or through progressions, hesitates, slow to run and decision making.  This is understandable, New Coach, New System but then throw in COVID and no contact, no practice just a terrible situation for all.  Then after the season, he Portals???????  That tells me, something happened with the coaching.  Why do I say that, AB so inconsistent but left in the games.  No attempt to get scores up, so that back ups can get playing time, experience.  Example, 2021 Championship game Utah, QB back ups on the bench, while AB still in a game we are losing by 28 points.  There is NO excuse for that and MC quit on our team right there.  Even with the defense still fighting, Mario should be ashamed.  I am calling it now, Mario will be known as "Slick Willie 2 at The U".