latracey

Informed Prediction Time: Chip Kelly Might be the Next Guy

Love him, or hate him, my trusty behind the scenes people in The Know tell me Mullens/Uncle Phil have been in negotiations with none other than Charles "Chip" Kelly. They want a quick hire to minimize damage and head off the exodus of players and recruits and Kelly is interested. 

My sources are almost always right on the money. They told me in mid-November that Cristobal was having an illicit affair with Miami and that he was probably going to go.

Now you know... 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 12:42 PM, latracey said:

Love him, or hate him, my trusty behind the scenes people in The Know tell me Mullens/Uncle Phil have been in negotiations with none other than Charles "Chip" Kelly. They want a quick hire to minimize damage and head off the exodus of players and recruits and Kelly is interested. 

My sources are almost always right on the money. They told me in mid-November that Cristobal was having an illicit affair with Miami and that he was probably going to go.

Now you know... 

Interesting. Never really cared for his personality, but loved watching his teams play football. I actually think he'd do quite well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Good chance his UCLA team would have beat us this year if DTR didn't get knocked out of the game at the end...

• Thumbs Up 1

Can he hire a Chief Recruiting Officer?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

My personal feeling is that out of all the former Ducks who may be interested Kelly is the one I would go with.

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved what Chip did while at Oregon. It was nothing less than beyond cutting edge and jaw dropping. What he did with the talent we had was spectacular. I'm not sure if we'll ever have another coach with a 86+% winning record over 4 seasons.

But the product had a shelf life and the defenses out there caught up. 

Since Oregon, he's done nothing remotely impressive. I don't think we're going to catch "lightning in a bottle" with him again. And if I'm him, knowing how high the expectations are today, unless he's just looking for a money grab, I'd pass on the gig.

Besides that, the guy despises the entire recruiting realm. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

If they do that they will have to have a compliance officer watching his every move!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:48 PM, jrw said:

Boy oh boy.....

Chip does not like to recruit. He certainly checks alot of boxes, though.

These top 10 recruiting classes didn't just arrive at Oregon. They were recruited.....

Some for a few years. And recruited hard.....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

As a side note, Justin Wilcox is a former student of mine, as well as a former player I had the honor of coaching back when he was in middle school in Junction City. He was our skilled beyond his years quarterback, and he led us to an undefeated season. I won't even get into what it was like getting to know his father Dave, who was one of my childhood heroes. I love the man Justin has grown into. He is intelligent, has integrity, is a native Oregonian and former Oregon player, and he is a great coach. 

While you might question the job he has done at Cal, you have to realize that Cal is hampered in many ways that Oregon is not. Given the resources he would have at his disposal at Oregon, he would do an amazing job here, and as Canzano said in his article in the Oregonian, he would be loyal and true to the Ducks. 

If things with Kelly fall through, I hope Mullens/Uncle Phil knock on Justin's door. Big and splashy are sexy, but I'm passionate about my love for our Duck sports programs. We don't need another wind bag huckster who can sell ice cubes to Eskimos, but always have their ear to the rails for the next chance to jump on a bigger and better train. We need a real and true solid citizen who is loyal to Oregon and who has a real relationship with the Truth.

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Chip doesn't have to run the same blur surprise offence as he did when at Oregon. He went 8-4 this year with much less talent than Oregon

has. Take away the P12 Champ game and thats only two less wins that MC got the Ducks. Chips NFL tour was a bust. Where else would he

need to go? Certainly not back to NH. Yeah he sucks at recruiting but some of that can be fixed with really good recruiting assistant

coaches. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Like 1

In three years...people would not be happy with Chip Kelly, and this is from the guy who created the videos of his offense watched over two million times.

If Chip could recreate what Chip did at Oregon....he would have done it in four years at UCLA.  Hire Chip and you will get what I wrote years ago...."eight or nine wins...Mora or less."  (Jim Mora was the prior coach they fired who had a 10 win season, and 8-9 win seasons.)  They did not improve things with Chip...

And the boosters there HATE him, as he has alienated so many people as he did at Oregon.  Let's not turn to Oregon re-treads....

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Chip doesn't have to run the same blur surprise offence as he did when at Oregon. He went 8-4 this year with much less talent than Oregon

has. Take away the P12 Champ game and thats only one less win that MC got the Ducks. Chips NFL tour was a bust. Where else would he

need to go? Certainly not back to NH. Yeah he sucks at recruiting but some of that can be fixed with really good recruiting assistant

coaches. 

I think the head coach is the closer. I just don't see it working with CK

Especially with the boom going on at USC. We are going to need someone to mitigate that if we want to be competitive yr in yr out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In three years...people would not be happy with Chip Kelly, and this is from the guy who created the videos of his offense watched over two million times.

If Chip could recreate what Chip did at Oregon....he would have done it in four years at UCLA.  Hire Chip and you will get what I wrote years ago...."eight or nine wins...Mora or less."  (Jim Mora was the prior coach they fired who had a 10 win season, and 8-9 win seasons.)  They did not improve things with Chip...

And the boosters there HATE him, as he has alienated so many people as he did at Oregon.  Let's not turn to Oregon re-treads....

In the words of Obi-wan Kenobi: "This is not the coach you are looking for."

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

As far as Chip's recruiting weaknesses go, I think he has learned a lot on that front. He certainly is super familiar with recruiting in Southern California at this point, and it won't hurt to have Phil Knight's support when it comes enticing players with NIL. I also think he would make sure to have skilled recruiters on his staff.

Could Chip recreate the magic that he brought to Oregon in his first go round? You bet he could. The man is an offensive genius who knows the ropes at Oregon and who knows how to get the most of the resources he has available to him here.

It's true he hasn't been able to translate his success at Oregon anywhere else, although he did just have a pretty good season at UCLA. If he can somehow keep the boosters from having his head, I think UCLA's  future trajectory is positive.

He's a character who rubs many the wrong way, but you have to admit, his brand of football extremely entertaining. His whole persona is pretty entertaining, as far as that goes.

That all said, my vote is 100% for Justin Wilcox, however, I don't get a vote. My inside people are telling me the ones who do are casting their nets towards Charles... Kelly that is.

Edited by latracey

On 12/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, deschutesduck said:

Good chance his UCLA team would have beat us this year if DTR didn't get knocked out of the game at the end...

Aww yes... in another game where Brown was literally throwing the game away. 

• Like 1

God no!  Please don't hire Chip Kelly.  Don't even talk to the man.  He's yesterday's news.

Why is the program panicking like this???  Stuff like this probably scares away good candidates because - if this is at all true - it looks like (and actually is) the administration is thrashing around wildly in a massive, irrational panic.  Would you want to work with a group of folks that can't keep their head when the going gets tough?  

These people are supposedly smart business people but I have to say, if stories like this are at all true, it is amazing they got as far as they did.  This type of behavior is the hallmark of really bad management.  Running back to the familiar rather than lean into the discomfort of what is possible greatness.

Yeah, I'm bitter.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

has.

But will Kelly maintain the same level of talent? Probably not... he gets 3 maybe 4 years out of the talent that we have and then its a quick nose dive. 

We saw this story before. Kelly's first run at Oregon was magical because the timing was PERFECT and he got easy recruiting wins because of it. Skip forward three years and you have Helfrich, who did basically everything Kelly had done but the world of College Football had changed. Helfrich's offense was even better than Kelly's! But the model of reruiting didn't change and Helfrich was sacked because he couldn't recruit. 

Granted Helfrich also had some small sanctions from the Kelly era... but still. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:42 PM, latracey said:

They told me in mid-November that Cristobal was having an illicit affair with Miami and that he was probably going to go.

And Mullens said "what was shared with me is that the OFFICIAL CONTACT came on Saturday morning. That’s what’s been shared with me.”  

With agents involved, how could it be any different????

After thinking about this Im ALMOST ready to BET $$ that Mullens hires Chip. 

I have spoken to the porcelain god extensively and thats what it is saying after talking with my buddies Sam Adams Jose Cuervo and Jim Beam.

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2021 at 1:23 PM, David Marsh said:

But will Kelly maintain the same level of talent? Probably not... he gets 3 maybe 4 years out of the talent that we have and then its a quick nose dive. 

We saw this story before. Kelly's first run at Oregon was magical because the timing was PERFECT and he got easy recruiting wins because of it. Skip forward three years and you have Helfrich, who did basically everything Kelly had done but the world of College Football had changed. Helfrich's offense was even better than Kelly's! But the model of reruiting didn't change and Helfrich was sacked because he couldn't recruit. 

Granted Helfrich also had some small sanctions from the Kelly era... but still. 

… and an awful DC.  I think we all under appreciated Nick

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 4:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I’m with you and Matt Prehm. 

"Are you hiring Chip Kelly because of what he did at Oregon from 2007-2012? Or are you hiring Chip Kelly the UCLA head coach and what he's done there? College football has drastically changed since his Oregon days. So has his success."

• Thumbs Up 2

No

Oregon

Retreads

Thank you 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:15 PM, latracey said:

As far as Chip's recruiting weaknesses go, I think he has learned a lot on that front. He certainly is super familiar with recruiting in Southern California at this point, and it won't hurt to have Phil Knight's support when it comes enticing players with NIL. I also think he would make sure to have skilled recruiters on his staff.

@latracey I don't mean to pick on you as I am only grabbing one example of the same themes I am seeing on OBD.  You just did a really excellent job of summing them up in a few sentences.

To me, these sentiments all read like textbook examples of rationalization.  You are talking yourselves into this being at all a good idea when, I suspect, deep down, you kinda know it isn't.  

None of Oregon's past coaches have been Nick Saban so when you start latching onto the past, it is a red flag.  There is a line in Michael Clayton that captures this perfectly.  The context is the head of the firm talking to Michael Clayton about the past:

And if it's nostalgia? "Oh boy you should've seen me when I was a D.A. back in Queens." Let me give you a serious piece of advice. Leave it there. God forbid you're not as good as you remember because I've seen that happen too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Guest Axel

Could Chip recreate the magic that he brought to Oregon in his first go round? You bet he could. The man is an offensive genius who knows the ropes at Oregon and who knows how to get the most of the resources he has available to him here.

It's true he hasn't been able to translate his success at Oregon anywhere else, although he did just have a pretty good season at UCLA. If he can somehow keep the boosters from having his head, I think UCLA's  future trajectory is positive.

He's a character who rubs many the wrong way, but you have to admit, his brand of football extremely entertaining. His whole persona is pretty entertaining, as far as that goes.

That all said, my vote is 100% for Justin Wilcox, however, I don't get a vote. My inside people are telling me the ones who do are casting their nets towards Charles... Kelly that is.

latracey, I appreciate your insights on Chip Kelly and Justin Wilcox. You've made a very good case for Wilcox. Personally, I favor bringing Chip back, simply because he was the most successful coach in Oregon history. I don't buy the charge that the game has passed him by. 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:23 PM, Steven A said:

And Mullens said "what was shared with me is that the OFFICIAL CONTACT came on Saturday morning. That’s what’s been shared with me.”  

With agents involved, how could it be any different????

If the implication is that this is all handled by the people who represent the people unbeknownst to the people who are represented, then that's hogwash. I will lay you odds that Mullens and Knight knew exactly what was going on in mid November. Joe Moorhead sure did. For that matter, most of the people who post here were well aware of the fact that something was going on the weekend before the Pac 12 Championship game.

A news report I just read reported that Mullens/Knight offered Coach Cristobal an updated contract that was along the lines of what he was being offered by Miami right before the second Utah game. Cristobal wouldn't sign it and Knight saw to it that it was immediately retracted. Phil has been there and done that many times, and he doesn't play games when it comes to these kinds of negotiations.

Chip innovation made Oregon a destination for some of these same kids that MC brought to town I heard many of them say it.

Definitely not a players coach however. He proved that in Philly. Mario was truly a players coach and we all saw how that worked out.

One thing for sure is we wouldn’t have had to watch AB if Chip was here.

Also the strength of the pack 12 was far better then than this years joke. USC, wash, wash st, Stanford, were all much better than this years teams. Chip might of had this team undefeated with all this talent.

I am not sure we can do better but time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 2

Chip is a coach that went into UCLA when they were at ground zero. In his first year he had to suspend several players who were starters. In the four years he has been there UCLA has continually improved, the team is now 8-4, going to a Holiday Bowl, has a lineup that is respected and is starting to attract better talent. During his first year less than 5,000 people showed up for most games at the Rose Bowl. 

This after what he did at Oregon. He is 58 with some miles left on the tires. 

but......if Campbell, Aranda, Fickell, Peterson, Wilcox were willing......might be best to go that direction because Oregon now is a team loaded with talent that does not need a rebuild.....it needs a head coach that can continue the momentum.   

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it just me, or does Chip's UCLA record of 18-25 get anybody's attention?

Hard to see how Chip could have the same level of success as he had in his first rodeo in Eugene.  However, he is a smart (also a person who doesn't suffer fools) guy who can adjust to the changes in the game.  But the recruiting issue and his attitude towards boosters should be a red flag.

Chip would need:

1. Assistants who are top notch recruiters.

2. Attitude adjustment towards boosters.

3. Top notch DC.  We don't need any more Brady Hokes or Don Pellums, though he has been a good LB coach.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:11 PM, Akubra91 said:

Top notch DC

Nick is available

How about NO! Been there, seen this. He could not recruit at UCLA, although he did use the transfer portal to his advantage. And his life long DC is not good.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 2:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

How about NO!

AGREE 100(+) %, or whatever the max % is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am deeply grateful as a fan for all that Kelly accomplished at the U of O. However....

1. He, too, left for greener pastures. 

2. He left a mess, by cutting corners with recruiting. 

3. He is arrogant, and annoys the press and boosters. 

4. He is not a dedicated recruiter. 

5. The system that he used here (not only scheme but nutrition and training) is no longer a novelty. 

Why would we expect better results than he achieved in Westwood?

• Thumbs Up 5

Dan Mullen who won the SEC E in 2020 and took Bama to the wire in the SEC champ game and took Bama to the wire this season in Gainesville is out of a job? He was dissed for not being able to recruit. But the facilities at UF are among the worst in the SEC.

The guy knows how to coach up a QB. You are bot going to win a title without a top drawer QB.

Many far more in the know than I and I also, I had Bama plus the points stated that UGA would not beat Bama with Stetson Bennett at the helm.

Smart ran off fields and never had Daniels on the field vs Bama.

If Mullens is seriously talking with Chip, then he need a couple thing:

- Hire a good director of recruiting + staff to support that

- Bring in Helfrich as OC.  Like him or not, Mark's high offensive IQ allowed him to modify the schemes every year to keep it effective against teams who were becoming better prepared for it.

Apologies if I repeat a previously stated sentiment, but I had to “pass go” and immediately land on replying to this thread.

“You can’t go home again!”

From everything that was slowly but steadily revealed about CK’s truculent attitude toward recruiting, and his crepé-paper thin skin, his return would be disasterous!

If we’re going to go with a cranky offensive savant, go after Mike Leach.

You can’t go home again because home doesn’t exist anymore-it’s different now and that’s before discussing what we know CK will be bringing a full u-haul of, back to Eugene!

If the Ducks hire Chip, which I oppose, there is one unmentioned aspect of his work that we badly need.  Chip's teams at Oregon were in better physical condition than any other team we played.  We won many games in the 4th quarter when the opposing "D" had hands on hips.  At Philly, when the players bought into his conditioning philosophy, they did well.  But the pros are not college kids, and would not sustain the program Chip demanded.  If Chip could bring that conditioning back, reducing the injuries, he just may be the right person.

• Thumbs Up 2

Defenses have figured out the spread.  Not the same splash it once was.  Chip needed 4 years to get sUCLA to a bowl, in the fertile recruiting grounds of SoCal.

Please, no...

• Thumbs Up 1

I can not understand why in the world we would want to hire a guy who hates to recruit!  MC was one of the best at that, if not the best. To go to one of the worst at recruiting makes zero sense.   Yes, other than Saban, they all have their weaknesses.  But come on, get someone who can recruit. Maybe we don't have to have a top 5 recruiter, but he should at least be in the top 20, no?  

On 12/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, latracey said:

As a side note, Justin Wilcox is a former student of mine, as well as a former player I had the honor of coaching back when he was in middle school in Junction City. He was our skilled beyond his years quarterback, and he led us to an undefeated season.

Well, I was on the other side of the ball then when you guys were playing against Glide. For some reason I don't remember Justin as a QB, but I definitely remember him as a linebacker. I got to feel that first hand as I was the QB for Glide......but this was high school I am talking about, in junior high we played more local teams in Roseburg.

Small world........which is why I like Oregon/Eugene so much. 

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, jrw said:

I think that keeping Coach Joe is imperative in this instance. Not as the RC, but just because he’s a great recruiter. 

It would be just our luck that Boston College would open up and Chip would suddenly feel a yearning to go home to NE.

• Haha 3

Chip is not a likely choice if Phil is involved, which I think is a certainty since the contract needed to get the new coach will require Phil agreeing to fund any amount not able to be covered by the athletic department.  Chip’s direct lack of respect to Phil prior to accepting UCLA job still does not sit well with Phil.  

I hate to sound skeptical, I hope your right, but I herd this same thing with the last two coaches when they were hired… “Chips in the middle of negotiations, Mullens just met with Chip, he’ll be here in a few days, announcement coming….” Bla bla bla… like I said, I hope your right, but in reality, I don’t think Chip really liked Eugene all that much… 

On 12/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I’m with you and Matt Prehm. 

"Are you hiring Chip Kelly because of what he did at Oregon from 2007-2012? Or are you hiring Chip Kelly the UCLA head coach and what he's done there? College football has drastically changed since his Oregon days. So has his success."

Thinking more on it, I don’t entirely agree with Prehm. I believe Coach Kelly can definitely still coach, and he still evolves on offense. It just seems like if you don’t want to recruit, that’s not going to get you to where you want to be in today’s football. I just wouldn’t want it to feel like going backwards. 

Chip’s buyout is 9 million dollars!!! I know it’s a bummer not having a coach lined up for early signing day but saving the entire $9,000,000 just by waiting until January 16th seems worth it to me!

On 12/6/2021 at 10:03 PM, Silversabre said:

Chip’s buyout is 9 million dollars!!! I know it’s a bummer not having a coach lined up for early signing day but saving the entire $9,000,000 just by waiting until January 16th seems worth it to me!

Who cares about billionaire's monopoly money that is being throw around/away?

Uncle Phil:  Chip, you can have the best job in college football if you promise to play nice with me and other donors.

Chip:  Did you make your bed this morning?

Uncle Phil:  Sigh.

• Haha 1