Duck1984

Utah Losses a Result of the Plan?

Fired Miami coach Manny Diaz says the situation has been mishandled for weeks:

"I am disappointed in the University's decision and the manner in which this played out over the last few weeks," Diaz said in a statement. "The uncertainty impacted our team, our staff and their families -- these are real people that gave everything to this program. For that, for them, I hurt."

Was Cristobal coaching with his mind elsewhere?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

You would think so as was Moorehead. I'm actually surprised at how the OrSt game turned out considering that this all went down at the

time of that game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Would Utah have 3 Ls if Rising was the QB on opening day?

On 12/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Would Utah have 3 Ls if Rising was the QB on opening day?

Would the Ducks have 3Ls if Thompson was the QB on opening day?

Hard to say in either case, but we saw the poor game planning and in game coaching against Utah during the weeks that Miami boosters were hatching the plan to get Mario.

In truth Utah was the only team that could execute the surefire way to beat Oregon this year. 

1. Sell out to stop the run. 

2. Have decent enough backs to maintain coverage on short routes long enough for the pass rush to force Brown to throw or run out of the pocket. 

3. Force Brown to throw the ball downfield, ideally across the middle. Brown generally misses open receivers across the middle and also throws his worst passes across the middle. Brown will not make any significant deep passes. 

4. Use all the time you get from Oregon going 3 and out to eat up clock and score points. 

5. Brown plays hero ball and makes everything worse. 

Other teams tried to do this but failed because Oregon could maintain their run game all season. Utah was the only team to truly succeed at this.

Stanford got lucky with a mixture of Oregon injuries, Moorhead being out for surgery and some highly questionable ref calls. 

If Oregon had a true passing quarterback then Utah would have had to devote more to coverage which would have opened up the run and Oregon would have potentially won the game(s). Oregon couldn't change their scheme to beat Utah because Oregon didn't have the quarterback to beat Utah. Yes, you could say maybe one of the freshman would have done the trick... but the coaches didn't believe them capable of doing what they needed... so that is a different discussion. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 5:35 PM, David Marsh said:

In truth Utah was the only team that could execute the surefire way to beat Oregon this year. 

1. Sell out to stop the run. 

2. Have decent enough backs to maintain coverage on short routes long enough for the pass rush to force Brown to throw or run out of the pocket. 

3. Force Brown to throw the ball downfield, ideally across the middle. Brown generally misses open receivers across the middle and also throws his worst passes across the middle. Brown will not make any significant deep passes. 

4. Use all the time you get from Oregon going 3 and out to eat up clock and score points. 

5. Brown plays hero ball and makes everything worse. 

Other teams tried to do this but failed because Oregon could maintain their run game all season. Utah was the only team to truly succeed at this.

Stanford got lucky with a mixture of Oregon injuries, Moorhead being out for surgery and some highly questionable ref calls. 

If Oregon had a true passing quarterback then Utah would have had to devote more to coverage which would have opened up the run and Oregon would have potentially won the game(s). Oregon couldn't change their scheme to beat Utah because Oregon didn't have the quarterback to beat Utah. Yes, you could say maybe one of the freshman would have done the trick... but the coaches didn't believe them capable of doing what they needed... so that is a different discussion. 

Of course, Oregon has 2 QBs who lit it up in HS sitting behind a journeyman QB who played like he has his entire career. OR to date has wasted quality WR recruits.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/6/2021 at 2:35 PM, David Marsh said:

Do you believe that Joe Morehead wasn’t capable of an offensive game plan to counter the same D approach he saw multiple times?  I believe he checked out after missing the Stanford game.

My question is when did Mario check out?

• Thumbs Up 3

I couldn't agree more with David. Our losses to Utah started when Moorehead selected a QB with marginal passing skills and MC  signed off on a 20 yards and a cloud dust passing game. It was only a matter of time before we were exposed. Let's look for our mistakes and try not to repeat them. GO DUCKS !!

Guest KingT
On 12/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, Duck1984 said:

Fired Miami coach Manny Diaz says the situation has been mishandled for weeks:

"I am disappointed in the University's decision and the manner in which this played out over the last few weeks," Diaz said in a statement. "The uncertainty impacted our team, our staff and their families -- these are real people that gave everything to this program. For that, for them, I hurt."

Was Cristobal coaching with his mind elsewhere?

There's no doubt in my mind the last 3-4 weeks Cristobal has had a distracted mind and troubled heart. The last game showed a complete coaching failure. While I don't blame him, he let down that team in those final weeks and it showed vs Utah.

MC turned his back on these kids. He should be ashamed. Fine if he wants to go, but these kids deserved better from him. 

Trust me, this is a blessing in disguise, just like when Willie Left.  In four years, this offense has been MIA, the defense this year MIA.  Get us a Coach and then watch Ducks Fly.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I think MC was a vulnerable guy. I also think that he will regret ever leaving the Ducks.

But... there were lots of alumni including former players as well as multi multi millionaires pushing for him to be the new FACE of Miami football.

In the long run he will be treated just like Diaz.

But he will have $$$$$ going to a lesser division school.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think you are right 1Ducker1,  Mario will unfortunately never have it as good as he had it in Oregon, and when he doesn’t win the Natty in 3 or 4 years he will get the Diaz treatment.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, Duck1984 said:

Do you believe that Joe Morehead wasn’t capable of an offensive game plan to counter the same D approach he saw multiple times?  I believe he checked out after missing the Stanford game.

My question is when did Mario check out?

I don’t know Moorhead was awful at Mississippi St. why would he any different for the Ducks? 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:26 PM, Autzen said:

I don’t know Moorhead was awful at Mississippi St. why would he any different for the Ducks? 

The roster he inherited?

Utah was senior ladden with lots of experience. We had the youngest team in the country.

They also ran a 12/13 style of offense which gave us fits all year. I believe having nothing but Fr and walk ons at inside linebacker was our Achilles heel against that and it showed.

It was stated above perfectly  about how to stop our offense and they did so. Nothing more to say.

Also the kids knew what was going on and it showed.

No, I don't think so. MC is a wonderful recruiter. When he had the game plan of smash mouth implemented, some teams folded but it was never a blow out. ISU proved that you can't just play smash mouth but you need to throw wrinkles in there if you were going to beat them. Staying with AB is case in point as well. Watching an average QB with difficulties between the ears should have garnered a harder look at the roster. Jonathan Smith saw mediocrity and switched QB's. Kyle Whittingham saw mediocrity early and switched QB's. I loved MC, but he struggled in making the hard snap decisions that are needed to win