Charles Fischer

Oregon Names Bryan McClendon Interim Head Coach

(Oregon Athletics Press Release)

EUGENE, Ore. — Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens has named Bryan McClendon interim head football coach for the upcoming Valero Alamo Bowl. McClendon is in his second season with the Ducks, serving as pass game coordinator and wide receivers coach.

McClendon came to Oregon after spending four years as an assistant coach at South Carolina, including the final two as offensive coordinator. He began his coaching career at Georgia – his alma mater – from 2007 to 2015, earning a promotion to assistant head coach ahead of his final season with the Bulldogs. McClendon served as Georgia’s interim head coach for the 2015 TaxSlayer Bowl.

“We appreciate Coach McClendon agreeing to accept a leadership role in providing the best possible bowl experience for our student-athletes,” Mullens said. “His previous experience as an interim head coach is valuable for our program as we prepare for the Alamo Bowl, and we are grateful for his willingness to step up and assume this responsibility for Oregon football.”

The No. 14 Ducks (10-3) will take on No. 16 Oklahoma (10-2) on Wednesday, Dec. 29, at the Alamodome (6:15 p.m. PT, ESPN).

Oregon Names McClendon Interim Head Coach

Duck1984....I hope you don't mind me deleting yours as I was publishing the official Press Release.  But I very much appreciate how you and others are posting news and articles!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I don't know the pecking order but he seems pretty far down on the list. Is there even enough staff left to conduct practices and manage a game plan?

Unleash the freshman QBs and WRs and let r rip!

• Thumbs Up 2

Much better, and much appreciated Charles!

• Thanks 1

I have to admit to liking the Bellotti idea better. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:51 PM, OregonRich said:

I have to admit to liking the Bellotti idea better. 

He should let Belotti be the OC. However, his offense might be too advanced for what this teams is used to.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He is a WR coach which means good for our passing game. Also we have a lot of advisors to take over for any coaches that leave. Just like WSU this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

From Georgia he spent almost his entire life in the south, interesting he didn't join Mario in Miami.

Guest KingT
On 12/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, McDuck said:

From Georgia he spent almost his entire life in the south, interesting he didn't join Mario in Miami.

Not yet anyway, it's early. I think it makes some sense. Offensive side is decimated with Mario, Alex and Joe gone, so you need some continuity there for a few weeks. He might also have relationships that can help keep things together for a bit of time.

On 12/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, KingT said:

Offensive side is decimated with Mario, Alex and Joe gone, so you need some continuity there for a few weeks.

Do you mean to say that the offensive suppression is decimated?

Also, is there confirmation that Mirabal is not sticking around for the time being?

On 12/6/2021 at 5:58 PM, Duck 1972 said:

He is a WR coach which means good for our passing game. Also we have a lot of advisors to take over for any coaches that leave. Just like WSU this year.

Gives me a bit of optimism he might put in the freshman qb's and let it fly

Is he the downfield passing coordinator, the guy that has been in Mario's closet banging on the door yelling, 'LET ME OUT!'

Welcome and let's see what you can do, Go Ducks!

• Like 1

I find it quite ironic that the coach of the two things MC prioritized the least is our interim. A plea for the young WRs and QBs to stay?

• Thumbs Up 1

Let er rip. Almost any passing game will be better than what we had.

I like BMac as the interim! I'm, personally, glad MC is gone. I wanted him gone two years ago. Hope he succeeds at Miami but this was the place where he'd last longer than seven years being an average coach. He won't last that long in Miami. 

If I were McClendon, I would run this by Mullens. We put out an open invitation to any "retired" Oregon football coach to come in and assist in the bowl game preparations. I bet a lot would jump on that opportunity!

Good strategic move here. McClendon is the best recruiter we have left, and may actually have been the best recruiter on the team at this point. 

This is a move to calm the troops and try to keep things in place. 

A good move in my book for sure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically thats a big middle finger to the past coach. 

Hope he can have some success.

Dimpleducks...sorry to delete your posts, but this has been posted and discussed last night and was below among the topics.

Do see your email and THANKS for posting as double-posts are a good problem to have!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck